7day Cruise with a Carry-on?

calisilent

The "big purse" I have is 8x6x10. I pack my jewelry in a satin zippered pouch, as I don't bring an abundance of jewelry, my makeup bag is a pouch too, 5 cosmetics inside, small bottle of ibuprofen, one bottle thyroid meds, toothbrush, hairbrush, travel curling iron, wallet, phone, phone charger, mints, chocolate M & Ms! I don't bring a hair dryer, as the pre cruise hotel and ship have hair dryers.

DH and I will get toothpaste and mouthwash, suave shampoo and conditioner, sun screen and wine at the Rite Aid across from the pre cruise hotel the day before.

Thank goodness my husband does not read posts on cruise critic. I don't want him to see your packing lists and encourage me to try and do it as well. I am notorious for overpacking. He once dropped our (MY) suitcases in the underground tunnel in Paris near trains and declared loudly that he had a hernia!!! I have narrowed it down a little over the past 40 years but still tend to pack too much. We just returned from nearly three months in Mexico and I only had one large suitcase and one carry-on. For me that is very good.

We have a fall cruise booked that is 28 days and I will try to minimize the luggage and follow your good example. We will spend one week before the cruise in France but I can wash all my clothing before we go to the ship so that will help.

Edited by mexico8

Another side of the packing in a small carry-on that I never see discussed much - what size clothing are we talking about!!!! I'm not a tiny person, and I am sure my clothing takes up much more room than someone who is 5' and wears a size small!!!!!

Just laughing about it! The new fabrics that drip dry quickly and can be rolled are wonderful for traveling, and I love to use them, but if you wear a large or extra-large you are going to take up more space in your suitcase for everything, even underwear!

As I said previously, I am glad that many of you can manage to do it - even if I could I probably wouldn't be able to lift my carry-on up to the overhead bin.

Incidentally, that's another story - my husband, who was a very frequent flyer, and knew how to handle bags, offered to grab a bag from the overhead for a lady. He ended up with a torn biceps muscle. It took two people to get it down for her (not sure how it got up - didn't notice her boarding), but so many of those really heavy carry-ons are skirting the baggage weight limitations so as not to pay fees. Last year saw a flight attendant insist that a passenger return to the gate to check a bag and have it weighed - it was so obviously heavy!

Good luck - it's not just something I could do!

I have filled as many 3 Oz bottles as I could in a quart sized bag plus a couple more in the second bag of sunscreen in a pinch when going somewhere in the bvis where I wouldn't be able to get to a real store for awhile...we use rash guards with high spf so that really helps cut down how much we need...you can now buy bottles made out of silicone that let you use all the room in the bag....nice and squishy.....l love a packing challenge!

Another side of the packing in a small carry-on that I never see discussed much - what size clothing are we talking about!!!! I'm not a tiny person, and I am sure my clothing takes up much more room than someone who is 5' and wears a size small!!!!!

Just laughing about it! The new fabrics that drip dry quickly and can be rolled are wonderful for traveling, and I love to use them, but if you wear a large or extra-large you are going to take up more space in your suitcase for everything, even underwear!

As I said previously, I am glad that many of you can manage to do it - even if I could I probably wouldn't be able to lift my carry-on up to the overhead bin.

Incidentally, that's another story - my husband, who was a very frequent flyer, and knew how to handle bags, offered to grab a bag from the overhead for a lady. He ended up with a torn biceps muscle. It took two people to get it down for her (not sure how it got up - didn't notice her boarding), but so many of those really heavy carry-ons are skirting the baggage weight limitations so as not to pay fees. Last year saw a flight attendant insist that a passenger return to the gate to check a bag and have it weighed - it was so obviously heavy!

Good luck - it's not just something I could do!

OK. I'll bite. I used to be as obese as needing to wear ladies' size 2X. Still packed in a carryon. I'm now down to a 12 on the bottom and an 18 on top (have always been top heavy - once was a 10 and 18). I don't notice a big difference in volume of clothes due to not being obese. I wear 8.5 (EU 39) shoes.

