Which..Sabatinis or Crown Grill on Regal???

eandj

The experience in the Crown Grill just wasn't up to par. It didn't match all of our other experiences in the Crown Grill. There are cruises where we have spent 4 nights eating there because the food and service were exceptional. Just not this time. Service has really slipped here in my opinion. That's my opinion and my experience on this cruise.

My experience has been that short cruises just don't measure up.

Because of the few days, lots of people buy the drink package,

overwhelming the bars.

Lots of people have disproportunate shipboard credit, so they pack

the speciality resturants.

Almost everyone can walkoff, so disembarcation is a mess.

etc.

:D Looks like a toss up. I'll share the menu with Dh and let him pick. We generally avoid Italian on cruises. Too filling and heavy. But we like Alfredo's pizza and a salad for dinner on Regal.

So Princess still doesn't allow for prebooking in the specialty dining rooms? Where do we book those if not by phone?

Head straight to the specialty restaurant when you board the ship to make your reservation even before going to your cabin. Don't ever bother with the dine line you spend too long on hold and will be told they are all booked.

Head straight to the specialty restaurant when you board the ship to make your reservation even before going to your cabin. Don't ever bother with the dine line you spend too long on hold and will be told they are all booked.

Before I go to the sanctuary and make a reservation for the cruise?

And, before I go to the MUTS pool, and 'steal' a blanket?

And, before I go to embarcation lunch in the din(n)ing room?

This cruising is certainly hectic.

• 4 months later...

Can anyone tell me that has had these dishes or seen these dishes if they come with sides or is it just the meat? You know like veg or pasta or potatoes?

secondi

Bistecca Toscana*

10 ounce strip steak with rosemary, garlic and a touch of our own extra-virgin olive oil

Or

Lombata di Vitello al Forno*

roasted veal rack with mushroom ragout, barolo glaze

My DW and I find we like the Crown Grill better. We eat in it at least once every cruise. Love the Porterhouse:):).

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

We were disappointed with the CG on the Regal not because of the food which was very tasty, but the service was quite poor...and the location of our table was terrible. We were seated right next to the railing that separates the restaurant from the Wheelhouse bar. I cannot understand the reasoning of the ship's designer by placing the tables of an elegant restaurant immediately adjacent to a noisy bar, with a piano not 10 feet from the table. The atmosphere of very loud bar patrons 3 feet from our table and extremely slow and inattentive service were the factors in our decision to not spend our money at the CG on the Regal or Royal on future cruises.

Loved the fish dish in Sabatini's. Went there twice and will return.

Our waiters have always removed the lobster from the shell in the past. We ate in the Crown Grill on the Regal. The food was quite good, but it was very noisy and hard for me to carry on a conversation with DW. This was before the piano player started in the Wheelhouse Bar. I talked to the supervisor in Sabatini's and he complained about the excessive noise from the Piazza which impacted many of the tables near the entrance.

Noise was an issue for us on the Regal. It is so noisy in Vines that they tried to schedule the Stammtisch Table when there was no entertainment so that you could hear the information about the wines. That didn't work for our tasting. At least last September the volume level in the Piazza was just too high to really enjoy the area [emoji26]

Thanks for your thoughts on noise. I know you are knowledgeable, and I trust your opinion. I, too, prefer a quiet restaurant. Thanks again.

In April on the Regal's TA we ate twice at the Crown Grill with the same waiter whose service was not as good as we've previously experienced on other ships. I don't think it had anything to do with being on the Regal & just a less efficient & less friendly waiter.

Each time on the Regal & Royal we have enjoyed the $40 Winemakers Dinner which included free flowing wine & is served on some nights in the "wine cellar" area of the AT dining rooms.

We visited both on the Emerald in July and hands-down enjoyed the Crown Grill much more than Sabbatini's. Overall, both the food and atmosphere were a much more dynamic experience there (while conversely the Italian food and softer open seating area at Sabs were comparatively non-descript). I mean have some wine and get the gnocci at Sabbatini's, but at the CG we had the traditional pre-dinner martini, then Kansas City strip steak AND ("I'll also have the..") lobster tail! POW!! There's ya some eatin' baby!!! ;)

Can anyone tell me that has had these dishes or seen these dishes if they come with sides or is it just the meat? You know like veg or pasta or potatoes?

secondi

Bistecca Toscana*

10 ounce strip steak with rosemary, garlic and a touch of our own extra-virgin olive oil

Or

Lombata di Vitello al Forno*

roasted veal rack with mushroom ragout, barolo glaze

Yes, there are sides available. Here is the menu:

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/CrownGrill-2013-Sample.pdf

The sides are on the bottom of the last page and you can order as many as you like. The portions are large though, more like "sharing" portions.

