MTD or Traditional dining for a Solo traveller

Hi all

I am by myself travelling on Oasis in January. Whilst I have traveled pretty extensively before this will be my first real "cruise". I have currently booked a late seating traditional dining spot but am wondering if I should switch this to MTD.

Reasons why I chose the traditional:

- I chose a larger size table and thought this might be a way to meet other people on the cruise and not have to dine alone every night

- I chose the late sitting as I don't eat that early at home and also thought the later sitting would minimize the number of children (and thus reduce the chances of me being seated with a family of 5 at a table for 6)

Reason why I think MTD might be a good option:

- I can eat at a time more in tune to when I eat at home (7 - 7:30)

- it might be easier to schedule meals and entertainment options

Questions:

- If I switch to MTD will I have to sit alone every night?

- I have read some posts on Oasis which stated that people had to wait for 45 min or more for MTD seats even when they had booked their table time. Is this still the case?

- I understand the MDR has been divided into 3 restaurants now. Do they serve different food on Oasis or is it just a matter of different decor?

- I have read that on Oasis 2/3 of the restaurants in the MDR are for MTD and one is for traditional dining. If I have MTD do I get to choose which restaurant I eat in or is it assigned on the day when you turn up for your booking?

- If you have prebooked a particular time for MTD on a certain day and decide at the last minute you want to change it and eat either earlier or later, can this be done?

- Any advice on which option would be best for a solo yet wanna be social cruiser?

I have prepaid my tips so I don't believe it should be a problem to switch to MTD if that is the best option. I'm not likely to use MTD by just turning up. I love planning holidays almost as much as taking them and will most likely schedule my dining and entertainment each day.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

... I understand the MDR has been divided into 3 restaurants now. Do they serve different food on Oasis or is it just a matter of different decor?

- I have read that on Oasis 2/3 of the restaurants in the MDR are for MTD and one is for traditional dining. If I have MTD do I get to choose which restaurant I eat in or is it assigned on the day when you turn up for your booking?....

The MDR on Oasis was split up because they wanted to implemennt Dynamic Dining. However, DD has been postponed, so all the restaurants than make up the former MDR currently serve the same food.

The MTD floor is fixed and does not change during the cruise.

Agree about traditional dining and a large table and meeting people, however, since the inception of MTD and the number of specialty restaurants have found that more often than not at the large table often only a few show up. I think more people are doing MTD, and therefore not involved with traditional dining.

Also found at lunch and breakfast that people no longer want to "share" in the MDR. Many requests for their own table. Not sure if it is the same at dinner.

Tough choice, not sure what to suggest. Good luck - have a feeling it could vary from cruise to cruise depending on the passenger mix.

I've met great people at large tables during solo cruises. I've also once found myself stuck with one other person at a table for 10 (and though I liked the older gentleman, he started repeating stories the second night of a 12 night cruise). I've not yet tried MTD as a solo, but it may be hit or miss as well. If you happen to time it right or meet the right people onboard, MTD could be great. Otherwise, so many people seem deathly afraid of having to interact with others during a meal.

I've met great people at large tables during solo cruises. I've also once found myself stuck with one other person at a table for 10 (and though I liked the older gentleman, he started repeating stories the second night of a 12 night cruise). I've not yet tried MTD as a solo, but it may be hit or miss as well. If you happen to time it right or meet the right people onboard, MTD could be great. Otherwise, so many people seem deathly afraid of having to interact with others during a meal.

It's great to post right after my nephew Silent Bob.

I've cruised solo for the last 8 years and I much prefer MTD. I've eaten with old friends (table of six), new friends (table of 4), another person at a table for two and some nights just by myself. I love MTD! I can eat when I want to and sit with the people I want to be with or join new people at a table. MTD is great for trying to see shows and not be locked into a specific time to eat.

Alan

I like to opt for the set dining time at a large table.

Your table may not be full every night as on some evenings some of your tablemates may opt for specialty dining, but you should have someone to chat with every evening. If you don't like your table the first evening, you can ask to be changed to another location.

If you ask the same question on the solo cruisers forum, you will have a 50-50 split on traditional vs. MTD. It's really a personal preference.

Hi all

I am by myself travelling on Oasis in January. Whilst I have traveled pretty extensively before this will be my first real "cruise". I have currently booked a late seating traditional dining spot but am wondering if I should switch this to MTD.

Switching all depends on your personal preference,. I cruise solo regularly and my decision as to choosing MTD vs./ Traditional often depends on what my port plans are for that specific cruise. Know that you can switch back and forth between MTD and Traditional throughout the cruise. It's either one or the other for the duration.

- If I switch to MTD will I have to sit alone every night?

You can request to be seated with others when you check in with the Matre D' each. MTD is nice if your meet others on board who also have MTD than you can arrange to dine together.

