Newbie needs answers re: Formal Nights

Frogemax

If it is that bothersome what others wear then the one's who are bothered might take some responsibility for their own emotions and eat somewhere else because life on a cruise ship is just to rough to bear.....but these 'WSIWOFN" are pretty amusing......:):D

Or in my case start looking at Cunard. Their non-formal nights are like most ships formal nights.

Men a suit jacket. Ladies Cocktail dresses or stylish seperates. Formal nights Evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies. *A tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit with appropriate neck wear for men or you may wear formal national dress and military dress uniform.

After 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim sandals and sleeveless tops are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests. And the rules are enforced.

Even though most cruise lines do not keep to the traditions like Cunard does most everyone does make an effort to dress up more than other nights. I would say most fall in the suit and tie range or at least a dinner jacket. Myself being a truck driver or lorrie driver. I don't get to dress up often so I look forward to Formal nights so I can break out my Tuxedo and the DW her gowns.

If it is that bothersome what others wear then the one's who are bothered might take some responsibility for their own emotions and eat somewhere else because life on a cruise ship is just to rough to bear.....but these 'WSIWOFN" are pretty amusing......:):D

Next time you and yours decide to have a special evening out [back home] feel free to ignore the sign at the restaurant door that reminds patrons that shirt and shoes are required ;).

You seem to be implying that it wouldn't create a wrinkle in your special evening out should some free spirited and non conforming couple sit at the table next to yours wearing shabby jeans, souvenir t-shirts and sneakers. They are after all wearing shirts and shoes and technically they are doing what the sign requests but ................ :rolleyes:.

Pardon the extreme example above because I think your casual attire is probably very nice. I'm also pretty sure that you likely own a very nice dark suit that shouldn't be too hard to bring along on your next cruise ;). I'm all done in this topic, let's stop throwing rocks :).

People here express their opinions, however they differ. Why is that so bothersome?

The vocal minority with an agenda can't help themselves. They must opine. But of course, for at least one of them, it's a choice. Lol

We all seem to notice that you are the first of that vocal minority with an agenda to opine to post on ant duscussion on dress of others. And you are right it is your choice.

It's not me who wants it is your host who requests it, a host who s too polite to turn you away, but still rude of you all the same to ignore your hosts request.

But then I guess that I am old fashioned and was bought up to respect others.

Here here! I totally agree. As far as Husky's comment about cost of the cruise, so what. Paying a high price does not entitle one to ignore rules. IMHO.

Next time you and yours decide to have a special evening out [back home] feel free to ignore the sign at the restaurant door that reminds patrons that shirt and shoes are required ;).

You seem to be implying that it wouldn't create a wrinkle in your special evening out should some free spirited and non conforming couple sit at the table next to yours wearing shabby jeans, souvenir t-shirts and sneakers. They are after all wearing shirts and shoes and technically they are doing what the sign requests but ................ :rolleyes:.

Pardon the extreme example above because I think your casual attire is probably very nice. I'm also pretty sure that you likely own a very nice dark suit that shouldn't be too hard to bring along on your next cruise ;). I'm all done in this topic, let's stop throwing rocks :).

It would not bother me if they were naked......live and let live.....this subject always goes out of control but I never see anyone from CC confronting people in Princess' dining rooms on formal nights about their dress......dead horse!!!

I too have thought about Cunard. Have alot of nice clothes with little opportunity to wear them anymore. I wish the did some short cruises out of San Francisco

While it is true that most people dress nicely for formal dinners,it seems strange to be sitting in the theater wearing a tux while the guy next to me us in a t shirt and shorts.

Yes the cruise line does request it then says you can wear something else. What matters is what the cruise line permits and not what any one else wishes. Way to many people think they are in charge and can try to browbeat others into doing something or try to embarass them into eating somewhere else. I will continue to wear a long sleeve shirt, tie and nice pants to formal night dinners. If someone does not like it that is not my problem. I would kindly request they file a formal complaint with the cruise line. I doubt that will ever happen in a large enough group to change anything.

So please continue these inane posting when someone asks what to wear on a formal night. Telling others what to do on here or any other forum does nothing but give many a good laugh.

Don't hear you laughing. The OP got a lot of honest answers to her questions. This thread is not about you and your need to derail a thread when your agenda is not being discussed.

Hi, we are going on our first ever cruise, The Coral Princess, Panama Canal full transit on November 7th 2015 and I'm mega excited. We'll be celebrating our 30th Anniversary so want to push the boat out (no pun intended!)

