speculation on change to the vifp program past guest party

Just showing your card wont work! you can "borrow" from someone you know who is Platinum and has been on that particular ship before etc. If you just show your card believe they are not going to look at the name of the ship and the sailing date!!!

I have said it before, (recently) and will say it again. I expect that they will be limiting the past guest party to platinum and diamond. My last one on Freedom was so crowded, seemed not one empty seat, that I thought then; how long will it be, before it gets zapped for golds. Oh well. That is my prediction, if it becomes reality, I will miss it, but will find something else to do/eat/drink for that hour :)

I agree with your scenario. Only platinum and diamond party and one drink voucher per diamond and platinum. We use to look forward to the parties with the free drinks and snacks, but on our last Carnival cruise only the free drink voucher was handed out.

I'm wondering when Carnival will have 1 cabin steward visit per day instead of 2 times a day. Hotels only make up your room once a day and I could see Carnival and other lines follow suit. It would cut down on laundry as you would have to reuse towels until the next day when they would be refreshed in your room. It would also cut down on the number of employees they would have to pay. In the evenings, cabin stewards could become helpers in other areas of the ship. I could see this happening and keep it profitable and low cost for Carnival and passengers.

That's the title of this thread!, so you knew what was inside...

Yet, it still amazes me that people get worked up over not actually knowing anything...

Spread speculation..... start a frenzy...

Personally, I think every gold, platinum and diamond member should have some sort of a party to attend BUT... that's it... no bring a guest ...

Show your card at the door, if its not a gold, platinum or diamond card, sorry, goodbye.. Mean maybe if you're cruising with someone who isn't in that category... but.. it would certainly cut down on the # of passengers that truly do not belong there and make it less crowded

Would it suprise me if they just took gold passengers out of the past guest party? Heck no, they already took things away from them and Platinum passengers in the past, what's to stop them from doing the same thing again?

Only 5 more days until the "Big" announcement... unless, of course, as usual, the announcement is that the announcement has once again been extended !!!! :( :( :(

i thought the announcement was at the end of THIS week??

Luck had nothing to do with it. I worked hard and made smart financial decisions such as waiting until I graduated college to get married and then waiting until I had my Masters degree, started my career, and bought our house before having kids. My parents didn't put me through college, I did through my scholarships, grants, and hard work. I only had $4000 in student loans when I graduated with no monetary support from my parents. It was a decision I made to advance myself and I didn't rely on others to do it for me. I was valedictorian in high school so I could get the scholarships and grants to go to college. I worked hard for that distinction. It was my choices and hard work that got me to where I can take my family on multiple vacations during the year, not luck.

I am now putting both my kids through college. But they are not entitled either. They worked hard and get great grades. They both received scholarships to the universities of their choice. They both excelled in their sports and work jobs not because we wanted them to, but because they wanted to earn their own money. I pay for their college tuition because I make too much for them to get the scholarships and grants, that helped me to succeed, and yet they earned it through their grades just as I did. The scholarships they did receive they are expected to maintain the grades to keep. That is their responsibility. They go to a great local University and live at home to save money. Their choice and in my opinion a responsible one. My hope has always been to provide an example to them of great work ethics and personal responsibility. I believe I have succeeded. Vacations are our reward for that hard work not our entitlement.

Making a statement such as the one above is insulting to me and many other CC members who have worked hard for what we have earned. I have some family members who had the same opportunities I did. They chose the easy way out and now they expect the government and other family members to support them and their family. That, my friend, is called entitlement.

Very well said! And great job on setting such fine examples for your children:)

I'm not sure why everyone feels so fricking ENTITLED to jump all over me for defending the rights of GOLD people to have one perk. It's the only perk given to Gold people and water STILL doesn't count.

I wasn't trying to jump on you. I am just turning gold and I am entitled to the perks if they keep them. My point was I am definitely entitlement minded as I expect things I earned.

Guess I misread you lol.

I'm not sure why everyone feels so fricking ENTITLED to jump all over me for defending the rights of GOLD people to have one perk. It's the only perk given to Gold people and water STILL doesn't count.

I don't think people are jumping all over you. Maybe I'm just misreading everyone, though.

I saw one (maybe two) posts where someone said kick the gold out of the past guest party and reduce their perks. Most other people--including platinum--say that gold should keep their party either with everyone (I wonder if some of them like impressing the gold with their status, though) or to separate the colors.

I think most people who are defending the right for the party and that they've earned it are most likely the golds. They don't want to lose what is really the only perk that gold have and feel like they've earned it.

And I think the class warfare thing that has come up is because of the idea of maybe separating the colors. I support this, only because that way the parties are smaller. The past guest party is really the only time I'll drink on board, so I'd like to make sure I get 2-4 drinks during this time. Yes, maybe I'm cheap, but I don't like spending so much on drinks. If the parties are smaller, you'll get more out of them, IMO, than if they are packed to capacity. If you're gold and like hearing so many stories from platinums on the number of ships they've been on, or you're platinum and like impressing the golds by being on four times as many ships as they have, then separate parties wouldn't be a good thing for you.

I will weigh in.

I think the number of people at the past guest party really depends on the ship and the itinerary. On a five day Triumph cruise from Galveston the party was in the main show lounge and it was packed. They were checking S&S cards and invitations at the door. Plenty of drinks for everyone. On the Conquest repositioning cruise from San Juan the party was in one of the aft lounges and there were empty seats. No one was checking cards or invitations. In both cases the party was about 50 minutes long.

To me the VIFP program is like a a bad pension system. Too many retirees and not enough employees paying into the system. As Carnival ages, the number of Gold and Platinum cruisers increases and so the cost of the party goes up, but the percentage of non-Gold/Platinum cruisers is decreasing.

I don't want to see the Gold VIFP folks excluded from the party, but something has to give. Either the party has to get smaller or the base cruise fare has to go up.

I'm surprised they don't check your sail and sign card. Maybe- it's down the road. These parties cost big money every cruise, with more and more people qualifying every cruise.

Would be the smart thing to do, if they want to "cut back".

They already send out individualized invitations and yet somehow Reds and Blues make it into the party. Nothing can be done if they don't follow their own rules and procedures on board.

I am now putting both my kids through college.

I saved $20,000 for each of my kids while they were growing up. I told each of them they could follow in my footsteps and join the military (and keep the $20k) or use the $20,000 for college and the rest was on them. Both joined the military. :D

Edited by Out to sea!

To keep uninvited guests from crashing the party, ditch the S&S Cards and switch to the wristbands. Works for Disney. Just scan everybody as they enter the party and the system will let you know if they were invited.

How would wristbands work? Would they also act as your cabin door key, and get scanned when you want to make a purchase?

I guess that would work, but I could see guests dressed in a lovely gown for elegant night not wanting a plastic wristband ruining the look.

I will weigh in. Either the party has to get smaller or the base cruise fare has to go up.

Seriously? That really is baseless fodder. Do you mean split the party up into different events?

I'm purple for whatever that's worth.

If the size of the parties are too large to handle comfortably, then have more than one party based upon the different levels. Combine the higher levels into one party and have another party on a different night for the other levels.

MARAPRINCE

Gee i hope size of party is not the "fun" changes... I go for fun things like being able to buy tickets for free cruise raffle... Maybe some contests? ... Door prizes? Free drawing for chef table ...dancing with the captain and the crew? What else would be fun?

Gee i hope size of party is not the "fun" changes... I go for fun things like being able to buy tickets for free cruise raffle... Maybe some contests? ... Door prizes? Free drawing for chef table ...dancing with the captain and the crew? What else would be fun?

:) Great ideas. You should post these on JH blog.