Celebrity Equinox

MrsDave

Hi,

We have never been on this line but, have heard good things. We are looking at the 11 Day Western Med sailing and would like any info you can give us on Celebrity.

Someone said the food wasn't all that great..but, you can't please all the people all the time..and..quite frankly, it came to me third hand..so, I don't know what kind of food that person likes or doesn't!

Can someone also explain how the excursions work on Celebrity..

Love the ports they are going to..

Thanks so much for your responses:)

Tina

Hi,

We have never been on this line but, have heard good things. We are looking at the 11 Day Western Med sailing and would like any info you can give us on Celebrity.

Someone said the food wasn't all that great..but, you can't please all the people all the time..and..quite frankly, it came to me third hand..so, I don't know what kind of food that person likes or doesn't!

Can someone also explain how the excursions work on Celebrity..

Love the ports they are going to..

Thanks so much for your responses:)

Tina

Tina we first sailed Celebrity in 1994 and after 7 diff lines over the years it is our favorite.

We sailed the 11 day southern Carrib on Equinox last Nov, and are returning for the 10 Eastern Carrib this year with 4 other couple from that cruise.

Scan thru the threads here on CC and you will find many topics and comments.

Welcome to Celebrity.

EW

Edited by wallie5446

Tina we first sailed Celebrity in 1994 and after 7 diff lines over the years it is our favorite.

We sailed the 11 day southern Carrib on Equinox last Nov, and are returning for the 10 Eastern Carrib this year with 4 other couple from that cruise.

Scan thru the threads here on CC and you will find many topics and comments.

Welcome to Celebrity.

EW

Agree 100%, you will love the Equinox. We sailed with wallie5446 and will join him again on the 10 day eastern.

I think you will love Equinox. When I boarded her in Novemepber, I said "if you can't be happy here you just aren't trying." Ship beautiful. Staff well trained and effective. Food was very good. Each port has many excursions and doubt Celebrity much better or worse than major lines, but have never had a bad Celebrity excursion. In Mediterranean yiu have many options both booking on your own and through the cruise line. Have a look at my review of Spain to Florida cruise last fall a http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2118870

- Joel

Mrs. Dave what a great question. Celebrity was our first cruise line more than 20 years ago. We have sailed the 5 Main cruise lines and like others, we keep gravitating back to Celebrity. I look for good value, the date I wish to travel, a newer ship, and a great itinerary at a fair price. Food, like you say, is subjective. The left side of the MDR menu always has 3 staples: beef, chicken & fish in case you don't care for something on the menu of the day. The buffet has numerous stations and offers; salad, fruits, meats, entree's and deserts with the opportunity to go back for more. Service is usually A1. Entertainment is varied and the variety of lounge music is fine. Give Celebrity a try.

Tina, one more thing as to the food, our last sailing was also for 11 days, my wife and I run 10-12 Half Marathons a year. I broke a record this last cruise and came home with 10 lbs more than I left with!:eek:

And this was still doing laps every morning and the gym a few times. I am by no means a stuffer but oh my the Beef Tar Tar in Tuscan was to die for! And Silk Harvest was beyond describing!

fish.jpg.f5db1709b958ad88b9261c24994b72d9.jpg

What kind of info are you looking for on the excursions? There are plenty on offer in every port if you want to use the ship excursions, but they can be pricey and usually are large. They also move at the pace of the slowest person. . .

Lots of people find the roll call for their cruise here and join with others on private excursions, usually at a lower price, smaller, and more customizable.

Still others, me usually, research each port and find out what we want to see there, and then how to get there using public transport. We like seeing the cities from a locals' point of view, and the added benefit is that they are much less expensive. Rick Steves has an excellent Mediterranean port guide that you can consult.

Celebrity does a great job in the Med, the ships are beautiful, food is very good and we have met the nicest people on board!

I really like this ship. Just went on a 10 day in December which was my 2nd time on Equinox. I thought the food was very good overall in the MDR and buffet. The buffet food can get a little monotonous after a while. I enjoyed Café el Bacio each day and the drinks were always flowing at the Mast Bar and the Sunset bar. We had a sunset veranda cabin this time and enjoyed the scenery and the wake from the ship. This was a relaxing cruise. Our next scheduled cruise is the 14 day on the Eclipse out of Miami. That is the ultimate Caribbean cruise in my eyes! Have a great time on the Equinox!

Thank you all for your insight and info

I love CC...because you get the "real deal" from real passengers..

I arranged for all of our private tours last year on Oceania...so, I will look on the threads here for excursion info...

I may have some other questions and appreciate all the info...

Tina:)

Our first celebrity cruise was a med cruise on the Equinox. Last year. As soon as we returned we booked again for this year for 13 nights med cruise. We had a fabulous time. Converted my husband to cruising. Now that's a win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Pushka

Has anyone been on Princess and if so, do you think both lines are comparable.

Last year we cruised on Oceania...way too expensive for what you get.

