Dynamic Dining is "Future of Cruising," Says Royal Caribbean CEO

LauraS

[quote name='bouhunter']Seriously? Have you read any threads here at all?......:rolleyes: Even though it's not me there are obviously MANY people who want to sit in the same place with the same servers every night. "NCCL is making a killing". What does that even mean?............[/quote]

BINGO I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING WHEN I READ THAT.I know my wife and i we love to sit in the same dining room every night.And have the same waiters every night. :)

[quote name='sandpebble1']Just read Royal Caribbean blog. They are taking out dynamic dining from all ships due to the negative reviews. Going back to traditional and anytime dining. I was on the Quantum this past December and I did not like the dining experience. Very happy with this news![/QUOTE]

Not exactly the case. [[B][COLOR="YellowGreen"]COLOR="Yellow"]A "new" option is being added:[/COLOR[/COLOR][/B]] Classic (traditional 1st and 2nd seating) with an assigned table and table mates.

MARAPRINCE Edited by Maraprince

[quote name='Biker19']That may be intentional on RCI's part. It could be that because of the less than stellar reception of "Dynamic Dining" RCI will rebrand the concept as Classic and Choice Dining, dropping the word Dynamic. In extreme cases they can even say that Dynamic Dining is gone, but in reality it's just a different name for a slightly tweaked verion of the original concept.[/QUOTE]

Indeed!

Considering that 'less than stellar' reception, it wouldn't be far fetched to rebrand the name across the fleet such that there is "Dining Classic" and "Dining Choice", and drop "Dynamic".

On the newer ships with the multiple restaurants (i.e. Quantum class) "Dining Classic" maps to the newly proposed rotational option, and "Dining Choice" the original "choose the restaurant and choose the time".

For older ships that are not practical to be made into DD ships, they map to "Traditional" and "MTD" respectively.

It would also help reduce the confusion as to what these choices mean.

There is a large number of passengers who enjoy and prefer dining at the same time/table/table mates. We have enjoyed this in the past very much. Now it has become a pain as cruise lines assign tables to people who are not going to utilize the fixed dining scheme for the full cruise and thus many nights tables are half filled creating a less than enjoyable experience than say 5 years ago. Also most fixed dining enthusiasts are typically older as they have sailed during the fixed dining heyday.

We, I have to admit, do go to Speciality dining venues in part because we want to try things/them and at times we have grown tired of MDR food quality/selection. At least that is our excuse.

It reminds me of how banks are now deleting live bank tellers, drive through banking, etc. Clearly these changes are NOT customer driven. They are bank driven which to me is not customer service or a way to promote customer loyalty.

Banks and Cruise lines know that only a small percentage of customers will complain and even smaller leave them. It it the 'scorched earth' strategy. They know roughly the percentage of customers and have decided to accept those loses if they do happen.

We are looking to change to a local bank still offering full teller service. And it is a pain, but without taking the steps to vote with our business, I don't see how I can complain.

[quote name='danv3']Disney (theme parks, not cruise line) works the same way. Focus on new customers who are willing to spend extra for a once in a lifetime vacation with no concept of how current quality and service levels compare to the past, while actively taking steps to alienate long time customers.[/quote]

And they're doing a fine job, they've just about ruined EPCOT and it's been my favorite park since I was a kid.

I really hope RCI doesn't feel the same way. But with all the posturing from Fain about cheap cruisers looking for price drops and DD being the "future" it's looking like that is indeed going to be their new mantra.

[quote name='shipshape sam']There is a large number of passengers who enjoy and prefer dining at the same time/table/table mates. We have enjoyed this in the past very much. Now it has become a pain as cruise lines assign tables to people who are not going to utilize the fixed dining scheme for the full cruise and thus many nights tables are half filled creating a less than enjoyable experience than say 5 years ago. Also most fixed dining enthusiasts are typically older as they have sailed during the fixed dining heyday.

We, I have to admit, do go to Speciality dining venues in part because we want to try things/them and at times we have grown tired of MDR food quality/selection. At least that is our excuse.

It reminds me of how banks are now deleting live bank tellers, drive through banking, etc. Clearly these changes are NOT customer driven. They are bank driven which to me is not customer service or a way to promote customer loyalty.

