Shame on you rcl

Really?

You're the parent.. if you want your kid to sleep on the Pullman and you are OK with it then have him/her sleep on it. What are they going to do, check in? Or upgrade your cabin, or take whatever refund you can get...

I researched my room before booking..i saw that my kid would be on a pullman bed and that was fine with me...now that they told me that its forbidden for him and only after learning about that on cruisecritic and not by them while booking i say that i would have changed rooms while booking...this restriction is NOWHERE stated on rcl website.they are misleading.its far too OBVIOUS that i want to share the bed with my wife..if nothing else changes on my booking i will definitely share the bed with my son as well since his safety is very important for me..i just feel that i was misled by rcl and that this is no good commercial practice on their behalf.i am going to complain as much as possible about this and maybe reach as high as possible on their management ladder..because i believe thats wrong from them..they just care filling up berths getting money thats no way good customer service ob their behalf

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm going to agree with brillohead here. What is your problem? While I rarely advocate cherry picking what rules to follow onboard, I will also say that whatever you feel fine with, that doesn't affect other cruisers is okay. Do you think there are "bunk police" that will come in to the cabin in the middle of the night to see who is sleeping in the Pullman? Really, it appears to me that you were fine with the child sleeping in the Pullman originally, so what difference does it make if RCI says he can't, so you appear to be just looking for a free upgrade, using this as an excuse.

I researched my room before booking..i saw that my kid would be on a pullman bed and that was fine with me...now that they told me that its forbidden for him and only after learning about that on cruisecritic and not by them while booking i say that i would have changed rooms while booking...this restriction is NOWHERE stated on rcl website.they are misleading.its far too OBVIOUS that i want to share the bed with my wife..if nothing else changes on my booking i will definitely share the bed with my son as well since his safety is very important for me..i just feel that i was misled by rcl and that this is no good commercial practice on their behalf.i am going to complain as much as possible about this and maybe reach as high as possible on their management ladder..because i believe thats wrong from them..they just care filling up berths getting money thats no way good customer service ob their behalf

You have been given NUMEROUS options for how to deal with this (pretty good ones, too) Why are you still complaining?

But the restriction is somewhere on the site because I found it before we booked our cruise for my family...our daughters will be 3 and 5.5 at the time of sailing...and even before I researched the Pullmans I was questioning how safe they would be for my kiddos so I looked around on the site and found they were not recommended for those under 6. So I called RC to figure out what rooms had sofa beds for my two daughters to sleep on and then knew what room to book when it was time to do so..... We are paying about 800 more because we needed a certain room, but yes my child's safety is a priority so I agree with you about not putting the child in the Pullman anyway...

I do like the idea of putting the Pullman mattress on the floor if you can, which there should be... Good luck and enjoy your cruise

Sorry, let you or your wife sleep on the pullman, and you give your child the bed or you sleep on the pullman. Can someone on here give her the resolution dept number? The pullmans aren't that UNcomfortable. Keep checking w/ rccl and look for different cabins. Someone will probably change cabins or cancel.

Edited by hollon

Oh for crying out loud, grow up already! Sorry, I don't usually get name-cally on threads here, but this "rant" is absolutely ridiculous.

The OP was PERFECTLY FINE with their 5yo sleeping on the Pullman when they originally made the reservation, but NOW they have a problem with it????

And don't give me that "it's not safe if they hit rough seas" baloney -- a small child is NOT going to be thrown out of a Pullman bed unless the ship turns over like the Concordia, plain and simple. At that point, it's not going to matter who was sleeping on which bed -- you'll all be underwater and swimming for the door.

This is simply sour grapes on the part of the OP -- they want something for nothing, at least that's my opinion. The only reason that the cut-off for sleeping in the Pullman is 6yo is because some pencil-pusher in the Risk Management department of the cruise line's insurance company chose that number.

THERE IS NOTHING MAGICAL ABOUT THE AGE OF SIX! :rolleyes:

I know kids who can sleep safely in a Pullman at age three, and I know kids whose judgment I wouldn't trust to not do something stupid (like jump out instead of using the ladder) at age twelve. The age of six is nothing more than a number.

And before anyone asks, my own son slept in the Pullman at age three and age four (two different cruises on two different lines) -- he loved his "special bunk bed"!