Thanks all for your advice and opinions

Tina

I think they are comparable with one huge exception--the ships! I don't know which ship you are considering, but the S Class ships on Celebrity are miles ahead of Princess (the jewel ships, Sapphire, Ruby, etc). No comparison at all. S class ships are gorgeous, sleek, modern, beautiful decor, lots of artwork, open atrium from deck 3 to deck 15. I found the princess ship to be actually ugly, and very closed in. My taste of course.

Food was comparable, service I give the edge to celebrity in most areas, can't speak to entertainment, but in general they are more similar than not. But I would never consider sailing on that class of Princess ship again. . .

Has anyone been on Princess and if so, do you think both lines are comparable.

Last year we cruised on Oceania...way too expensive for what you get.

Thanks all for your advice and opinions

Tina

Tina our 1st Princess cruise was in 1992, our most recent was on the Ruby in 2012. We sailed with my wife's best friend and husband with over 20 cruises.

They absoulty loved it, I thought it was so-so, and my wife felt it was one of the worst cruises she has been on. Go figure, 4 very experienced cruisers that spend 7 days on the same ship, and come away with totally different thoughts and experiences. We all sailed together again in 2013 on the Reflection. The friends liked it, but thought it to expensive. The Reflection is my wife's an mine favorite ship!

The product delivered by Celebrity, for the dollar paid, IOHO, is the best.

We have not sailed on a Premium line like Oceania.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your shared info...we booked the Equinox for 2016..the deal is fabulous!

Joel...thanks for sending the link...will look at it..

SO excited and CC is the best thing that could happen to any traveler

I hope I can pay forward all the great info!

Thanks, folks!

Tina

Thanks for all your shared info...we booked the Equinox for 2016..the deal is fabulous!

Joel...thanks for sending the link...will look at it..

SO excited and CC is the best thing that could happen to any traveler

I hope I can pay forward all the great info!

Thanks, folks!

Tina

Congratulations.

I still remember my 11 day Eastern Med cruise on the Equinox.

the Med was like glass and nver saw a cloud in the sky. we sailed in early Sept.

I love the Sunset bar for sailaway, the grass, the wicker chairs, great drinks. do try the peach Sangria. It is NA but oh so good after a hot tiring day in port.

We always had a late night cap up there too. Standing at the rail watching the wake as theship glide through the sea, with the sky full of stars, and your heart full of gratitude for the day you had, and looking forward to sweet dreams in a comfy bed... Life is good.

Congratulations.

I still remember my 11 day Eastern Med cruise on the Equinox.

the Med was like glass and nver saw a cloud in the sky. we sailed in early Sept.

I love the Sunset bar for sailaway, the grass, the wicker chairs, great drinks. do try the peach Sangria. It is NA but oh so good after a hot tiring day in port.

We always had a late night cap up there too. Standing at the rail watching the wake as theship glide through the sea, with the sky full of stars, and your heart full of gratitude for the day you had, and looking forward to sweet dreams in a comfy bed... Life is good.

can't wait....loved reading your reply...live life richly! :)

One warning about the food, don't plan on trying everything unless you plan on gaining a lot of weight. It is very easy to do because there are so many choices and if it is your first time cruising it is hard to resist. Actually if you do take or order something that you do not like the taste of don't feel as if you have to consume it, just leave it and order or get something else. You won't be scolded or chastised by the servers.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I think they are comparable with one huge exception--the ships! I don't know which ship you are considering, but the S Class ships on Celebrity are miles ahead of Princess (the jewel ships, Sapphire, Ruby, etc). No comparison at all. S class ships are gorgeous, sleek, modern, beautiful decor, lots of artwork, open atrium from deck 3 to deck 15. I found the princess ship to be actually ugly, and very closed in. My taste of course.

Food was comparable, service I give the edge to celebrity in most areas, can't speak to entertainment, but in general they are more similar than not. But I would never consider sailing on that class of Princess ship again. . .

Have you tried the Royal or Regal? Been on both of these new ships and they are fab! Just got off Regal and have done 3 S-Class within the past 5 months. To me, both cruise lines have their pluses and minuses.

X- charges more for Specialty Restaurants compare to Princess. Princess is $25, X is $45 and 50.

Even items sold on the ships are higher on X.

Entertainment is better on Princess. Food is equal. Cabins are better on X. I could go on, but everyone has theri opinion.

Just got off the Equinox last Friday. The ship was in great shape and the food was very good. Lots of daytime activities and entertainment wasn't bad. Hard to get a seat at the pool on sea days. Lots of hand washing and Purell. Booked again!

What did you think of the evening after 10pm activities/entertainment?

As others have stated, there are pros and cons to both lines. However, in my opinion, the cons are so insignificant that I would jump at the chance to sail on either line any time! I have sailed on Princess three times and just completed my 2nd Equinox cruise, with a cruise on Solstice booked for 2016...and looking at Princess in Tahiti for 2017. I am not a foodie by any means and am happy with either MDR selections, Oceanview Café or just a scoop of gelato. Equinox gets my vote for a better shower since they have a door rather than the shower curtain...but Princess has the self-serve laundry on every deck. Again, little things that mean a lot to some and absolutely nothing to others.

Enjoy Equinox...she is beautiful!!!