pizza

ronl

I appreciate that (about the meats).

As to your question, unfortunately I'm going in 6 weeks so unfortunately can't cancel. HOWEVER I did just call Princess to tell them how upset I was about their substandard toppings and told them I felt cheated from the $10 a day worth of pizza I would now NOT be eating on my 2-week cruise. They gave me $150 on-board credit. So yeah, I guess in that way I still AM in my cancellation period.

A topping credit? :cool:

Ah. There are none so blind as those who will not "sea".

Take a look at which pie is #1.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2013/11/30/best-pizza-in-america/3785309/

It is indeed a perfect pie.

Yes, New Haven pizzerias take 3 of the Top 11 spots. If you want to refine your taste in "abeetz", you have to make a pilgrimage to the pizza mecca....And try the clam pie.

Thanks for the post and the link. My son and I dug some 300 Manila and butter clams the weekend before last. We ate about half of them at dinner and froze the rest....now I have a use for the rest of them besides chowder.

Sorry but since Mr. Bovino rated a Brussels Sprouts pizza as #9, he has no credibility with me & didn't waste my time reading "his" opinion about what is "mo bettah". :p

Grazie for your recommendation to make a pilgrimage to the pizza mecca to refine my taste "abeetz" but will have to decline your suggestion. ;)

Whether it's coffee, wine, pizza or anything else...taste is subjective & despite "expert" opinions I don't always agree with them. :)

You would be hard-pressed to find a single list of "Best Pizzas" that does not have Pepe's White Clam pizza on it. You can discount all the experts, but in the end, who is better off for it?

http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/best-pizza-places-in-the-us#!slide=21

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/101-best-pizzas-in-america-2014/ss-BBgTwOU#image=102

From "The Daily Meal":

Pizza is arguably our most varied and beloved culinary genre, one whose followers are some of the most opinionated, and yet it remains one of the most accessible foods there is. Even the country’s most expensive, remote, and esteemed pizza temple is within reach of the average person’s budget. Every red-blooded American, rich and poor, grew up with his or her preferred regional style of this national fascination, knowing it as the best. Today, there’s better pizza and more knowledge about it and interest in it everywhere. That accessibility and loyalty makes for some tremendously spirited debate.

For many pizza aficionados, however, there is no debate.

"There are only three pizza places on the planet: Sally's, Pepe, and Modern, all in New Haven,” confided director Gorman Bechard, who is working on a pizza documentary Pizza, A Love Story. “People have dragged me to pizza joints all over the country and all it does is leave me with a horrible sadness and a feeling of pity for these poor people who really have no clue as to what amazing pizza is."

Bechard is not alone in his passion for New Haven-style pizza. Frank Pepe topped The Daily Meal’s 2013 list of America’s best pizzas, and nobody will be shocked to find five New Haven pizzerias on the 2014 list. But his passion is echoed everywhere. Last year’s list generated hundreds of comments (“What did they do, slip a hundred dollar bill under the pizza slice you ate?” asked one infuriated reader) and suggestions for candidates from everywhere imaginable.

From America's foremost authorities on "Roadfood":

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Review/318-318/pepes-pizzeria-napoletana

Princess pizza is what we are talking about, we are way off topic now. :eek:

I don't recall your earlier post saying that "fish does not belong on a Princess pizza". It seemed more general than that. Hence the rebuttal that the single best pizza in the country in fact is topped with seafood. But if you want to amend your earlier post and limit it to Princess, I am fine with that.

Edited by JimmyVWine

I don't recall your earlier post saying that "fish does not belong on a Princess pizza". It seemed more general than that. Hence the rebuttal that the single best pizza in the country in fact is topped with seafood. But if you want to amend your earlier post and limit it to Princess, I am fine with that.

No.

I thought the Tarantino (is that right?) pizza, the one with clams & mussels, was outstanding. And I can totally imagine brussels sprouts on a pizza -- yum.

Those who want only meat on their pizza are missing out. Kind of surprising, really. But then, someone is keeping Papajohn's and Domino's in business . . . it certainly isn't me.

OK then. If your post is not limited to Princess, then you can't accuse my rebuttal as being off topic.

Oh dear, you are confusing the issue with the facts....we will not have any of that on this kind of thread. Where is the mod when you need them.

