WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

The need to drive one's car along with the price of gas and the price of a drink are in someway related? I have to drive my car. Public transportation is pretty non-existant where I live. I don't have to, nor will I, pay $15-$20 for a drink. I would not enjoy the drink one bit feeling that I had been ripped off. But, hey, that is just me.

Me either. I really look forward to having a few tropical drinks and pineapple juice/rums on vacation, nor do I really "watch" what I spend much either - and I wouldn't pay that for those drinks. Just on principle alone. I'd go without and get a few in port. That is insane.

Totally agree with you both.

So it looks like I got a real bargain at Rita's Fiesta - $ 20 for 3 Patron Perfect Margaritas and more food than I could eat

Yes, based on current bar prices, you got a great deal, even without the food!:)

Edited by clarea

:mad: So what now, even if I get the drink package, I will also have to pay $10+ on top of it for a drink on Coco-Cay (because the drink all you can drink package don't work there?)

Really? Why wouldn't the drink package work on the private islands. We had this premium Drink Package all the way back in 2004....on the 12/13 cruise on the Brilliance... we used the card at Labadee.

Being that these islands are for RCCL guests they have always been considered part of the cruise... I mean, your seapass card works there.

This will be our first Royal cruise. I hate to read this. I am not a big drinker and I have no intention of paying $15 for a weak drink that will melt before I finish it. This is really a dumb decision on somebody's part. First an increase in gratuities now a huge jump in prices. :( Maybe we should have stuck with Carnival.

Unless something has changed, drastically, I have never had a weak drink on any RCCL ship

You may want to consider what we are thinking of doing (if it makes sense given your itin): we will wait until day 5 of our 9 day cruise to purchase a package since the first 4 days are port time and we'll be off the ship a lot.

Again. Have things changed? Used to be one shot to buy the package. 1st day on board. Once on board, you could not purchase it after that.

Again. Have things changed? Used to be one shot to buy the package. 1st day on board. Once on board, you could not purchase it after that.

You can purchase it onboard as long as you have 4 days left. You don't have to buy it the first day.

Edited by dcgrumpy

Yes, they changed several rules in Nov 2013. Now you can purchase the packages for a partial cruise on board. Minimum 4 days and must last until the end of the cruise.

I didn't know the cruise lines were using the Bank's and credit card company's play books. Interesting.

Banks... or airlines.

Apologies if already posted.

Just a sampler!!

Budweiser costs more than Heineken, Dos Equis, and Beck's?!?

Madness! Madness, I say!

Really? Why wouldn't the drink package work on the private islands. We had this premium Drink Package all the way back in 2004....on the 12/13 cruise on the Brilliance... we used the card at Labadee.

Being that these islands are for RCCL guests they have always been considered part of the cruise... I mean, your seapass card works there.

The drink packages are valid at the private stops. However, the packages do not cover drinks in souvenir glasses. Often times the people walking around selling drinks have them only in the souvenir glasses so you have to go up to a bar yourself to get a drink and specify that you want a regular glass.

On the Allure in July we paid $7.25 + 15% gratuity for absolut pear & club soda. After reading ALL the posts I am assuming those prices have not changed except for the 18% gratuity. Please correct me if I am wrong.

We were on the Freedom the end of February. We had a mudslide and absolute citron and sprite. Each one was $10 + 1.80 gratuity = $11.80. Also did not go to one bar that the bartender did not measure the shot.

On the Allure in July we paid $7.25 + 15% gratuity for absolut pear & club soda. After reading ALL the posts I am assuming those prices have not changed except for the 18% gratuity. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Just off today absolute is now 8.95 plus 18%

We were on the Freedom the end of February. We had a mudslide and absolute citron and sprite. Each one was $10 + 1.80 gratuity = $11.80. Also did not go to one bar that the bartender did not measure the shot.

I don't believe I saw them measure a shot once in January, the drinks were always strong, sometimes too strong. Things have really changed!

The drink packages are valid at the private stops. However, the packages do not cover drinks in souvenir glasses. Often times the people walking around selling drinks have them only in the souvenir glasses so you have to go up to a bar yourself to get a drink and specify that you want a regular glass.