Banks and Cruise lines know that only a small percentage of customers will complain and even smaller leave them. It it the 'scorched earth' strategy. They know roughly the percentage of customers and have decided to accept those loses if they do happen.

We are looking to change to a local bank still offering full teller service. And it is a pain, but without taking the steps to vote with our business, I don't see how I can complain.[/QUOTE]

Less than 30% of reservations are choosing classic, seems like a waste to even cater to them, once they get to less than 20% classic will be gone, its the 80/20 rule. Edited by SaintL

[quote name='SaintL']Less than 30% of reservations are choosing classic, seems like a waste to even cater to them, once they get to less than 20% classic will be gone, its the 80/20 rule.[/QUOTE]

this is because hardly anyone knows about classic.
If you are unaware it exists, you can't book it.
I only found out because I kicked up such a stink with my very uninformative TA.
so I believe you to be wrong on this occasion.
on my up coming cruise on anthem, things are going wrong already and we haven't even got on it yet.

anyway ..... Thanks for your input x

[quote name='SaintL']Less than 30% of reservations are choosing classic, seems like a waste to even cater to them, once they get to less than 20% classic will be gone, its the 80/20 rule.[/QUOTE]I would never ever book fixed dining [B]BUT[/B] why do you seem so happy with this news ?
If some want to eat early or late therefore having 2 turns in the MDR's , that is a good thing
for those of us who wouldn't go this route. I don't understand why the exec's would want to
do away with traditional dining . It seems to be an efficient use of space.

[quote name='richstowe']I would never ever book fixed dining [B]BUT[/B] why do you seem so happy with this news ?
If some want to eat early or late therefore having 2 turns in the MDR's , that is a good thing
for those of us who wouldn't go this route. I don't understand why the exec's would want to
do away with traditional dining . It seems to be an efficient use of space.[/QUOTE]

very efficient ........ and stops people from wandering around aimlessly trying to find somewhere to eat.
I watched a video walk through from someone on the quantum and I think his biggest gripe was all the queueing up everywhere.
nowhere to sit in the wind jammer and taking your food to eat in another bar somewhere.
I just sounds like a freedom dining mess really.
but I'm hoping the classic dining works as that'll make me happy.
I need set dining times or I'm a bit of a nightmare.

I will have to try the DD one day when i finally get back to cruising with RCI. However... the thing that stuck out for me was..... Al la Carte? What the heck are they thinking! Good grief!

I guess I will stick to NCL for now, but you know they will find a way to screw it up in the future. :rolleyes: Seem all the cruise lines are trying to "freshen" the cruise industry. Some things are working, some are not I guess.

[quote name='SaintL']Less than 30% of reservations are choosing classic, seems like a waste to even cater to them, once they get to less than 20% classic will be gone, its the 80/20 rule.[/QUOTE]

Not sure of the percentages. I can only say that for our last cruise we were put on a 'wait' list for main/early dining. Now how can that be?!!!

It is because the cruise line is pushing/promoting the decision they have made to promote alternative dining options including Speciality restaurants for an additional charge and I believe eliminate over time fixed dining.

For sure many do not like fixed dining and we all have read/heard/experienced bad table mates and thus less than a great cruise. I fully understand cruise lines concern and agree they should try to provide alternative dining for those who do not want to socialize with others over the course of a cruise / who want to dine privately / who do not want to dress up for dinner / (fill in the reason).

We will go with the flow, but we also no longer bring formal attire, no longer get many pictures. I firmly believe that some of the changes will hurt cruising in the long term. I personally do not want a land type vacation on a ship. I sailed again after first cruise because it was different.

Each to their own and I also believe that the passengers the cruise lines are now courting will be less loyal in general. Edited by shipshape sam

[quote name='richstowe']I would never ever book fixed dining [B]BUT[/B] why do you seem so happy with this news ?
do away with traditional dining . It seems to be an efficient use of space.[/QUOTE]

It's not clear that Traditional is any more efficient that Dynamic. True, traditional does offer some control over the time diners arrive. That is efficient. But, traditional is also a two hour plus affair (almost said ordeal). That is inefficient.

RCI has done studies on how to attract passengers new to cruising. RCI found that this new demographic is not attracted to traditional dining. They do not want to spend two hours having dinner. They do not wish to eat with strangers. They have no interest in forming a relationship with their waiters. Nor do they like formal nights. I know this is anathema to the traditional cruisers. It is, however, the future of cruising.

