Disappointment with Viking re: Amsterdam docking

lattelady

Unfortunately changes in itinerary are not limited to river cruises, but also on ocean cruises, often without compensation for providing less than advertised. If you look into the small print on your contract, you will find the "wiggle room" that permits the cruise company to make changes & advertised info is only a suggestion. Good luck.

@notamermaid: We are taking the Tulips & Windmills cruise.

Btw..I read the article referenced above...I think the author missed the point.

I understand there are a variety of reasons a ship might have to dock in unavoidable locations. I grew up as the child of an airline employee. We traveled everywhere subject to load. You prepare for mid-course changes. Often they make the trip memorable. What struck me in this case was not the change itself....rather the way Viking River Cruises handled the situation.

Their website mentions they may have to use alternate locations and they list the good alternatives but they don't mention the industrial ones. Other lines do... I checked. So zero forwarning even though this is a known possibility. As a customer...it minimizes my ability to adjust.

I have no issues using public transport but that's not available in Coenhaven. I would be happy with shuttles but the reps I talked to said first day only... both reps. @lattelady... they are providing even less assistance a year later.

I would be happy doing the canned excursions but they leave out multiple venues... the Rijksmuseum...Anne Frank. They also don't cover wanting to spend the night out enjoying the culture of this wonderful city...no...I don't mean red light district or smoking a joint.

The impression I got from both reps was that my concerns were meaningless and the change was insignificant. So...I will research cabs in Amsterdam and bring extra cash to pay them and look elsewhere for my next river cruise...Viking will probably think this is a small and insignificant change too.

Mydangcruise,

So sorry that your plans may not work out as you hoped. I too fly stand by and know all about flexibility and alternate game plans. When I pay for a trip, however, I have a different mind set and I expect to get what I have paid for. So while I am flexible, I am not willing to give up my plans or incur additional costs to accommodate the travel provider.

We have attended at least two Viking presentations at travel shows and in both cases the Viking rep made a big point of saying that they own all their own docks in Europe and so they dock in all the best locations. I know that berths are assigned but apparently Viking hasn't told their sales reps this. I'm thinking there are many more Viking passengers, not members of Cruise Critic, who are just as unhappy as you are. Hopefully Once you board, ship personnel will have an acceptable solution for you. In any case, I hope you have a great trip!

The supervisor patiently explained that the Amsterdam Port Authority was to blame. I asked if Viking River Cruises would do anything to assist their customers in light of this situation. She said they would provide a few shuttles on the day of embarkation...only. I asked about the inconvenience of having to rely on taxis and the unplanned expense of 40 euro round trips to downtown. She said it was my choice to leave the ship on my own. Given that the ship is docked in an industrial area she may have a point. I also have concerns about walking around at night in that area. She basically washed her hands saying it was the Port Authority's choice and Viking would not and could not help. I asked if Viking River Cruises could at least extend the shuttles for the days the ship was at dock. I was told that was unlikely. I am still waiting to hear back.

Sorry - I'm trying to understand your situation because we're doing the Viking Rhine Getaway AMS to BAS in August. I'm a little confused. Is the cruise you're on docked in Amsterdam for more than embarkation day? You speak of going back and forth and being out at night, so I was wondering if your cruise includes using the ship as a hotel?

We're flying in 2 days early so we can tour and do things in Amsterdam on our own. We've been there before, and felt comfortable with this. We've booked a hotel for those 2 nights. I think we have to check out at noon on the day our cruise leaves. We planned on having the hotel concierge call a cab to take us to the ship so we can drop our luggage off - I know the rooms on the ship won't be ready before 3 or so.

We thought we'd grab some lunch on the ship, then head back into the city for a bit, then back to the ship for dinner - and settle in. I'm trying to figure if this is going to be more of an issue other than having to take a cab back to the city - if we're even docking at Coenhaven - or maybe hopping on one of the shuttles.

Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it! I understand there is a phone number to find where your ship is docked. I'm putting it in with my info just in case!

Viking called back about my inquiries from yesterday. They are now saying that shuttles can be arranged through the cruise director on any of the 4 days the ship is docked in Coenhaven. They did say the schedule is subject to passenger demand. All in all it good news! Shuttles are a good solution as long as we don't hit the glitches some other posters mentioned. I am going to be positive and assume it will work out.

I asked why the rep from yesterday said no shuttles after the first day. The rep today stated that the rep from yesterday was not aware of these late breaking details when she said there would be no shuttles. That strikes me as strange that they don't have an established routine since this is obviously not the first time they have docked at Coenhaven. At the same time, if that is the way they want to spin it, I am fine as long as we don't get stuck in Coenhaven for the duration.

BTW... the cruise is the Tulips and Windmills trip. Day 1 is embarkation. We arrive (booked air through Viking) at 8am so we planned on walking (now shuttling) over to the city center for a good brunch and then killing time at the Brouwerij 't IJ. Day 2 is an hour canal ride and a half day tour to Delft. We were thinking of ditching the canal ride and touring on our own (Rijksmuseum). Day 9 is back to Amsterdam for the Kuekenhof Gardens and maybe a dinner out. Day 10 is disembark. We have time before our flight out.