Just off the Indy yesterday if you don't want the souvenir glass they will give it to you in a plastic glass for $11.80 no difference anymore.

They measure now, not weak, but no over pours either

That was not my experience last week on the Serenade. I thought they were pretty generous with the alcohol. I had a couple drinks that tempted me to go back and have them add more of the non-alcohol ingredients!

I've seen this question asked on this thread at least 2 times and I have yet to see anyone answer it. ONLINE when you are pricing the beverage packages and you go to check out it states that the price is $X and THEN an 18% gratuity will be added.

I have seen people say they think that is not correct, that the increased drink package pricing is inclusive of the 18%. But does anyone who has actually hit PURCHASE and added it to your cart to pay for it have an answer here?

Does the $41.30 per day listed for the Select Package (wine beer soda) include the 18% or not???

I've seen this question asked on this thread at least 2 times and I have yet to see anyone answer it. ONLINE when you are pricing the beverage packages and you go to check out it states that the price is $X and THEN an 18% gratuity will be added.

I have seen people say they think that is not correct, that the increased drink package pricing is inclusive of the 18%. But does anyone who has actually hit PURCHASE and added it to your cart to pay for it have an answer here?

Does the $41.30 per day listed for the Select Package (wine beer soda) include the 18% or not???

Yes, the $41.30 includes the 18% service charge.

This may be hard to believe, but Royal's website is a bit confusing. I just tried to add a beverage package to a booking we have in a couple of weeks. The first page of the beverage packages showed the prices with the 18% already included. However, when you added the package to your cart, the charges were split up so you could see the service charge.

Confusing, isn't it? I have 2 cruises booked. Legend next month & Grandeur next year. For the Legend cruise, the package is inclusive of the gratuity, for the Grandeur, it's not. $41.30 includes the 18% gratuity. That package is $35 plus $6.30 gratuity.

Edited by phoenix1181

Just off today absolute is now 8.95 plus 18%

That is crazy! I'm sure prices are like this on the Liberty too. It's a good thing I don't drink alcohol during the day while cruising. Saves me a lot of $. No wonder the wine corkage fee was removed on all Royal ships. This was a "diversion" for drink prices to skyrocket.

From an Australian prospective these prices are not that bad as we have a large wack of tax added to alcohol here. And then there is the currency conversion that turns your $41USD to $60AUD or more for us Aussies. That makes it super a expensive.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

People are going to smuggle alcohol regardless of the price of the cruise. Extortion? Really? Smh Royal isn't forcing anyone to buy anything. It's an option you have if you choose to buy it. It's your choice to sail with Royal so if you sail with Royal be prepared to pay if you want a drink package.

I normally don't make it a point to respond to people on these threads when they are quoting me but i guess i will make an exception. the point I was making in my post was relatively simple in that I think these price increases would motivate more people to attempt to smuggle alcohol as the value is just not there to purchase drinks on board. maybe i should have made that point more explicit.. whatever. yes, I called it extortion, maybe I should have said highway robbery instead.

Of course people have a choice not to buy the liquor on board seems or sail with royal Caribbean to be a bit of a strawman argument to me. I live in what I generally consider economic reality. the reality is this.. you put 2000 to 3000 people on board a vessel and tell them something that some people consider a part of having a good time on vacation is going up 40% in price some people will scoff at the notion others will continue to pay the exorbitant price. obviously Royal has taken a calculated risk. and maybe they will come out on top in terms of the numbers. but it doesn't change the fact that they raised the prices 40% with no real increase in the cost basis of the product. at the very least I would call that unconscionable. while i will agree with your notion that my use of the word extortion was loose I would still consider these price increases to be gouging the customer out of their hard earned money.

in terms of me choosing to sail with royal.. I happened to get a decent deal on my next cruise. and I usually sail with them because the bayonne port is very close to my home. however, because of these threads I have become much more savvy as a cruiser and will be looking around for deals that reach what i consider my threshold for value. If i find Royal gives me a good value for my hard earned money then I will sail with RCI if they do not I will find a cruise line that does. I presume others will do the same. I am not sure how much of this thread you have read but it seems as though a few of the customers are reconsidering their cruise choices going forward.

Edited by angelofsin