Oosterdam - jogging on promenade deck?

dcsam

This is copied from the Holland America website.

Our broad, generously proportioned teak decks are perfect for walkers and joggers, and when you are finished exercising, cool off in one of our pools.

So, I would say jogging is allowed on the Promenade deck.

"Our broad, generously proportioned teak decks are perfect for walkers and joggers, and when you are finished exercising, cool off in one of our pools.

"

No, that's not correct, walking is on the promenade deck and jogging is allowed on the sports deck..

Our broad, generously proportioned teak decks are perfect for walkers and joggers, and when you are finished exercising, cool off in one of our pools.

Rickytop, I have no doubt the HAL website say this. In practice though, some of the ships have cabins directly below the promenade and jogging can be disturbing to passengers in those cabins. There are signs on some of these ships that do state there is no jogging on the promenade for this reason. Jogging on the sports deck is allowed on these ships.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, Rickytop! :)

Edited by 0bnxshs

I've seen many joggers on the Vista ships. Just be careful and courteous to walkers- slow down around the corners so you don't run into people.

If you want to run without abandon head up to the Sports or Observation decks.

We were just recently on Oosterdam's sister ship Westerdam, and there were a few people jogging (not us). Didn't see any signs anywhere saying that you couldn't jog. However, at certain times of the day the promenade can get busy with people just walking or standing at the rails. And of course there are all the lounger chairs out during the day. Doesn't always make for an ideal running environment.

We have seen this sign on several of the larger ships:

2013NieuwAmsterdamShipPictures337_zps5a31a325.jpg

This sign says it all and answers the questions. I believe one might jog or run on the Sports deck but not the walk around deck which is promenade on the newer ships and lower promenade on the "R" and "S" Class ships.

The oosterdam prom deck gets very narrow in spots making it especially difficult when two people are walking side by side for anyone to get around them....much less joggers.

I for one like to walk with headphones on and not have to worry about some joggers coming up quickly behind me. I'd love to see joggers restricted to the treadmills and/or the sports decks with no jogging at all on the promenade decks. Most irritating of all though are the brain deads who ignore the big NO JOGGING signs on some ships completely.

There was a young women jogging on the promenade deck on Maasdam last week even though the posted sign says no jogging. I don't think anyone said anything but it was cold so no one else was on the deck (not sure if anyone heard her on deck 5 below).

We jog on the sports deck outside of the Crows Nest.

Edited by Jade13

The oosterdam prom deck gets very narrow in spots making it especially difficult when two people are walking side by side for anyone to get around them....much less joggers.

I for one like to walk with headphones on and not have to worry about some joggers coming up quickly behind me. I'd love to see joggers restricted to the treadmills and/or the sports decks with no jogging at all on the promenade decks. Most irritating of all though are the brain deads who ignore the big NO JOGGING signs on some ships completely.

I prefer walkers and joggers both to not wear earphones so that they can be aware of their surroundings. Using your argument, I could say I'd prefer walkers to use treadmills so they aren't in my way while jogging... But really I believe we can all share the same areas, and the fact that we are out moving, enjoying the fresh air and basically making/keeping ourselves healthy gives us a natural bond.

I prefer walkers and joggers both to not wear earphones so that they can be aware of their surroundings. Using your argument, I could say I'd prefer walkers to use treadmills so they aren't in my way while jogging... But really I believe we can all share the same areas, and the fact that we are out moving, enjoying the fresh air and basically making/keeping ourselves healthy gives us a natural bond.

I'll be the person walking with headphones as it says nothing about not wearing them. It does say no jogging so why do you think it ok to do so?

The previous posts have differing answers about the signs, I wouldn't disregard the sign if there is one that says no jogging. The picture seems to be from another ship. Middle-aged-mom says she saw no sign specifically on Oosterdam.

I think it's rude to somehow think that walking is superior to jogging, so joggers should be relegated to treadmills, as dockman writes. I think both joggers and walkers are guilty of wearing headphones and thus not being aware of other people sharing the same space, and in both instances I would consider that rude, also. If they are listening at low volume and pay attention to other people, then I have no problem. The real gist of my post, and my strongest feeling, is that we should all just get along, as we are all doing the same basic thing: enjoying the sights, smells and (maybe) sounds of being in an amazing setting, while making our bodies healthier.

The previous posts have differing answers about the signs, I wouldn't disregard the sign if there is one that says no jogging. The picture seems to be from another ship. Middle-aged-mom says she saw no sign specifically on Oosterdam.

I think it's rude to somehow think that walking is superior to jogging, so joggers should be relegated to treadmills, as dockman writes. I think both joggers and walkers are guilty of wearing headphones and thus not being aware of other people sharing the same space, and in both instances I would consider that rude, also. If they are listening at low volume and pay attention to other people, then I have no problem. The real gist of my post, and my strongest feeling, is that we should all just get along, as we are all doing the same basic thing: enjoying the sights, smells and (maybe) sounds of being in an amazing setting, while making our bodies healthier.

Who said walking is superior to jogging? That's just plain silly. I'm sure you can understand that there would be more walkers than joggers. Hal sets the rules, not its customers. There is a deck for joggers. No one said you have to use a treadmill. We should all get along. Respecting rules is a huge part of getting along.

I walk two hours a day minimium most every single day on cruises and have never had a single problem with being aware of my surroundings...in fact the problem is usually walking up behind two or three people walking abreast and them chatting away totally unaware of people trying to get past them. I usually just say a quick "beep beep" or "excuse me" and go by them. Not a big deal. Nobody is saying walking is "superior" to jogging but if the sign says NO JOGGING than it seems pretty clear to me that the ones who are out of line are the ones who think the rules don't apply to them.