NCL should consider this

SAILPRO

NCL should consider offering UBP for individual and not forcing everyone in the same stateroom to purchase since not everyone in the party drinks beer, wines, soda, and etc.

They do offer UDP and unlimited fountain soda to individual for purchase and not forcing everyone in the same stateroom to purchase, correct?

Why not also offer UBP package just for individual and not forcing everyone in the party to purchase?

In matter of fact, as I remembered, UDP and unlimited fountain soda packages were not offer in the past but only recently.

I know, lots of you will say....this will prevent drinks being shared with your parties not paying, which I totally agreed.

How about this, have similar policy to buffet restaurants about wasting food, 'if you get caught sharing drinks, you'll have to pay double.'

I am sure this will resolved the sharing drink issue real quick!

But think about it...if you're traveling with someone and/or with family of 4.

Your partner don't drinks beer, wines, and even soda, and your kids don't even drink soda. If they do, I am willing to pay since we're on vacation.

How many are willing to purchase UBP for all and not everyone is using the package to get their money's worth?

I am willing to pay for individual UBP ($434.7 total for 7 days), in order to try other drinks. But have to pay for 1 other party that don't drinks $434.7 x 2 = $869.40 (2 guests), $1,000+ (4 guests) this is too much and not worth it.

Don't think NCL is not going to loose $$ on this. But rather trying to squeeze a few more $$$ from everyone.

If is about loosing $$, then why so many all-u-can-eat buffet restaurants out there?

Question, if UBP was not part of the promo (solo & inside excluded).

How many are willing to pay $869.40 (2 guests), or $1000+ (4 guests) for the UBP package?

But if individual UBP is offer, there will be lots of folks willing to pay for it.

Especially the folks that travel solo and inside stateroom.

There are lots of threads questioning wheather UBP or UDP is a better choice.

I am sure there are many out there that are in this situation.

Especially the folks that travel solo and inside stateroom that are not qualify for the UBP or UDP promo anyway.

Hopefully NCL is reading this...

No flaming please since this is something to think about and hopefully NCL is listening to their latitude members. ;)

Thanks!

NCL should consider offering UBP for individual and not forcing everyone in the same stateroom to purchase since not everyone in the party drinks beer, wines, soda, and etc.

They do offer UDP and unlimited fountain soda to individual for purchase and not forcing everyone in the same stateroom to purchase, correct?

Why not also offer UBP package just for individual and not forcing everyone in the party to purchase?

In matter of fact, as I remembered, UDP and unlimited fountain soda packages were not offer in the past but only recently.

I know, lots of you will say....this will prevent drinks being shared with your parties not paying, which I totally agreed.

How about this, have similar policy to buffet restaurants about wasting food, 'if you get caught sharing drinks, you'll have to pay double.'

I am sure this will resolved the sharing drink issue real quick!

But think about it...if you're traveling with someone and/or with family of 4.

Your partner don't drinks beer, wines, and even soda, and your kids don't even drink soda. If they do, I am willing to pay since we're on vacation.

How many are willing to purchase UBP for all and not everyone is using the package to get their money's worth?

I am willing to pay for individual UBP ($434.7 total for 7 days), in order to try other drinks. But have to pay for 1 other party that don't drinks $434.7 x 2 = $869.40 (2 guests), $1,000+ (4 guests) this is too much and not worth it.

Don't think NCL is not going to loose $$ on this. But rather trying to squeeze a few more $$$ from everyone.

If is about loosing $$, then why so many all-u-can-eat buffet restaurants out there?

Question, if UBP was not part of the promo (solo & inside excluded).

How many are willing to pay $869.40 (2 guests), or $1000+ (4 guests) for the UBP package?

But if individual UBP is offer, there will be lots of folks willing to pay for it.

There are lots of threads questioning wheather UBP or UDP is a better choice.

I am sure there are many out there that are in this situation.

Especially the folks that travel solo and inside stateroom that are not qualify for the UBP or UDP promo anyway.

Hopefully NCL is reading this...

No flaming please since this is something to think about and hopefully NCL is listening to their latitude members. ;)

Thanks!

The UBP exists to make NCL money and for no other reason. Selling two UBP packages makes NCL more money and prevents sharing of drinks. So I would not expect to see a change any time soon.

I think that ALL the cruiselines offering an alcoholic beverage package should do it in the form of a "punch-card". Set a maximum number of drinks per day (obviously where there is still a profit margin) and then what difference does it make who actually consumes them? So what if a couple or a group decide to split one package. There's no way to abuse the system - once your daily maximum is hit you pay OOP.

The only reason I can figure that this hasn't been implemented by any line is that the beverage package business is a major cash cow due to people NOT drinking enough to cut into what must be a massive profit margin.

I guess, unfortunately, there was too much sharing and that is why NCL has the policy. I'm sure you have seen the threads on here asking how to share a UBP or others giving suggestions as to how to share the package. Sad, but some ruin it for everyone.

My suggestion would be, that if only one in a party of 4 drinks, don't have the UBP, it will probably be cheaper if you just pay for the drinks for the one person.

No flaming at all. The reason is simple: RCL is under no obligation to provide a rock-bottom bargain beverage package that is financially advantageous for you. Even if you think "they wouldn't be losing money" to revise it to your liking. They can -and will - charge what the market will bear.

Carnival has similar stipulations (and a 15-beverage limit to boot) to their beverage package.

You have to determine if the beverage packages as offered make sense for you.

You also have the right to petition NCL for a change to that program here. I suspect making your feeling known in an alternate fashion may have greater effect -especially from a Latitude Member.

Most buffet restaurants also require everyone in the party to pay for the buffet. It is the same policy, for the same reason.

