Cheap European airfares

CathyCruises

Just wanted to share my experience on Norwegian Air Shuttle.

We embarked on the Silhouette TA on April 19 without any return air arrangements. Tootled around in France for a couple of weeks post cruise, then headed to London and Edinburgh to visit cruise friends. We ended up flying home today from Oslo on Norwegian; it was $639 total for the two of us nonstop to Oakland, and that included a surcharge package that provided seat reservations, two meals each onboard, and checked baggage. This was booked two weeks before departure. It was WAY cheaper than anything else we looked at.

Their fleet consists mostly of new 787 Dreamliners and the flight was great. Only took 9 hours! Very smooth, every seat has a monitor with movies, games, etc at no additional charge, really was one of our best transatlantic flights ever. The only caveat is that a la carte food items are pricey if ordered separately.

You can fly from a variety of European cities. Definitely worth checking out next time you're looking for airfare. It may not show up on certain travel sites, which is why I wanted to share the info.

Happy Travels!

Thanks for sharing your experience. Living in the SF Bay Area, I'm aware of Norwegian's presence. I can't believe the price you paid. Even at $639 per person it would have been a bargain. I know they also have a Premium Economy product that is sort of like a U.S. domestic business class....do you remember what they were charging for that service with two weeks advance?

And how full was your flight in the economy section?

Thanks for sharing your experience. Living in the SF Bay Area, I'm aware of Norwegian's presence. I can't believe the price you paid. Even at $639 per person it would have been a bargain. I know they also have a Premium Economy product that is sort of like a U.S. domestic business class....do you remember what they were charging for that service with two weeks advance?

And how full was your flight in the economy section?

Well I know I could have upgraded to premium for $557 add to, not sure if that was pp but I assume so.

I'd say the flight was 80% full. We had the middle three seats for the two of us which was great. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

We embarked on the Silhouette TA on April 19 without any return air arrangements. Tootled around in France for a couple of weeks post cruise, then headed to London and Edinburgh to visit cruise friends. We ended up flying home today from Oslo on Norwegian; it was $639 total for the two of us nonstop to Oakland, and that included a surcharge package that provided seat reservations, two meals each onboard, and checked baggage. This was booked two weeks before departure. It was WAY cheaper than anything else we looked at.

Their fleet consists mostly of new 787 Dreamliners and the flight was great. Only took 9 hours! Very smooth, every seat has a monitor with movies, games, etc at no additional charge, really was one of our best transatlantic flights ever. The only caveat is that a la carte food items are pricey if ordered separately.

You can fly from a variety of European cities. Definitely worth checking out next time you're looking for airfare. It may not show up on certain travel sites, which is why I wanted to share the info.

Happy Travels!

Thanks for the info .We book marked the Norwegian airlines web site for future reference :D

Party pooper! Oh btw we met some girls in Oslo from your neck of the woods, Peterborough?

I am not a pooper !

Just did not want other people to waste their time check if they were fly to or from Canada

Beside I want a cheap flight to California or Atlanta !

I am not a pooper !

Just did not want other people to waste their time check if they were fly to or from Canada

Beside I want a cheap flight to California or Atlanta !

I appreciated it. Saved me telling DH about the wonderful fare and him getting annoyed because we couldn't match it. At least we have AirTransat, cheap for one ways but not particularly comfortable.

Sheila

I flew Norwegian last year Fort Lauderdale to London Gatwick for approx £200 after a transatlantic cruise. Good value for a one way flight. But on that route they only fly on 2 days, but for a one way flight from US to UK very useful. From November 2015 they will be offering a twice weekly service London to Puerto Rico for under £200.

I appreciated it. Saved me telling DH about the wonderful fare and him getting annoyed because we couldn't match it. At least we have AirTransat, cheap for one ways but not particularly comfortable.

Sheila

Air transat was way better then KLM !

I do not mind AT seats

I flew Norwegian last year Fort Lauderdale to London Gatwick for approx £200 after a transatlantic cruise. Good value for a one way flight. But on that route they only fly on 2 days, but for a one way flight from US to UK very useful. From November 2015 they will be offering a twice weekly service London to Puerto Rico for under £200.

Yes, that's a good point. It's not a full schedule. For our purposes, I just picked a day that had the lowest fares since we weren't on a time sensitive trip. If you needed to fly on a specific day it may not work. But if you have flexibility it's a great option.

I recently flew Air Transat club class (premium economy ) from Barcelona to Toronto after the Equinox TA. Fabulous! Loved everything about it. Sure, a lot more than an economy seat and you better book them early, because there were only 12 on the plane, but I'd do it again. Money's not everything!

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Travels!

Wow, we were on that cruise with you and did the B2B. We booked Choice Air from Amsterdam to SFO on KLM and the cost was $1500 for 2 of us. I tried to find something to Oakland but all were so expensive. I will take a look at Norwegian going forward.

I never wrote down the FB information that you said you would "approve" me as a member when we talked. If you have a chance would you email me the information? I don't know how to use FB but can occasionally check to see if you or Mark or anyone finds a great bargain cruise...or flight. Lftmarjen@aol.com

Jennifer

Airfare even on the major lines seems to have dropped recently however my particular cruise went up if you were trying to book it now. So I paid higher air and lower cruise and came out about the same as today. It is always a gamble...

When I don't have my heart set on an itinary or cabin, I find booking after final payment pretty good.

Air fares are down a little.

We just booked late August Air Transat one way Toronto-Athens and an October one way (multicity ticket) Paris -Calgary for $885 CAD all taxes in. Both non stop. OK fare. Alas, no club seat available.

Edited by iancal

• 2 weeks later...

As so many U.S. carriers have merged, we'll be so thankful for airlines like Norwegian Air Shuttle. Hopefully they'll keep the larger air carriers more competitive in rates and service in the future. We're flying for $387 each way from Orlando, or about half the Summer airfares to Europe.

We're going into Copenhagen 8/25/2015 for a Baltic Cruise on Norwegian. We originally wanted to fly into Australia and do a cruise over to New Zealand, but the airfares were just outrageous. We're certainly not suffering going to our backup destination.

We're also flying Norwegian Air Shuttle over to Oslo for $71 and taking the Norway in a Nutshell train/ferry over to Bergen. The airfare's a so much better bargain than the train trip.