This is definitely a sad state of affairs. One of the major advantages of river cruising out of Amsterdam has definitely been being so close to city center.

Thanks for posting. This is important information for other river cruises.

Thanks for the heads up, I would/will be disappointed in this as well. We are doing a cruise on Viking out of Amsterdam in May so I will be alert to where the ship ends up docking for boarding.

BTW... the cruise is the Tulips and Windmills trip. Day 1 is embarkation. We arrive (booked air through Viking) at 8am so we planned on walking (now shuttling) over to the city center for a good brunch and then killing time at the Brouwerij 't IJ. Day 2 is an hour canal ride and a half day tour to Delft. We were thinking of ditching the canal ride and touring on our own (Rijksmuseum). Day 9 is back to Amsterdam for the Kuekenhof Gardens and maybe a dinner out. Day 10 is disembark. We have time before our flight out.

Oh - wow that makes sense now. I didn't know they had cruises that spent that much time in Amsterdam. We would like to see the tulips - two trips there and we miss them both times - but we wanted Aug or Sept. Kind of glad we're just staying in a hotel. We booked The Toren and I'm looking forward to it!

Hope you have a great cruise and workable shuttles!

I like your plan for day 2 (even through I always love the canal ride too). The Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum are deservedly popular. Consider getting your Rijksmuseum tickets on line so you can avoid standing in line to purchase tickets. We did that last summer (August) for both the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum during out 2 days in Amsterdam following our river cruise. Even then the Van Gogh purchased ticket line was over an hour long in the morning :eek:; we went to the Rijksmuseum instead (no purchased ticket line), took a canal boat ride in the early afternoon and then went to the Van Gogh museum in the late afternoon (the purchased ticket line had disappeared but there was till a long line of folks waiting to buy tickets). Also, we thought the Rijksmuseum audio tour was one of the very best we have ever taken anywhere in the world; the Van Gogh audio tour paled in comparison (which was a shame).

This is a Viking Facebook post to someone with the same inquiry. I think their response to the day's other than embarkation is less than clear. Just my opinion! Maybe they plan to charge for the shuttle, what's your take?? (Copied & posted yesterday)

QUOTE as follows:

"Thank you for your inquiry, Dan. As suggested in our email message, the port authorities have reassigned the Amsterdam docking location for a handful of our ships. Unfortunately, we do not have control over this decision. The Coenhaven dock, however, is only a short distance from the Amsterdam city center and, to ensure time for our guests to explore Amsterdam, complimentary shuttles will be provided to and from the city on embarkation day. For the remaining days docked at this port, we can also arranged to provide you transportation from Coenhaven. Please discuss your options with the Program Director once onboard. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your comments and look forward to welcoming you aboard!"

Edited by JVilleGal

I like your plan for day 2 (even through I always love the canal ride too). The Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum are deservedly popular. Consider getting your Rijksmuseum tickets on line so you can avoid standing in line to purchase tickets. We did that last summer (August) for both the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum during out 2 days in Amsterdam following our river cruise. Even then the Van Gogh purchased ticket line was over an hour long in the morning :eek:; we went to the Rijksmuseum instead (no purchased ticket line), took a canal boat ride in the early afternoon and then went to the Van Gogh museum in the late afternoon (the purchased ticket line had disappeared but there was till a long line of folks waiting to buy tickets). Also, we thought the Rijksmuseum audio tour was one of the very best we have ever taken anywhere in the world; the Van Gogh audio tour paled in comparison (which was a shame).

Thanks for this info... We are starting a cruise in Amsterdam with Emerald this fall, and thought we might try for an early visit to the Van Gogh museum on embarkation day as we arrive at 9:30 am. Seems as if this might be a challenge - even if we purchase tickets ahead... May have to rethink this.

Are the pre-purchased tickets a timed entry? Or, just arrive and stand in line?

Fran

Hi there My Dang Cruise,

My wife and I are 2 time Viking cruisers and like you, tend to be more independent and want to plan out our own days. While we enjoyed many of the included tours, we also left wishing we had simply done a lot more on our own. Now, for you , time to make lemonade out of the Coenhaven lemon.

By now Viking should have available a time specific itinerary telling you where and when you can board a shuttle to the boat on embarkation day. Just pick the one that suits you best and spend as much of your flight day as you want in Amsterdam.

In all of our Viking cruises, where an itinerary says something like, "morning tour and afternoon at leisure" that has meant that Viking provides shuttles back to the boat at various times in the pm. The ship has printed a time schedule and the place to pick up the shuttle. You would just take the shuttle into Amsterdam in the morning of day 2 and stay until the last shuttle returns.

I agree with others who have said a canal boat ride is a super way to see the city for a first time visitor. If you don't want to take the included Viking canal tour there are hop on- hop off canal boats that would take you to all of the prime destinations.

