Ruby or Grand??

mike x ftc

We've cruised on the Grand several times and plan to again in the future.. (Hawaii 3 times) .. We love the ship, even though she is aging, she's kept up pretty well by an attentive crew. speaking of crew..exceptional!

We've also sailed the Ruby and yes, she's beautiful, but a bit more crowded feeling.. We have booked her to Hawaii next spring for a change..

One of the more important attractions on a Princess Hawaii cruise is the "Hawaiian Duo".. They will make a big difference in your Hawaiian Experience.. choose wisely.;) I would probably make them one of my deciding factors..

Would gladly cruise on either ship again, destinations and departure dates would be our deciding factor.

The Grand will always be special to us as we were married on board her, she also has a more traditional feel on board with lots of wood panelling used within the ship.

The Ruby is a lovely ship and we had one of our most enjoyable cruises on board her with the most attentive staff to date. Don't be put off by the extra deck and extra passengers as the enlarged grand ships use available deck space more effectively than the standard grand class.

Whatever ship you choose we hope you have a great cruise.

I'm possibly the only fan of One5. I think the layout is superior, there's more room, it doesn't shake constantly, bar service is vastly faster, the access to the outside is better and the seating areas immediately aft are some of my favorite places on any Princess ship. You do lose the daytime views but I tend to prefer to be outside during the day.

I'll be the second fan, its a much more engaging venue. I wouldn't call it a nightclub per-se, but its a great place to hang out with a drink later at night. The outside seating is good anytime of the night or day!

I would say on this itinerary, with a few days of questionable weather, go with the grand, fewer passengers and a covered pool help take the buffet overloads.

One of the more important attractions on a Princess Hawaii cruise is the "Hawaiian Duo".. They will make a big difference in your Hawaiian Experience.. choose wisely.;) I would probably make them one of my deciding factors..

I have a feeling I'm being a bit daft here but I'm not sure I understand!. If it's not too complicated already...:eek:

Hey folks, I just checked the deck plan for the GRAND PRINCESS and found three stairways to heaven, forward stairs (and elevators), MID SHIP STAIRS and elevators and aft stairs and elevator bank. !!!!! Someone's got it wrong here. Sorry, but that's it.

I'll be the second fan, its a much more engaging venue. I wouldn't call it a nightclub per-se, but its a great place to hang out with a drink later at night. The outside seating is good anytime of the night or day!

I would say on this itinerary, with a few days of questionable weather, go with the grand, fewer passengers and a covered pool help take the buffet overloads.

Technically, you'll be the fourth. At least in this thread. :D

Definitely agree with your comments.

Hey folks, I just checked the deck plan for the GRAND PRINCESS and found three stairways to heaven, forward stairs (and elevators), MID SHIP STAIRS and elevators and aft stairs and elevator bank. !!!!! Someone's got it wrong here. Sorry, but that's it.

Sorry but the people who have actually sailed on Grand Princess have it right.

The center staircase is extant but is not accessible to passengers above Deck 7 except during the muster drill. It is an emergency staircase only. I agree that the online deckplans are misleading; in the past printed versions had a disclaimer in tiny print noting that the stairs were not accessible. But that's no excuse for calling out the multiple posters on this thread who are all in agreement about the subject. And that's really it.

Edited by fishywood

Ruby is my all time favorite ship and with Commodore Romano at the helm, it's the icing on the cake. He is a very people accessible Captain. But I would consider the point the other poster made about the enclosed pool.

WOW! Just learned that one cannot trust the deck plans to accurately portray a ship. That is certainly a disappointment for anyone attempting to decide upon ship this or ship that. And then, they plan to drastically change at least two of their ships (Coral, Island). What's a fellow to do? Looks like the Grand is a model for the newish Royal and new Regal?

For a Hawaii cruise, both ships have their positives and negatives as this thread has illustrated. I personally would want to know which ship Elua will be on. They are the "Hawaiian Duo" previously referenced, and they really help make the Hawaiian cruise, IMHO. We love the sea days going from the west coast to the islands and back, and the entertainment and activities that Elua provides during that time are fantastic.

That would be the deciding factor for me - happy on either ship, happiest when ELUA is on board.

For a Hawaii cruise, both ships have their positives and negatives as this thread has illustrated. I personally would want to know which ship Elua will be on. They are the "Hawaiian Duo" previously referenced, and they really help make the Hawaiian cruise, IMHO. We love the sea days going from the west coast to the islands and back, and the entertainment and activities that Elua provides during that time are fantastic.

That would be the deciding factor for me - happy on either ship, happiest when ELUA is on board.

I have heard wonderful things about Elua and was initially disappointed when they were not scheduled for our Hawaiian cruise last April. That being said, we had Brian and Rowena Vasquez and I couldn't be happier. This couple are sooo much fun and make learning to play the uke and doing the hula and lei making a delight. A few of those in the uke class have previously sailed with Elua and stated it was great but, even better and more fun with Brian and

Rowena. Not taking anything away from Elua, just want others to know they can also count on having a great time with other " Hawaiian Duos".

After all, how can you go wrong on any Hawaiian cruise?

With the water problems on the Grand I would pick the Ruby. Don't mind a larger ship.

Can't remember the Hawaiian duo we had but they were okay. They were a Seattle based duo I think.

And yes, the closet on the Grand is smaller but it is manageable. Just rethink the clothes you might be taking?

Just got off the Ruby today and sailed Grand for two weeks last year. I'll never get on the Ruby again, but will happily go with the leaky, creaky Grand! Ruby felt significantly more crowded. On Grand we rarely had to wait for a table for Anytime Dining. Ruby, there were very long lineups for dinner and lunches. All the venues felt busier and overall we both agreed Ruby never again.

