Going on one more cruise, a Princess Alaska Cruise, need some help.

WWCJR

Shortly we will be leaving for an Alaska cruise. I thought that I might never get to go on another cruise, but things have fallen into place so that I will have another cruise. When we return I will write a review of the cruise.

Some background. Last October I was diagnosed with AML Leukemia, an aggressive fast growing form of cancer. After high dose chemotherapy it was thought that I was in remission but two weeks later I was given the news that the cancer is still there and it will return. I was referred to the M. D. Anderson Stem Cell (bone marrow) Transplant Center. After going through tests and exams I was accepted into the program. To be accepted you have to be in good health and meet requirements that they feel give you a good chance for success. In their words I am “sort of in remission”. But I will have to still be in good health and go through more testing before the transplant. The decision to have the transplant was not an easy decision but is my best chance, about 33%, to be alive for another two to three years.

While they were searching for an unrelated donor we booked a cruise to Alaska, our second Alaska cruise, which I will not give the date or the ship name at my wife’s request (she wants me to get away from thinking about my cancer and does not want people talking to me about it while on the cruise).

After making these plans they located a good matching donor and wanted to proceed with the transplant. I was not willing to cancel our plans and have delayed the transplant until late summer. I have entered an experimental drug trial at M. D. Anderson that has shown good signs of being able to hold the cancer in remission and even in a few cases has killed the remaining cancer cells. This approach was offered to me as they understood how important all of our plans are to me and that I NEED to go on this cruise for my own mental health.

Before booking I had not had any changes in medications for three months so insurance should cover any unexpected medical problems. I also have a Medicare supplemental coverage policy that covers out of country medical costs. I plan to purchase the MedJet coverage too. I have a weakened immune system so will have to take extra precautions to avoid getting sick. There will be four of us going and we have booked two balcony cabins on opposite sides of the ship so if anyone gets sick they can be in the cabin I am not in. This should also give us good viewing areas where we can avoid being on deck with the crowds. We plan to eat all meals in the dining room and avoid the buffet. Of course I keep hand sanitizer with me at all times and also wear a mask when in large crowds or around coughing people.

I have discussed this with my Princess Vacation Planner and it all seems to be okay. I was offered assistance for boarding and disembarkation which I accepted.

I realize that I am rolling the dice and this might not work out well, but I am willing to take that chance to go on one more cruise and hope it is not my last cruise. Can anyone think of anything that we have not thought about to help minimize the risks to my remaining healthy while onboard the ship, and not going on the cruise is NOT an option I will consider?

At this point I tire very easy and wonder if anyone has taken the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer - TA1660A Princess Excursion. Are there plenty of places to sit? Maybe a place I could lay down? I do not see that this excursion should be very taxing but is long, time wise.

We have booked a Princess excursion to Mendenhall Glacier the same day but at this point we will probably cancel that one as I will probably need to rest. We have seen it back in June of 2007 on our first Alaska Cruise so missing it will not be a big loss.

To all of my friends out there, remember to do the things you really want to do while you can and do not put it off. You never know what lies ahead for you tomorrow.

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but glad you have some options. I think it will be a good relaxing time for you both physically and mentally. Enjoy some great meals and company, see some beautiful sights and entertainment onboard. When we took the Tracy Arm excursion there were quite a few empty seats inside and out. There is a nice outdoor viewing area to stand or sit. As far as lying down I guess it would depend on if the tour is full or not.

Anyhow have a blast on your cruise, I think you will. All the best. :)

I am so very sorry!!! I wish you the best and your transplant works!

Although your condition is much worse than my husband's, he's also very ill. But he certainly doesn't want to cancel our upcoming cruise! I've had to move forward our cruise forward as I doubt that he will be able to go later... However, I could be mistaken...

The doctors have told him there isn't much more they can do for him, so i truly empathize...

Have a wonderful cruise! Best wishes.

You mentioned what other precautions that you could take to try and remain germ-free. Be careful when pushing the elevator buttons. We try to remember to use our elbows and not our fingers. During a Noro outbreak, we observed crew members doing this and thought it was a good idea to avoid picking up a virus/bacteria.

I hope you make a full recovery and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by partybarbie

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but glad you have some options. I think it will be a good relaxing time for you both physically and mentally. Enjoy some great meals and company, see some beautiful sights and entertainment onboard. When we took the Tracy Arm excursion there were quite a few empty seats inside and out. There is a nice outdoor viewing area to stand or sit. As far as lying down I guess it would depend on if the tour is full or not.

Anyhow have a blast on your cruise, I think you will. All the best. :)

I think this will work for me. I know I could not stand for the entire excursion and even sitting will probably be exhausted by the time it ends. Thanks for the quick response.

When flying, clean the seats and tray. Wear a face mask as these planes are a germ incubator becaue people sneeze and cough without covering up and it goes right through the air system

Wishing you success and many additional years of life to enjoy.

Prayers coming your way.

I am so very sorry!!! I wish you the best and your transplant works!

Although your condition is much worse than my husband's, he's also very ill. But he certainly doesn't want to cancel our upcoming cruise! I've had to move forward our cruise forward as I doubt that he will be able to go later... However, I could be mistaken...

The doctors have told him there isn't much more they can do for him, so i truly empathize...

Have a wonderful cruise! Best wishes.