The Riks Museum was one of the absolute highlights of our trip last year.

BTW - on our Basel to Amsterdam cruise last year we ended up docking in Rotterdam so it could be worse lol. We still had a terrific time and you will too.

FM

Thanks for this info... We are starting a cruise in Amsterdam with Emerald this fall, and thought we might try for an early visit to the Van Gogh museum on embarkation day as we arrive at 9:30 am. Seems as if this might be a challenge - even if we purchase tickets ahead... May have to rethink this.

Are the pre-purchased tickets a timed entry? Or, just arrive and stand in line?

Fran

The pre-purchased tickets are for a timed entry. There is a separate line for ticket holders. The irony is that the Dutch are such sticklers for rules that even if there is no line for walk-up entry they WILL make you wait in line until your ticket time! This happened to us. But you never know if there will be a long line for walk-ups, so it is best to buy a ticket online.

5 miles per Google...looks like highways. The problem is that the original docking locations listed by Viking were all within easy walks of public transportation. The new docking locations are in large industrial areas. Other posters have reported issues with taxi (and even some Viking provided shuttle drivers) being unfamiliar with the area and unable to find the ships. There is no access to public transportation.

5 miles per Google...looks like highways. The problem is that the original docking locations listed by Viking were all within easy walks of public transportation. The new docking locations are in large industrial areas. Other posters have reported issues with taxi (and even some Viking provided shuttle drivers) being unfamiliar with the area and unable to find the ships. There is no access to public transportation.

Was it you that just posted this same thing in Vikings FB wall?? What do you bet this docking in "out in the boonies" is really about $$ ? Just a thought ;)

I'm posting this at about 1:30 EDT on Sunday. I just looked at the cruise docks in Amsterdam for the boats on the webcam. The docks are slam full of river cruise boats and are rafted on the outer pier. IMHO there are just too many river cruise boats traveling to the same cities in some cases. With Amsterdam either being the arrival or departure point for most every Rhine River cruise it was just a matter of time before they became over crowded. Also, didn't Viking just recently launch 8 more boats? I'll clean it up but it seems to me like they are trying to put 5 lbs of potatoes in a 2 lb bag. I guess one of my questions would be is this just a peak time thing? Like for "Tulips and Windmills" and maybe Christmas Markets. I know on our Christmas Market cruise a couple of years ago....several of the docks we tied up to were not within walking distance of anything. One was literally out in the middle of the woods in nowhere. It was either shuttle or stay on the boat. Inconvenient? Yes, but I guess just a sign of the times. Seems like maybe the same thing is happening in Paris.

I'm posting this at about 1:30 EDT on Sunday. I just looked at the cruise docks in Amsterdam for the boats on the webcam. The docks are slam full of river cruise boats and are rafted on the outer pier. IMHO there are just too many river cruise boats traveling to the same cities in some cases. With Amsterdam either being the arrival or departure point for most every Rhine River cruise it was just a matter of time before they became over crowded. Also, didn't Viking just recently launch 8 more boats? I'll clean it up but it seems to me like they are trying to put 5 lbs of potatoes in a 2 lb bag. I guess one of my questions would be is this just a peak time thing? Like for "Tulips and Windmills" and maybe Christmas Markets. I know on our Christmas Market cruise a couple of years ago....several of the docks we tied up to were not within walking distance of anything. One was literally out in the middle of the woods in nowhere. It was either shuttle or stay on the boat. Inconvenient? Yes, but I guess just a sign of the times. Seems like maybe the same thing is happening in Paris.

I hope this is a start-of-season pile-up because of all the Tulip Time itineraries. Once the full range of Danube cruises starts, some of the boats will be doing the eastern part only and a few others will start in ports other than Amsterdam.

Did a little research about this on the Amsterdam public transportation website. There is a bus stop within walking distance of the Coenhaven docks. Further research is needed to figure out when the buses run.

Did a little research about this on the Amsterdam public transportation website. There is a bus stop within walking distance of the Coenhaven docks. Further research is needed to figure out when the buses run.

Or where they go! Viking was suppose to dock in Amsterdam "Heart of the City" so ......

Personally, I don't think it is fair (on the Windmills and Tulips trip where there are multiple days in Amsterdam) to pay the same price as the ships docked in the city center and have what I consider a vastly different experience out in the industrial dock. The view is non-existent. You don't get to walk on and off and enjoy the city in that way. In our case, I tried to nap off some jet lag one afternoon and I just laid on the bed listening to a front loader go back and forth moving beans or something from the warehouse we were docked next to.

Overall, we had a very nice trip but we did not enjoy Amsterdam the way it was advertised or the way we expected. I would say that Viking "made it right" with us after the cruise, but I definitely felt like the onboard staff was not accommodating or empathetic. Since this apparently becoming a more common occurrence, I would hope they had developed a better plan for handling it. I certainly don't fault mydangcruise for being concerned.