Escaping The DAM Winter!

Saphire

We just returned from our 7th HAL cruise and had a fabulous time. This year was extra special as we are from Boston, and the winter has been brutal. What a way to welcome Spring, sailing on the (in the words of Captain Rens Van Eerten) "beautiful, elegant Westerdam!"

We started out in an Obstructed view stateroom, but thanks to several upsell offers, finally landed in an SY suite at the 11th hour. The room looked great, and we noticed new curtains, sofa, throw pillows and bed skirt. The colors are much more pleasing than the previous orange color scheme. Our stewards, Pitoko and Gede, were so friendly, sweet and hard working. I hope we received their award for "tidiest cabin", (haha). I do like to lighten their work just a bit.

The weather for the entire week was perfect. No rain, sunny skies, and nice temps in the 80's. No rough seas, beautiful sunrises and sunsets. We took so many beautiful pictures. We could not have asked for more.

There were many families with children on this trip, as well as young adults. We are early risers and my husband and I enjoyed the best part of the day at the Lido pool. It was very peaceful and quiet, many mornings we had the pool to ourselves. We would stay until 11:00 am or so, then move on to other things. We often walked by the pool at one point or another in the afternoon, and it was crazy busy!

Grand Turk: There were two ships in port. We walked to Governor's Beach. I had heard they may not be open, and that ended up being true. The facilities were closed down and forlorn looking. No chairs or float rentals. All of this was fine by us, as we ended up being the only ones on this gorgeous beach! The water was so nice. We stayed here for the whole morning. The walk to and from the beach is not great, and we were so shocked to see things looking worse from a few years ago. Just don't know what is happening with their government. On the way back to the ship we checked out Margaritaville out of curiosity. This was really awful. My idea of hell. People packed in the pool, people drinking and smoking...in the pool! Some DJ guy yelling to the crowd to start a conga line with lewd jokes about being drunk and other risqué stuff. NOT family friendly! But there were lots and lots of kids. I guess this is where the government decided to spend their tourist dollars, yet there is Governor's Beach, just sitting there, a beautiful diamond in the rough.

St. Thomas was next, but we stayed on the ship this time. We had beautiful views and lovely breezes from the AFT pool. It was nice to experience a Lido lunch without crowds. The food there is always so good and varied. When there aren't a lot of people it so much fun to roam around and see all the truly amazing things they offer. Sushi on a Tuesday afternoon? Yes, please! As we left St Thomas we enjoyed Happy Hour in the Crow's Nest with a friendly bunch of people doing the same. Spectacular views, warm sun. Relaxation mode was in full force!

The sail into San Juan is stunning. We walked around the port area, visiting the San Juan Bautista Cathedral, and got some more beautiful pics. They had Gregorian music playing, it was a nice moment to sit and be quiet, thanking God for all His blessings including this wonderful trip. :)

On our second sea day we used our trick of early to the pool, early to leave, and then had a delicious lunch in the Pinnacle. The food on our trip was excellent. We highly recommend the Canaletto for dinner, we went there twice. The view is A-mazing, if you love watching the beautiful, changing colors of the sky and sea as the sun is setting (go before 7:00). It is quiet there, the service is excellent, and we enjoyed our meals very much. We loved talking to Yani, our server from Bali. We dined in the Pinnacle one night and we both had the Filet. I will be remembering that all year. The new lemon tart with blueberry whipped cream was awesome! Much better than any dessert I have had previously in the Pinnacle.

Our final and most spectacular port was Half Moon Cay. This place is so beautiful it makes me cry. Digging our feet in the sand, enjoying the aqua water and feeling the warm sun on our skin is so healing after a long, hard, cold, relentless winter. And it was our last day. We tried to savor every moment. Swim, sun, swim, sun, hammocks, barbecue, rum punch, swim, sun...and it was time to go. Half Moon Cay is a very special place.

Thank you HAL for your ships, your service, and for sailing to warm, wonderful places. NOW, I can welcome Spring!

I'm surprised at what was going on in Margaritaville when you were there.

We have been there three times in one of the cabanas and found it very relaxing and enjoyable. Everyone was behaving and there wasn't much of a crowd at all.

I think, from your description that we must have just been very lucky and hit it at the right times.

It's been a long time since we bothered to go to the Canaletto but after reading your endorsement I think we will try it this time. We are boarding the Westerdam in 12 days.

Edited by sapper1

Great report. However, we were at Grand Turk 2 weeks ago and found it clean and well managed. No nonsense at Margaritaville at all. We loved the BB King Blues Club and hope everyone says hi to Kitty and her band. Highly talented group. We enjoyed this cruise and think the ship is in fine shape. Thanks for your review!

Great report. I really enjoyed reading it and thank you for posting it.

I just heard the early news weather report and we may actually have a day in Boston this coming week

that will reach 65 degrees. :) We've earned it. :D

Edited by sail7seas