I have filled as many 3 Oz bottles as I could in a quart sized bag plus a couple more in the second bag of sunscreen in a pinch when going somewhere in the bvis where I wouldn't be able to get to a real store for awhile...we use rash guards with high spf so that really helps cut down how much we need...you can now buy bottles made out of silicone that let you use all the room in the bag....nice and squishy.....l love a packing challenge!

Adding on......

Three oz of many lotions and potions is too much for just a week. Try finding smaller containers. We recycle eye drop containers (Argan Oil) and contact lens cases (hair gel and Vaseline). Containers can also be found in the backpacking section of sporting goods stores.

Before a trip I'll test run how many uses I can get out of something. Travel toothpaste has 14 uses. One side of a contact lens case is 10 uses.

I could easily pack for a week in a carry on, but my DH, not so much. He always wants extra t-shirts, socks, and underwear, although why, I don't know, when I could easily wash stuff out in the sink. Roll your clothes, and put socks and undies inside your shoes to take up less space. Since you are going wear it will be warm, you won't have the problem of needing to pack sweaters and coats, although a light windbreaker or rainproof jacket wouldn't be a bad idea.

Three weeks in a carry on. See my signature. Substitute the black skirt for a long black skirt. Done.

Thank you so much for posting your list! My husband said I should just pack a normal bag and check it on the plane, just like he is going to do. We are flying Southwest so it isn't even a matter of bag charges.

I just think I want to see if it is possible to do a carry-on so that I can keep it with me AND so that I don't over-pack. On other cruises I have always packed twice as much as I need and never wore some of it at all.

My rule for using just the carry-on is going to be that it does not exceed 25 pounds fully loaded. One responder made a good point about heavy cases that have to be lifted into the overhead... I would hate to drop it in the stowing or retrieving and hit someone. ! Yikes, I would feel bad.

I packed my test case, but didn't think about weighing it.

On our first cruise, we seriously over-packed. With two adults and two children, our small room was overcrowded, and it did impact our trip. On the next trip, we thought we packed better, but we still brought home un-used items. On the way home from that second trip, we made a list of the things we'd actually USED, and since then that's been our cruise packing list. It is shorter than I would've believed possible, but since we made that list, we've enjoyed cruising more. The only things we ever add are specific things for excursions we've planned (for example, sometimes we take snorkeling equipment, other times we don't).

Not only is it possible to pack in a carry-on, it's downright easy:

- Fold everything carefully to use all the space in your suitcase

- Take it easy on shoes -- a couple basic pair will match all your clothes

- Pack two shirts for every pair of shorts, and save the "second wear" for an island stop (because they're likely to get hot and sweaty)

- If you wear an outfit just to breakfast, hang it up and wear it again later

Guys have it harder in some ways /easier in others:

- Their shoes take up more space, but they really only need one pair of dinner shoes, one pair of flip-flops or beach shoes, and one pair of tennis shoes. Put these in the suitcase first and pack other things on top of them.

- If dress pants are only going to be worn to dinner, one pair will really work for the whole week; after all, if they're going to be worn for a 2 hour dinner each evening, that's 14 hours of wear the whole week -- totally acceptable.

The only electronics we pack are phones (which we leave in the safe after boarding) and Kindles for reading.

Skip the hair dryer -- the one in the room is fine.

We do take packages of crackers and peanuts because my husband is diabetic, and sometimes he needs something RIGHT THIS MINUTE, especially during island stops, when we don't really know where we can go get a bite to eat.

Don't skimp on over-the-counter medicines.

Instead of a large purse, take a tote bag for your personal carry-on item -- it doubles as your beach bag.

