Selfie Sticks?

I KNOW. Really, a selfie stick?

But are these allowed on cruises these days, particularly Royal Caribbean? DH and I are going on our first, a 10th anniversary, in June. My BFF has a selfie stick I can borrow, just wondering if it's allowed! :D

Can't see any reason why not, I carry a tri-pod and/or a mono pod so why not a selfie stick.

My big question is WHY?:D:D:D:D

Can't see any reason why not, I carry a tri-pod and/or a mono pod so why not a selfie stick.

My big question is WHY?:D:D:D:D

Well selfies, obviously :D

It's just us going, no group, and we don't want to bug people to take our photos all the time.

I make fun of my friend for having one, but I can see a use for it.

BUT I don't want to be obnoxious (see above) and probably would be embarrassed to use it. ("They're totally judging us...")

Well selfies, obviously :D

It's just us going, no group, and we don't want to bug people to take our photos all the time.

I make fun of my friend for having one, but I can see a use for it.

BUT I don't want to be obnoxious (see above) and probably would be embarrassed to use it. ("They're totally judging us...")

I can all but guarantee you, you won't be the only one using one. So no need to be embarrassed.

I KNOW. Really, a selfie stick?

But are these allowed on cruises these days, particularly Royal Caribbean? DH and I are going on our first, a 10th anniversary, in June. My BFF has a selfie stick I can borrow, just wondering if it's allowed! :D

But please, please double check if selfie sticks are part of the suggested Formal dress code on Formal nights. Hate to have the Fashion Police on your case too.;):D

OK now that we agree that selfie sticks are OK on a cruise ship what will be the edict rules for the sticks?

Let's start.......

It's OK to selfie your diner in the MDR.

It's not OK to selfie the dinner on the table 10 feet away.

It's OK to selfie you and your significant other on your balcony.

It's not OK to selfie your neighbour and his/her guest in their balcony cabin.

Any other rules? :D

OK now that we agree that selfie sticks are OK on a cruise ship what will be the edict rules for the sticks?

Let's start.......

It's OK to selfie your diner in the MDR.

It's not OK to selfie the dinner on the table 10 feet away.

It's OK to selfie you and your significant other on your balcony.

It's not OK to selfie your neighbour and his/her guest in their balcony cabin.

Any other rules? :D

No selfie rules have been established onboard yet :D

Just back from Shanghai and this was the hot item being sold by the hawker's along Nanjing Rd. !!!!!

I have yet to not find a friendly person that won't take a picture for me. Not sure why there was a need for any such invention.

Perhaps selfie sticks are an invention for people who simply don't like to or can't to talk to other people, yet want a picture to post on facebook/instagram.. go figure :D

I have yet to not find a friendly person that won't take a picture for me. Not sure why there was a need for any such invention.

Perhaps selfie sticks are an invention for people who simply don't like to or can't to talk to other people, yet want a picture to post on facebook/instagram.. go figure :D

I pretty much always offer.

I've had my new smart phone for about 5 months now. Where's the frig'n camera button? I know it can zoom, pan, video, remove my MIL, (BEST FEATURE EVER!!) but where is the frig'n shutter button?????:mad:

Last time some kid asked me to take a snap with his smartphone I ended up sending a lovely couple's photo to his wife back home a 1,000 miles away. Opps.:p

A Co worker thought the same until someone offered to take a pic of her and her DH for her got them all posed and ran off with her iPhone.

She now has a selfie stick

Edited by Lulubelle45

It may be allowed on cruise ships (for now), but there are a lot of attractions that are banning them, so depending on where you're going you might want to do a bit of checking.

Personally, I don't get the whole "selfie" thing, I know where I've been, I don't need some crappy picture of myself to prove it ;)

To each their own, though.

Personally, I don't get the whole "selfie" thing, I know where I've been, I don't need some crappy picture of myself to prove it ;)

That's so funny. I showed my MIL some pictures of our last cruise, and she asked why I didn't have any of myself. I said, "Why would I take pictures of me? I know what I look like!"

It may be allowed on cruise ships (for now), but there are a lot of attractions that are banning them, so depending on where you're going you might want to do a bit of checking.

That's so funny. I showed my MIL some pictures of our last cruise, and she asked why I didn't have any of myself. I said, "Why would I take pictures of me? I know what I look like!"

To share with the world you've been there, otherwise you can grab a similar picture from flickr that will likely have better lighting than the one you got :D

Edited by chipmaster

A Co worker thought the same until someone offered to take a pic of her and her DH for her got them all posed and ran off with her iPhone.

Hmm, can't wait to here their story about when they were in Barcelona :o

I have never feared handing over my D4 or my D810 to a fellow. The difference, I pick the person and ASK that person, I don't accept an invitation. Never been turned down, generally you find someone with a DSLR walking around, highly unlikely they will run off with yours and their camera.

Your co-workers mistake was to accept. Kind of like what you teach your kids, don't accept a ride from stranger ;)

She should traveled with a Blackberry. No one in their right mind would ever steal one of those.;)

Not four days ago we were standing at Bryce Canyon, Utah (far more impressive than Grand Canyon, in my personal opinion - stunning!!) and a couple was taking selfies with their new selfie stick. We overheard him tell someone, "Best twenty bucks I ever spent in my life!". I guess that intrigued my DH because before we left for home, we stopped and bought one. Fooling around with it in the hotel room, we can see that man was right. Incredible photos await you! We look forward to using it on our upcoming cruises.

Take it and enjoy it. :)

Not four days ago we were standing at Bryce Canyon, Utah (far more impressive than Grand Canyon, in my personal opinion - stunning!!) and a couple was taking selfies with their new selfie stick. We overheard him tell someone, "Best twenty bucks I ever spent in my life!". I guess that intrigued my DH because before we left for home, we stopped and bought one. Fooling around with it in the hotel room, we can see that man was right. Incredible photos await you! We look forward to using it on our upcoming cruises.

Take it and enjoy it. :)

When I'm taking photos of the Grand Canyon (maybe this year :)) I certainly don't want the photo ruined by having my face on it! :D