Food in Cabin Ban Reversed by NCL

johnlatte

[quote name='ColinIllinois']I like to eat in my room while I'm relaxing and playing on my laptop. Usually reading dumb questions on Cruise Critic.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I just always feel like your cabin is just a place to sleep for a few hours a night and that's it.

[quote name='pfm18']Fair enough. I just always feel like your cabin is just a place to sleep for a few hours a night and that's it.[/quote]

We're all different. That's what I love about cruises. Meeting so many varied personalities. :)

[quote name='ColinIllinois']We're all different. That's what I love about cruises. Meeting so many varied personalities. :)[/QUOTE]

Without a doubt, cannot wait to said the Jade in a few days :)

[quote name='pfm18']You surely weren't actually going to cancel a cruise over this? Surely not.

:eek:[/QUOTE]

Indeed I was.

(Not wanting to weigh down this thread my personal concerns, and I've posted about this before in some of the other threads about the newly proposed (and now abandoned) policy, but my issue was specific and had more to do with travelling with my disabled daughter, and, even if an exception is made for us (as some thought it would be), not wanting to have to fight with food police and other guests asking "why does he get to . . ." questions.)

It seems NCL has recognized that you can't bully though all changes . What is amusing is that they had to put in the excuse that this wasn't about pushing people to pay for room service.
[I]"Stuart said the idea behind the ban on restaurant food going back to the room was never about revenue, but rather about cleaning up the corridors and improving the passenger experience."
[/I]
Baloney!.:rolleyes:

[quote name='ravenjls']Thank You NCL...I am now even more excited about my upcoming Alaskian cruise. I can live without free room service but to say no food on my balcony when I plan to spend A LOT of time out there was a real deal breaker!!![/QUOTE]I can't tell whether you are being sarcastic or not . You can't really be thanking NCL can you ? :eek:

[quote name='swimmingotter']The reversal of the cabin food ban is fine. However, the food and plates in the hallways are a real eyesore and are frankly disgusting. What is so bad about stacking empty plates in one's cabin?[/QUOTE]

AGREE!! I don't understand why people think it's okay to showcase their half eaten food outside for everyone to see. Disgusting!

[quote name='sixesandeights']Can't wait for the people that said we were wasting our breath complaining about this to come and eat crow and apologize to the rest of us.....this is a major win for the customer. Way to fight the good fight people.

6&8[/QUOTE]

LOL BRAVO! Well said. We stuck together and we got it done. That is the power people have when they stick together. Hooray for us yeah! To all you cheerleaders who said we were wasting our time, in your face! :p:p:p

Hurrah. Yes we enjoy coffee and Danish plus some snacks on balcony. We have never ordered other food.

I agree that I don't like to see a lot of dirty dishes in the hall and I do think that they could be picked up more often. I am more than willing to leave things in the cabin and often do however, we have been told more than once by our cabin steward to put the trays etc in the hall. The explanation was that they do not have room on their carts to pick up all the dirty dishes. I was given the impression that "somebody else" was responsible for policing the halls. Fully agree that a consistent policy should be made clear to all

[quote name='sparks1093']Good, but the whole thing still leaves a bad taste in the mouth.[/QUOTE]

Agree the timing to coincide with the $7.95 room service charge cancels out the NCL stated explanation of keeping hallways clear as the reason for the ban in my book. I hope they learned a valuable lesson that an informed and knowledgeable customer will and can see through a smoke screen.

"Stuart said the ban came about after new Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings CEO Frank Del Rio toured one of the ships and observed piles of dishes and trays lining corridors and passenger spilling food on their way back to their cabins."

So Andy threw FDR under the bus, huh? And if this statement is true, it tells me everything I need to know about how FDR sees NCL. Knee-jerk reaction? Taking the "Freestyle" out of "Freestyle Crusing" without a second thought.

So I wonder if O'Sheehans is allowed to do "to go" orders again now. Edited by Txfeenix
Can't spell

[FONT="Times New Roman"][FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Purple"][FONT="Georgia"][FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Purple"][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]But I will not let this quote from his pc go untouched:

"The number [of people] who booked during this time period, with a much more inclusive product than ever before, is astounding,"

Uhm, that's because when I wanted to book, I couldn't opt out of the UBP when booking our suite...[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

We returned from the Jade's Adriatic cruise a week ago. Had a great time!

We like to go out to eat, not eat in our cabin, however, one day we had an early tour, 7:30. The first one of us finished showering and dressed would run up to the buffet, one deck up and get breakfast, cereal/yogurt/eggs/toast/bacon and bring it back to the cabin to share. We already had coffee in the room.

We didn't think of ordering room service because we knew it would be busy because of the early arrival in Athens. We are fit enough to climb one fight of stairs and get our own food.

Another time we took some snacks from the buffet to eat on our balcony while enjoying a glass of wine. No one said boo to us about taking a plate from the buffet. Nothing was posted anywhere about removing plates from the buffet. I didn't hear anything until I got home and saw the brouhaha here on CC.

We leave dirty glasses, (from the bar), and dishes in our cabin. The cabin is serviced twice a day. Our room steward took great care of the room and us. I never saw a dirty dish or glass in the hall the entire cruise.

It's good this silly rule wasn't really put into play.

When you order room service on HAL, there is a small "tent" card on the tray asking you to call Room Service when done to have your tray picked up. They ask you not to place trays in the hallways. It must work because we never saw trays or any food/beverages in the hallways.

[quote name='Dorhead1230']Thanks for sharing! It is good to see that they responded to the widespread dissatisfaction and concerns about this policy and were willing to reverse it. Now I won't have to bust out some MC Hammer pants and evasive maneuvers to get snacks for my balcony from the buffet :p.[/QUOTE]

You mean they won't be coming back in style now?
[quietly puts hammer pants back in storage]
:D

[quote name='sixesandeights']Can't wait for the people that said we were wasting our breath complaining about this to come and eat crow and apologize to the rest of us.....this is a major win for the customer. Way to fight the good fight people.

6&8[/QUOTE]

I looked and looked at the room service menu, but there wasn't any crow. My guess is the cheerleaders will never admit that the policy was a mistake; they'll say Del Rio and Stuart intended only to "raise awareness" about messes in the hallways all along. :rolleyes: Edited by CavalierX

"So instead of banning food, Norwegian will have more frequent inspections of the corridors so dishes get removed quickly."

Gee, you would have thought they would have tried that first. Or just tell people not leave your food and plates in the hallway:rolleyes:

[quote name='legion3']Excellent, where is... who said... "Sorry Norwegian has their own system and does not implement yours lol "...:cool:

Top notch!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Please don't call the peeper in here!!