Help please !!!

We need advice ASAP! We are are planning to cruise over the 2015 Christmas holiday. Our choices are the CCL Sunshine (an 8 night southern itiniary), NCL Getaway, RCI FOS, RCI Oasis all three with a western itiniary. My husband doesn't favor the western itiniary. And the difference in price from the Oasis to the Allure to do the eastern during the week of Christmas is substantial.

As is DCL which would cost over $14,000 and that is just too much.

We enjoy Carnival and have cruised the Breeze several time and if the Christmas cruise was onboard the Breeze we wouldn't hesitate to book it. And I can't even find a comparison chart to show the size difference between the Sunshine and another Carnival ship that we are familiar with. But I know nothing about the Sunshine and the reviews are not great. The only reason it's still in the running it's the itiniary.

On this sailing will be myself, my husband and our three sons who will be 17, 14 and 5 (late in life gift) and possibly my mother in law. We need activities for all three boys and my husband who honestly doesn't like to be cooped up on a ship.

We plan on getting two cabins and depending on the cruise we will have 2 balconies or a balcony and a interior cabin.

We have sailed a lot on all cruise lines but we have never sailed on NCL. Our TA is pushing the Getaway and we know a family that cruised the Getway last year and loved it. We we have never sailed on the Oasis and I have been eager to try it. We have sailed the FOS and IOS and love both ships.

Activities like sports courts, a sports bar and a nice pool area for our little one is important. We really don't need the kids clubs for our youngest though our eldest enjoyed the teen club on the IOS.

So we need a ship that caters to all ages.

A ship that has many on board activities and a cruise line that has the Christmas spirit on board.

Desperate for advice.

Thank you in advance for any and all input and advice.

TA

I haven't sailed on CCL, but I have been reading reviews - and as you said, the Sunshine has been getting less than stellar comments lately. But I take others comments with a grain of salt most times.

I've been on Liberty (sister to Freedom) and Oasis, and am going back on Oasis this fall. For the kiddos, both Oasis and Freedom would offer a wide variety of activities. And for the adults, the entertainment venues are outstanding on both.

But Oasis will offer more space. It's a wonder to see, and it has some things Freedom class doesn't have. There's room to wander around for hours. Don't let the numbers scare you. It is laid out so well that the passenger load is very well disbursed. There are crowds at elevators when a show lets out.... there are crowds at the buffet lines or Park Cafe if you hit those venues at noon. But with a couple of adjustments, it's easily managed. My vote would be Oasis, with Freedom coming in second. :)

Edited by Sherri914

looks like you have had plenty of cruise experience to make a decision. HAL Christmas cruises cater to an older crowd. Other then that, anything goes. They all have the Christmas spirit at Christmas. If my husband didnt like cruising I would go to an all inclusive. We have spent the last 5 years doing AI's for a little change..

I'll try. The Sunshine was the Destiny. They added more cabins and now the ship is crowded. The pool is very small for a ship that size. I've heard good things about the Getaway, but I firmly believe that everyone should try an Oasis class ship. They are awesome, and your kids especially will love it. Flowriders, Zip lines, Boardwalk, etc. Great shows, such as the acqua show, and the ice show. Good luck whatever you choose. I hope I helped some.

I sailed both Sunshine and Getaway last year enjoyed both would go on either one again. Both had great restaurants we ate at many of them Getaway was much bigger and newer even with all that was done to Sunshine still an older ship. I would choose Getaway but did like Sunshine not fond of Aruba when we went there so I would not go Southern just for that reason alone.

So we need a ship that caters to all ages.

A ship that has many on board activities and a cruise line that has the Christmas spirit on board.

Based on this ^ and what you said about hubby not wanting to be cooped up, au would say Oasis for sure! Heaps of activities for your kids like flow rider, mini golf, rock climbing, sports court. Hubby may also enjoy these.

For the adults it has great shows, lots of trivia, classes (origami, jewelry making etc) and the solarium is lovely if you just want to relax by the pool.

We did the western route and very much enjoyed it :)

We were on Sunshine in Feb. We have no plans to go on Carnival again. DH and I decided it was just okay and really like RCI much better. Sunshine does have a lot for kids to do and lots of food options. We can't exactly put our finger on it, but it just didn't do it for us. I've always said both lines are more similar than not, but we've since adjusted that a bit and find RCI a notch above.

We've also been on Allure and at the time thought we probably wouldn't be back anytime soon due to cost and being in FFL, but with Oasis moving to PC and prices becoming more reasonable, especially compared to Anthem, we will probably go on Oasis. We found Allure to be a great ship with a lot to do. I'd say it's a toss up.

Edited by BND

Because you're not interested in the itinerary, I would do the Oasis, but I say that only having cruised so RCI, so I can't comment on NCL. The Oasis is a destination unto itself. We're not big fans of the Western route either and the last time we did Oasis, we only got off on Labadee--and we were NEVER bored.

My DH is in his early 30's and likes a lot of activity and can usually be found on the sports deck (especially FlowRider). I can't comment on the kids' activities because we haven't cruised with ours, but I have also been on the Oasis the first time during the Christmas season, and it was beautifully decorated. We love Oasis and are about to go back on her for the third time in 2 weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct but with three sons with such different interests/age difference an AI or land vacation is a good option. Providenciales is our go to land vacation but it's booked solid and we have a AI booked for this summer so a cruise is the best option for the Christmas trip.......and my husband is desperate to escape family (on both sides). And with our eldest two sons he has playmates to keep him busy and our youngest is still at the age where he needs constant supervision. So he will be busy and happy as long as we can all agree on a cruise.

As one of you pointed out we do have a lot of cruising experience but this Christmas cruise is weighing on me. Our oldest will be a senior in high school and though I believe he will be with us for many many years (boomerang) it's our last christmas before college. Our youngest will just be turning 5 at Christmas and we need to make sure we take Christmas with us. I read the ships all offer church services which is very important to us.

So now we need to decide. I think with many of your replies the list is narrowed down to the RCI Oasis (possibly the Allure). ........My gut is telling me the Oasis or the Allure with the FOS as the back up.

Thank you!!!

Edited by gamecockinnc

Oasis! Lots of activities and show variety. Activities on the boardwalk for the younger kids and the climbing wall for the older kids. Tons of fun and plenty to do. We went Eastern on Oasis two years ago and are going Western on Oasis in six months. We specifically chose Western so we wouldn't feel guilty not getting off the ship. Most of the ports aren't exciting to us on thWestern itinerary.

As another gamecock fan, I would pick the Oasis. there is so much to do. Your little one will enjoy the kids pool area. Rock climbing, flow rider, zip line for the older ones and dh. As you saying that it would be over 14,000 for 2 cabins on the Allure? Wow that is expensive. a balcony and inside might be the better way to go if you decide on Allure. The ship is a destination in itself. I love the Oasis. We are going in June and again in Sept. Whatever decision you make you will have a great time. Enjoy

If you do not want a Western itinerary, why aren't you looking at the Norwegian Escape? It will be a brand new ship doing the Eastern itinerary and in general, the prices are about the same as the Getaway.

If you looking for something for everyone and want one of the newer ships, I'd stick with the Oasis, the Getaway or the Escape. Larger ships are going to offer more choices for everyone.