And the room was set up such that the Pullman was above the double bed anyway, so if he did intentionally make himself fall out of bed (the only way he was going to "fall out" -- there is a railing on those things, you know!), he would have landed on the double bed right underneath him.

OP, just grow up. If your kid is afraid to sleep in a Pullman, you shouldn't have booked one. If you're afraid to have your kid sleep in a Pullman, you shouldn't have booked one. Otherwise, put your kid wherever you want (the kid can even sleep on the floor -- kids can and will sleep anywhere, with or without a sheet / blanket / pillow!) and simply enjoy your cruise!

My thoughts exactly. Everyone else stop coddling.

I assume OP cares about the safety of his child...

To be blaming royal is uncalled for. 1. being really they don't know where your child is sleeping. I've shared cabins with another adult and child and had ever intention on sleeping on the pullman. I could understand if at first when booking you asked can my child sleep there and they said yes then later changed to no. Also i'm sure you aren't the first to make that mistake, they can't just upgrade everyone in this regards.. Or maybe the boat is full, did you do a mock booking on the site too see if any with sofas are available? Maybe you can pay the difference in price if it is.

Edited by Stephluva2711
Wrong info

I understand the OP's complaint. Knowing there are three people in the room and one of them is under age 6, I don't think it's unreasonable for an agent to say "you know the child can't sleep in the pullman?" during booking. IMO, that's GOOD customer service.

However, I also agree RCI won't know who's sleeping where. The child can sleep:

1) In the pullman as originally planned

2) In the bed with the parents

3) In the bed with a parent in the pullman

4) On the floor

5) On the sofa if there is one.

As far as "safety", is the child large for their age, small for their age, average? The "rules" are built on generalities. Kids' sizes vary greatly. As someone mentioned earlier, there's nothing special about a child turning 6. It's the age picked out because most children by that age will be the proper size to fit in the bunk.

If this was happening to me, I'd look at the deck plans to see if there is another room that meets my sleeping requirements. I would not look more than one "code" up however. Assuming I find a room, I would call and ask politely to be moved to the other room. If turned down, I would make the best of the current situation.

I would not give up on the cruise line because of this. Yes, I think there are things they could do better, but the OP could have done some more research also.

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

I understand the OP's complaint. Knowing there are three people in the room and one of them is under age 5, I don't think it's unreasonable for an agent to say "you know the 5yo can't sleep in the pullman during booking?" IMO, that's GOOD customer service.

However, I also agree RCI won't know who's sleeping where. The child can sleep:

1) In the pullman as originally planned

2) In the bed with the parents

3) In the bed with a parent in the pullman

4) On the floor

5) On the sofa if there is one.

As far as "safety", is the child large for their age, small for their age, average? The "rules" are built on generalities. Kids' sizes vary greatly. As someone mentioned earlier, there's nothing special about a child turning 6. It's the age picked out because most children by that age will be the proper size to fit in the bunk.

If this was happening to me, I'd look at the deck plans to see if there is another room that meets my sleeping requirements. I would not look more than one "code" up however. Assuming I find a room, I would call and ask politely to be moved to the other room. If turned down, I would make the best of the current situation.

I would not give up on the cruise line because of this. Yes, I think there are things they could do better, but the OP could have done some more research also.

Clicked on the wrong quote and can't delete

Edited by Stags14

even IF they did not know royal's policy, a child being 5 months old, why WOULD you think you can put them on a bunk bed. To me blaming royal is totally uncalled for.

The child is 5 years old, not 5 months old. A 5 month old can not even sail due to age restrictions.

OP - I feel for you. There is no easy way to find out about this restrictions to age 6. I would be comfortable with it for a child age 3/4 (my 4 year old slept on a bunk at a hotel just last month). I wish that the wording was NOT RECOMMENDED for a child under 6. Then it would be easier to justify as your choice vs a rule you were breaking.

I would worry that in the event of a complete bed malfunction that there would be some questions about liability if the bed was not being used under the proper conditions. It's also hard for me to see the suggestions here of 'do it anyway' - when if similar people were on a thread about ignoring the water bottle refill rules, they would absolutely be horrified about a person breaking the rules!

