speculation on change to the vifp program past guest party

I feel bad for those people. My DH and I work regular jobs, and take 2-3 week long vacations a year, and may throw in a short cruise or camping trip another 2-3 times a year. It is always wise to be careful of using the word "most".

Many with like habits. Have had family ask if we work to travel lol.

I do think larger number of once a year cruisers, mNy limited by vacation time awarded

Wow, the entitlement here is astounding! Aren't you all so lucky that you get more than 1 week of vacation time and have all that disposable income to spend on vacations.

Its not disposable income its called working your ass off , making smart investments and traveling at times of the year where the rates are low. I have been busting my ass since i was 14 and now over the last few years I am living the vacation dream.

I've been Diamond plus for the past few cruises, and if you snuck in, that is not usually allowed in the D+ lounge. The experiences I had, was D+ only, no guests.

Was never questioned, and even called by name after my SIL introduced me the first day. Your experience is probably right on though......

We have been thinking for a while that they would stop letting gold cards come to the party. So we are with you on this prediction.

Problem is, how are they going to stop the Gold cards if they can't stop the Red or Blue cards from coming currently? Some people seem to think their one invitation allows them to bring half the ship to the party. :(

Edited by Out to sea!

Problem is, how are they going to stop the Gold cards if they can't stop the Red or Blue cards from coming currently? Some people seem to think their one invitation allows them to bring half the ship to the party. :(

I'm surprised they don't check your sail and sign card. Maybe- it's down the road. These parties cost big money every cruise, with more and more people qualifying every cruise.

Would be the smart thing to do, if they want to "cut back".

Personally, I think every gold, platinum and diamond member should have some sort of a party to attend BUT... that's it... no bring a guest ...

Show your card at the door, if its not a gold, platinum or diamond card, sorry, goodbye.. Mean maybe if you're cruising with someone who isn't in that category... but.. it would certainly cut down on the # of passengers that truly do not belong there and make it less crowded

Would it suprise me if they just took gold passengers out of the past guest party? Heck no, they already took things away from them and Platinum passengers in the past, what's to stop them from doing the same thing again?

Only 5 more days until the "Big" announcement... unless, of course, as usual, the announcement is that the announcement has once again been extended !!!! :( :( :(

Wow, the entitlement here is astounding! Aren't you all so lucky that you get more than 1 week of vacation time and have all that disposable income to spend on vacations.

When one works hard to have the things they have, luck has little to do with it. Disposable income means one lived below their means and invested and spent their money wisely. If you work hard, and there are things that are out there as a reward for doing so, then yes you are entitled to them.

I get 4 weeks vacation year, I am entitled to them because I busted my behind and earned them. I have disposable income because I dont blow my money on waste and am able to retrain myself form unwise spending. I am entitled to MY disposable income and MY vacation because I earned them.

Its not like any here are wanting something for nothing. If something is offered as a reward, and folks do the work in order to get the reward, they are absolutely entitled to it. Why would you have a problem with folks feeling they are entitled to what they properly earned?

That said, I would be a little bummed if they got rid of it for my next cruise. While I didn't book exclusively for the gold perk, it was a little bit of motivation to choose this cruise over others. I like being rewarded for action. I am looking forward to the gold party even though I have no desire to greedy octopus arm grab every drink that comes by. Heck I would be good with 2 free drink coupons and they open a venue for past guests where they can be used. No one can abuse the free drinks by sneaking friends in and everyone grabbing 6 drinks if you only give the coupons to the actual folks who earned them and check their cards.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

Luck had nothing to do with it. I worked hard and made smart financial decisions such as waiting until I graduated college to get married and then waiting until I had my Masters degree, started my career, and bought our house before having kids. My parents didn't put me through college, I did through my scholarships, grants, and hard work. I only had $4000 in student loans when I graduated with no monetary support from my parents. It was a decision I made to advance myself and I didn't rely on others to do it for me. I was valedictorian in high school so I could get the scholarships and grants to go to college. I worked hard for that distinction. It was my choices and hard work that got me to where I can take my family on multiple vacations during the year, not luck.

