Dress code question.

Wife wants to know for non-formal nights in MDR are Capri pants acceptable?

I want to know if for men in MDR is it acceptable to be without coat and/or tie on non-formal nights. We will be on Jewel, but is it different on different ships?

I want to know if for men in MDR is it acceptable to be without coat and/or tie on non-formal nights. We will be on Jewel, but is it different on different ships?

Yes Capris are fine non formal, they are a form of pant and come way below knee. Smart casual for men I would recommend collar, but that can be a short sleeve shirt, polo shirt etc. no tie or jacket on non formal nights. Yes it is supposed to be the same across the fleet, but it varies!!!!

From RC website

Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Edited by Spurschick

You and your wife will be absolutely fine in what you are planning to wear on non-formal nights! :)

LuLu

Top three threads on the royal forum are all dress code related, its going to be a fun Sunday!!!!

Oh yes, you will get many comments, good, bad and ugly. I wear linen capris on first night with nice blouse and heels. First night is casual, but I think that outfit would work for smart casual also. Have a wonderful vacation!!!

As stated earlier a polo is fine. I think specific rule is collared shirt for men.

There is no requirement for collared shirt - there is a prohibition on sleeveless shirts for men, perhaps that is what you were thinking of.

Edited by BekkaW

OI would recommend capris for a casual night only. For smart casual it should be something one would wear to a job interview or business meeting.

While the stated dress code makes a distinction between casual and smart casual, you'd be hard-pressed to notice an actual difference onboard. I think the smart casual description actually states coat and tie for men, but for all intents and purposes, the only time you see that is on formal nights.

We are first time cruisers on the Navigator in April.

I am not packing a suit or sport jacket. I will pack slacks and a nice button down shirt. I will bring a tie only if necessary.

Is that good enough for those darn formal nights in the MDR?

She will have a couple of nice skirts and high heels (she looks nice). Is that good enough for her?

thanks

We are first time cruisers on the Navigator in April.

I am not packing a suit or sport jacket. I will pack slacks and a nice button down shirt. I will bring a tie only if necessary.

Is that good enough for those darn formal nights in the MDR?

She will have a couple of nice skirts and high heels (she looks nice). Is that good enough for her?

thanks

Formal nights dress code suggests suit, with black tie optional for you and for your wife cocktail dress or pantsuit.

Formal nights dress code suggests suit, with black tie optional for you and for your wife cocktail dress or pantsuit.

The operative word is "suggested" and you will likely find any number of your fellow passengers who will not be wearing either a sports or suit jacket.

Geez, if capris on formal nights are ok, then a skirt seems almost overdressed to me! But, what do I know about capris, lol.

And if a shirt without tie is ok, why do they even have these evening dress code distinctions, instead of just a day and evening casual code, if not just one 24hr code?

on Formal nights(suggested dress) is the state of mind you are or want to be in. If you wish to dress to the nines DO IT, if you prefer not to pack or even own or do not want to buy Cocktail dresses or TUX or even a suit(I do not own one), just dress up a little over what you wear on on regular night and you will be happy.

You will see dress clothes(people dressed), from what some older people call unreasonable to, YES ELEGANT.

PS modern younger people or young thinking people have a different view of what formal is, this is not the Titanic era.

BTW, the second so called Formal night seems to have the most elegant dressers. Also, yes we love to see what great outfits people wear, it is just not for us.

Geez, if capris on formal nights are ok, then a skirt seems almost overdressed to me! But, what do I know about capris, lol.

And if a shirt without tie is ok, why do they even have these evening dress code distinctions, instead of just a day and evening casual code, if not just one 24hr code?

The point is not that capris or a shirt w/o a tie pass for formal, but rather than formal attire is not required on formal nights, so some people choose not to dress up.

I've noticed that on the three cruises I've been on, dress codes were never enforced.

Thing is, with Formal Night, part of the fun for me is dressing up. Some choose to dress down. It's a bit weird to sit there at dinner enjoying a good meal, wine, desserts, great service, etc wearing a nice outfit and then look over and see people in shorts and tshirt or folks making no effort but then again, if it is not enforced, then people will make no effort at all.

Basically, you can wear whatever you feel like wearing. Some of us love dressing up and others prefer not to be bothered.

Enjoy your cruise.

If you are interested in what the majority of passengers wear on in the main dining room, and not just someone's opinion, this is what I've OBSERVED. 5 RCCL cruises last year.:

CASUAL - capris for women is fine; men usually wear long pants (may be enforced at the door; may not)

SMART CASUAL (nights other than the first night) - women in capris are in the minority, as most women wear skirts, dresses, long pants, nice tops, etc. Men wear long pants and polo/golf/cotton buttoned shirts.

FORMAL - women wear dressy clothes of their choice; casual clothes are in the minority. Almost all men wear ties and jackets, some jackets without a tie, and a small minority wear a shirt and tie without a jacket. Tuxes are still definitely worn.

I may know the answer, but I'll ask anyways. Is it appropriate to wear shorts on formal night IF, IF, the shorts are a part of the suit? The suit in question is a seersucker suit that has matching shorts instead of pants.

I may know the answer, but I'll ask anyways. Is it appropriate to wear shorts on formal night IF, IF, the shorts are a part of the suit? The suit in question is a seersucker suit that has matching shorts instead of pants.

What I will say is this: there is a sign at the entrance of the main dining room, plus it is printed in the daily Cruise Compass that shorts are not permitted in the Dining Room for dinner.