Given the current situation, I think putting the Pullman mattress in the floor each night would be an excellent remedy with very little impact to you. I would encourage you to continue with the resolutions department with the intent of making it a policy for RCCL to notify guests booking of this restriction at reservation time. It's a simple addition to their current statements. Then It's full disclosure. But - if the resolutions department can't help you get another room (does one exist that you want? I assume you have looked by now??) - just go with the backup plans (mattress on floor or sofa as a bed) and enjoy your trip!!!

My two boys slept in the pullmans at 3 and 5 years. As the other poster said, there is nothing magic about turning 6! If a 5 year old could be thrown from the pullman (which I seriously doubt unless the boat is upside down!), then a 6 year old can too. And on my two cruises when my boys used them, they were always directly above my bed so the worst that could happen is that they would land on top of me in my bed :) Do you also not let your child play with toys until they are the age that they say they need to be on the outside of the toy box? (which is always ridiculous!).

Oh for crying out loud, grow up already! Sorry, I don't usually get name-cally on threads here, but this "rant" is absolutely ridiculous.

The OP was PERFECTLY FINE with their 5yo sleeping on the Pullman when they originally made the reservation, but NOW they have a problem with it????

And don't give me that "it's not safe if they hit rough seas" baloney -- a small child is NOT going to be thrown out of a Pullman bed unless the ship turns over like the Concordia, plain and simple. At that point, it's not going to matter who was sleeping on which bed -- you'll all be underwater and swimming for the door.

This is simply sour grapes on the part of the OP -- they want something for nothing, at least that's my opinion. The only reason that the cut-off for sleeping in the Pullman is 6yo is because some pencil-pusher in the Risk Management department of the cruise line's insurance company chose that number.

I know kids who can sleep safely in a Pullman at age three, and I know kids whose judgment I wouldn't trust to not do something stupid (like jump out instead of using the ladder) at age twelve. The age of six is nothing more than a number.

And before anyone asks, my own son slept in the Pullman at age three and age four (two different cruises on two different lines) -- he loved his "special bunk bed"!

And the room was set up such that the Pullman was above the double bed anyway, so if he did intentionally make himself fall out of bed (the only way he was going to "fall out" -- there is a railing on those things, you know!), he would have landed on the double bed right underneath him.

OP, just grow up. If your kid is afraid to sleep in a Pullman, you shouldn't have booked one. If you're afraid to have your kid sleep in a Pullman, you shouldn't have booked one. Otherwise, put your kid wherever you want (the kid can even sleep on the floor -- kids can and will sleep anywhere, with or without a sheet / blanket / pillow!) and simply enjoy your cruise!

You're my hero:D:eek:

While it´s unfortunate for you, I can´t really see any fault here with RCI and their rep, unless you very specifically pointed out that it absolutely has to be your kid sleeping in the bunk bed.

Your booking is perfectly fine, the cabin can acommodate your Party, it´s just not to your liking in regards to sleeping Arrangements.

RCI and their reps are not mind Readers, knowing it won´t be acceptable to you to have one of the adults sleep in the bunk.

Simple, RCL when taking the reservation 'should have' told them the rule against the child in the pullman! (Why isn't it described before hand?)

That doesn't take a mind reader, just common sense!:eek:

Absurd comments!

Look in the mirror when using your words!:eek:

That's my thinking as well. And really, does anyone actually think a child who is 5 will be any less safe than a child who is 6? C'mon, the 6 is just a number that they thought of. OP, if you were fine with putting your child in the pullman prior to this "mishap", why don't you just let them sleep there?

OP, I see you've been on other cruises. Has your child slept on pullmans on any other cruise lines?

When I took my two kids, (who were 3 1/2 and 6 1/2 at the time), I had no idea they weren't allowed to sleep on the pullman beds till today!!?!? They both slept on them. And we were ok with it at the time because it was right above our ov king size bed. So if they fell ( which DID happen btw) they would fall right into our bed (and they did) lol it was pretty funny too bc my daughter continued to sleep when she plopped down from above right in between us.. No one ever told us they weren't allowed to sleep up there. I can obviously understand why tho.

icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

Simple, RCL when taking the reservation 'should have' told them the rule against the child in the pullman! (Why isn't it described before hand?)

That doesn't take a mind reader, just common sense!:eek:

Unfortunately it becomes more and more obvious on threads like this that common sense isn´t that common these days anymore:eek: