Back from Oasis 5/23: helpful hints

...In the main dining room, on formal night, you will feel much more comfortable about fitting in with the crowd if the gentleman wore a suit and tie, and the ladies wore a formal dress. Even a New Years Eve sparkly formal attire would be perfect. But yes, there will be a few men with only a shirt and tie, and 1 man in a thousand will wear his best new jeans. But everyone will be looking at you if you do that, so if you don't like attention, at least wear a tie and slacks. But yes, you could do it and won't get kicked off the boat, because there are no clothing police, other than everyone else's eyes...

I have to say I find this interesting. In my opinion, it goes against a lot of what has been said here for, well, years... Makes me wonder what you chose to wear to Formal Night. *shrug*

Instead of doing this, I'm taking these new Bounty paper towels that has Dawn dish washing liquid fused into them. This way I have the soap and cloth to wash these and whatever else may need it.

I like that idea! I think I'd probably pack some in a ziploc bag so I wouldn't have to pack the whole roll. When I first saw an ad for those paper towels I didn't think very much of the idea, but that just goes to show you can learn something new every day.

Things may have changed in drydock, but when we sailed Oasis in 2013, here's the desk outlets:

P1040885.JPG

We did not have a problem charging: Kindle, two camera batteries, DW's phone (for games and pictures).

Here's the bathroom outlet (in the ceiling):

kD7sDcYHx7gAM4ErDyk8FRrxmqran3H3ohde1vy5wBw=w1312-h871

The outlet in the bathroom is a dual US and European outlet. No adaptors needed. It is mounted upside down in the soffit (ceiling) above the mirror. It was very slightly irritating to have the coiled cord on my razor keep pulling the plug out of the socket. This is because the socket is well worn, and doesn't hold the plug in very well. No big deal, I just used the razor with my right hand, and held the plug in with the other. I made a mental note to myself to bring a 3" long piece of Velcro so that I could secure the razor cord to the nearby shelving unit. Either that, or bring along a cordless razor. Charge it in the sleeping room, but use it cordless in the bathroom. In (at least) the ocean view balcony room, there is a small seating area with an illuminated (not too bright) makeup mirror, with outlet nearby, that you could plug your curling iron in so that you have two hands. The outlet that everyone is talking about in the room, on the countertop. I think it had three American-euro combo receptacles, one of which was being used by something. (TV or illuminated mirror? I don't recall.) But it's not configured appropriately to handle more than one electrical device that you may have, if it has a small transformer on the end of it, like a cell phone charger. I don't think a tri-tap would work too well.... although it might. I just wouldn't risk it. I am hoping someone can report back and let me know if a tri-tap that plugs directly into this thing will work. In the meantime, if you want to be safe and since, apparently, power strips are not allowed, I'd bring a short, lightweight extension cord that you can plug your tri-tap into, if you have a few electronics to charge. I didn't know about the one under the bed. Sounds like a cord would be handy for that one, if you plan on using it.

Karen,

I always wear a suit and tie on formal nights. I like getting dressed up. We also always get our pictures taken. I just made a mental note of my observations, because everyone, especially newbies, always ask.

12 years ago, I went to an off-Broadway production at the convention center. I was one of only a handful of men that wore a suit. So I guess times change, or maybe venues change with the times. That is why I made it a point to observe what people were wearing in the MDR. So I could give feedback as to the latest attire in the MDR on the Oasis in the Caribbean.

For me, I will continue to dress up. But to each his own.

While I was there in May, the time zones were the same in Ft Lauderdale, St Marteen, St Thomas, and the Bahamas. However, I would certainly check either in advance or onboard, because what if Ft Lauderale goes on or off Daylight Savings time? As far as I know, it's only us crazy Americans that do that with our clocks! And I don't know about Florida. I do know that a couple of states on the east coast don't change their clocks at all during the year. So yes, verify it from an official source, yourself for the specific dates that you plan on traveling.

• 1 month later...

The outlet in the bathroom is similar to the one on the desk. It is an ingenious design that is kinda like an adapter. You could plug your USA items into the outlet, or your European items into the exact same outlet. The outlet on the desk has room for two plugs, very similar to any given outlet in your USA house. Room for two plugs. However, the two recepticals are a bit too close together and one of them is very close to the surface of the countertop. So there really is not enough room to plug two of our modern electronics cords (with their big, transformer heads) into the side-by-side recepticals. That is why the extension cord with a tri-tip plugged in the end is so handy. It's not that you need a cord, it's that you need more room between the transformers on your electronics plugs. Instead of worrying about it, just plan to bring a small, lightweight extension cord and a tri-tip that you could plug into it, and test it with your electroincs so that you knowit will work... and then be comfortable and happy that you have all you'll need. I would not bring one of those heavy orange cords. I'd go for the lightest weight possible cord, such as those cheap white or brown ones. Happy Cruising!

Are you talking about the one in the bathroom being a Euro/US jack? I don't remember any standard American outlet in the bathrooms (meaning one that could perhaps be used for a curling iron). Was this done with dry dock?

Indeed, it's a combo unit, but will power a regular 120v charger. You also have to have the lights on in the bathroom for that outlet to be powered....

I don't know what was done at dry dock, except for them removing my favorite Viking Crown Lounge! As far as the outlets go: I plugged my USA Norelco shaver into the bathroom outlet. And a standard extension cord in the outlet over the vanity in our balcony cabin. (sleeping area.) Since you mentioned a curling iron, and I know you will use two hands to curl your hair, I would recommend bringing a 3"-6" piece of velcro, so that you can wrap it around the cord and a bathroom shelf bracket, so that the cord won't keep falling down. I had that happen with my shaver, because the outlet is getting worn, and the plug is overhead, facing the floor. So the heavy cord kept on falling out of the socket. If I had that piece of velcro, or even a shoestring, then I could secure it to the nearby shelf bracket so the cord wouldn't fall out of the ceiling. Unless you do something like that, you may end up holding your curler with one hand, and the cord with the other.

Instead of doing this, I'm taking these new Bounty paper towels that has Dawn dish washing liquid fused into them. This way I have the soap and cloth to wash these and whatever else may need it.

Thanks Bob!

Good to know, thanks!

Great tips. I assume they are the same for the Allure (eg. The outlets)

Yes, Allure is the same as Oasis as far as the outlets.

Edited by clarea

Thanks for the time zones help. I think I understand it now. Today (and in August when we sail), St. Maarten is the exact same time as Ft. Lauderdale, even though St. Maarten is in the Atlantic Time Zone which should be an hour ahead of EST. But we "Spring Forward" and they don't do that; thus for now we are the same clock time.

Edited by clawmachine

Thanks Bob!

Thanks for the idea. I will do that.

Since you mentioned a curling iron, and I know you will use two hands to curl your hair, I would recommend bringing a 3"-6" piece of velcro, so that you can wrap it around the cord and a bathroom shelf bracket, so that the cord won't keep falling down. I had that happen with my shaver, because the outlet is getting worn, and the plug is overhead, facing the floor. So the heavy cord kept on falling out of the socket. If I had that piece of velcro, or even a shoestring, then I could secure it to the nearby shelf bracket so the cord wouldn't fall out of the ceiling. Unless you do something like that, you may end up holding your curler with one hand, and the cord with the other.
According to the picture of that outlet in the bathroom, it is for electric shavers only. However, if curling irons are allowed, you could use the outlet at the vanity, and sit right in front of the mirror to curl your hair.

• 1 month later...
Are you talking about the one in the bathroom being a Euro/US jack? I don't remember any standard American outlet in the bathrooms (meaning one that could perhaps be used for a curling iron). Was this done with dry dock?

I've only been on the Oasis this one time, so I don't know what was done or not done in dry dock. But the outlets, including the one in the bathroom, are combo Auro/American outlets. You do not need an adapter for your USA curling iron. But if you need two hands to curl your hair with a curling iron:

Note: The plug in the bathroom hangs from the ceiling by the mirror. Our outlet was all worn out from repeated use. So the weight of a cord would cause the cord to fall out of the outlet. I needed one hand to hold the cord in place, and the other hand to hold my shaver. (No I don't have a curling iron. LOL.) I told myself that the next time I go on the Oasis, I would bring a small strip of velcro. I would use the velcro to temporarily tie my shaver cord to a part of the small shelving unit nearby the outlet. That way I would have both hands free and be more comfortable without holding a hand over my head the whole time.

Edited by Caribbean Allan