Pocket Knives?

GrammieMame

We were on a Caribbean cruise a few years ago and my husband had a Swiss Army knife with a bunch of gadgets on it. It was in his carry on (we drove to the port) and it was confiscated on boarding the ship. Can he carry a pocket knife in checked luggage on Princess without having it taken?

I had a corkscrew taken from me boarding the ship. Nothing is consistent. Just like our TSA who failed 97% of the time they were inspected.

It wouldn't have been taken had you not carried it on. I carry a corkscrew every time, but always in checked luggage.

I have no problem with my corkscrew, which has a small knife for cutting foil, in my checked luggage.

My son took a couple of pocket knives in checked luggage a few years ago. One had a locking blade, and was confiscated by the crew leader of the 18-20 group. (My son was 18 at the time.) It was returned the last night of the cruise.

This past summer, my son's friend bought a knife in port that was confiscated when we returned to ship. I have bought small pocket knives previously with no issue, but this was a larger knife, maybe 4" blade. It was returned to him as we left the ship on the last day.

On an Alaskan cruise (in Ketchikan) we bought 3 small Ulu knives for gifts. Obviously we had to carry them on the ship. Security said 'we can take these away from you because you aren't supposed to have knives on the ship.' I think I just looked stunned and the security officer then added, 'but keep them in the original boxes and lock them in one of your empty suitcases.' So that's what we did.

Edited by capriccio

It wouldn't have been taken had you not carried it on. I carry a corkscrew every time, but always in checked luggage.

So, what is the difference if you carry it on, store it in your luggage or buy one on the ship? It is still a corkscrew. If it is considered a weapon, it is a weapon regardless of how it gets on the ship.

In fact, RCI gave me a wine pouch that would contain 2 bottles of wine with a corkscrew as a gift.

We were on a Caribbean cruise a few years ago and my husband had a Swiss Army knife with a bunch of gadgets on it. It was in his carry on (we drove to the port) and it was confiscated on boarding the ship. Can he carry a pocket knife in checked luggage on Princess without having it taken?

We take a Leatherman in our checked luggage. No issues yet.

If they see it they will may hold it until the end of the cruise.

In the Med, say in Istanbul/Venice for instance, terminal security will take anything they deem a weapon (any size scissors included) and call ship security to retrieve it from them. Security will have to sign for all the items taken from suitcases. Then its up to shipboard security to give it back to the passenger or hold it until the end of the cruise. No they don't catch everything.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

As you can see from the various postings. There is no true answer as it is like most things today. It all depends on who, what, when and where. If you value it, be careful.

It's port security that's usually an issue, so I just pack my swiss army knife in my checked bag and have never had a problem. If one puts it in the carry-on is when port security will freak out - never mind that they give you a steak knife in the MDR. Go figure.

I don't know how they do it at other ports, but at Seattle if it's found by security during your security screening, they will confiscate it. If you have it in your checked baggage, I don't know what would happen. If they noticed it, security on board the ship might be notified and the luggage containing the knife might be sent directly to the purser or security on the ship. If you buy a knife or other item that is not allowed on the ship, it will be confiscated upon your return to the ship and you will be given a receipt for it. When you reach Seattle there will be a table right by where to step off the gangway that is manned by a ship's security person. You present your receipt there and claim your item(s) at that point.

Tom

This reminds me of a visit to an Amusement Park a few years ago. They objected to my small pocket knife at checkin, so I walked back to my car to leave it in the trunk. Walked all the way back, checked in and had to go through the gift shop to get to the main part. Said gift shop had a large display of knives (some larger than mine) right beside the aisle! Could you buy it right then? Yep!