I agree there are tons of good pizzas out there, I will say the best I have had was in Napoli on a stop with the Regal.

http://damichele.net/

I lived in Naples, Italy for two years up in the northeast section of Capodichino by the airport. One of the great highlights I remember was on our weekends off catching the local bus and going downtown, doing some sightseeing, and eating authentic Neapolitan Margherita Pizza made with just tomato, sliced mozzarella, and drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil. Simple, and oh so delicious.

As for the pizzas at Alfredo's on Royal Princess - I really enjoyed them. A lot. Ate there several times, trying two different types of pizza (see pictures below), and both were excellent. The pizza up at Prego on the Lido Deck was fine, sort of your average by-the-slice fairgrounds-style pizza. Nothing special, but again, it was simple and tasty. But it does seem to be hit or miss, as the year prior the pizza I had at Prego was akin to tomato paste covered cardboard. One bite and the rest went in the trash. And my first ever experience with Princess Cruises pizza on Sun Princess at Verdi's was one of the best ever on a ship.

Princess Cruises seems to do pizza best out of the three cruise lines (RCI, Celebrity Cruises, and Princess Cruises) I've been on most recently. But it just doesn't compare to some of the land-based pizza I've had, even from the local pizza shop here in small-town West Virginia.

But it is what it is, and for the most part, preferred pizza styles and toppings are as subjective in someone's personal opinion as beer, movies, cars, shoes, soda, etc.

:D

From Alfredo's on Royal Princess

11295750385_83503d7896_c.jpg

11347563283_5d71156782_c.jpg

My son and I dug some 300 Manila and butter clams the weekend before last.

I presume this happened not in Arizona?

Bacon is as far as I will goI've seen ads for a deep dish wrapped in bacon. It looks good but i'll have to pass as my Doctor would disown me.

BTW...none of these pizza posts are off-topic if Princess reads them & adopts our suggestions.

To tell you the truth I have never noticed they didn't have it. It may just come down to capacity they seem to have the two standbys daily, a peperoni pie and a cheese pie then one specialty one each day. In balance I rather enjoy Princess's pizza.

Agreed. Princess IMHO does Pizza better than anyone else. I always enjoy the variety of specialty offerings while my DW is very fond of the cheese pizza.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Gaaak.

Well it has been a while sinse I was there so maybe my memory and/or taste buds are faulty........?

Dave, pineapple yes, ham no.

You need to try the pizza at one of the Alfredo's.

Come on over to the "dark side", we have pizza with ham and it is a good thing.

Yep. Gotta go with Dave on that one.:cool:

Alfredo's was excellent on the Regal, btw.

Edited by ar1950

Since the history of pizza was mentioned, I found this on the History website which confirms what I learned growing up Italian.

http://www.history.com/news/hungry-history/a-slice-of-history-pizza-through-the-ages

Naples to America at the beginning of the 20th century & popularized by GI's returning from WWII is a very brief summary of pizza's evolution. However that's much less interesting to me than enjoying all types of pizza...guess I'll have pizza for dinner? :)

Just some more history on pizza. By the way I had the best eggplant pizza in Geata.

When I could eat shell fish I loved clam pizza!

I can't say that I have ever had one but would love to try one particularly if it had white sauce and a mild cheese that wouldn't mask the taste of the clams.

I'm not that keen on deep pan pizza. Is the pizza at Alfredo's thin and crispy? Does anyone have copy of the menu for Alfredo? We are on Royal Princess in August so plan to visit at least once.

It was when we had it on the Regal. Not super crispy, but, thiner and more crispy than the pizza served up on the Lido.

I'm not that keen on deep pan pizza. Is the pizza at Alfredo's thin and crispy? Does anyone have copy of the menu for Alfredo? We are on Royal Princess in August so plan to visit at least once.

Here's a link to Alfredo's Pizzeria's menu (the expanded menu only on the Royal and Regal...only pizza, dessert & drinks on Sapphire & Grand) and in post #60 of this thread 'dmwnc1959' posted a couple of photos:

http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/rp-alfredos_pizzeria-23-may-13.pdf

I've enjoyed these pizzas manys times & it has been a thin and crispy crust.

It was when we had it on the Regal. Not super crispy, but, thiner and more crispy than the pizza served up on the Lido.

That's been my experience & they're hot from the oven! :D

One of the things I don't like about the Lido deck pizza is if it's been sitting around for a while it's not as enjoyable. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer