Should dress codes disappear?

Yes and we are in our 60's and will take our 25th cruise next month.

This is the 21st Century not the beginning of the 20th Century. Times have changed. While I would never wear a hat, wife beater shirt, (etc.,etc.), in the MDR, I am never concerned with what others choose to wear. Too many folks make it their business.

Agree. No 50s & 60s

I can just see it now. Tank tops, bikinis, people will just come from the pool deck smelling like suntan oil & sweat. Not exactly a nice dinner setting to me.

NO! 40's. Absolutely agree with the quoted post. It's already a slippery slope since they are not enforcing the rules. Give people and inch and they will take a mile.

On our last cruise, the large 10-12 person table beside ours decided to completely ignore the no shorts, tank tops, caps rules. They wore, even on formal nights, cut off jean shorts, white tank tops for men and women and beer box cowboy hats! Our children even noticed their attire. Their speech and manners were terrible. They spoke loudly during dinner, their children ran around unchecked and they were rude to the dining room staff. It created a very poor setting for, what should have been, a nice dinner. We waited for the dining room manager to say something to them but they never did. While it didn't ruin our cruise, it definitely made dinner awkward.

I'm afraid if the lines remove the clothing suggestions, this will become the standard rather than a rare occurrence. :eek:

No. It is already quite relaxed. Anyone can go to the MDR is they are dressed decently. To do away with the dress code entirely would give the cruise line no authority to turn away even those who are dressed very inappropriately. They need to retain some say!

I do think we need to be sometimes less judgmental regarding what others wear. I've always thought it was terribly unfair to men that they must wear a coat and tie, while we ladies can wear very comfy clothes that are still comfortable.

70's - with a MUCH younger outlook on life! :D

NO! 40's. Absolutely agree with the quoted post. It's already a slippery slope since they are not enforcing the rules. Give people and inch and they will take a mile.

On our last cruise, the large 10-12 person table beside ours decided to completely ignore the no shorts, tank tops, caps rules. They wore, even on formal nights, cut off jean shorts, white tank tops for men and women and beer box cowboy hats! Our children even noticed their attire. Their speech and manners were terrible. They spoke loudly during dinner, their children ran around unchecked and they were rude to the dining room staff. It created a very poor setting for, what should have been, a nice dinner. We waited for the dining room manager to say something to them but they never did. While it didn't ruin our cruise, it definitely made dinner awkward.

I'm afraid if the lines remove the clothing suggestions, this will become the standard rather than a rare occurrence. :eek:

The language and kids running around have nothing to do with their clothes. If they were sitting quietly in cut off jeans and cowboy hats would that have been ok?

People ask how hard it is to dress up. How hard is it not to worry what I do? My kids behave, I'm not particularly loud in public. Leave ME alone.

No, keep the dress code and enforce only this rule. No other rule needs to be enforced.

Yours truly,

The annoying woman who saves a row of seats in the theater, her fat husband who wakes up at 7am to save 12 seats at the pool between donuts, and their unadorable kids running through the solarium.

20's wife 70's husband

Edited by PennStateFan123

The language and kids running around have nothing to do with their clothes. If they were sitting quietly in cut off jeans and cowboy hats would that have been ok?

People ask how hard it is to dress up. How hard is it not to worry what I do? My kids behave, I'm not particularly loud in public. Leave ME alone.

Your posts have been most amusing. To answer your question, no...it wouldn't have been any better if they had been quietly wearing clothes completely against the rules. I mentioned their attitude because it added to the story. It was my post and I have the right to post what I want within the CC rules. Our family follows rules. PERIOD. We are respectful of rules and suggestions for anything even when we travel. We also teach our children these virtues. It's called living in a civilized society. If I had singled you out, you'd definitely have the right to tell me to leave you alone. I didn't single you out but you sure saw fit to single me out for posting my own personal thoughts and observations. Have a great day! ;)

Having said that, I have no problem with anyone wanting to dress up as it seems to be a big deal for some people.

My problem is the people who feel that because I don't do formal nights on vacation, I am uncouth and without class.

I think attitudes need changing first.

20s, no. Personally I like the excuse to dress up. If there's no dress code it would be highly weird for me to turn up in a floor length dress. Bit like any black tie event - can only justify wearing black tie if it's the norm, wearing it on the beach or at work would be utterly awkward.

However, if the majority want it to change that's fine - for me the worst thing is that there's a code that's completely ignored, because again, while people can say "who cares what other people are wearing?" it's a simple fact that what others are wearing, and what is expected, affects how comfortable many of us feel. For example, you'll happily wear a swimming costume to the pool, but feel embarrassed if you ended up at work in it. The dress code defines the area as posh, having it not followed suddenly makes those following look weird.