There were a lot of complaints about queuing on Quantum but it's not clear that the queues were caused by the concept or a poor implementation. There are many reports that the new software for taking orders which was supposed to increase efficiency and allow for reductions in wait staff did not work well causing ordering errors and delays in dining. Obviously, the software supporting dining and entertainment reservation is also not working well. But, these things can be fixed and it does appear that things are working better now.

[quote name='SaintL']Couldn't agree more, send those loyal customers that probably don't spend a dime at the alternative restaurants and only care about having some sort of diamond status that gives them nothing really.

NCL is making a killing, royal is basically going freestyle dining and good for them, carnival is adding more restaurants too and I'm sure going the same route.

No one wants to sit in the same restaurant every night, I can care less if the waiter knows me, I want to eat different foods in different places.

Glad to see the old days of cruising going away, this crowd can go to Holland I think that's the only ones left[/QUOTE]

Of course you are welcome to post your opinion, but saying that "No one wants to..." is a statement, and an untrue one at that.

There are plenty of people who like Classic Dining and who still book Early and Late Dining in the Main Dining Room. (There are plenty of threads here on CC to support this statement.) I for one am one of those people...and I am far from Diamond Status or retirement age; not that either of those matter.

If you prefer freestyle dining, great! I personally prefer traditional style, which is great for me! I like having the same time, tablemates, and waiters...and find that there is a great variety to the menu...and have never had the same meal twice on a cruise.

I think Specialty Restaurants are great for those who choose to dine there and are willing to pay the additional fee to do so. Who doesn't like to treat themselves every now and then? But, I don't think that you or anyone else should put down those who choose not to do so. That is their "choice", and one that they are obviously happy with.

Now, like another poster here mentioned, my upcoming cruise also did not offer Traditional Dining and only offered MTD; and I booked well over a year in advance. This is the first and only time that I have come across this problem. The only thing that my TA could do was place me on a Wait List for Early Dining. I agree with that poster that RC seems to be trying to force MTD or DD on everyone. :(

Maybe the reason you are seeing a 30% of reservations choosing Classis, is because RC is not letting many Traditional dinners CHOOSE Classic...and is MAKING them book their cruises as MTD! Several people have stated that they were unable to book Traditional Dining and had to be placed on a Wait List for Early or Late Dining.

Hey, maybe that is the whole reason behind it! Maybe they need those low numbers to back up their impending decision to do away with Classic Traditional Dining. :rolleyes: If that were to be the case...how SAD is that?! :eek:

[quote name='shipshape sam']Not sure of the percentages. I can only say that for our last cruise we were put on a 'wait' list for main/early dining. Now how can that be?!!!

It is because the cruise line is pushing/promoting the decision they have made to promote alternative dining options including Speciality restaurants for an additional charge and I believe eliminate over time fixed dining.

For sure many do not like fixed dining and we all have read/heard/experienced bad table mates and thus less than a great cruise. I fully understand cruise lines concern and agree they should try to provide alternative dining for those who do not want to socialize with others over the course of a cruise / who want to dine privately / who do not want to dress up for dinner / (fill in the reason).

We will go with the flow, but we also no longer bring formal attire, no longer get many pictures. I firmly believe that some of the changes will hurt cruising in the long term. I personally do not want a land type vacation on a ship. I sailed again after first cruise because it was different.

Each to their own and I also believe that the passengers the cruise lines are now courting will be less loyal in general.[/QUOTE]

My son, who is 22 and just finished an aerospace engineering degree, has been cruising since he was a baby. He has always thought he would cruise all of his life. Now, he said the exact same thing you did. If he wanted to stay at a resort for vacation, there are better ones on land. He loved the feel of cruising. Mints on his pillow, towel animals, formal nights, horse races, dressing for theme nights in the dining room. He said, "Mom, my kids will never see a spectacular midnight buffet". We have 2 more cruises booked, but the next big family vacation after that, we are trying Gatlinburg. I guess he is not the customer RCI is looking for in the future.

I think everyone here is forgetting about the math on Quantum class ships - RCI couldn't do much more than 20-30% classic even if they wanted to - the seating capacity of the venues won't support it (about 1800 seats for a ship that can carry up to about 4600). They need to have about 2.5-3 sittings per night to fit everyone in (depending on # of guests on board). So it's not guests choosing the low percentage or RCI limiting for some nefarious reason - that's all that will fit.

