Tipping on National Express

kjg46

My DW and I will be taking the National Express coach from Heathrow to Southampton.

We will have 3 items of luggage. Can someone comment on tipping the driver on National Express? Is it in good form to tip? If so, what would be the amount expected by the driver?

Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Kjg46 remember your not in Kansas ( Texas) any more. There is little tipping in England except for 10-12 % in some restaurants tips are not expected. Service people are paid a living wage unlike those in the US.

Edited by orchestrapal

Kjg46 remember your not in Kansas ( Texas) any more. There is little tipping in England except for 10-12 % in some restaurants tips are not expected. Service people are paid a living wage unlike those in the US.

I am not sure how I should take the comment "your not in Kansas" However, I appreciate you making the effort to share your ideas on this board. Yes, we have traveled in Europe numerous times and I am aware of the tipping expectations in most situations. However, with the National Express route: Heathrow to Southampton I "assume" carry numerous visitors like myself. Although the service is general public transportation. The many tourists using the mode may tend to bring it in line with the expectations of porters that assist with luggage at many airports. Thanks for your comments.

I've never heard of anybody tipping when travelling on National Express.

One time when it's commonplace. At Dover, Nat Express coach drivers will offer to take cruisers to the cruise terminal rather than drop them in town, which would mean a local cab ride.

A tip of a fiver per couple shares that saved cab fare between driver & cruiser.;)

For reasons I'll not bore folk with, that's not possible in Southampton - you need to make your own way between coach station & your cruise terminal.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

The only time we tipped on National Express was when, in addition to our luggage, we had a wheelchair since I had just broken my ankle the week before the cruise. The driver also had to convince a passenger who had taken the seat with enough leg room for my boot to move so my foot would not be in an awkward position, blocking the aisle. He went above and beyond.

If you would tip a Greyhound driver then in the same circumstance you should consider tipping the National Coach driver. Even for stowing a normal sized suitcase I wouldn't tip Greyhound, so unless the driver is doing something really special for you, no tip is necessary.

Please restrict your tipping culture to the US where it belongs. Many Europeans and Australians find it offensive that some Americans try to spread their culture around the world and then some people act as if they therefore deserve "better" treatment. Good manners and a thank you will be greatly appreciated.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by paddingtonbear
  • Like 1

I am not sure how I should take the comment "your not in Kansas" However, I appreciate you making the effort to share your ideas on this board. Yes, we have traveled in Europe numerous times and I am aware of the tipping expectations in most situations. However, with the National Express route: Heathrow to Southampton I "assume" carry numerous visitors like myself. Although the service is general public transportation. The many tourists using the mode may tend to bring it in line with the expectations of porters that assist with luggage at many airports. Thanks for your comments.

We have taken National Express quite a few times. No need to tip. Sometimes, a few of the big blokes will help the driver unpack the bags from the busses. Definitely no need to tip. Mummsie

Apparently, you didn't recognize the phrase "not in Kansas" from the movie The Wizard of Oz. Here's a link to a You Tube clip from the movie:

Also used them a lot and agree absolutely no need to tip - unless of course you felt they had done an exceptional favour for you.

The qualification is unnecessary. Even then a tip is not necessary. A smile and thank you is all that is required.

The qualification is unnecessary. Even then a tip is not necessary. A smile and thank you is all that is required.

I disagree. If I do something well over and above my expected job duties, I am compensated for it by my boss in some manner. It might be a cash bonus, a gift card for dinner, or theater tickets. The surgery scheduler at my doctors office worked some magic when scheduling me for a procedure, I thanked her with a restaurant gift card. It's common courtesy to reward someone who helps you out above the service they are supposed to provide.

As I said, for normal driving, taking tickets, or storage of typical baggage, no tip is required. But if they stow particularly heavy or awkward items, take great care with fragile items, or perform some other task that is beyond the norm, it's a sign of respect and courtesy to reward them for their trouble and attention.

Edited by ducklite

I disagree. If I do something well over and above my expected job duties, I am compensated for it by my boss in some manner. It might be a cash bonus, a gift card for dinner, or theater tickets. The surgery scheduler at my doctors office worked some magic when scheduling me for a procedure, I thanked her with a restaurant gift card. It's common courtesy to reward someone who helps you out above the service they are supposed to provide.

As I said, for normal driving, taking tickets, or storage of typical baggage, no tip is required. But if they stow particularly heavy or awkward items, take great care with fragile items, or perform some other task that is beyond the norm, it's a sign of respect and courtesy to reward them for their trouble and attention.

You are American your tipping/rewarding attitude/beliefs should be confined to the USA. When you are travelling overseas if would be more respectful if you observed the local customs rather than imposing the customs of your country on other countries.

You are American your tipping/rewarding attitude/beliefs should be confined to the USA. When you are travelling overseas if would be more respectful if you observed the local customs rather than imposing the customs of your country on other countries.

In the UK it is quite customary to tip for a variety of services including taxi drivers and servers in restaurants to start. I am probably far more respectful than most when traveling, and as I stated earlier it is not customary to tip a coach driver for regular service/duties. But if they did something extraordinary then it would be rude to not offer some sort of financial gratitude. If they refused it I would thank them again and be on my way. I suspect that the great majority would happily accept it.

Edited by ducklite

Apparently, you didn't recognize the phrase "not in Kansas" from the movie The Wizard of Oz. Here's a link to a You Tube clip from the movie:

Pet Nit Noy:

Yes, I have viewed the movie many times while growing up. "Apparently" you did not view the original post that highlighted state of (Texas). The post was from a fellow countryman on our East Coast. Many folks from that part of the U S look upon people from the Midwest as hayseeds. (An unsophisticated person from a rural area, a bumpkin) thus, the comment "not in Kansas" If you recall from the movie, it takes place on a "farm" in Kansas. That is why I made the remark and thanked the person for taking the time to post on this board. Hopefully, this clears up the "not in Kansas" matter. It still is a fun movie. Just "Follow the yellow brick road" All the Best.

Tipping culture varies considerably around the world. At one extreme, Americans seem to tip generously for everything; at the other, Australians consider the offering and accepting of a tip, demeaning.

I suggest that a look through this website would be rewarding:

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2008-11-11/etiquette-101-tipping-guide

Bob you are right. The difference is I try and tip according to the local customs rather than forcing my culture on other countries around the world. Many Americans can't restrict their tipping policy to the US and respect the cultural differences of other countries.

Bob you are right. The difference is I try and tip according to the local customs rather than forcing my culture on other countries around the world. Many Americans can't restrict their tipping policy to the US and respect the cultural differences of other countries.

I live in one of the biggest tourism destinations in the world, Orlando, FL. It would be nice if those from other countries respected our culture and tipped appropriately. Far too many restaurants have had to institute mandatory gratuities because of foreign visitors who think it's OK to leave $2 on a $78 check.

By the way, my nephew is a bellman at a major resort. While he appreciates the gesture, the tips in other currencies are worthless as he has to pay to exchange, and that eats up the value of the tip. If my husband and I are planning a trip we will buy the currency at par, but that is rare. The other night he got a large Canadian group in, and ended up with about $30 Canadian. The gas station isn't exactly going to let him pay for his tankful in Loons.

They are LOONIES ;)

Maybe he can find some Canuks to buy them at par

I've heard them referred to both ways (as well as Twonies and Twones) by my Canadian friends.

It would be very inappropriate for him to ask a Canadian guest to exchange money. I can't imagine tipping a bellman in Canada with US dollars and can't understand why some Canadians feel it's appropriate to tip in the States with Canadian currency.