Minimum Age for chefs table

AudBee

Does anyone know if there is a minimum age for the food only chefs table? My 15 year old foodie daughter wants to do it, but we cannot seem to find out anywhere if she can. Thanks in advance

Does anyone know if there is a minimum age for the food only chefs table? My 15 year old foodie daughter wants to do it, but we cannot seem to find out anywhere if she can. Thanks in advance

We did the Chef's table on the Royal last month. They serve a lot of wines so the minimum age would be 21.

While they do server a lot of wines, they have a non-alcohol option for those that don't drink. I don't see that being a big issue.

Allergies and intolerances, on the other hand, usually get you kicked out, but I was lucky that my lactose intolerance was able to be handled on the last one.

I hope you and your daughter are able to partake in this dinner.

I've asked in the past on board and was told 21 is the minimum age not so much about the booze but about the overall atmosphere and how some adults don't want to dine with kids no matter how well behaved they are.

I don't believe there is an age requirement on Princess (I believe there is on Royal Caribbean and maybe other cruise lines, though). I called and inquired last year (expecting that I would leave my five-year-old at the kid's club during the dinner) but they she was welcome to attend. However, I didn't think it would be "cost-effective" for her at that age. I decided not to do it at all but I do believe children/teens can attend at the "no alcohol" price.

We had a very well-mannered twelve year old foodie at our table three or four years ago. We had a nice conversation about his favorite Food Network TV shows and meals he liked to cook. :)

I see no reason your DD couldn't attend, but it is always best to check in case things have changed.

We did the Chef's table on the Royal last month. They serve a lot of wines so the minimum age would be 21.

That's a non sequitur. You can have plenty of wine served at your table in the MDR but that doesn't mean that children can't sit at the table. And they obviously must serve soft drinks at the Chef's Table for the many adults who don't drink alcohol for one reason or another.

Your 15 yo daughter seems to have the maturity and interest to want to attend this event. It's a good way to cement interest in food preparation and she may choose a career in the food and hospitality industry later on.

I would be delighted to share a chef's table with her. At a pinch, you could introduce her to the Maitre'd before to get a thumbs up. I hope she learns a lot and enjoys the experience.

We have been privileged to enjoy the Chef's Table in the company of some very polite and interesting teenagers. They are certainly welcome to attend, and let me just say that most parents are not going to pay the price to bring along a teenager who doesn't want to be there. Hence, good behavior is more likely from the teens than from some of the adults. Overall we have always had a convivial group and wonderful meal.

While they do server a lot of wines, they have a non-alcohol option for those that don't drink. I don't see that being a big issue.

Allergies and intolerances, on the other hand, usually get you kicked out, but I was lucky that my lactose intolerance was able to be handled on the last one.

I hope you and your daughter are able to partake in this dinner.

That's not true, I'm allergic to wine, shellfish and mangos and the Chef's table handled my concerns without a problem.

I hope the two of you get to do it, it was a fantastic experience.

On the other hand, to play devil's advocate, it was very much an adult experience. Not just the food and wine. I know i would not have wanted to have charming chats with a 15 year old at the dinner. I am sure she is mature and well behaved etc etc but she is still a child.

On the other hand, to play devil's advocate, it was very much an adult experience. Not just the food and wine. I know i would not have wanted to have charming chats with a 15 year old at the dinner. I am sure she is mature and well behaved etc etc but she is still a child.

Please don't discourage her. If you are at the same Chef's Table, no one is going to force you to sit next to her.

Personally, I would much rather sit next to a mature 15 year old foodie than to an adult who didn't care for the food, who was there only because his or her spouse wanted to, and who spent all the time drinking as much as possible (yes, I've seen at least one of these at a Chef's Table).

I have found that age is largely irrelevant, it's the attitude that counts and it sounds like this young lady has the attitude and interest that will make her an interesting dinner companion.

At our Chef's table, there were no conversations that would have been inappropriate for a 15 year old to hear.

It specifically says on the invite that people with food intolerances or allergies will be encouraged not to attend:

http://canadane.pamandjeff.net/Chefs%20Table%20Invite.pdf

That said, many ECs will make a reasonable effort to accomodate, but if there is large demand, it will make sense to take those not requiring accomodation first.

That's not true, I'm allergic to wine, shellfish and mangos and the Chef's table handled my concerns without a problem.

I hope the two of you get to do it, it was a fantastic experience.

No offense, but it's really not up to you and can you imagine a cool teenager wanting to sit next to an old, boring, wrinkled social security recipient? (I'm including myself in this definition - except for the ss).

I have found that age is largely irrelevant, it's the attitude that counts and it sounds like this young lady has the attitude and interest that will make her an interesting dinner companion.

At our Chef's table, there were no conversations that would have been inappropriate for a 15 year old to hear.

No offense, but it's really not up to you and can you imagine a cool teenager wanting to sit next to an old, boring, wrinkled social security recipient? (I'm including myself in this definition - except for the ss).

I totally agree - I would much rather enjoy conversation with a 15 year old foodie who is excited to be participating than a partially deaf old person who is there only because their significant other insisted on not attending solo. Polite conversation is inclusive and one is expected to find common interests as topics. Easy when it is a table of foodies.:)