The story is a bit different on Oasis class, where if needed, they might be able to get away with doing all Classic. Edited by Biker19

[quote name='Dinkachu']My son, who is 22 and just finished an aerospace engineering degree, has been cruising since he was a baby. He has always thought he would cruise all of his life. Now, he said the exact same thing you did. If he wanted to stay at a resort for vacation, there are better ones on land. He loved the feel of cruising. Mints on his pillow, towel animals, formal nights, horse races, dressing for theme nights in the dining room. He said, "Mom, my kids will never see a spectacular midnight buffet". We have 2 more cruises booked, but the next big family vacation after that, we are trying Gatlinburg. I guess he is not the customer RCI is looking for in the future.[/quote]

Like you heading said: [B]Land Vacation at Sea...[/B]
I think what everyone might be missing is DD is very possibly the future of cruising because they keep building large ships that are limited as to where they can go so they, the ships, are being marketed as the destination. On that note you are watching cruise vacations take on land based vacation similarities more and more until the distinctions become less and less recognizable and now its just that your resort is floating.

Like it or not, the floating resorts are here to stay and will go on, changes and all and thrive for a very long time one would think.

[quote name='Maraprince']Royal "loves" the first time/new cruisers! Why? They have nothing to compare it with.:([/QUOTE]

They love them because they spend money onboard. Lots and lots of it.

[quote name='tripster']Maybe the reason you are seeing a 30% of reservations choosing Classis, is because RC is not letting many Traditional dinners CHOOSE Classic...and is MAKING them book their cruises as MTD! Several people have stated that they were unable to book Traditional Dining and had to be placed on a Wait List for Early or Late Dining.

Hey, maybe that is the whole reason behind it! Maybe they need those low numbers to back up their impending decision to do away with Classic Traditional Dining. :rolleyes: If that were to be the case...how SAD is that?! :eek:[/QUOTE]

Recently we couldn't book traditional late dining online on several cruises, but when I called C&A to ask why not, the reps said there was plenty of space and got it done for us. So I think that your first theory is correct. Not sure about the second one, but it wouldn't surprise me.:eek:

My issue with DD is that I don't want to have to spend time making reservations pre-cruise. We've never had a problem being seated in MTD without a reservation or getting a reservation on the day we go (although we usually dine late, which is wide open on most sailings, Europe being a notable exception).

What I've read of DD is that one must make reservations in advance of the sailing (and hope that they don't get deleted) or plan to spend time onboard figuring out options. Neither sounds like a good plan to me. It wouldn't stop me from sailing on a ship with DD because large dining rooms have generally lost their appeal. But I can see how others would be mightily bothered by it.

[quote name='Dinkachu']My son, who is 22 and just finished an aerospace engineering degree, has been cruising since he was a baby. He has always thought he would cruise all of his life. Now, he said the exact same thing you did. If he wanted to stay at a resort for vacation, there are better ones on land. He loved the feel of cruising. Mints on his pillow, towel animals, formal nights, horse races, dressing for theme nights in the dining room. He said, "Mom, my kids will never see a spectacular midnight buffet". We have 2 more cruises booked, but the next big family vacation after that, we are trying Gatlinburg. I guess he is not the customer RCI is looking for in the future.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with your son. There was so much to love and enjoy on the "old fashion" cruises! They were definitely special.

I think that the changes being made may be good for the larger ships where there is everything and anything onboard (a floating destination in itself), but I think that Royal Caribbean should leave the smaller/older ships (Radiance, Vision, and Sovereign Class) with the original/traditional cruise experience (including Traditional Dining).

Why can't Royal Caribbean offer the best of both worlds?!
(Newer, Bigger Ships ~ New/Updated Offerings; Smaller, Older Ships ~ Original/Classic Offerings)

[quote name='tripster']
Why can't Royal Caribbean offer the best of both worlds?!
(Newer, Bigger Ships ~ New/Updated Offerings; Smaller, Older Ships ~ Original/Classic Offerings)[/quote]

I have not investigated this but is this not already in place? I don't think ships in the Vision class per say have enough dining options on them to even attempt a DD option??