So..how hard is the first SOLO cruise?

KPfromCT

Just booked my first solo. An 11 day cruise. Go big or go home right.:eek: I can't wait. My only worry, is i might be the youngest solo on board. I'm 37.

That's my worry too although I'm a little older than you (will be 42 when I cruise). But then I have met some very lively older people who are a ton of fun so hopefully it won't matter

• 2 weeks later...
That's my worry too although I'm a little older than you (will be 42 when I cruise). But then I have met some very lively older people who are a ton of fun so hopefully it won't matter

Funny, me too! I booked my first solo to be Harmony's transatlantic (13 days) October of 2016. (I'm 48). Starting to think I may need to do a shorter cruise of maybe a week, sometime between now and then just to "test the waters!"

Funny, me too! I booked my first solo to be Harmony's transatlantic (13 days) October of 2016. (I'm 48). Starting to think I may need to do a shorter cruise of maybe a week, sometime between now and then just to "test the waters!"

I spent many years about booking a cruise but always had that doubt in the back of my mind 'what's it like fitting in as a solo traveller'.

Well I've just booked my third cruise as a solo traveller and I can honestly say GO FOR IT FOLKS.

If there is meetings for solo travellers go to the first couple if you want remember everyone else there is the same as you they might even have the same thoughts but give it a go some people click some don't and what has actually surprised me is how though you are basically in a small area on a ship it's easy not to meet someone you know for days at a time.

The best advice I was ever given before I went on my first one was 'do what you want not what others expect you to do'.

If it's your first cruise be prepared to get the bug, the days of sitting about in Airports for hours before a flight are gone.:D

Trigger pulled!

Just booked my first cruise and my first solo on the Norwegian Getaway (I guess a basic Caribbean itinerary, but ports are not super important to me at this stage). Leaving Saturday (!). Got a Studio.

Trigger pulled!

Just booked my first cruise and my first solo on the Norwegian Getaway (I guess a basic Caribbean itinerary, but ports are not super important to me at this stage). Leaving Saturday (!). Got a Studio.

Wow, 1st cruise. Really glad for you. 1st cruise always will remain really special to you no matter how many more you take. You will be amazed. Have fun and happy sailing. Welcome to the cruise world.

Check out shipparade.com for some great info and photos.

Trigger pulled!

ENJOY!!! Have a wonderful time then when you come back the only problem you will have is deciding where to go next.:D

Again, exactly. I open my bottle of wine that I'm allowed, grab a glass and my book and head to the buffet.

[KruzPrincess - great minds... :D)

Nobody cares what you are doing and that you are alone. Its fun, again, grabbing my book and will go sit at the bar for a drink, but most times end up chatting with the bartender.

Go and enjoy!

[hey ChiGal1962 in Downers - shout out from Woodridge, IL! Small world. :)]

I not sure why you can read in the MDR. I take my books and Nook everywhere. I don't let the fact I am in the MDR stop me reading what I want to read. And I go to the MDR because I can ask for the food to be prepare exactly the way I want.

There is nothing better than a perfect meal and a good read.

Thanks to the readers! My manners are often 50+ years out-of-date (a Mom who studied Miss Manners and Gloria Vanderbilt's books as if they were Bibles). I needed the reality-check.

Getting a little nervous again, now that my first solo is only 2 weeks away. As long as I have my Kindle, it will be fine :-).

Before I did my 1st solo I had anxiety about seating in MDR mostly. Once I got on the ship all I did was have a blast! Some MDR tables have been great, others just awful. If awful (like being seated with a former Patient I prescribed for) I'd change tables or go anytime dining and sit alone.

The one thing I did learn is not to go to MDR on time but maybe 7 minutes late. It's not fun to sit at a 10 top alone and have no one show up!

You can do what you want when you want--the best part.

Thanks, guys!

Quick question: is there room under the NCL studio beds for suitcases? If not, where do they go?

Being my first cruise and a 7-nighter, I'm basically doomed to overpack.

I know, I know.

I was able to fit a 21" and 24" underneath the bed.I had the Studio on the Epic and loved the whole experience, but upgraded to Balconies on my last 2 Breakaways. To be honest, the best part of the Balcony was simply having extra space to unpack and the bathroom seperate.

Overpacking is not a bad thing as it is good to have extra clothes. I found I would change once a day so don't worry- also in my opinion a suitecase could also stand as well near the mirror in between the shower and area where the toilet is.

I was able to fit a 21" and 24" underneath the bed.I had the Studio on the Epic and loved the whole experience, but upgraded to Balconies on my last 2 Breakaways. To be honest, the best part of the Balcony was simply having extra space to unpack and the bathroom seperate.

Overpacking is not a bad thing as it is good to have extra clothes. I found I would change once a day so don't worry- also in my opinion a suitecase could also stand as well near the mirror in between the shower and area where the toilet is.

Thanks much! Just finished packing, I fly to FLL tomorrow.

Balconies were tempting and in all honesty not much more than a studio even with the supplement, but I booked last minute and only GTY was available, and I was nervous of not knowing where they might stick me.

Talking about over packing I am doing 14 nights on the Norwegian Sun starting 6/29. I leave on the 27th. I wanted 1 suitcase and a carryon. I am a overpacker. The weather could be cold then hot. I will not go to the MDR probably. Bad experiences!!!

Talking about over packing I am doing 14 nights on the Norwegian Sun starting 6/29. I leave on the 27th. I wanted 1 suitcase and a carryon. I am a overpacker. The weather could be cold then hot. I will not go to the MDR probably. Bad experiences!!!

I am sorry you have had bad experiences in the main dining room on

previous cruises:(.......I will say as someone who has sailed solo for

more than 12 years, give it another try:D......I cannot imagine cruising

for 14 nights without dinner in the main dining room for at least some

of the evenings...(but that is just my opinion).....

Speaking of dining.

I booked Le Bistro by myself on my birthday, which will be happening during my solo cruise. On the one hand, I love food, I love FRENCH food, and it's my birthday. On the other hand, I wonder if this will be the height of solo-dining awkwardness, especially since I will probably want to read while I eat.

(I probably won't actually announce it's my birthday. I'm almost at the age where I 100% don't care what strangers think in a situation like that, but I would imagine "I'm eating alone at a nice restaurant on my birthday on a cruise ship" would elicit some weird looks, even from the wait staff. Then I'd feel compelled to be all "no really I have a very nice boyfriend at home, I just have way more vacation time than he does" and blah blah.)

Edited by perditax

Speaking of dining.

I booked Le Bistro by myself on my birthday, which will be happening during my solo cruise. On the one hand, I love food, I love FRENCH food, and it's my birthday. On the other hand, I wonder if this will be the height of solo-dining awkwardness, especially since I will probably want to read while I eat.

(I probably won't actually announce it's my birthday. I'm almost at the age where I 100% don't care what strangers think in a situation like that, but I would imagine "I'm eating alone at a nice restaurant on my birthday on a cruise ship" would elicit some weird looks, even from the wait staff. Then I'd feel compelled to be all "no really I have a very nice boyfriend at home, I just have way more vacation time than he does" and blah blah.)

I have eaten in the Specialty Restaurants on my own and enjoyed

it very much.:D.....as for weird looks? I don't worry about it......most

people are very self-involved and aren't concerned about other tables

and who is dining with anyone.

Do you really use that line? If someone questions me sailing solo? I say

I love cruising solo and it is the only way I cruise.....if they have a

problem? It is their issue, not mine (or yours). I don't have anyone

to cruise with.....and that is fine with me:)

I think the way solos are seated may vary by cruise line. I had very good experience with Celebrity and Azamara both, where I was seated at large tables with a mix of couples, families and other solos. NCL on the other hand just doesn't seem to "do" these mixed tables and seem to seat people with the group they came to the dining room with and nobody else. I didn't try to sit at a group table on my one HAL cruise or my one RCCL cruise, though I suspect that HAL at least would do a good job with it since their passenger base tends to be older and therefore with more non-paired-up cruisers.

With Carnival Breeze when I went solo at both breakfast and dinner I was given the option to dine by myself at a small table or to share a large table with a bunch of other solos travelers. I tried both ways and enjoyed myself both ways depending on my mood.

On the NCL EPIC, I went to the solo lounge where the cruise line has a person who arranges for dinner meets for solo cruisers. He also arranges for groups to meet at different events around the ship. I did not go to the events but I know others had a fun time at them.

On other cruises I have gone with someone else, but still had some breakfasts and dinners by myself. Holland America I would dine alone if I went by myself but the table was close to others and I still was able to converse to other people. On Carnival I also found it easy to ask for a single table for myself or share with others.

So far Carnival, NCL, and Holland America all made it easy handle meals even as a solo.

2) Carnival (have always had a great time on Carnival and could have afforded a suite, but the crowd has always seemed generally younger to me -- so I didn't think it was a good choice for my first solo).

I just want to note that for me the longer cruises had older crowds. The 3 and 4 day cruises I did to the Bahamas really had a party crowd on them.

The 7 day cruises were clearly had more older people.

The oldest people on a Carnival cruise I have seen however were on the Carnival Breeze. That was a 6 day cruise, but a newer ship so while I got a good deal on my cabin the listed prices were higher until the last month before it sailed.