Just got off the Ruby today and sailed Grand for two weeks last year. I'll never get on the Ruby again, but will happily go with the leaky, creaky Grand! Ruby felt significantly more crowded. On Grand we rarely had to wait for a table for Anytime Dining. Ruby, there were very long lineups for dinner and lunches. All the venues felt busier and overall we both agreed Ruby never again.

Which venues did you find to be busy, and when? Horizon Court was busy on Ketchikan day, but that's because they didn't do an MDR lunch (which surprised me). If you did Anytime Dining before 7:45pm, don't blame the ship; blame Princess's way of handling dining, as you'd encounter the same problem on any other ship with three dining rooms if Princess decides to do a third traditional seating. As has been discussed in many other threads here, Princess doesn't police Anytime to keep Traditional diners out. Meanwhile, if >40% (I'm guessing) of the passengers request traditional, Princess is willing to sacrifice a second dining room for another early seating of traditional. DW and I decided to try traditional this time around, and we "lost" one couple per night, with no notice from our tablemates that they wouldn't be there. The DR was at most 50% occupied (until they began bringing some ATD folks to empty tables) on the second night, and perhaps 30% occupied on the third night.

I'm happy to read your comments. I'm booked for one night on Ruby in September and I'm booked for 10 nights on Grand in February. It seems I got it right. :)

On Grand we rarely had to wait for a table for Anytime Dining. Ruby, there were very long lineups for dinner and lunches. All the venues felt busier and overall we both agreed Ruby never again.

My experience, and what I have read here -- anytime dining is a mess

on short cruises. No one signs up for traditional, and everyone shows

up at the same time for anytime.

On the last two short cruises I was on -- I did sign up for traditional on

one; and went to Crown Grill every night on the other.

Perhaps I have this all wrong, is cruising just about eating and where and when you get to do it? Yes, there are sometimes lines to wait in and yes, sometimes we don't always like the menu or Horizon Court but, make the best of it and enjoy the cruise. I do not mean to criticize anyone, I just find it interesting. I would much rather wait in line to eat on a cruise than stay home and go to McDonalds ( actually haven't eaten there in years). OK, I'm ready for the repercussions. bob

Perhaps I have this all wrong, is cruising just about eating and where and when you get to do it? Yes, there are sometimes lines to wait in and yes, sometimes we don't always like the menu or Horizon Court but, make the best of it and enjoy the cruise.

You are correct, don't over analyze. :eek::)

Some of these things I would have never known about if had not read it here on CC. 1 thing comes to mind!! Missing staircases!! Never realized it and still don't care and have sailed them all. Does not matter. :o To each his own. Take the comments with a grain of salt like a bad review. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

You are correct, don't over analyze. :eek::)

Some of these things I would have never known about if had not read it here on CC. 1 thing comes to mind!! Missing staircases!! Never realized it and still don't care and have sailed them all. Does not matter. :o To each his own. Take the comments with a grain of salt like a bad review. ;)

Agree 100%! Although having experienced first hand what can happen on the Grand I do understand why the staircase issue is a big deal to many.

When we sailed on the Grand over Christmas 2014, there were serious elevator problems. One of the elevators midship simply was out of order for most of the cruise. And another elevator was not opening in the right position (the car was 3 feet higher than the platform level). For the 15 day cruise, it was just something to navigate around. We would choose to take the forward and aft elevators or staircases and not even bother trying to ride the midship elevators.

However, disembarkation was another story. Those carrying suitcases out of their cabins were waiting for hours for a midship elevator. Passengers on the lower decks were taking the elevators up because it was the only way they could find an open car. Passengers on the upper decks would stop every car both up & down only to find out they were filled. All working cars were stopping on every floor, sometimes multiple times because people kept pushing the buttons too soon, and you can imagine what a fiasco it was. The elderly, disabled, and those with mobility devices were really at a disadvantage as the lobby areas outside the elevators on each midship deck were crammed with impatient passengers. It wasn't pretty.

So for many, the issues with the Grand and the midship elevators and lack of stairs are something to consider before choosing a ship.

For my money, I will be happy to book again on the Grand anytime. Despite it's flaws, I love the ship.

Agree 100%! Although having experienced first hand what can happen on the Grand I do understand why the staircase issue is a big deal to many.

When we sailed on the Grand over Christmas 2014, there were serious elevator problems. One of the elevators midship simply was out of order for most of the cruise. And another elevator was not opening in the right position (the car was 3 feet higher than the platform level). For the 15 day cruise, it was just something to navigate around. We would choose to take the forward and aft elevators or staircases and not even bother trying to ride the midship elevators.

You are right that can be a big headache when they are out of service.

However, disembarkation was another story. Those carrying suitcases out of their cabins were waiting for hours for a midship elevator. Passengers on the lower decks were taking the elevators up because it was the only way they could find an open car. Passengers on the upper decks would stop every car both up & down only to find out they were filled. All working cars were stopping on every floor, sometimes multiple times because people kept pushing the buttons too soon, and you can imagine what a fiasco it was. The elderly, disabled, and those with mobility devices were really at a disadvantage as the lobby areas outside the elevators on each midship deck were crammed with impatient passengers. It wasn't pretty.

I learned several years ago to head to the forward elevators for disembarkation much quieter!!

So for many, the issues with the Grand and the midship elevators and lack of stairs are something to consider before choosing a ship.

For my money, I will be happy to book again on the Grand anytime. Despite it's flaws, I love the ship.

See above

Edited by Colo Cruiser