Yes, there are sides available. Here is the menu:

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/CrownGrill-2013-Sample.pdf

The sides are on the bottom of the last page and you can order as many as you like. The portions are large though, more like "sharing" portions.

No sorry I guess I should have stated that those meals are from Sabatini's not the Crown Grill. On the Sabatini's menu it doesn't list sides.

No sorry I guess I should have stated that those meals are from Sabatini's not the Crown Grill. On the Sabatini's menu it doesn't list sides.

Yes, you get sides in Sabatini's. I don't remember exactly what they were. I'm guessing they might not always be the same thing.

BTW, the last time we ate in Sabatini's (Crown) the veal wasn't fantastic. It wasn't bad, but not as good as the veal chop they used to offer on the menu. It was a bit fatty. However, when I ordered it on the CB last April it was great, basically the same as the veal chop. Perhaps it just varies.

Yes, you get sides in Sabatini's. I don't remember exactly what they were. I'm guessing they might not always be the same thing.

BTW, the last time we ate in Sabatini's (Crown) the veal wasn't fantastic. It wasn't bad, but not as good as the veal chop they used to offer on the menu. It was a bit fatty. However, when I ordered it on the CB last April it was great, basically the same as the veal chop. Perhaps it just varies.

Great thank you. We tried the crown grill on regal princess and felt everything was way salty and the next night I had a steak in the MDR and it was juicier than in crown grill. The desserts were fantastic but that was it. We will be on the CB this time so hopefully they still have the good veal you had. If not it's not like I can't find more food and ot will be free to us as we got in on a 3 for free promotion :D

• 3 months later...
We, DW and I, prefer The Crown Grill on the first night, free for our PH Suite, and Sabatini's for Breakfast every morning. All other times for Evenings is Anytime Dinning as we like to mingle with all. Lunch is on a Private Excursion as most if not all of the ship's excursions do not include a lunch break.

Is there a charge for Sabatini's breakfast?

No charge but it's a perk for passengers in Full Suites only.

Looking forward to this perk come Monday morning. But I still don't see me using it every morning as some have suggested is a must. I still enjoy the buffet experience on the ships. I would have to be just "overwhelmed" with the Sabatini's experience to change that feeling.

Looking forward to this perk come Monday morning. But I still don't see me using it every morning as some have suggested is a must. I still enjoy the buffet experience on the ships. I would have to be just "overwhelmed" with the Sabatini's experience to change that feeling.

Have a blast!

It's interesting that you say that. First let me say I'm not likely to receive this perk any time soon. A full suite is not currently in my future. ;)

I have been very satisfied with the food on Princess in pretty much all of their venues. However, I would have to say breakfast in the buffet is my least favorite. I'm not even sure why. The reality is we eat there almost everyday. I prefer breakfast in the MDR but due to time restraints or other issues we tend to only make it once, maybe twice a cruise.

This is the reason I would love to be able have breakfast in Sabatini's. I guess I'll just have to save up my shekels. :D

It's interesting that you say that. First let me say I'm not likely to receive this perk any time soon. A full suite is not currently in my future. ;)

I have been very satisfied with the food on Princess in pretty much all of their venues. However, I would have to say breakfast in the buffet is my least favorite. I'm not even sure why. The reality is we eat there almost everyday. I prefer breakfast in the MDR but due to time restraints or other issues we tend to only make it once, maybe twice a cruise.

This is the reason I would love to be able have breakfast in Sabatini's. I guess I'll just have to save up my shekels. :D

To be fair.. I don't eat breakfast. Ever. Well, never ever.. I eat breakfast every dang day when on a cruise. My wife says the moment I step on board I turn into a different person. She says this because I don't eat many vegetables. However every morning when on a cruise I get an omelet loaded with mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, peppers.. yadda, yadda.

So for me I think it's more about getting to choose from so many options available rather than sitting at a table trying to decide what I want brought to me.

We have this same suite (same cabin) next year too so it will be interesting to see after next week whether or not I change cabins or keep the suite.

Have a blast!

Thanks Brother. Watch for my review. I'm going to post one of those "not so live" reviews starting Friday morning to include our pre-cruise adventures and then I' just purchased an international package from Verizon so while I may not load any pictures while on the trip, I hope to check in from time to time to give an update on how things are going.

I expect our trip will be fantastic.. regardless of how other's feel about the ship ;)

So for me I think it's more about getting to choose from so many options available rather than sitting at a table trying to decide what I want brought to me.

Now I remember, that's the reason Anthony (my husband - the guy on the left ;)) prefers the buffet for breakfast....and he always eats his vegetables...haha

Have a Great Cruise!! I'm jealous.... :D