Deck Chair Warnings Poolside

MGK

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkyred View Post

people still just ignored it and plenty were doing the old one in the sun and one in the shade thing, ....

Easy answer here

Put them on 'Tour of British Isles' Cruise - they wont be able to have one in the sun and one in the shade then !

️️️️️️️️️️

Could not agree more..... Keep Celebrity cruising round and round the British Isles and the demand for sun beds around the pool will no longer be a problem. The queue for hot chocolate at El Bachio may increase though..... Post sent from sunny Cheshire where it has been sun, rain, rain, sun all day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkyred View Post

people still just ignored it and plenty were doing the old one in the sun and one in the shade thing, ....

Easy answer here

Put them on 'Tour of British Isles' Cruise - they wont be able to have one in the sun and one in the shade then !

️️️️️️️️️️

Could not agree more..... Keep Celebrity cruising round and round the British Isles and the demand for sun beds around the pool will no longer be a problem. The queue for hot chocolate at El Bachio may increase though..... Post sent from sunny Cheshire where it has been sun, rain, rain, sun all day.

at least you are in the good climatic area of England . our weather is rubbish and the only amusement we have is frolicking with sheep or repelling scots - or vice versa ,cant remember [emoji299]️[emoji299]️[emoji299]️[emoji12][emoji33][emoji574]️[emoji634]

Edited by gcgold

On our last cruise we didn't see any chair hogs. We did notice that a lot of people didn't clear away their towels, papers or library books when they left so we cleaned up for them.

How nice of you, clever way of dealing with any potential problem.

I recently completed cruises on both the Celebrity Equinox and them the RCCL Allure of the Seas.

To my surprise I found that on Celebrity, many people were downright arrogant, reserving large number of seats at the pool, for their husbands and friends, who would take up to one hour to appear. Many of the seats were also covered with a towel, or a paperback novel to show that an individual had "reserved this."

Chair Hogs were also in operation at the buffet ....

On the Allure, to our surprise, we did not find this to be a problem. I think that RCCL was more effective in monitoring the problem of Chair Hogs.

I agree. On a recent repositioning cruise with Celebrity, both the Buffet and Pool areas had significant chair hog issues. I also agree that Celebrity chair hogs are very arrogant and quite entitled. While chair hogs frequent all cruise lines, HAL and NCL do a better job of policing.

I agree. On a recent repositioning cruise with Celebrity, both the Buffet and Pool areas had significant chair hog issues. I also agree that Celebrity chair hogs are very arrogant and quite entitled. While chair hogs frequent all cruise lines, HAL and NCL do a better job of policing.

The buffet had chair hogs -are you sure ?

If I go for breakfast I usually grab a coffee and find a suitable table . We leave our stuff on the seats whilst we go and get our food, but with one person sitting at the table. Dont wish to walk around with a plate of food going cold whilst seeking a table.

Is that what you mean ?

I don't understand why more people don't just move the stuff aside (or give to pool attendant) and just shrug if people return: "Nothing here when I came...."

I've done that myself ...

The worst chair hogs I have ever seen were on an Oceania cruise. There was a large group who reserved chairs in the sun & the shade. There was a lot of drinking going on, and they got pretty obnoxious. They were always very loud; anywhere you went on the ship, you could tell if they were there before you got there!

They were generally very rude to the staff. Complained about everything. And - they cheated at Trivia (but still weren't very good at it!)

It is easy to say just move the chair hogs stuff but if you are sitting in"their" chair you will get an earful and more. I got told off by a lovely English lady. She moved her magazine to another chair and left. It ruined my time in the solarium. Just do not enjoy confrontation.

If the pool butlers took the junk it would be better.

The buffet had chair hogs -are you sure ?

If I go for breakfast I usually grab a coffee and find a suitable table . We leave our stuff on the seats whilst we go and get our food, but with one person sitting at the table. Dont wish to walk around with a plate of food going cold whilst seeking a table.

Is that what you mean ?

This seems fine to me IMHO. A quick run to breakfast and returning to the pool with food means you're still somewhat actively using the chair. But leaving for 40 minutes to sit and eat in the Buffet while still reserving a pool chair wouldn't be nice to the other passengers.

One cruise enforced a 30-minute rule for empty chairs starting with a warning card with a time on it. This is best for passengers who don't like a potential for an unpleasant confrontations.

It is easy to say just move the chair hogs stuff but if you are sitting in"their" chair you will get an earful and more. I got told off by a lovely English lady. She moved her magazine to another chair and left. It ruined my time in the solarium. Just do not enjoy confrontation.

If the pool butlers took the junk it would be better.

Honestly, I wouldn't do it if my husband wasn't there. I'm horrible at confrontation. He avoids it, but isn't afraid of it.

The idea of pool butlers monitoring chairs that are unoccupied for 30+ minutes is fine, but I think much of the problem could be solved if they were simply roaming the area from 6-8am or so, when the vast majority of chair hogs run down and throw towels and magazines on a bunch of chairs. If the pool butlers were right there to say, "I'm sorry, these chairs cannot be reserved" their efforts would be largely foiled right from the get-go.

