Menus at Main Dining - why no "plain" option??

[

fyi adults are aloud to order from the kids menu if they dont like the main menu.

just pick chicken or steak, its always available

QUOTE=Frznrth;46287241]We are on the AofS soon. Someone kindly posted a probable menu. Looks great to me but not so much to the rest of my family. I called and RC rep told me only options at Main Dining are things like surf and turf for an up charge. He suggested going somewhere else if nothing looks good. Ya buffet!! Would it kill RC to offer some plain pasta or a cheese pizza as alacarte items?? Not a lot of dining options on A of S. Oh well. Guess my issue for a family of picky eaters. Just sort of makes me feel ripped off to not realy be able to enjoy the whole experience. I'm sure we will not loose too much weight though :D

fyi adults are aloud to order from the kids menu if they dont like the main menu.

just pick chicken or steak, its always available

Many times we order the Brownie Madness dessert from the kids menu.

My daughter as well. She would be happy if they would just serve her pasta, with some olive oil. Needless to say, we typically eat in the Windjammer every night.

Actually I think that is quite an odd choice, as pasta is available every night on the classics menu. They will happily leave off the red sauce if she prefers to eat it plain.

I have seen a few similar comments on this thread, or people indicating that you have to ask them to specially prepare something like plain chicken breast -- that's not the case at all! The classics menu is designed for those who prefer simple food. I have ordered the steak or the chicken breast a few times myself :)

we had a couple at our table that had spaghetti from the classics menu every night. And Caesar salad with ranch dressing, giggle. I kept wondering why they wanted to eat there every night but couldn't bring myself to ask and automatically assumed with was the awesome tablemates they had. Should have mentioned the kids menu, they may have been happy with that.

He was a seasoned cruiser who would switch up and get the steak a couple times but it was her first cruise. They didn't even understand the whole MDR thing and only got seated with us on day 3 or 4.

Edited by Cru1s1ng2009

OP - I don't know if this applies to your situation, but our kids were picky eaters on their first cruise. Our younger daughter just ate plain pasta or chicken the whole cruise. We convinced our older daughter to try something different each night knowing that she could always get something else if she didn't like what should ordered as her first choice. Our waiter soon learned to be ready to quickly get a couple of Minnie burgers (Disney cruise) if needed.

Our daughter learned that she loved several things that she never would have tried like escargot. She now goes to an Asian restaurant and orders all kinds of interesting sushi. I swear it was that cruise that caused her to change her entire approach to food, i.e. try anything.

Great point bobmacliberty. Cruising is a great time to explore new foods. My husband grew up w/a mom who had very simple food tastes who didn't cook much. They ate lots of TV dinners and mac & cheese. When I met him he "didn't like" so many things but had never tried them. He now tries new foods...and likes most everything he tries :)

Edited by 1ParticularHbr

We use the "you'll eat what we put in front of you" at home, but on a cruise, everyone gets to order what they want. On our last three cruises, my 5 year old ordered the kids' chicken noodle soup and plain pasta every night.

No one is going to say no to an order of plain pasta, or pasta with some butter on it. It's more or less the easiest thing to prepare. Throw some on a plate, serve.

I've had nights where I just wasn't in the mood for anything on the menu (not even the sliders, which are my usual go-to when nothing interests me), so I asked for a plain chicken breast and a baked potato.

My daughter as well. She would be happy if they would just serve her pasta, with some olive oil. Needless to say, we typically eat in the Windjammer every night.

They can serve you some noodles and olive oil or noodles and butter. We do that for my niece. She actually branched out the last cruise and let them put some parmesan cheese on it. :D

I have found that there is very little they will not accommodate if you will just ask. Once you are aboard and in the dining room, just ask. They really don't make a big deal about it.

I sure do not want this to come across as being mean or difficult....

but when I grew up, the answer was : "If you do not want what is on the table, then you don't eat."

And we did not have a dozen choices either.

I don't disagree with some of the sentiment, but I think most of us are a little beyond mom's scolding.

What many seem to like about the main dining room on ships, people can try something new (to them) without fear of that being the only thing they can have to eat. A few cruises back my very picky - as in untrained palate, niece tried the escargot. She has now learned to try many things that her mom, a terrible and unimaginative cook, would have never served.

I love the descriptions of most of the foods in the MDR, but when it comes down to tasting - most is pretty bland. Plus, I think too many of their brown sauces and gravies (on both RCL and Princess) taste like packaged beef baste.

Also, take a look at the "Classics" in the RCI sample menus below. This is the equivalent of Princess' "Always Available." They always have some kind of pasta, chicken, fish, steak and sliders. Again, don't sweat the sauce - they can leave it off.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/download-press-kit/7/

Thanks for posting this link! I see lots of things I could eat on here, which is a relief. Where could I find the menus for my particular cruise?

some of the reps that work at the cruiselines never even been on a cruise

do NOT ever put 100% faith in a person just because they work there

You also have to wonder if it is also part of the company line. I am sure they have had so many questions about menus, and probably exponentially increasing every year with - I can't have flour, my youngest won't eat anything orange, my husband is disgusted by mashed potatoes will they be served, I have XYZ syndrome will garlic be anywhere in the dining room? I know I'm being silly with my scenario, but you've got to admit - when we live in a society where people will send their dietary requests for a meal prepared in a private home that we have gone a little over the top in our society as far as food.

To save the phone reps - who've got to keep the calls moving are not going to answer whether or not great aunt Martha can have her evening cup of broth if it is not listed on the menus provided.

True they could loosen up their answer some - but as soon as they go away from the standard answer - someone will be on here and sending emails up the chain about those idiot phone reps who Swore to them that there would be no cinnamon anywhere on the ship and low and behold - they found a dish with cinnamon while on a cruise. Even if the response was - "I'm sure if you don't want cinnamon or nutmeg on your Snickerdoodles, it can be arranged."

What is this?

I am sure Bob(Clarea) will come back, but I'll bet it is a chocolate brownie with probably vanilla ice cream and chocolate or hot fudge sauce! YUM !:) Bob, Am I close?

Edited by Rala

I am sure Bob(Clarea) will come back, but I'll bet it is a chocolate brownie with probably vanilla ice cream and chocolate or hot fudge sauce! YUM !:) Bob, Am I close?

Exactly. Many times that sounds better than what is on the "adult" dessert menu.

We would like to think that, but RC's customer service is rather well known for being inconsistent with their answers.

Sorry...hit submit too soon. I have learned never to call just once. I call RC multiple times and go for the best 3 out of 5 answers, or top 4 out of 7. Kind of like crowdsourcing the reps.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app