Has anyone cruised over Spring Break?

I cruised Liberty the end of March this year and it was overrun with young kids! Where it was really annoying was WJ. If you stay away from the height time or places that should help to eliminate some of it. Dine late; go to late shows, and stay to clubs and adult pools, and that should help. If it is Easter it will be little kid central.

I would also try to check the party university close to the TX port and when their Spring break is, because the FL Gators took over 2/3 Liberty in early March, and the reports were nuts of the college kids running amuck, and wild. Apparently keeping bartenders, security and cleaning staff very busy. Maybe that is more or not to your liking. That is a route I believe is very favorable for college kids.

Congrats on your wedding! Happy sailing and Liberty is big and very beautiful.

I believe you're talking about the Feb.28th sailing on Liberty... My son said he had a great time on that cruise.... Little kids are not the problem with spring break cruises... the problem is if a university has picked your cruise to vacation on.... This is the sailing mentioned above...

I sailed on the Jewel during my SO's spring break. I was not bothered by children at any point in the cruise. I do not have children of my own. But really the only time I would ever be bothered by children is if they were misbehaving and the parent's were not doing anything about it.

We were on a 7 day cruise out of San Juan and I am sure sailing out of San Juan would greatly diminish the chance of an abundance of children. As the airfare was approximately the cost of the cruise itself.

We cruised on March 22 on Freedom of the Seas. Lots of children. Didn't really bother us but we just went to other areas of the ship. Not many college age kids but we were doing Eastern Caribbean. I think that a lot of college age go western Caribbean to go to Mexico because drinking age is 18.

That's a good point about the Western route being more popular because of the drinking age.

I don't mind a bunch of kids or college students, I can work around both, but it would be the last thing I'd choose for a honeymoon.

I've done plenty of spring break cruises, including one out of Galveston the week after Easter. According to the Adventure Ocean staff there were 490 kids out of the 1999 passengers on that ship. I spent the week wondering where all those kids were. With numbers like that, every fourth person should have been that whiney toddler disrupting the dining room and that 11 year-old dripping ice cream all over the pool deck ... but you really didn't see that many "kids". Remember, that many of those "kids" are older teens stretched out in deck chairs soaking up the sun. And the younger ones, and back in Adventure Ocean having a great time. I have had more cruises disturbed by adults who didn't know when to stop drinking, than by kids.

Go enjoy your cruise.

We did a b2b on Indy in March, the 1st week had pretty much no college students however on the 2nd cruise (Western Leg) the ship was overrun with them. They took over many of the bars in large groups and were quite noisy. We saw quite a few under 'house arrest' on the ship until we arrived in the next port, from which they were disembarked. We noticed a considerable increase in the frequency the Security guards would patrol the decks for the 2nd week. Will definitely avoid booking during spring break again.

We don't cruise during Christmas or Easter weeks. I suspect that it will have more families and children and be similar to sailing during summer vacation. You can head for the Solarium and book a table for 2 with MTD to help insure couple time.

I avoid college spring break weeks in March like the plague.

We just sailed Quantum over spring break and yes there where lots of kids but nothing that bad. Kids in the solarium hot tub at night annoying but not cruise ruining. Long lines for ice cream not the end of the world.

Some of the activities had longer lines but it was our kids spring break so what.

I think as long as your cruise is 7 days you will be fine. Lots of families and kids but not so many drunk college kids. That's more disruptive than having to wait a bit to flowride

I'd expect more college drunkenness on the 3 day cruises than the week long cruise. I'm not sure I understand why a western Caribbean cruise would hold extra appeal to college kids, if drinking age is the issue why not just spend half the money and stay a week in Mexico rather than one afternoon? I'll admit that it's been a while since I was in college, but the drinking age was never factored into anyone's ability to drink that I can recall.

What? There is no party university near any of the ports in the Galveston/Houston area. Where did you get that idea?

I was giving a tad of info since this past March the Florida Gators had pick Liberty and apparently advertised via school and There were 2300+ of them on the boat. From a live CC report. Apparently 73 arrests during the cruise and if there are any colleges in that area they may get the same idea! The OP might want to check schools in the area break schedules; although college kids from ever I went the end of the 4th week of March and a ton of younger school kids running around.

