Newbie needs answers re: Formal Nights

Frogemax

I think it's such a shame, I don't mean that everyone has to be done up to the nines, but surely a little effort to 'dress up' for formal night isn't too much to ask.

I think it's sad that people can't join in or dine somewhere else on those particular evenings.

Why, they probably paid as much if not more for their cruise as you did. And you don't want them to dine in the same dining room as you?:confused:

I think it's such a shame, I don't mean that everyone has to be done up to the nines, but surely a little effort to 'dress up' for formal night isn't too much to ask.

I think it's sad that people can't join in or dine somewhere else on those particular evenings.

If we are dining in the MDR, we always dress up...but our last cruise had 4 formal nights, so one of them, we had dinner in the Crown Grill and dressed nicely but not formal, and it seemed others had the same idea.

DH brings his tux and I usually bring a long fancy black skirt or palazzo pants and several tops to go with it. It works out well! :D

This isn't the usual "do I have to dress up" thread. :) It's nice that you want to dress for formal night. As others have said, not every body goes "all out". I wear a nice, dark suit - sometimes with the vest and sometimes without. One thing you can be certain of: You won't be dressed "too formally" no matter what you decided to wear. I always seem men in tuxedos. I don't own a tux and don't want to rent one so I go with the nice suit but those in a tux certainly do look good and draw admiring glances from the ladies - and many of the men. A formal kilt is not amiss either!

I love a man in a formal kilt and suit jacket!

Husky61 I didn't say I want them to dine in the same dining room(?) and how much people pay is irrelevant. My point is that if you are on a 15 day cruise and there are 3 formal nights, then there will be 11 or 12 nights when smart casual is the order of the day then surely for the 3 formal nights it wouldn't hurt to comply or eat elsewhere for the enjoyment of those that do want to.

Edited by Frogemax

Why, they probably paid as much if not more for their cruise as you did. And you don't want them to dine in the same dining room as you?:confused:

Husky61 I didn't say I want them to dine in the same dining room(?) and how much people pay is irrelevant. My point is that if you are on a 15 day cruise and there are 3 formal nights, then there will be 11 or 12 nights when smart casual is the order of the day then surely for the 3 formal nights it wouldn't hurt to comply or eat elsewhere for the enjoyment of those that do want to.

As I said any thread with dress code or about Formal nights is a hot topic. And this is how the arguments start.

For your first cruise you certainly are opinionated about what others should wear or eat of FN....I would say wear what pleases you and the Princess staff will monitor the rest....this is a hot topic on CC an IMHO "formal nights" on Princess are a joke and people wear a wide variety of things....there is no gala ball that night and it certainly is not a Hollywood Red Carpet event nor will you even meet the Queen but it is more like a HS prom where people dress up to get their pictures taken usually.....:)

As a kid traveling with my parents on the original Queen Mary and Queen Elisabeth if you were in first class you dressed every night :eek:. A tie and jacket was expected at breakfast too. Perhaps because of those wonderful memories I still enjoy dressing for formal evenings :rolleyes:. Traditions change of course but to me an ocean transit or even a cruise to nowhere should be special and not just a propeller driven sea side resort experience. Ever noticed how much fun and how poised well dressed people are when they follow the dress code suggested for any formal function?

The problem in these times is packing for formal evenings, especially with all the extra charges for baggage airlines stick us with :(.

Enjoy the three formal nights on your upcoming anniversary voyage because sadly I think formal nights aboard a cruise ship are soon going to be just a long gone memory (just like the ones I have of being with people dressed in white tie and tails when I was a kid when sailing on the Mary and Elisabeth).

As for the canal portion of your cruise make sure you do one very slick thing. Get to the lowest place in the hull that has a window or porthole to see just how fast a big ship is raised or lowered once inside a lock :eek:. The concrete walls of each lock seem to literally fly by.

I've done the canal many times [both on private boats as well as huge liners] and every transit is still an adventure for me. You'll see ;).

Formal Nights, Panama Canal, some information:

On formal nights about 25% of the passengers are in Tux and elegant dresses. Almost all other men are in suit and tie or sport coat and tie with women dressed in very nice outfits.

On Princess formal dress is only the code for the Main Dining Rooms. Dress on all nights including formal nights in the specialty restaurants is smart casual, although you will find many passengers in these restaurants in formal wear on the formal nights. Passengers that dine in the buffet or at the grill can dress in casual wear. Some passengers change from their 'formal' wear to casual wear after dining. It is hot in the Panama Canal. On formal nights and all nights you will find a mix of dress in the bars, lounges, and theater venues around the ship.

