Maasdam "downunder"

erewhon

While viewing Oosterdam berthed at Port Chalmers today, had a quick look at the Port Cruise Ship schedule, was pleased to see that both Noordam and Maasdam are booked for our summer cruise seasons of 2016 /2017 and again for 2017/2018.

Hoping that Maasdam will indeed be stationed down here for a couple of seasons.

That's a pleasantry to look forward to :). We've spent more nights on Maasdam than any other ship. Sounds like she hasn't been sold yet. Good news for us who like the older vessels. m--

Edited by RMLincoln

• 2 weeks later...
While viewing Oosterdam berthed at Port Chalmers today, had a quick look at the Port Cruise Ship schedule, was pleased to see that both Noordam and Maasdam are booked for our summer cruise seasons of 2016 /2017 and again for 2017/2018.

Hoping that Maasdam will indeed be stationed down here for a couple of seasons.

How often is Maasdam booked or is it just a hit and run.

Huh, didn't know the Maasdam was scheduled to go down under.

Seems strange they would put her down there, as her two sister ships will be there cruising under the P&O lines.

I imagine that those two ships will be doing different itineraries.

Maybe HAL has discovered that other cruise lines have more than one ship out here for our summer season, for instance, Princess has 4 ships this season, the Diamond, the Dawn, Sun and the Sea Princess.

I think "summer" means winter up north; perhaps in our summer Maasdam will be in Alaska for a while. Sail, I've known since I was on Maasdam that in 2016 it would be doing the 14-day Alaska, and I expect it will continue that for a while. Not convenient but not totally out of reach.

Looks like 2016 will be the last time she does the Carnival/Amazon cruise.

Roy

I think "summer" means winter up north; perhaps in our summer Maasdam will be in Alaska for a while. Sail, I've known since I was on Maasdam that in 2016 it would be doing the 14-day Alaska, and I expect it will continue that for a while. Not convenient but not totally out of reach.

Roy

Thanks, Roy. If I hope to sail Maasdam again, I'd best get a booking on her before she leaves the East Coast. I'm not likely to fly to sail Alaska on my own. :(

Roy

Yes, our summer season is when you have winter in the Northern Hemisphere.

Today March 1st, is the first day of our Autumn.

Sounds like Maasdam will arrive in Sydney on October 20th 2016, at the completion of the Trans Pacific cruise.

Looking at the Sydney Ports Schedule, I see no mention of the Volendam after 2015 but there is mention of the Rotterdam. There are several sailings for the Maasdam out of Sydney but from what I can see the dates look all different to the present schedules. Who knows what HAL is planning!

Ozcruizer

Looking at the Sydney Ports Schedule, I see no mention of the Volendam after 2015 but there is mention of the Rotterdam. There are several sailings for the Maasdam out of Sydney but from what I can see the dates look all different to the present schedules. Who knows what HAL is planning!

Ozcruizer

Maybe HAL know :confused:,. But I am really confused.

Ozcruizer

Volendam is scheduled through the April 16, 2016 19-DAY NORTH PACIFIC CROSSING ending Vancouver.

I imagine those Volendam sailings are just the end of that particular deployment where the V sails on to Asia after the circumnavigation of Australia and stays there until it does the North Pacific crossing to Alaska, but the last Australia would see of it would be late November 2015.

Just my thoughts! How would I know what HAL are doing :confused:

Ozcruizer

last time we were onboard the Maasdam in January heard that a lot of changes are in the works with this newly formed HAL Group including combining Mariner days on HAL and Princess--have to see it to believe it.... my guess is -- it's not to our benefit somehow.. they brought in an outsider to run HAL with Stein Kruse moving up to head the group

Maasdam will be heading out to the West Coast and beyond after May 2016 so we'll be trying to do as many cruises as we can on her.. thought maybe it would takeover the Statendam's itineraries Hawaii--Tahiti--Peru--Canal but it sure doesn't look like it.. I guess there's always hope...what a shame.. we heard the Rotterdam is supposed to replace her in New England.. we shall see..

guess they are using the Maasdam for NZ and that area in 2016 and 2017 thru early 2018 when it will most likely be sold off/ transferred-- to P&O Australia like the Statendam and Ryndam will be in Sept 2015..we also heard the Prinsendam is scheduled to go 'bye-bye' at the same time the Maasdam goes to other pastures

oh well.. it was a nice run on the Maasdam these many years.. so far we have sailed her 22 times and 426 cruise days with more to follow.. needless to say it is without a doubt our favorite ship

my take on all this FWIW..change for the sake of change will ruin HAL as we all know it..

Edited by Stakeout

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, Roy. If I hope to sail Maasdam again, I'd best get a booking on her before she leaves the East Coast. I'm not likely to fly to sail Alaska on my own. :(

I'm sad she is leaving the East Coast too. She is my favorite ship. I'll miss her.

last time we were onboard the Maasdam in January heard that a lot of changes are in the works with this newly formed HAL Group including combining Mariner days on HAL and Princess--have to see it to believe it.... my guess is -- it's not to our benefit somehow.. they brought in an outsider to run HAL with Stein Kruse moving up to head the group

Maasdam will be heading out to the West Coast and beyond after May 2016 so we'll be trying to do as many cruises as we can on her.. thought maybe it would takeover the Statendam's itineraries Hawaii--Tahiti--Peru--Canal but it sure doesn't look like it.. I guess there's always hope...what a shame.. we heard the Rotterdam is supposed to replace her in New England.. we shall see..

guess they are using the Maasdam for NZ and that area in 2016 and 2017 thru early 2018 when it will most likely be sold off/ transferred-- to P&O Australia like the Statendam and Ryndam will be in Sept 2015..we also heard the Prinsendam is scheduled to go 'bye-bye' at the same time the Maasdam goes to other pastures

oh well.. it was a nice run on the Maasdam these many years.. so far we have sailed her 22 times and 426 cruise days with more to follow.. needless to say it is without a doubt our favorite ship

my take on all this FWIW..change for the sake of change will ruin HAL as we all know it..

Maasdam, indeed, has a lot of very loyal Mariners. She is a favorite ship of many. I have over 800 days on HAL and about 35 cruises on her. I don't know how many days on Maasdam but think I'll go to my Mariner Account later and count. Now I'm curious. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Cruise Critic member "RetiredMustang" has posted on his thread "Live from Maasdam 14 day Southern Caribbean" cruise, that Captain Jutten has confirmed that Maasdam will visit "down under" later next year.