I can get the clothes in, but by the time I buy items when we reach the port like the mouthwash, hair spray, bottles of wine, etc., I'm lugging around a rolling carry-on, a LARGE purse/tote bag, and now I have a bag with toiletries and wine. For me, I can just as easily check a bag and have my OTC and prescription meds, a couple of clothing pieces, swimsuit and cover-up, bottles of wine (which leaves room on the return for things I buy) and electronics. That only leaves me having to go on the ship with my small rolling carry-on and a cross-body purse, giving me a free hand. For me, that's just as convenient in the end.

On our first cruise, we seriously over-packed. With two adults and two children, our small room was overcrowded, and it did impact our trip. On the next trip, we thought we packed better, but we still brought home un-used items. On the way home from that second trip, we made a list of the things we'd actually USED, and since then that's been our cruise packing list. It is shorter than I would've believed possible, but since we made that list, we've enjoyed cruising more. The only things we ever add are specific things for excursions we've planned (for example, sometimes we take snorkeling equipment, other times we don't).

Not only is it possible to pack in a carry-on, it's downright easy:

- Fold everything carefully to use all the space in your suitcase

- Take it easy on shoes -- a couple basic pair will match all your clothes

- Pack two shirts for every pair of shorts, and save the "second wear" for an island stop (because they're likely to get hot and sweaty)

- If you wear an outfit just to breakfast, hang it up and wear it again later

Guys have it harder in some ways /easier in others:

- Their shoes take up more space, but they really only need one pair of dinner shoes, one pair of flip-flops or beach shoes, and one pair of tennis shoes. Put these in the suitcase first and pack other things on top of them.

- If dress pants are only going to be worn to dinner, one pair will really work for the whole week; after all, if they're going to be worn for a 2 hour dinner each evening, that's 14 hours of wear the whole week -- totally acceptable.

The only electronics we pack are phones (which we leave in the safe after boarding) and Kindles for reading.

Skip the hair dryer -- the one in the room is fine.

We do take packages of crackers and peanuts because my husband is diabetic, and sometimes he needs something RIGHT THIS MINUTE, especially during island stops, when we don't really know where we can go get a bite to eat.

Don't skimp on over-the-counter medicines.

Instead of a large purse, take a tote bag for your personal carry-on item -- it doubles as your beach bag.

Mrs. Pete, I LOVE your idea of writing a list of what we actually wore during the last cruise. I know I repeated a couple of things and we sent out a laundry bag in the middle of the cruise and wore those things again too!

Clever!

HELLO EVERYONE - a 24 inch case is not a carryon on any airline (OK maybe some private ones).

Upon further reflection, Southwest lists the carry-on parameters as 24x16x10, but I know that means a 22" or less, as 24 includes the wheels.

We have always taken one checked (big SOB) and a carry-on. We never have used all of the clothes and stuff we pack and since they confiscated my booze last trip, we are going to try two carry-on's this time and buy the drink package. I'm confident that I can get all my stuff in one bag. DW may be another issue.

In your opinion, is it possible to pack in a 10x16x24 carry-on for 7 days with 2 formal nights and a ful day pre-cruise?

Possible, and fairly easy. Although the bag you list is 50 linear inches and the limit is usually 45". Plus, some airlines are cracking down on bags that don't fit in the sizer at the gate. Even a bag that is 45" linear inches might not fit the sizer. Although, enforcement seems to be hit or miss. And fairly arbitrary. I've seen huge bags make it on board and stuffed into overhead bins and I've seen 22" rollaboards get gate checked. Just don't expand your bag as it will be too thick to fit into the bin.

Most cruise lines seem to be ok with a suit or jacket and collared shirt/tie for men for formal night. Have him wear the jacket/suit on the plane if formal is important to you. It does seem that what counts for women's formal/festive wear can be easily packed. I haven't seen many gowns lately. We no longer do formal. It was kind of fun the first time, but that quickly faded with each successive cruise. We haven't set foot in the main dining room on the last 4 cruises and have had wonderful meals on our balcony, at the buffet, by the pool, and in specialty restaurants.

