Best Way To Send Passport Renewal

jtwanabe

I'm about to send all my required documents and current passport to

the the "Department of State". I haven't used the post office for a long

time now.

What is the best way to send these documents and my password safely

and securely through the password. :)

JT

I would send it Priority Mail from your local post office or use Fedex. You don't want to use your mailbox or a postal drop box.

I have found that using my local county's service center is the best. No hassle with mailing and they do the passport photo right there. Since you've already filled out the forms then my first suggestion works best for you.

Take care,

Mike

I sent mine priority mail, which ensures it'll get there within (I think) 3 days, and gives you tracking details too. And I took it directly into the PO not dropped in a box somewhere.

I sent my passport renewal this way too & also paid extra for the return of the actual new passport which was delivered to my front door.

time now.

JT

I sent my passport renewal recently by USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation. I stood in line at my local post office to mail it that way. Another option is to send it return receipt requested which costs more.

Edited by winddawn

The Postal Service is your only choice when sending to a PO box. The State Departments recommends the following:

Trackable Delivery Method

A trackable delivery method is defined as any mailing service that allows you, the sender, to confirm the receipt of your package at the intended destination. Trackable delivery methods include:

• USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation
  • USPS Priority Mail with Signature Confirmation
  • USPS Express Mail (for overnight delivery requests) trackable delivery method

USPS Certified Mail and USPS Registered Mail are also forms of trackable mail but take longer to reach the mailing destination than Priority or Express Mail service.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/trackable-delivery-method.html

priority mail ...this gives you a tracking number

you can send priority without standing in line. just pick up a free flat rate package, generally on a stand at the post office ... and you can print the postage at a kiask paying with credit card, then drop in a slot at the post office ... no need to stand in line and talk to a clerk

the new passports are sent priority mail to you at no extra cost, again to provide a tracking number.

after you send your materials in, go to the passport web site and use the tracking tab . . . you can have alerts sent to your e-mail advising you as your passport moves thru the system; especially when it is mailed back to you . . .

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/application-status.html

When I renewed mine last time I got it back in under 2 weeks... "normal processing" but sent via priority mail

I used priority mail to send in DW's passport for correction, which has a similar process to renewal (except there is no fee). It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to co the correction (they received it March 5th).

time now.

JT

Password?? :confused: Just did mine recently and not sure

what password you're referring too.

Mac

I would send it Priority Mail from your local post office or use Fedex. You don't want to use your mailbox or a postal drop box.

I have found that using my local county's service center is the best. No hassle with mailing and they do the passport photo right there. Since you've already filled out the forms then my first suggestion works best for you.

Take care,

Mike

Hey thanks for the info. Didn't know this was an option. No worry about mailing then.