- I have read some posts on Oasis which stated that people had to wait for 45 min or more for MTD seats even when they had booked their table time. Is this still the case?

Never had to wait that long on any RCCL ship .

- I understand the MDR has been divided into 3 restaurants now. Do they serve different food on Oasis or is it just a matter of different decor?

All same food and décor.

- I have read that on Oasis 2/3 of the restaurants in the MDR are for MTD and one is for traditional dining. If I have MTD do I get to choose which restaurant I eat in or is it assigned on the day when you turn up for your booking?

The Main Dining room is multiple levels with each level having a different name but it's all the same restaurant with some of the levels dedicated to MDT. My Time Diners all enter at the same and you will be taken to you table . If you specify a specific area you may have to wait a longer period than accepting the first available table.

- If you have prebooked a particular time for MTD on a certain day and decide at the last minute you want to change it and eat either earlier or later, can this be done?

You can cancel and change your reservation . You can also not make a reservation and show up when you want to eat. If you're wanting a peak time like 7:30 PM it's best to have a reservation. Edited by xxoocruiser

I love MTD. I almost always cruise solo, and I've never had a problem sitting at a large table and chatting to different people. Made plenty of friends through MTD. I once needed to be in and out in 45 minutes. They put me on a two top and it worked well. I'll never go back to a set time.

If you want tablemates, and time to get to know them, stick with traditional seating. You are never guaranteed that others will be willing to sit with you in MTD....most folks like that option because they don't want tablemates.

It's great to post right after my nephew Silent Bob.

I've cruised solo for the last 8 years and I much prefer MTD. I've eaten with old friends (table of six), new friends (table of 4), another person at a table for two and some nights just by myself. I love MTD! I can eat when I want to and sit with the people I want to be with or join new people at a table. MTD is great for trying to see shows and not be locked into a specific time to eat.

Alan

It sounds like I may have to try MTD solo. :)

I agree with a lot that has been said. I myself travel solo everytime, and I did MDR 1st cruise back at a table of 10 and 3/4 was empty 3 nights and no one the last night! I would suggest to go 6 or 8 table. For MTD I would go around 7 so, and you have better chances to sit with a table of people. Lately I never know when I want to eat, or to spend the time, so WJ for me!

I've booked MDR for my November cruise but have been thinking of switching. For MTD, can you request to be seated by yourself. In January while on the Jewel, I did MDR with a large table - I think I was the only one that missed a night. The people I met were wonderful. But on a ship like Oasis and all of the entertainment planning that needs to be done, I'm wondering if MTD might be best for this solo girl.

Would love to hear your thoughts!!

Our family of 4 on our last cruise was seated at a table for 6, of the 12 days, the other couple showed up maybe 4 times.

I was solo in Sept on Rhapsody - 9 at a table for 10 - (3 solos) - people looked forward to eating together and showed up. I like the set group - we "gelled". You can meet different people at breakfast and lunch wherever you eat. I find at breakfast and lunch the waiters -fill tables before staring another and don't let people make individual choices of what table they want. I don't want to have to ask people in MTD if I can share their table. Prefer MDR

squadron, we also prefer MDR, the only reason we are MTD for our cruise in Oct, DH at first wasn't going, just the daughter & I so thought it might work out better, then he decided to go and then it was to late to change. We have always enjoyed our table mates except one cruise where the ladies husband complained about the littlest things. Being this was our 2nd cruise we didn't think to ask for a change.

I currently have an 8:30 seating for traditional dinning. I really would prefer MTD and to sit just my family of 3. Do you think if I wait to switch when we board I'm going to be denied? Thanks

Unknown. It depends on them having available space in MTD.

I sailed solo on the Oasis last October. Booked the early seating, and requested a table for 6-8. When I arrived at my assigned table, it was for 4 with only another solo. We had a great time, great conversation. Enjoyed going to dinner each night.

The 3 story dining room has been changed to American Icon Grill (Deck 3), The Grande (Deck 4), and Silk (Deck 5). Although the Cruise Compass has American Icon Grill listed as the Traditional dining room with The Grande and Silk as MTD, I was assigned to The Grande. One half (on the left) was for Traditional and the other half was MTD. I noticed more smaller tables and not that many larger ones.

The first night I walked past a very long line for MTD on my way to my assigned table. After that, very short line if any, and many empty tables in The Grande dining room. Some people with traditional only ate in MDR twice. My Assistant Waiter kept getting sent up to the Windjammer Buffet as they were busier up there. Guess MTD people didn't like waiting in line.

With all the specialty restaurants on Oasis, there is no guarantee either way of having tablemate(s) at dinner.

Edited by TM38Rob

Many thanks for all the replies! I think I'll leave it as traditional late slot for now, and then once the entertainment options open up if it seems to hard to schedule I'll switch it to MTD