I am now putting both my kids through college. But they are not entitled either. They worked hard and get great grades. They both received scholarships to the universities of their choice. They both excelled in their sports and work jobs not because we wanted them to, but because they wanted to earn their own money. I pay for their college tuition because I make too much for them to get the scholarships and grants, that helped me to succeed, and yet they earned it through their grades just as I did. The scholarships they did receive they are expected to maintain the grades to keep. That is their responsibility. They go to a great local University and live at home to save money. Their choice and in my opinion a responsible one. My hope has always been to provide an example to them of great work ethics and personal responsibility. I believe I have succeeded. Vacations are our reward for that hard work not our entitlement.

Making a statement such as the one above is insulting to me and many other CC members who have worked hard for what we have earned. I have some family members who had the same opportunities I did. They chose the easy way out and now they expect the government and other family members to support them and their family. That, my friend, is called entitlement.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Luck had nothing to do with it. I worked hard and made smart financial decisions such as waiting until I graduated college to get married and then waiting until I had my Masters degree, started my career, and bought our house before having kids. My parents didn't put me through college, I did through my scholarships, grants, and hard work. I only had $4000 in student loans when I graduated with no monetary support from my parents. It was a decision I made to advance myself and I didn't rely on others to do it for me. I was valedictorian in high school so I could get the scholarships and grants to go to college. I worked hard for that distinction. It was my choices and hard work that got me to where I can take my family on multiple vacations during the year, not luck.

I am now putting both my kids through college. But they are not entitled either. They worked hard and get great grades. They both received scholarships to the universities of their choice. They both excelled in their sports and work jobs not because we wanted them to, but because they wanted to earn their own money. I pay for their college tuition because I make too much for them to get the scholarships and grants, that helped me to succeed, and yet they earned it through their grades just as I did. The scholarships they did receive they are expected to maintain the grades to keep. That is their responsibility. They go to a great local University and live at home to save money. Their choice and in my opinion a responsible one. My hope has always been to provide an example to them of great work ethics and personal responsibility. I believe I have succeeded. Vacations are our reward for that hard work not our entitlement.

Making a statement such as the one above is insulting to me and many other CC members who have worked hard for what we have earned. I have some family members who had the same opportunities I did. They chose the easy way out and now they expect the government and other family members to support them and their family. That, my friend, is called entitlement.

Right on

Getting a weekend job or a part time job could enable people to afford to cruise more often if they have the vacation time. It is not entitlement, it is the result of hard work. People should be more open to giving hard work a try and enjoy the benefits.:cool:

Allowing Gold, Platinum or Diamond members into the Past Guest Party with only one guest may help reduce the overcrowding. Letting in unlimited guests should not be allowed.

I have never seen the room full, in fact our last Breeze cruise there were about 40 servers and maybe 250 people.

On one of our Conquest cruises this past January, the lower level of the showroom was packed & some people were in the 2nd level.

To keep uninvited guests from crashing the party, ditch the S&S Cards and switch to the wristbands. Works for Disney. Just scan everybody as they enter the party and the system will let you know if they were invited.

I too busted my hump for years to get where I am today. Spent 2 nights a week going to night school for a degree, delivering the USA Today paper in the morning, while being a wife and mother. Divorced a few years later raising 2 teenage kids who always had Christmas presents, new clothes for school and a summer vacation. Years later bought a seasonal trailer to spend my weekends camping and then sold that and paid off my house. Today I am debt free because I made all those choices to cut coupons, shop at thrift stores, invest wisely and not spend over my means.

Did I earn the status where am I today? You betcha!! But I don't go around and rub it in people's faces that I'm living a comfortable existence.

To keep uninvited guests from crashing the party, ditch the S&S Cards and switch to the wristbands. Works for Disney. Just scan everybody as they enter the party and the system will let you know if they were invited.

Arent the S&S cards color coded? They can just scan them. They should move up to the handheld scanners like they use on their other lines like Princess.

Arent the S&S cards color coded? They can just scan them. They should move up to the handheld scanners like they use on their other lines like Princess.

You would think it would be relatively easy for them just to ask to see your sign and sail card as you are going in. You shouldn't even need the invitation since the color of your card designates if you received one or not. It just seems like a simple thing to keep Red or Blue cards out that I don't get why so many get in :confused:.

On one of our Conquest cruises this past January, the lower level of the showroom was packed & some people were in the 2nd level.

That has been our experience as well. Until, our last three cruises this year. I think as someone else mentioned that on some ships (maybe tied to how many return guests there ...or size of the ship?) they have begun splitting the party in two..... I really don't know the reason.