I'm waffling. Formal fun (for me). Uniform clothing policies comforting.

Yes, 60's. Actually, could go either way without too much concern. Our enjoyment of a cruise couldn't be swayed by the apparel of those around us...just not possible. We tend toward the casual and dressing up doesn't mean much to us...it's more of a chore than a pleasure, but we will go with the flow. :)

No, 50s. Minimum standard of dress should be enforced. AI resorts in the Caribbean insist on it, so should the cruise lines. Definitely no shorts in the MDR at dinner, only closed toed shoes for men, no sneakers, no headwear, and no jeans I don't care how expensive or which designer brand they are.

20s, no. Personally I like the excuse to dress up. If there's no dress code it would be highly weird for me to turn up in a floor length dress. Bit like any black tie event - can only justify wearing black tie if it's the norm, wearing it on the beach or at work would be utterly awkward.

However, if the majority want it to change that's fine - for me the worst thing is that there's a code that's completely ignored, because again, while people can say "who cares what other people are wearing?" it's a simple fact that what others are wearing, and what is expected, affects how comfortable many of us feel. For example, you'll happily wear a swimming costume to the pool, but feel embarrassed if you ended up at work in it. The dress code defines the area as posh, having it not followed suddenly makes those following look weird.

I'm waffling. Formal fun (for me). Uniform clothing policies comforting.

I really like this post. I agree that as much as people, always those wanting to do away with formal, say "I don't care what others think," they are not being truthful. Of course you do. That's why you make such an effort to tell us not to judge you. Why not? You're judging us. I have as much right to think that you should abide by the dress codes as you do to think I have no right to think that. But bottom line, we always judge others. If I see you in the cutoff jeans, wife-beater shirt, and cowboy hat on Formal Night, I will make a specific judgement of you. I may be wrong, but I won't likely go out of my way to find out. If you see me in Tux, you'll make a judgement of me. You likely won't go out of your way to find out either. Do you care? No. Do I care? No. But we still judge each other.

Anyway, to the question:

60's/ No... with a caveat. I would not mind an elimination of Formal Night. I like to dress up to a certain extent, but I would be ok with it disappearing. Also I would favor DRESS Shorts for men with collared shirts. But it would have to be a strict DRESS CODE. not Dress suggestion. I don't like sitting around with a bunch of people dressed like the "cowboys" referred to earlier. If I wanted that, I'd go to Dude Ranch and ride the range.

I must say I am surprised at all the "no's." Bet the OP is too. Looks like if popular sentiment is to prevail, I'll need to keep bringing my Tux.

dont know you know by now everyone wants to tell you how to enjoy YOUR cruise, lol..

what to wear, if you can bring your kids, etc

50's and I don't care.

The cruise line can have a tux every night policy for all I care. It could also have a swim suits allowed in the MDR all the time. I could care less. But whichever they decide, publicize the code and stick to it! Be consistent on each and every ship and for all sailings. Then the customer can decide if they want to sail on a line that is Formal, Semi Formal, Cruise Casual or Uber Casual and they know up front what they are buying into.

Your posts have been most amusing. To answer your question, no...it wouldn't have been any better if they had been quietly wearing clothes completely against the rules. I mentioned their attitude because it added to the story. It was my post and I have the right to post what I want within the CC rules. Our family follows rules. PERIOD. We are respectful of rules and suggestions for anything even when we travel. We also teach our children these virtues. It's called living in a civilized society. If I had singled you out, you'd definitely have the right to tell me to leave you alone. I didn't single you out but you sure saw fit to single me out for posting my own personal thoughts and observations. Have a great day! ;)

Happy you've found my posts amusing as I'm not really taking all of this seriously. :)

And really my post was two parts. First responding to you about the cowboys and the second in general about some other posts. Sorry if I sounded like I was going back at you. You never said what I should do.

Don't worry, I really don't have the legs for Daisy Dukes.

Happy you've found my posts amusing as I'm not really taking all of this seriously. :)

And really my post was two parts. First responding to you about the cowboys and the second in general about some other posts. Sorry if I sounded like I was going back at you. You never said what I should do.

Don't worry, I really don't have the legs for Daisy Dukes.

Bless your heart, Tom. lol Neither do I, neither do I. :D

Abolished? No. Mid 20s.

I think if you'd wear it to a play a round at a nice country club it should be fine for the MDR. I'm a grad student in Ohio. I don't see the sun or get to wear shorts much these days. Darn it I want to go to the Caribbean and not have long pants reminding me of the cold hell I have to go back to.

At the end of the day you're on vacation and should stop letting a complete stranger's clothes impact you negatively.