I actually saw this card system being enforced on the Eclipse about a month ago, I was actually quite impressed this was happening, it was in the Solarium pool I must add. Luckily I am not after a chair by the outdoor pool! my personal view I find that its just quite selfish.

The idea of pool butlers monitoring chairs that are unoccupied for 30+ minutes is fine, but I think much of the problem could be solved if they were simply roaming the area from 6-8am or so, when the vast majority of chair hogs run down and throw towels and magazines on a bunch of chairs. If the pool butlers were right there to say, "I'm sorry, these chairs cannot be reserved" their efforts would be largely foiled right from the get-go.

Agree 100%. If the pool staff were to do this a large portion of the issue would go away.

The smartest people stay out of the sun anyway. I never see the "tan" that so many seem to be proud of...just skin damage.

You are so right. My wife has basil cell carcinoma, which if left untreated can develop into melanoma. She damaged her skin when we lived in Cyprus in the '60s. For this reason, we always try to find a chair/bed in a shady spot. We would never dream of hogging a bed, as, who knows, there may be others like my wife who needs the shade. One of the reasons we always try for a balcony as we can always use that, albeit it is less sociable.

Another thing that would help is if Pax clear their chair when leaving. I have seen many leave their towels, which of course leaves the impression that they are nearby or will be back.

where is that 'like' button [emoji41]

You are so right. My wife has basil cell carcinoma, which if left untreated can develop into melanoma. She damaged her skin when we lived in Cyprus in the '60s. For this reason, we always try to find a chair/bed in a shady spot. We would never dream of hogging a bed, as, who knows, there may be others like my wife who needs the shade. One of the reasons we always try for a balcony as we can always use that, albeit it is less sociable.

my wife and I have always had the same routine, I always sit down the side of the ship in the shade while she sits in deck in full sun. Guess which if us was diagnosed with skin cancer three weeks ago ?

my wife and I have always had the same routine, I always sit down the side of the ship in the shade while she sits in deck in full sun. Guess which if us was diagnosed with skin cancer three weeks ago ?

Really, really sorry to hear that. I wish you well, if it's any consolation, it is way up there with the most curable cancers.

Really, really sorry to hear that. I wish you well, if it's any consolation, it is way up there with the most curable cancers.

Thanks, they are very confident my wife will be fine but it is a heads up for others in here, please be careful.

At "Ask a cruise question" I proposed this: a red light on the chair the guest can switch on to keep it occupied for the next 30 minutes while the guest is out for a swim, the toilet or a snack. When the light goes off and the chair is still "occupied" by a towel, book or whatever, the crew has one simple rule to follow which is to clear the chair. One extra feature is that after the light goes off you need to wait 2 minutes to be able to switch it on again. (So you can't really ask your neighbour to keep it switched on)

No need to place cards, no people occupying one chair in the shadow and one in the sun, no possibility to rig the system, no need to look for people who do try to rig the system to get angry at, no difficult discussions with the crew. No need to claim a chair very early either, because it would be useless.

The rules for both crew and guests are clear and simple. Crew: "No person and no light = clear the chair". Guests: "Please do not forget to press the 'I'll be right back!' button to have your chair reserved for a maximum of 30 minutes".

I don't like that it's not as romantic as a cruise could be, similar to a beeper to tell you when you can enter the MDR. Then again, it would be a tiny, non-obtrusive device that should be able to relieve both guests and crew.

We were on a cruise and on a Sea day looking for some loungers near the pool. I spotted 6 (we needed 2) that looked to me like they were "hogged"

A towel on each, a flip flop on one a bottle of sun cream on another, a book on a third and so on.

I asked people nearby if they were being used and was told they hadn't seen anybody and had been there an hour or so.

So, I cleared of 2 loungers, put the stuff on one of the remaining 4 and we settled in.

An hour or so later a fellow came along, looked to me as though he was looking for some chairs so I helpfully pointed out the 4 beside us had appeared to have been "hogged", and we had been there for an hour, and no sign of the people who had left their stuff.

Turned out he was the chair hog.

The end result was he collected the stuff and stomped away.

We don't exchange Christmas Cards, but that's the way the bubble gum bounces.

We were on a cruise and on a Sea day looking for some loungers near the pool. I spotted 6 (we needed 2) that looked to me like they were "hogged"

A towel on each, a flip flop on one a bottle of sun cream on another, a book on a third and so on.

I asked people nearby if they were being used and was told they hadn't seen anybody and had been there an hour or so.

So, I cleared of 2 loungers, put the stuff on one of the remaining 4 and we settled in.

An hour or so later a fellow came along, looked to me as though he was looking for some chairs so I helpfully pointed out the 4 beside us had appeared to have been "hogged", and we had been there for an hour, and no sign of the people who had left their stuff.

Turned out he was the chair hog.

The end result was he collected the stuff and stomped away.

:D Let that be a lesson - hoggers are NO match for 'peggers!

Never heard that expression before . [emoji33][emoji41]

You guys from Canadia have some great phrases as well as Clamato Juice . Wish I had been born in Canadia 🇨🇦🇨🇦

We spent 35 days on the Solstice earlier this year and never experienced the hogging of deck chairs. The pool butlers were pretty much on the ball collecting towels and left behind gear. They weren't as green as they may have been cabbage looking.