I am hoping the next cruises 10 and 11 days long back-to-back will continue that trend.

Edited by Earl Colby Pottinger

I used to be self conscious about the whole traveling/dining alone thing. But I have to say, on every single cruise when I tell people I'm traveling by myself (no explanation necessary), the reactions are either "you're so brave" or "I'm jealous"! And frankly, it's usually both. Oh, and trust me, the wait staff has seen it all - nothing much phases them.

Read if you want, people watch if you want, blow bubbles in your water if you want :) It's your birthday, and you're celebrating it on a cruise ship! Wheeeee!

Doing something unknown for the 1st time is a bit disconcerting, but I have heard the saying that in 20 years we will regret the things we did not do, more than what we did do. So give it a go and take a chance..

Please take that to heart.

My parents always talked about doing a major tour of Europe (3-4 months) when they retired. However, because of a drunk driver hitting my youngest brother they never went. They could had easily gone in the twenty plus years before that accident but they always put it off for later and thus never went after they did retire since they were caring for my brother who was in a coma.

While working are the computer store I built up enough vacation time to go to the island of Montserrat to see the Emerald Pool, I kept delaying going for years, then the volcano blew - no more garden.

I delayed also for work to go to Desert Blast each year, finally I said I would go and the organizers had cancelled the event from then on.

I had wanted to go to the Natural Bridge in Aruba, and again delayed going. Guess what? It collapsed and not longer exists.

Lately I went to see a waterfalls I use to go to in my youth, I delayed going back there (a park in Ontario) for decades. Finally I did go back only to find that because of erosion and the danger of people (children) falling into it the government had back-filled the valley the falls used to be in and now there was nothing but a stream and a lot of broken concrete.

Last September i suffered a stroke, this has affected my strength and balance, because of this some planned trips to go hiking in the mountains have been cancelled, and other planned trips have been modified to not be as adventurous as I originally planned. Also, because I could not afford to go to my isolated cabin up north in-case of another stroke I had to sell the place this spring.

If you delay doing stuff, you may find you can never do it again period!!!

Edited by Earl Colby Pottinger

Earl- thanks for sharing. A good reminder for all.

On the flip side, I'm glad I took my folks on a cruise for their 50th anniversary. My father had issues walking but they really wanted to return to the beach in Bermuda that they visited many years earlier. I had to carry him from the road across the sand down to the water.

His health got much worse after and I always am grateful that I pushed aside work and took them on their last cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
DH and I are separated, and have been for 7+ years. We have a DD who is 16 years old.

Clearly, I am the ONLY one who LOVES cruising.

For the past 3 years, we have all gone together.

This year, they don't seem into it.:mad::mad:

I found a good deal, for a single, inside, on the Sunshine. It's a 5 nighter, so I am thinking that's a good way to get my feet wet. Being a solo....:o

I consider myself outgoing, but then I start thinking about the MDR and sitting with a bunch of strangers, and I feel the anxiety building....:rolleyes:

Think I'll be OK?

Thank you in advance for all the tips and suggestions.:D

I hear your anxiety too about dining with strangers. I have decided that I am just going to enjoy the meal and relax with whomever they seat me with, I just don't want to be seated alone at dinner. I don't mind at lunch or breakfast, but not diner. I want to chat with people. It should be fun hearing about their adventures over dinner.

Please take that to heart.

My parents always talked about doing a major tour of Europe (3-4 months) when they retired. However, because of a drunk driver hitting my youngest brother they never went. They could had easily gone in the twenty plus years before that accident but they always put it off for later and thus never went after they did retire since they were caring for my brother who was in a coma.

While working are the computer store I built up enough vacation time to go to the island of Montserrat to see the Emerald Pool, I kept delaying going for years, then the volcano blew - no more garden.

I delayed also for work to go to Desert Blast each year, finally I said I would go and the organizers had cancelled the event from then on.

I had wanted to go to the Natural Bridge in Aruba, and again delayed going. Guess what? It collapsed and not longer exists.

Lately I went to see a waterfalls I use to go to in my youth, I delayed going back there (a park in Ontario) for decades. Finally I did go back only to find that because of erosion and the danger of people (children) falling into it the government had back-filled the valley the falls used to be in and now there was nothing but a stream and a lot of broken concrete.

Last September i suffered a stroke, this has affected my strength and balance, because of this some planned trips to go hiking in the mountains have been cancelled, and other planned trips have been modified to not be as adventurous as I originally planned. Also, because I could not afford to go to my isolated cabin up north in-case of another stroke I had to sell the place this spring.

If you delay doing stuff, you may find you can never do it again period!!!

I agree, don't put it off, live in the present.

• 2 weeks later...