My point in mentioning it was that at the time(s) I thought, wow, not many coming to the return guest party any more.

Please no:(, if there is one thing I hate it is those Disney (and now RCCL) wrist bands. I don't want big brother watching and knowing where I am at all times, other than on the ship.

Please no:(, if there is one thing I hate it is those Disney (and now RCCL) wrist bands. I don't want big brother watching and knowing where I am at all times, other than on the ship.

Doesn't bother me! Google already knows where I'm at anyways.:D My daughter went to Disney World last month and she liked the wrist bands. I could go either way on the wrist bands.

I'm not sure why everyone feels so fricking ENTITLED to jump all over me for defending the rights of GOLD people to have one perk. It's the only perk given to Gold people and water STILL doesn't count.

I work hard too. I am have custody of my 2 nephews because my sister is a drug addict. Boo hoo we all have hard lives and hard luck stories. Get over yourselves thinking you are the only one's to work hard or earn a vacation. I also have 4 weeks vacation a year because I have stayed with the same company and been LOYAL and have been rewarded.

You want the Gold people gone from your privileged platinum/diamond party so that you can feel more superior to people who haven't had either the opportunity, time or money to cruise as much as you. What is to keep people coming back to Carnival if it's not some perk that people find enticing. If I am spending thousands of dollars a year to take my family on vacation I do expect something. Heck I can go to Kohl's and spend $50 and get a $10 coupon. That's keeping people coming back time and again. Carnival would be stupid to remove all perks for anyone less than platinum.

Then the ATD/YTD guests were out of luck?

I believe the ATD folks (like us) could choose either one, IIRC. We went, it was OK. It wasn't too crazy, not a whole lot of people there and I forget what it was I was drinking but it was really good. I LOVED the bacon cheesecake (DH went "Bacon...and cheesecake? Together? Eeeew." LOL :D ) and all the other appetizers we got.

By the time we got to dinner, I was pleasantly buzzed. :)

I'm not sure why everyone feels so fricking ENTITLED to jump all over me for defending the rights of GOLD people to have one perk. It's the only perk given to Gold people and water STILL doesn't count.

I work hard too. I am have custody of my 2 nephews because my sister is a drug addict. Boo hoo we all have hard lives and hard luck stories. Get over yourselves thinking you are the only one's to work hard or earn a vacation. I also have 4 weeks vacation a year because I have stayed with the same company and been LOYAL and have been rewarded.

You want the Gold people gone from your privileged platinum/diamond party so that you can feel more superior to people who haven't had either the opportunity, time or money to cruise as much as you. What is to keep people coming back to Carnival if it's not some perk that people find enticing. If I am spending thousands of dollars a year to take my family on vacation I do expect something. Heck I can go to Kohl's and spend $50 and get a $10 coupon. That's keeping people coming back time and again. Carnival would be stupid to remove all perks for anyone less than platinum.

I beleive some of them were pulling your leg.....

indeed, usually one or two in every family...the ones saying "...you're going on vacation again? must be nice...":rolleyes:

only because my youngest spawn is graduating from university next weekend;) and I will soon have a new payment each month once 'my' loan comes due until I hopefully pay it off early:rolleyes:...

family income has nothing to do with special (i.e. athletic) or the majority of merit (academic) scholarships at most large universities, they are earned by talent, grades or luck.:D Need based scholarships are a whole other story to help many get a leg up in the world.

I scratch my head over the 'class wars' on all the cruise line. Everybody is a passenger on the same ship. Loyalty programs exist to try to churn return spending. If business is good, the cruise lines' bean counters likely feel a cocktail party is a place they can cut back to save some $$$.

The upper echelons of card holders still get priority boarding, yet many feel devalued by CCL selling FTTF to a small majority of guests. More head scratching, don't understand that line of thought as their early boarding perk could potentially disappear. Enjoy it while you can but don't be spiteful to the guests who buy the FTTF excursion, direct your attention & comments to CCL if you need to vent.

A perk is bonus, not a right, and subject to change at any time. Not saying you have to like it, but a fact is a fact. The program can be changed at any time.

Most of us want to be treated as valued customers, however, I cannot imagine deciding to book a particular cruise based upon the promise of a few drinks at a past guest party. :confused:

Edited by keishashadow