Tell me about your carry-on?

thehams

We are flying into port and only taking carry-on and a tote bag each.

This is our carry-on luggage (weighs only 4lbs), along with LUG packing cubes:

luggae_zps08firpwb.jpg

Cargo-5pc-packing-kit#lug_zpsy4vmp10j.jpg

This is my tote, but I bought black:

tote_zpshqapjkuk.jpg

I plan to take photos of how I will pack and fit everything I am taking into these two bags. I will post all here in this thread for future reference for others :)

I am thinking of taking a rolling duffel bag for my next cruise. I am not flying. What is the largest one I could bring as a carry on that will go through the scanner with me.

Laura

Same 'regulation' size as any other carry on? Just measure and make sure it fits! I had one 'rolling duffles' that BA did not let me carry on - so I had to check it :(....have since gotten a smaller one (see post/pic above) and it seems to be okay!

Edited by Froufie

Same 'regulation' size as any other carry on? Just measure and make sure it fits! I had one 'rolling duffles' that BA did not let me carry on - so I had to check it :(....have since gotten a smaller one (see post/pic above) and it seems to be okay!

What is the regulation size?

Each airline has specs on their websites of exact dimensions allowed.

I try to bring one that is actually 20 or 21 inches and I know those

are always allowed. Not sure if the max is 22 inches or not.....

My husband and I normally check one 24" bag each--we get one bag checked free.

If going on a longer cruise we might also carry on a 21" bag, but not often.

I carry on the plane a small roller bag (maybe 15"?) that has meds, valuables such as jewelry, cameras, ebook, documents and anything I want on the flight. I sometimes have a large purse or tote with a small cross-body bag tucked inside, that fits under the seat.

I am thinking of taking a rolling duffel bag for my next cruise. I am not flying. What is the largest one I could bring as a carry on that will go through the scanner with me.

Laura

I saw couple of people on my last trip walk in the sitting area with giant Duffel bags like Ebag, Samonite, etc that were about about 26 - 30inch. Those things were not tiny but then again it was port of NY and they are never consistent with regulations there...

Domestic (US) regulation for MOST airlines has long been up to or under 45" combined length+height+"depth". So 22"+14"+9" (which is I believe the dimensions of the "cage" of most airlines). So it used to be any combination of L/H/D that was under 45". You could have a duffle that was 21x12x12 or a garment bag that was 24x16x5 -- but what I'm seeing on airlines that I've checked recently is a change from "total measurement" to MUST FIT EASILY IN THE SIZER (this includes any pockets, and handles/wheels). So that duffle or garment bag wouldn't fit one of the dimensions. They are obviously trying to eliminate odd-sized bags! (Except for first-class passengers, who either have different regulations or it's not enforced.)

International size regs are slightly smaller for at least some airlines.

Also I believe we will see more and more emphasis on the weight of the carry-on and THAT requirement varies by a lot, from 15lb (Qantas) to 18lb (LAN and Austrian) to 50lb (!)(British Airlines) to not stated (domestic Delta)... that's just ones I have checked or found out in the last year or so.

With 7.6lb empty weight carryons that fit the measurements AND weighed less than 18lbs packed (THAT was a big endeavor!) -- we were still forced to gate check our hard-sided bags on a transAtlantic Austrian Air Lines flight. Based on "It's a full flight". Just so you know it's always possible that no matter how you toe the line, you can still have to give up your bag.

If you do have to gate check your bag, you are supposed to remove any batteries (maybe only if they are lithium cells? I forget the details) and keep them in the pressurized compartment of the airplane.

We now have (new for this trip) 3.2lb 2-wheel carryons. That's 4.4lbs of clothes over our previous bags! not trivial.

For Air Canada, the carry-on bags have to be 21.5 (including wheels and handles) x 15 x 9 inches.

Ours are 21 x 13 x 7 so a little smaller than what is allowed, but it's really hard to find our dimensions. Plus ours are sooo light that I can actually put more in weight wise.

Yep...I picked up a super dinky wheeled bag from a Goodwill for DH to use to fly to Canada...he goes there often for work. He leaves tomorrow for Ottawa as a matter of fact.

I am not flying so what are the restrictions for the cruise luggage carry on sizes?

Laura

If its port of NY, you can get away with any bag that looks like a duffel or smaller. But then again, its NY port and are not consistent with their rules - they don't search bags at customs even for contraband.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I am not flying so what are the restrictions for the cruise luggage carry on sizes?

Laura

I envy you not having to fly! The carry-on must be able to go through a scanner just like at the airport, so it really doesn't matter what size it is. Enjoy!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Laura

Hi Laura:)...none........well, I should say if it fits through the scanner at

whatever port you are sailing from...then you can carry it....otherwise,

give it to one of the porters to deliver to your cabin.

But as far as I know, you have no restrictions...I have seen folks with

tons of luggage, all different sizes.

I envy you not having to fly! The carry-on must be able to go through a scanner just like at the airport, so it really doesn't matter what size it is. Enjoy!

I don't fly no matter what. It is a 5 or 6 hour drive to the ports I leave from (Bostin, NYC,Baltimore) but at least I am able to drive to get to the ports to cruise. Otherwise no cruising for me.

Laura

For many years my carry-on was a moderate-sized backpack plus a medium-large handbag for all travel but since I'm now getting older and have had some knee problems I switched to a business roller bag (Australian domestic size) last year, just prior to travelling to India where the checked baggage allowance for internal air travel is only 15kgs. I'm amazed, even after several trips, as to how much I can stuff into that carry-on. I pack my jewellery, medications, chargers, documents, overseas currencies, a complete change of clothing and shoes (swimsuit, kaftan, and evening wear on a cruise), a complete small toiletries kit, basic makeup, my mascot, a bottle of wine when cruising, laptop when required, and anything else that I need.