Now, I can't wait to enjoy the three formal nights but how can I find out when they will be? Are they always on sea says? The reason I ask us because of booking salon sessions - would be great to be pampered before getting all glammed up but if we wait until we're on board won't the best slots be booked out?

Also, do people really get dressed to the nines or do the just 'make a bit more of an effort'?

Please advise this over excited newbie before my computer self combusts while I look for answers! Lol

Ruth in the UK x

Directly to the question, there is a range of dress that conforms to the MDR's dress code. So tuxes to a nice suit (my hubby doesn't bring a dark suit, but he does wear dress shirts under his nice jacket along with a tie) for men. I don't wear glitzy gowns but may wear a floor length silky one piece pants outfit or a little black dress or cocktail dress.

If we feel like skipping the formal dinner, we're absolutely fine with eating in the Horizon. Even though, afterwards we're not necessarily going back to our cabin but watch a show or listen to music.

Don't hear you laughing. The OP got a lot of honest answers to her questions. This thread is not about you and your need to derail a thread when your agenda is not being discussed.

Then you are not listening very well. Did not say it was about me BUT the agenda is about what the ship allows people to wear not what others demand they wear. The people who truly derail it each time are those who insist others meet there agenda and even demand respect for those insistence. That is what is so laughable about it. And most doing the demanding are from the same area of the country. So please listen a little better because I do laugh everytime their is a posting on formal nights.

Edited by Potstech

Formal Nights, Panama Canal, some information:

On formal nights about 25% of the passengers are in Tux and elegant dresses. Almost all other men are in suit and tie or sport coat and tie with women dressed in very nice outfits.

On Princess formal dress is only the code for the Main Dining Rooms. Dress on all nights including formal nights in the specialty restaurants is smart casual, although you will find many passengers in these restaurants in formal wear on the formal nights. Passengers that dine in the buffet or at the grill can dress in casual wear. Some passengers change from their 'formal' wear to casual wear after dining. It is hot in the Panama Canal. On formal nights and all nights you will find a mix of dress in the bars, lounges, and theater venues around the ship.

So very nice to know. DH will relax on next cruise and we will schedule Crown Grill for formal night when we do Emerald. Yes, will wear dress shirt but no tie. Will figure out Coral later. I certainly have enough time. :eek:

Thanks for the info.

So very nice to know. DH will relax on next cruise and we will schedule Crown Grill for formal night when we do Emerald. Yes, will wear dress shirt but no tie. Will figure out Coral later. I certainly have enough time. :eek:

Thanks for the info.

Robin, we'll be with you & Stan on that Emerald sailing. Recognized your name from the Roll Call.

We are also planning to book either Crown Grill or Sabatini's that formal night and he'll be wearing the same as Stan.

Roundman no longer takes his tuxedo. Dress is so much more relaxed now than it once was. ;)

We're looking forward to cruising with you! :D

LuLu

On our 7night Sea Princess cruise it was the 4th night. On our online account the system showed we were having 2 formal nights but once onboard it was only the one. Take advantage before and after dinner of the photography portraits on offer, they are very professional and the more you get done with the different photographers and different portrait backgrounds, the more likely you are to get some great pics. If people weren't going go traditional dining they didn't get dressed up but most men in the dining room had suit and tie/suit and bow tie, some had a tux but not many. Most ladies had cocktail wear rather than evening gowns. Take into account footwear as heels may not be a good idea if the cruise gets a bit rocky !

We will be on the Coral in less then 3 months. We are going to Alaska. DH and I love to dress for formal night. I am bringing with me my dress from sons wedding. Pretty dressy.

Excellent excuse to wear those dresses. I have worn MOB things several times.

• 7 months later...

I was the original poster way back in June last year! We went in November from FL to LA and it was the most amazing 15 night holiday I've ever had- to see so many amazing countries, experience so many wonders - a rain forest, a volcano, and of course the Panama Canal - was just incredible.

I loved the Coral Princess, not too big, but big enough to still get lost for the first few days. Had a problem with seasickness on one night but no big deal.

Met some wonderful people and will definitely cruise again. Really enjoyed meeting the people from our cc roll call - so much fun.

As far as formal nights- I never did get to the salon but we did dress to the nines and loved every bit of it. We now have some lovely memories and photos and will definitely dress up again next time.

Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way x

Edited by Frogemax