Food in Cabin Ban Reversed by NCL

johnlatte

Thank You NCL...I am now even more excited about my upcoming Alaskian cruise. I can live without free room service but to say no food on my balcony when I plan to spend A LOT of time out there was a real deal breaker!!!

We just returned from our Getaway cruise and never saw trays of food in the hallways. But the interesting thing is, I'm sure 90% of people onboard knew nothing about the new policy since I never saw it posted or mentioned the entire week. Sure would like to know what ship fdr was on. :confused:

Never under-estimate the influence of social media, FB & Twitter, along with CC - now, the friends & supporters of NCL along with the informational officers can take it for a positive spin.

Cheers for A. Stuart to take it, admit the mistakes since he's well paid as the point person. Management by blunders is not the way to go - better training, supervision and communications are - onward to undo the stains & damages.

Congratulations!

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-reverses-ban-on-taking-food-to-cabins

"We picked the wrong solution" - Andy Stuart COO. NCL

Thanks for sharing! It is good to see that they responded to the widespread dissatisfaction and concerns about this policy and were willing to reverse it. Now I won't have to bust out some MC Hammer pants and evasive maneuvers to get snacks for my balcony from the buffet :p.

Sure would like to know what ship fdr was on. :confused:

Could have been ANY cruise ship and ANY line. It has always been a pet peave about cruises (but it don't stop me), trays , plates and cups in hallways and all about the deck for sometimes longer than I would think warrents. But I am very happy to be able to bring food back to my stateroom if I wish too.

As far as some sort of cover charge or service fee.

I will say from experience, when RCCL started charging a cover for Johnny Rockets, the pool deck became a much cleaner place to be. Still had stuff from the buffet obviously, but Johnny Rockets had the burgers wrapped in foil or paper, it would fly all over the place in the wind and prior to the cover a lot of partial shakes were left everywhere.

Also on NCL... How often you see a full pizza with only one or two slices eaten left in the halls. I see them, though not nearly as much as i used too.

This is good news. Although we don't take food to our cabin except for maybe coffee and danish. Still we would like the option to do so in case someone's not feeling up to going out.

Getaway in a few weeks - can't wait

The reversal of the cabin food ban is fine. However, the food and plates in the hallways are a real eyesore and are frankly disgusting. What is so bad about stacking empty plates in one's cabin?

Edited by swimmingotter

The reversal of the cabin food ban is fine. However, the food and plates in the hallways are a real eyesore and are frankly disgusting. What is so bad about stacking empty plates in one's cabin?

and if people insist on leaving their plates in the hall way, you can expect the policy to be reversed again. I am not one who brings food to the cabin, except, as some have said, coffee and maybe a sweet roll. If we do eat in the cabin we never put our trays in the hall.

I am glad NCL changed their minds. I know it makes a lot of people happy. It is sorta like years ago, when Carnival said no bringing soda on the ship.That lasted about a week or so.

NCL - 0

Cruise Critic - 1

Dare we go after the $7.95? or will that even the score 1-1 ?

They might not have reversed the $7.95 but continental breakfast is still complimentary via room service and a lot of people here were very upset about that one! ;)

I think that the problem is no clear direction from NCL as to what to do with the plates after you are done. If NCL would just notify people when they board about what to do with used plates/cutlery and glasses, then I think the problem would be resolved. I can think of several reasonable options:

Leave them in your cabin for the cabin steward to pick up.

Phone room service for free pickup.

Have the halls walked frequently for pickup.

To me this should be a fairly simple problem to resolve.