College Kids Easter break http://2016 http://www.studentcity.com/when-is-my-spring-break

I'm a former teacher so I look for cruises with few children. This cruise will have LOTS of kids, families and college students. This is sort of like "the perfect storm" date as it is both the date of Easter (March 27) and around the time many school districts across the country always schedule spring break. There is always some school district that has a break so you really can't get away. Also, many parents will take their kids out of school for cruises, so that makes predicting tough.

My advice is either to delay the cruise until mid-April OR choose a more upscale cruise line that doesn't usually have a lot of kids onboard. The "rule" of fewer kids is longer than 7 day cruises or more upscale cruise lines. We had about 12 kids on our 19 night Panama Canal cruise and similar numbers on transatlantics in the spring. Do you have enough time for one of those?

I've gone on cruises that same week the last 3 years. There will be very few, if any collage kids aboard. K-12 will be a different story. One of the years we did the 8 night itinerary on Indy. The other 2 were on Freedom. We noticed there were a lot less kids on the 8 night, than on the 7 night. So if it's possible to do longer than 7 nights, that should reduce the number of kids. But your on your honeymoon, are you really going to spend that much time in public. Enjoy

• 3 weeks later...

I am a Texan and a school teacher. Texas SB is usually consistently the 2nd week of March.

If that is Holy Week, then the students will have the Friday off and that is about it for public.

I wouldnt worry too much unless it is SB for out states that are leaving out of Texas

We sailed on Adventure that set sail on Easter Sunday of this year. We were told during a talk by an officer that there were 900+ "children" on board . We were stunned to hear this because we just never noticed them. Even after we were aware of this fact, I would purposely look around and I never felt like there were a lot of kids around.

We cruised during Spring Break only once and will never do it again. The problem isn´t necessarily on the ship, but you will see crowds and problems in almost every port.

We try and avoid March and April for that reason.

Question - Has anyone cruised over Spring Break?

I admit that I didn't even read the OP's message or the thread.:rolleyes:

Sorry, but because of the type of question that some people post.........

I just HAVE to answer the original question:

No - all the RCI ships sail COMPLETELY EMPTY every year at that time. :eek:

Go ahead and flame me for being a hole, but you were thinking it too. :p ;)

We sailed on Adventure that set sail on Easter Sunday of this year. We were told during a talk by an officer that there were 900+ "children" on board . We were stunned to hear this because we just never noticed them. Even after we were aware of this fact, I would purposely look around and I never felt like there were a lot of kids around.

I guess you weren't in the WJ much! When I was on Liberty this spring it was constant spill central due to the kids running around, and totally oblivious to the rest of us in it. Driving the staff a little nuts with clean-up and baby sitting duties.

I was trying to avoid the place during toddler and kid time! Tantrums aren't my scene. No succes on sea days for breakfast and lunch. I was closing WJ down most nights, and most kids elsewhere[emoji6]! I guess that is why the dinner sucked every night! Only the crumbs and very overcooked food left[emoji21].

Question - Has anyone cruised over Spring Break?

I admit that I didn't even read the OP's message or the thread.:rolleyes:

Sorry, but because of the type of question that some people post.........

I just HAVE to answer the original question:

No - all the RCI ships sail COMPLETELY EMPTY every year at that time. :eek:

Go ahead and flame me for being a hole, but you were thinking it too. [emoji14] ;)

Too darn funny! [emoji13] [emoji23]

The Galveston spring break seems to be different than the Florida spring break. For Galveston there's just the one week earlier in March when all of Texas is on Spring Break, and that tends to be the week you get all the kids. For Florida everyone from everywhere goes to Florida for Spring Break, and the weeks are spread out from late February to early April. The last week of March only seems to attract spring-breakers from Colorado and Utah to Galveston, and there's not nearly as many of them since a lot of people from those states head to the mountains for Spring Break..

We have done Navigator the last week of March out of Galveston for the past two years, and each year was completely different due to where Easter fell. Last year Easter did not fall on the cruise, and there were hardly any kids on the boat, to the point that my kids (11 and 14 at the time) complained they had nothing to do since there were so few kids. This year was the Mexico holy week as mentioned earlier, so the cruise was a different experience since 2/3 of the cruise was Spanish-speaking. The Mexico holy week cruise had other advantages, as the shows were not as crowded, and the Diamond Lounge was not crowded at all, as I heard there were only about 130 diamond levels and above on that cruise.

Even though your cruise starts on Easter, I'm assuming the holy week crowd will be the week before your cruise, so you'll get a similar crowd to what we had last year, with just a few kids from midwest/mountain states on Spring Break that week.