Luckily they didn't weigh the carry-on on the India trip. After paying excess baggage on the first internal flight I learnt to stuff several kgs extra into my carry-on. Just as well I was travelling with DH as I would not have been able to lift it into the overhead locker without help :D and, by the looks of things, my carry-on was small and light compared those of the locals. :eek:

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

• 4 weeks later...

My carry-on is a Louis Vuitton 55cm Keepall. I can fit 7-10 days worth of clothes, a spare pair of shoes, curling iron, hot air brush, Lightstim, cosmetics, hair products, toiletries, iPad, and camera.

I never used to think I could be a carry-on traveler, but the more I traveled, the easier it got. Travel size hair products, and little containers for lotions, etc. are key.

After AirFrance lost my luggage on my way to Gibraltar for my wedding, I can't be bothered to check bags anymore.

Edited by ExpatBride

After AirFrance lost my luggage on my way to Gibraltar for my wedding, I can't be bothered to check bags anymore.

Isn't it amazing what you can really get along without once you've experienced your luggage going on vacation without you? Our luggage didn't make it to the ship for our first Mediterranean cruise, so the first 3 days onboard we had just the clothes we were traveling in, and the contents of our carry-on. While we weren't thoroughly happy, we did make do with what we had. Since then, I've packed very differently, loading up my carry-on with more clothes, less "stuff".

Isn't it amazing what you can really get along without once you've experienced your luggage going on vacation without you? Our luggage didn't make it to the ship for our first Mediterranean cruise, so the first 3 days onboard we had just the clothes we were traveling in, and the contents of our carry-on. While we weren't thoroughly happy, we did make do with what we had. Since then, I've packed very differently, loading up my carry-on with more clothes, less "stuff".

It really does throw a wrench in the plans, but it's made me a better packer. Though at the time it was a catastrophe.

Was it the airline or the cruiseline who lost yours? It never occurred to me that the cruisline could make that mistake.

Was it the airline or the cruiseline who lost yours?

It was the airline; apparently when we transferred planes in Frankfurt, our luggage decided seeing Oktoberfest would be a better idea than heading on to Venice and joining us. It was on the dock waiting for us when we returned from our shore excursion at our first port of Istanbul 3 days later. I actually hugged and kissed my suitcase.

What did you do without your luggage for your wedding? Yikes!!!!

What did you do without your luggage for your wedding? Yikes!!!!

Fortunately, we carried on our wedding outfits, shoes, etc. and had travel insurance. The luggage showed up the evening before the wedding, but we'd already used our travel insurance allowance to replace cosmetics, beard trimmer, etc.

It sure took some of the fun out of the experience, but it was my second wedding and I was just getting married in a blue Gucci sheath dress, not a big white gown, and I didn't have an fantasies of being princess for a day or anything, so I was able to take it in stride.

Edited by ExpatBride

It sure took some of the fun out of the experience, but it was my second wedding and I was just getting married in a blue Gucci sheath dress, not a big white gown, and I didn't have an fantasies of being princess for a day or anything, so I was able to take it in stride.

I can imagine it would put a damper on things; how long was your luggage lost? When our luggage didn't make the ship with us, we were travelling newbies, and didn't realize we could have purchased up to a certain dollar amount replacement items. We made do with a couple of ship t-shirts and relied on the ship's laundry service (gratis, thanks to the cruise line) to provide us with clean clothes (although the same ones) every day. Now that we know the ropes, our luggage always shows up, right on time. LOL

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I can imagine it would put a damper on things; how long was your luggage lost?

It was missing for two very long days, and the AirFrance people were very rude about the whole thing! I've since heard from quite a few people that Paris is a Bermuda Triangle of luggage, and try to avoid CDG if at all possible.

What a hassle! Because Gibraltar is a British territory, the luggage delivery service wouldn't cross the border from Spain with the luggage, so DH had to wait in the border queue, drive over the border, collect the luggage, queue again, and recross.

That was nice of the cruiseline to offer you gratis laundry services. Which line was it?

Edited by ExpatBride

What a hassle! Because Gibraltar is a British territory, the luggage delivery service wouldn't cross the border from Spain with the luggage, so DH had to wait in the border queue, drive over the border, collect the luggage, queue again, and recross.

That was nice of the cruiseline to offer you gratis laundry services. Which line was it?

What a mess for you - all the while you are supposed to be looking forward to your upcoming wedding, and having to deal with the likes of customs, etc.

Holland America gave us free laundry every night; we would just call the front office and someone would come and pick up our clothes, returning them outside our door before 6 the next morning. On the 3rd morning when we arrived in Istanbul, preparing to go on our shore excursion we discovered hubby's socks were missing and I didn't have any to spare, so I went to the front desk to see if we could buy a pair from the now-closed shop. The purser actually went to his cabin and brought a pair of his own socks for hubby to wear - now that's going above and beyond what you expect for customer service and that's the type of thing that keeps us coming back to Holland America.

Holland America gave us free laundry every night; we would just call the front office and someone would come and pick up our clothes, returning them outside our door before 6 the next morning. On the 3rd morning when we arrived in Istanbul, preparing to go on our shore excursion we discovered hubby's socks were missing and I didn't have any to spare, so I went to the front desk to see if we could buy a pair from the now-closed shop. The purser actually went to his cabin and brought a pair of his own socks for hubby to wear - now that's going above and beyond what you expect for customer service and that's the type of thing that keeps us coming back to Holland America.

Now that's service! I've got my eye on a HAL Baltics cruise. We're cruising on NCL in June and I hope I haven't made a mistake. We wanted to cruise the Norwegian Fjords and only had a handful of possible dates, so NCL was pretty much our only option, but I'm not sure it's going to be a good fit for us. We'll see.