Found some great post-drydock Volendam photos

InTheWASide

I will be aboard in 18 days for a 31 day voyage from Hong Kong to Vacounver. I will be looking forward to taking photos of everything public ... And what I can catch in staterooms ... And I'll make sure to post links to those photos when I can.

I will be aboard in 18 days for a 31 day voyage from Hong Kong to Vacounver. I will be looking forward to taking photos of everything public ... And what I can catch in staterooms ... And I'll make sure to post links to those photos when I can.[/quote

YAY!!!!!

Found these from a couple different sources. http://www.shipparade.com and the http://www.travelingwiththejones.com blog that is regularly mentioned in these forums.

Here's a couple of the pictures that show Mix (totally brand new) and the Explorer's Lounge (almost impossible to recognize but I find of like it)

MIX:

volendam-holland-america-line-mix-bar.jpg

volendam-holland-america-line-mix-bar-2.jpg

volendam-holland-america-line-mix-bar-3.jpg

2014-12-22-14.01.57.jpg

EXPLORERS LOUNGE:

volendam-holland-america-line-explorers-lounge.jpg

2014-12-22-16.16.51.jpg

The MIX looked ok but I thought the EXPLORES LOUNGE looked a bit cheap!

I will be aboard in 18 days for a 31 day voyage from Hong Kong to Vacounver. I will be looking forward to taking photos of everything public ... And what I can catch in staterooms ... And I'll make sure to post links to those photos when I can.

Will be interested to view your photos.

I wonder if Volendam is for sale, maybe she is worth something as a middle aged cruise ship. They haven't been able to drum up any cash for the elderly sisters. Perhaps the ship sales agent told them to spruce up the bathrooms and get rid of furniture clutter. Then K mart had a warehouse sale the same week Sears was getting rid of the leftover velour from the Kardashian Kollection.

Then K mart had a warehouse sale the same week Sears was getting rid of the leftover velour from the Kardashian Kollection.
The 'new and improved' :rolleyes: Explorer's Lounge does give off that 70s dorm rec room vibe doesn't it? It didn't look good in the 70s and hasn't improved with age.

Actually, I was thinking IKEA knock down furniture, but K Mart works. Shows how little I care about the Kardashians. I didn't even know they had a Kollection, but the cheap, tacky look of that striped fabric would fit right in.

The 'new and improved' :rolleyes: Explorer's Lounge does give off that 70s dorm rec room vibe doesn't it? It didn't look good in the 70s and hasn't improved with age.

What's next? Burnt orange shag carpet in the corridors? :eek::eek::rolleyes:;)

Along the lines of "what were you thinking?" The Explorer's Lounge is our favorite after dinner place as well. We love the quiet, soft music, and subdued lighting. I can't imagine the noise now as some folks insist on yakking at full volume while Adagio is playing in spite of how rude that is to the musicians as well as those trying to enjoy the music. Now all that talking will be bouncing off the bare floor along with heels clicking and chairs scraping. While I love the traditional, classic look of HAL ships, I can live with some modern touches but this once beautiful room is just ugly!

Love the look of the new bathrooms but have the same reservations about the lack of hidden cosmetic storage. Might be better for the housekeeping staff and probably just roomy enough for masculine types but not for the average woman, especially on longer cruises.

I had the same reaction as the rest of the crowd about the Explorers Lounge. 70s dorm rec room for sure. I like the idea that maybe the area was not complete when photographed on that cruise. Looking forward to what Revneal will show us next month.

Zaandam and Volendam are among my favorite HAL ships so I'm hoping they will always keep that classic look I love.

Zaandam and Volendam are among my favorite HAL ships so I'm hoping they will always keep that classic look I love.

I love the R-class ships ... 185 of my 421 days on HAL have been aboard these four lovely ships. Pulling from my Cruise History on HAL's website:

Zaandam -- 55 days

Volendam -- 53 days, with another 31 days to be added this April/May

Rotterdam -- 47 days

Amsterdam -- 30 days

Remember the "Background White Noise" from the air conditioning? Well, after the retrofit, the room was silent! A tremendous improvement from past cruises on many different HAL ships. It seems the ceiling diffuser or whatever had been changed and now wonderful silence, just the ocean. Bathroom and shower fantastic also.

Explorers lounge furniture looks very uncomfortable. Not lounge furniture which is usually soft. Chairs too small, stiff looking. Whether in there reading, listening to a lecture or music... not good seating. Will miss the softening effect of some carpeting.

Explorers lounge furniture looks very uncomfortable. Not lounge furniture which is usually soft. Chairs too small, stiff looking. Whether in there reading, listening to a lecture or music... not good seating. Will miss the softening effect of some carpeting.

I think the idea is that the Explorers Lounge will now become more of a coffee house. You can coffee at any time without having to change the carpets to wood floor and changing the comfortable seats to upright 'airport' style chairs.

Do you remember the Java Bar... the coffee bar. On the maiden voyage of the Statendam, myself and Ted Arison were the only two ever using it. Dropped and then something else. Never seemed to work... even as Wine Bar. A bit like the Champagne Bar in Mix.... Hardly ever used for that purpose.

• 4 weeks later...