Ok. So whats improved for the non suite traveller?

kevinyork

We are on Eclipse next month, our fourth time. We have enjoyed each cruise on her and no doubt will enjoy our next one. But, it got me thinking. What improvements will we see as a regular balcony cabin passenger?

MDR menus will be identical

Some MDR space will have been lost to the Suite Dining Room

Speciality Restaurants will have increased in price ( including Bistro on 5, possible at $5, a maybe at $7, a no no at $10)

Drinks have increased in price and so have drinks packages,

Everything else will be the same, I hope.

Celebrity seem to be fauning over Suite passengers ( ok they pay a lot for their privelages) but 95% of passengers are not suite guests and fill the ships.

We are looking forward to our cruise next month but if its just the same experience, but chipped away at by higher charges or areas we are not allowed into then perhaps we need to look elsewhere next time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As you say, few suite guests and they do not really take that much space. The only areas they have are Michael's club and Luminae.

As return cruisers what have you planned to make this trip more special than the last one? Each cruise we try to do something we have not done before. In October it was a dining package next year I am determined to do a comedy show (always mean to go but never get there!). We almost always cruise celebrity which does mean we have the pleasure of a known product but unless you plan to do something different you can feel it is 'just the same' both positively and negatively.

Changes for our next cruise by Celebrity will include the new gastro pub and the new replacement for the Molecular bar. What will make it special for us is what we decide to do!

We just book regular balcony too so don't receive any of the suite perks. However, we book far enough ahead to get a good price, have a wonderful balcony to enjoy arrival and departure from the different ports and since we don't cruise generally more than once a year, the menus in the MDR are different for us. We don't tend to order the same thing every night so it's always something different and new. Also, for our next three cruises, as it was for our last one, we have the drink package as a perk so that's new and something that we'll def enjoy each day...def wouldn't pay for it but certainly appreciated!! Also, I can pre-order OBC and get a much better conversion rate with Celebrity than with my local bank so that helps for the Specialty dining that we do at least once per cruise. Definitely good value as far as we're concerned and we don't feel left out at all when it comes to the suites and their perks.

As I've been saying for quite some time Celebrity's strategy is now based on attracting higher margin (Suite) passengers. Since space on the ship is limited when it is given to one group, it's taken from another. Michael's Club is one example although it's been a real plus for Celebrity in attracting the highest margin passengers. I've met many, and they have posted on this board, that they will not book a cruise unless they can book a Celebrity Suite or higher. They carved out space from the MDR to eliminate insides and ocean view cabins. Luminae and from reports it has been very well received. The "average" passenger is correct to complain, but the a shift is taking place and at least from Celebrity's standpoint, it is working. I hear from several sources, including some Captains that the new builds will significantly increase the numbers of Suites and will eliminate inside and oceanview cabins as these are low margin and does not attract the customer that Celebrity is targeting. We'll see if this is true once the final plans are released.

The biggest change for the non Suite passenger was the significant changers in the Loyalty program with the additional of 2 new levels and increased benefits.

I see most mainstream lines adopting the same type of strategy as they attempt to move up in classification from "mainstream" to "premium". Things always change and cruising is not an exception. Some will love and embrace the changes. Others will move their vacation dollars from cruising to alternative choices. Just do a quick review of threads on Cruise Critic and you'll clearly see the divide.

However, the great staff and crew remains to give fantastic service.

Edited by Orator

I can see the new builds possibly eliminating ocean view cabins but not inside cabins. There seems to be a lot of interior areas that could be used for inside cabins that would be booked in conjunction with balcony or above.

I have also been wondering what the time in dry dock meant for us regular folks.

I've seen the TV shows where they strip out carpeting and change out light fixtures -- freshening up things and improving the look of the ship.

So, will non-suite passengers see some new and improved decor?

I can see the new builds possibly eliminating ocean view cabins but not inside cabins. There seems to be a lot of interior areas that could be used for inside cabins that would be booked in conjunction with balcony or above.

I was reading on the HAL boards about the alteration on a Princess ship.

On the island princess, the excercise area was moved to an inside location. Can you imagine the wonderful view from the treadmill replaced by premium cabins while one can excercie in a view less area?

As you say, few suite guests and they do not really take that much space. The only areas they have are Michael's club and Luminae.

As return cruisers what have you planned to make this trip more special than the last one? Each cruise we try to do something we have not done before. In October it was a dining package next year I am determined to do a comedy show (always mean to go but never get there!). We almost always cruise celebrity which does mean we have the pleasure of a known product but unless you plan to do something different you can feel it is 'just the same' both positively and negatively.

Changes for our next cruise by Celebrity will include the new gastro pub and the new replacement for the Molecular bar. What will make it special for us is what we decide to do!

Love your positive attitude!!

The areas for the common folks will have less passengers because those in the suites will be in their private area. :rolleyes: This will help during embarkation as it will eliminate a few more in the buffet. 🐗

happy cruising 🌊🇺🇸🌞

I hear from several sources, including some Captains that the new builds will significantly increase the numbers of Suites and will eliminate inside and oceanview cabins as these are low margin and does not attract the customer that Celebrity is targeting.

And I repeat what I said on the other thread when when you spoke of this change, will it not lead to suite pax having to be in larger areas with more congestion if there are more suites? This would presumably result in more noise, wait times etc. and a larger Luminae dining room if there are more pax in the 'suite' areas? Surely that's one of the reasons suite pax prefer the 'special' smaller, quieter places/touches and that is what they pay extra for (together with the extra cabin space), not to have to wait in queues, dine in crowded noisy areas because suddenly there are several 100 more pax just the same as them. They may as well go to an 'up market' brand where all are treated as suite guests. However, on the other hand, it could be a bonus for the regular CC & balcony MDR user, especially if it's a smaller and more intimate environment on the new build to accommodate fewer pax ;).

I am not aware of any improvements for 95% of the passengers and am well aware that Celebrity are concentrating on enhancements and inducements for the other 5%.

But as long as things do not decline for me (one of the 95%) before my next cruise in October then I will remain happy.

I just hope that as a company they do not forget that a massive proportion of their guests are not suite passengers. I am confused as to how they believe that suite passengers will spend more whilst on board. The perks included in the price of certain suites include drink packages, unlimited speciality dining, mini bar, unlimited internet, etc. When booking a suite there is usually a better OBC offered so that will cover excursions, spa etc. Adding more suites in the future may not attract more suite passengers as possibly one of the attractions is being in the top 5%.

It would be a great idea if one of their new builds was Suites only. Then they can have another ship for regular folk...less like a class system.