As far as the other clothing, it's the Caribbean, and it's warm. For me it's cargo shorts or swim suit, an Ex-Officio Air Strip Shirt, and some Keens or sneakers every day. I take several air strip shirts, a couple pairs of khaki pants, a couple Tommy Bahama type shirts (or as a friend refers to them, fat guy bowling shirts) a couple golf shirts, Ex Officio underwear, a pair of black loafers, sox, and I'm good to go. I do some laundry, but it really isn't a big deal. It's all dry by morning.

I always buy a few Cariloha bamboo tshirts (I love them, there, I said it):D so I have those to wear as well. I easily get the clothes, a small JBL ipod speaker, a rain shell, a hat, my travel "tool" bag (zippered pouch with mini mag lite, headlamp, TSA compliant multi-tool, ear plugs, sleep mask, sewing kit, ear buds, ipod and charger, compact first aid kit, moleskine notebook, pen) my tiny bathroom bag/ziplock (travel size toothbrush/paste, two razors, travel size shave cream, travel size deodorant) and whatever else I think I need in my rollaboard and my daypack. The rollaboard easily fits in an overhead bin and the daypack goes under the seat in front of me. No hogging necessary. ;)

It took my wife a while to come around to this, but she uses up the open space in my bag, so she's happy. Plus, I do all the lifting. We didn't always travel this way, but since we've made the switch, it has been very freeing. Self embark, we get unpacked as soon as we get to the cabin, and self debark, we're off quickly and to the airport or wherever we're going. I'm never waiting around at a luggage carousel, wondering if our bags are going to show up destroyed/or show up at all.

For those that need lots of sunscreen or a specific brand of sunscreen: how about asking your MD to prescribe it for you? If your Dr. determines that it's medically necessary, they can prescribe over the counter meds/gels/lotions. Prescribed meds and gels are exempt from the 3-1-1 liquid rules.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/medically-necessary-liquids-gels-and-aerosols

Just let the TSA agent know and have a copy of prescription. Just a thought.

We like the freedom and mobility of traveling light, but I get that this mode of travel isn't for everyone. Do what works for you and enjoy your cruise!

I'm an average sized woman. I specifically pack light weight fabrics that dry quickly (they're more comfortable in humidity and drip dry in the shower). The rayon sleeveless top I wear to dinner with a shrug sweater is probably my daytime trivia/games/show top the next day.

This may sound silly, but pack bras that aren't shaped/padded -- you probably have a mix of styles. The 'flat' ones take up a ton less space. You'll probably shower frequently, so plan to wear pjs more than once (if you wear them!)

I use big ziplocks, and can pack for 7 days in a carry on and beach bag (zipped) ... knowing that I'll probably rinse swimwear and anything that got sweaty while ashore.

Yes it's very possible. BF and I shared one carry on between the two of us, and we had our own personal bag. This was for an 11 nt cruise with a one night pre cruise stay. We still had several items we didn't use or wear. Could have gone with even less.

The thing that takes up the most room is shoes bc they don't compress, so choose carefully. We never check our bags in case our luggage is lost. And no our formal wardrobe for the most part cannot be replaced as most of it is vintage or one of a kind/handmade.

Yes it's very possible. BF and I shared one carry on between the two of us, and we had our own personal bag. This was for an 11 nt cruise with a one night pre cruise stay. We still had several items we didn't use or wear. Could have gone with even less.

The thing that takes up the most room is shoes bc they don't compress, so choose carefully. We never check our bags in case our luggage is lost. And no our formal wardrobe for the most part cannot be replaced as most of it is vintage or one of a kind/handmade.

Wow! I am quite intrigued and would love to see your wardrobe. Especially the vintage as I too love vintage pieces. I'm absolutely packing in a single carry-on and not going to have to stress about losing my luggage!