The rule requiring everyone in the cabin to purchase the UBP has no effect on solo travelers, so removing the rule would have no effect on them either.

Many complaints on CC about cruise lines not enforcing rules. Examples would be chair hogs, smoking in non-smoking areas, kids playing on elevators, line cutting in buffet line, saving seats for shows etc. I firmly believe the reason they don 't enforce the rules is they do not want to anger the paying passengers. Imagine the problems a waiter or bartender would have if they were to accuse you of sharing your drink package and demanding double the cost!

Would you accept a claim like that against you if you were not guilty of sharing? Or would you demand "proof"? Would the waiters word be enough proof or would you like high def video proof? I am sure NCL would not enforce the rule and soon it would be a free for all of drink sharing. Sort of like liquor smuggling. There really is no penalty if you get caught using rum runners or something. Now if they denied you boarding, no more problem. But will never happen.

As a Catering Manager for a Large Hotel let me share how I explain this to my clients:

The way these "packages" end up not being a complete loss is because 1 person may have 3 drinks and 1 person may have 20 drinks. When it's all said and done our hope is that it will even out and not be a complete loss for either party. For both parties it is a roll of the dice. I may loose money if everyone has 20 drinks or the group may loose money because everyone only had 4. It is a crap shoot on both sides. The alternative for my clients as it is for you is to pay as you go.

In my opinion it's nice the cruise lines even offer this. As they have the market once you step on the ship there is no need to give you a possible better option.

Would you accept a claim like that against you if you were not guilty of sharing? Or would you demand "proof"? Would the waiters word be enough proof or would you like high def video proof? I am sure NCL would not enforce the rule and soon it would be a free for all of drink sharing. Sort of like liquor smuggling. There really is no penalty if you get caught using rum runners or something. Now if they denied you boarding, no more problem. But will never happen.

There are cameras everywhere on the ship so it's probably possible to provide video proof. On our recent cruise one of the staff told us that they had used the videos after a dispute about a purchase in a bar.

I'm that guy. If NCL didn't require us to buy a UBP for every person who is above drinking age in the cabin, my partner and I would probably consider just purchasing one and sharing it. It's $59 per day. The two of us may drink about that much per day together, but definitely not $59 per person.

My best friend is the opposite. Sharing a package or not, they would drink well over $200 per day because the luxury is there. They're on vacation and they want to enjoy it in their own way.

The industry rule exists to stop both of us. They'd make double the money on me, and lose it on my friend. There's a lot more of "my type" out there. So, the package stays affordable and profitable for the line.

However, they've had the UDP included in oceanview room fares and above for February & March so far, so that point is moot. :)

Cuts down on people trying to cheat the system. Simple as that. Package deals don't really save most of us money; they only offer convenience. They're also a dandy way for the cruiseline to make an easy profit. Nothing wrong with any of that, provided you know the truth and decide what's best for you.

Edited by buckirj1

When you look at the cost of the beverage package per day, you would have to drink a lot of alcohol to get your money's worth. My husband and I don't drink that much, but we like to have a drink or two/day. We don't drink soda. Ultimately, it's cheaper for us to pay for each drink separately. I only have the package for my next cruise because it was a promo and even with only two drinks a day, it gave me the most benefit. (We are with a large group, so I was not interested in the dining package since we would not be able to eat together).

We're going on the epic in two weeks and I didn't UBP any of us. I would of considered it for myself since I drink alcohol but my two girls don't even drink soda!! Seemed a waste to me...so I am forgoing it. I'll POP for the alcohol I'd probably drink no more than three anyway on sea days anyway...

I've been on RCCL as my first cruise and it was easy to get the soda package just for myself. Too bad NCL didn't follow suit.

We're going on the epic in two weeks and I didn't UBP any of us. I would of considered it for myself since I drink alcohol but my two girls don't even drink soda!! Seemed a waste to me...so I am forgoing it. I'll POP for the alcohol I'd probably drink no more than three anyway on sea days anyway...

I've been on RCCL as my first cruise and it was easy to get the soda package just for myself. Too bad NCL didn't follow suit.

The soda package may be purchased onboard individually with no requirement for anyone else to buy it.

that's good! I will make sure and ask when I get onboard. I was planning to bring sodas and water on the ship but if I can get the soda package (and my kids don't have to...) that would make better sense!

Liquor is still the same yes? If you get the liquor package everyone else must get at least the soda package?

Tammy :)

that's good! I will make sure and ask when I get onboard. I was planning to bring sodas and water on the ship but if I can get the soda package (and my kids don't have to...) that would make better sense!

Liquor is still the same yes? If you get the liquor package everyone else must get at least the soda package?

Tammy :)

As far as I know yes.

NCL and all their business/marketing/accountant guys have thought of every imaginable scenario that all of us come up with on this forum and then some. They have found the most profitable options for them that will satisfy a good value to attract customers.

There you go again.

Providing simple logic and valuable information.

To others - of course they have considered it. I can imagine some long discussions about it.

I think that ALL the cruiselines offering an alcoholic beverage package should do it in the form of a "punch-card". Set a maximum number of drinks per day (obviously where there is still a profit margin) and then what difference does it make who actually consumes them? So what if a couple or a group decide to split one package. There's no way to abuse the system - once your daily maximum is hit you pay OOP.

The only reason I can figure that this hasn't been implemented by any line is that the beverage package business is a major cash cow due to people NOT drinking enough to cut into what must be a massive profit margin.

I think this is a brilliant statement! This is what I've been saying for a long time. If there are two people in the same cabin, and only one drinks or drinks very little----what difference does it make really? a 15 drink maximum IS still a 15-drink maximum per day. Who knows, maybe this policy will change someday.