Edited by sknight

As I'm sure others have said there is a range of clothing you will see. We were on the Coral this past Feb., and most men were is suits not formal. There will be multiple picture opportunities on formal nights so that might help you decide what to wear. We enjoyed the cruise as I have no doubt you will as well.

As I'm sure others have said there is a range of clothing you will see. We were on the Coral this past Feb., and most men were is suits not formal. There will be multiple picture opportunities on formal nights so that might help you decide what to wear. We enjoyed the cruise as I have no doubt you will as well.

My DH wears a tux on formal nights, but doesn't wear the bow tie and cummerbund that is usually worn with a tux. He wears a regular-type silk tie and a vest with the jacket. (he also wears pants ;)), so it does look a bit less formal, more "suit-like". After dinner, he usually takes off the tie and unbuttons his top shirt button, but remains in his tux. I happen to think that's a sexy look :). Less stuffy! ;)

Now if we were sailing on Cunard QM2, he would stay formally dressed throughout the evening, because that is what is expected on that line.

So how other passengers dress on a cruise dictate what enjoyment you will experience? And if they don't dress the way YOU want them to dress, they can eat somewhere else?:confused::rolleyes:

So Husky61 we get it you like to start problems. imho this thread was nice. people was giving their own opinions not forcing anyone to agree with them. Then you come along and start the downward spiral. If dissension is all you have to offer you might want to rethink your post. But it is a public forum. Hopefully people will see your name and ignore your baiting post.

So Husky61 we get it you like to start problems. imho this thread was nice. people was giving their own opinions not forcing anyone to agree with them. Then you come along and start the downward spiral. If dissension is all you have to offer you might want to rethink your post. But it is a public forum. Hopefully people will see your name and ignore your baiting post.

The vocal minority with an agenda can't help themselves. They must opine. But of course, for at least one of them, it's a choice. Lol

Husky61, you seem determined to read more into my comments than are intended whereas everyone else has been really helpful with there comments and stories extra. Therefore I won't bother with responding to you after this!

So how other passengers dress on a cruise dictate what enjoyment you will experience? And if they don't dress the way YOU want them to dress, they can eat somewhere else?:confused::rolleyes:

It's not me who wants it is your host who requests it, a host who s too polite to turn you away, but still rude of you all the same to ignore your hosts request.

But then I guess that I am old fashioned and was bought up to respect others.

It's not me who wants it is your host who requests it, a host who s too polite to turn you away, but still rude of you all the same to ignore your hosts request.

But then I guess that I am old fashioned and was bought up to respect others.

What he said :).

When you are home you can have dinner in overalls and revel in your independence but when your host, in this case a cruise line, requests a certain dress code the least one can and should do for those few formal evenings is to honor the request if you plan to dine in the MD.

You can and should choose a different venue for dinner on those few nights in respect for your fellow passengers that have made the effort to dress formally that evening. There are several lines that do not have formal nights anymore :rolleyes:.

While we're at it, make sure you and yours attend the port talk before going through the canal. The book, there are many, that's most quoted about the building of the canal and a good pre trip read as well is titled, 'A Man a Plan a Canal Panama (beat the port lecturer to the punch - the title of the book is a nice long palindrome ;).).

Yes the cruise line does request it then says you can wear something else. What matters is what the cruise line permits and not what any one else wishes. Way to many people think they are in charge and can try to browbeat others into doing something or try to embarass them into eating somewhere else. I will continue to wear a long sleeve shirt, tie and nice pants to formal night dinners. If someone does not like it that is not my problem. I would kindly request they file a formal complaint with the cruise line. I doubt that will ever happen in a large enough group to change anything.

So please continue these inane posting when someone asks what to wear on a formal night. Telling others what to do on here or any other forum does nothing but give many a good laugh.

What he said :).

When you are home you can have dinner in overalls and revel in your independence but when your host, in this case a cruise line, requests a certain dress code the least one can and should do for those few formal evenings is to honor the request if you plan to dine in the MD.

You can and should choose a different venue for dinner on those few nights in respect for your fellow passengers that have made the effort to dress formally that evening. There are several lines that do not have formal nights anymore :rolleyes:.

If it is that bothersome what others wear then the one's who are bothered might take some responsibility for their own emotions and eat somewhere else because life on a cruise ship is just to rough to bear.....but these 'WSIWOFN" are pretty amusing......:):D