Wow! I am quite intrigued and would love to see your wardrobe. Especially the vintage as I too love vintage pieces. I'm absolutely packing in a single carry-on and not going to have to stress about losing my luggage!

While I don't like having pictures taken of me, I can tell you about my formal cruising clothes! The shoes I take are not quite vintage but late 1990s Gucci bamboo heels. The top parts are stretch fabric so they squish down.

My formal dress is an unknown brand (no label) vintage metallic cocktail dress with a poufy bubble skirt. And my clutch is a silver beaded bag from the 1960s from Hong Kong (was my mother's). I wear the same outfit each cruise and each formal night, usually there being two. My jewelry is also given to me from my mother (given to her from her mother).

Also if I want to bring or happen to have the room, I have some small fascinators I wear on formal night. Those are the handmade/OOAK items I can't bear to lose. Well the others too!

Bf's clothes are not quite as old but still not re-buyable. Esp in his size.

I'm an average sized woman. I specifically pack light weight fabrics that dry quickly (they're more comfortable in humidity and drip dry in the shower). The rayon sleeveless top I wear to dinner with a shrug sweater is probably my daytime trivia/games/show top the next day.

This may sound silly, but pack bras that aren't shaped/padded -- you probably have a mix of styles. The 'flat' ones take up a ton less space. You'll probably shower frequently, so plan to wear pjs more than once (if you wear them!)

I use big ziplocks, and can pack for 7 days in a carry on and beach bag (zipped) ... knowing that I'll probably rinse swimwear and anything that got sweaty while ashore.

I'm guessing you wear a small bra size. Your advice is laughable to many of us. Plus bras with no padding allow NP--which is tacky and gross.

What I do with my lightly padded underwires is fold them and then pack them against the side of my suitcase. Because I roll, this method works very well to fill in the gaps. I typically take three bras plus the one I am wearing and a sports bra. They wash out and dry overnight.

As to swimwear, I would hope you rinse it out every time you wear it. Not doing so would be like repeating used panties. Ish.

Edited by ducklite

I'm guessing you wear a small bra size. Your advice is laughable to many of us. Plus bras with no padding allow NP--which is tacky and gross.

What I do with my lightly padded underwires is fold them and then pack them against the side of my suitcase. Because I roll, this method works very well to fill in the gaps. I typically take three bras plus the one I am wearing and a sports bra. They wash out and dry overnight.

As to swimwear, I would hope you rinse it out every time you wear it. Not doing so would be like repeating used panties. Ish.

As someone who has been doomed to 36E/F bras since high school, may I say I don't do padded bras. The last thing I need is to add any volume! I use DIMRS - best things I've ever found. They work with every bra, bathing suit and self-bra on a camisole I've ever had.

And, I can still pack in my carry-on….

Edited by slidergirl

As someone who has been doomed to 36E/F bras since high school, may I say I don't do padded bras. The last thing I need is to add any volume! I use DIMRS - best things I've ever found. They work with every bra, bathing suit and self-bra on a camisole I've ever had.

And, I can still pack in my carry-on….

There's a difference between padding and 1/16th inch of fiberfill that stops NP. I am large busted and wouldn't dream of wearing a bra without a bit of padding to stop the headlight effect.

There's a difference between padding and 1/16th inch of fiberfill that stops NP. I am large busted and wouldn't dream of wearing a bra without a bit of padding to stop the headlight effect.

DIMRS do the same thing without having the padding in the entire cup, only where it's needed to prevent "headlights". To me, it's a huge difference. Used with a sports bra when you are active, DIMRS help eliminate the "chafing" that happens, especially if you are a distance runner...

Edited by slidergirl

I use big ziplocks, and can pack for 7 days in a carry on and beach bag (zipped)

You make an excellent choice of "beach bag" . I really give a lot of thought as to what my "personal item " is. I don't just take a purse, even a big one, because I want something with multiple uses. A beach bag or back pack that I can stick my regular purse in can double as an excursion bag for day trips or beach days.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app