I would say don't take the statement that they cannot do anything more for your husband. Check other options with any place that might be able to help. We have to keep our spirits up and NEVER give up no matter how small the odds are for us. I wish all the best for your husband.

I would say don't take the statement that they cannot do anything more for your husband. Check other options with any place that might be able to help. We have to keep our spirits up and NEVER give up no matter how small the odds are for us. I wish all the best for your husband.

I would agree with the statement to never give up. My dad was diagnosed eight years before he finally succumbed to his situation. There were more than a couple times that the chemo almost did him in. Fortunately, he had a doctor that kept trying new things and those kept him going a lot longer than the original 6 to 8 months that he was initially given. He was able to enjoy 3 cruises with my mom and uncle and aunt, and one more with my mom and my wife and myself. We all leave this Earth at some point, but, if you can, why not go for a little longer if you have the chance. At least enjoy yourself as much as you can. Good luck with your treatments. I certainly hope it all works out well for you.

And, Working to Cruise, I would wish the same for your husband. All the best to you, too.

Edited by ar1950

Thank you! Giving up is NOT an option! I think we'll do a simple whale watching excursion in Juneau, and another in Ketchikan that includes a crab luncheon. Glacier Bay will be a good day to sit on our balcony!

I hope all goes well with you, I will be thinking of you.

Thank you! Giving up is NOT an option! I think we'll do a simple whale watching excursion in Juneau

I suggest Harv and Marv (see their website, book in advance) in Juneau as there are only six passengers on their boats. Much less exhausting than on a boat with 100+ people.

Please be aware that the dining room is not open for lunch on port days.

Thanks for the reminder. In the past we have not eaten lunches in the dining room. Now we know to plan to eat at the International Café or have pizza on the port days.

I have no other advice to offer other than you can see most everything from your balcony. If you get tired, you can always lay down on your bed and rest. The advice you gave is the best:

To all of my friends out there, remember to do the things you really want to do while you can and do not put it off. You never know what lies ahead for you tomorrow.

No one has any guarantees for life, live each day as if it were your last. Good luck to you and your treatments and enjoy your cruise!

On my last cruise with my husband, before he passed away, he tired easily so we would order from room service and eat in the cabin.

Maybe you can talk to someone at the Purser's desk about having the dining room food delivered to your cabin on the days when you don't feel up to it or can't make it the dining room.

Based on the real life experience of a close friend, I would research hospitals in your different port areas. Sadly my friends cruise only lasted 2 or 3 days, (I cannot remember as it was years ago), before they had to disembark and he was hospitalized. My prayers are with you. Many beat this monster!

Hi Bill, I've just checked my photos from Tracy Arm in Sept, 2013. We left on the Explorer at 8 am and cruised around the glacier for a couple hours; sorry, don't remember exactly how long, but I can tell you that one of my photos is captioned "Beginning 5 hour ride back to ship in Juneau" and everyone in the pic is napping. Lots of places to sit in comfort and warmth on plush "semi-bucket" seating except the seats are in pairs separated by an arm in between each pair. No room to lay down. I have plenty of energy and I remember being completely exhausted from this trip, so the good news is it's fabulous viewing. The bad news is you'll definitely be exhausted.

We just returned from the same trip on the Crown and our ship made it all the way into Tracy Arm, whereas we passed the Ruby heading back out since she wasn't able to make it in there. If you could guarantee your captain can get you in there, there's no need for the excursion, but as always in Alaska, you just won't know until it's too late to cancel your excursion. The viewing this year was the best we've ever had (Windex-blue icebergs!), so if you think you can handle the fatigue, go for it. You won't be sorry.

Your health news makes me sad, as we cruise knowing that each one we do could be our daughter's last, so we understand. Would a scooter help you? You could rent one from CareVacations or Special Needs at Sea, but the challenge would be getting it into your stateroom. It would need to be the smallest size or it wouldn't fit through the door. Also, if you chose to use a walker, the wider ones have a tough time making it through also, but as you're able to walk w/o one, you could fold it to get it through the doorway.

I can tell you that there were maybe 15 scooters on our trip last month and many more walkers ... mostly used by men, I noticed.

You MUST take this trip because of the very reasons your wife said. Alaska does something to your soul and you need that right now. And you need someone to spoil you! Eat, sleep, cruise!

I am sorry for your situation but so happy to see that you are getting joy out of life in any way you can. I have stage IV breast cancer and made a decision, early on. That I would enjoy life as much as possible while I could. Even with adjustments and modifications to my old ways, I've had a wonderful time despite my illness. Yes, tiring easily is a big thing. Do what you can and relax when you need to. I truly understand what you mean about needing a vacation from cancer. Wishing you the best time and good luck with the transplant.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and information everyone has provided. Also thanks for all of the good thoughts and support.

Yesterday I had more blood tests and an appointment with the study Oncologist. Things are looking good and I will not need weekly blood tests but will have one just before the cruise incase my counts are too low and I need a transfusion before leaving for the cruise. The oncologist asked that I included her in my email reports while on the cruise. So I will still be in contact with her even during the cruise.

If you were to see me you would never know that I am battling cancer. I still walk over 2-1/2 miles a day and the doctors want me to increase that if I can. It is one of the things that will help me to survive the transplant better and have less chance for lung problems at that time. I just tire very easy so know that I have to pace myself or I will be in bed for a couple of days recovering.

Last week I learned the hard way about over doing. On Wednesday I trimmed trees in our yard and this lead to a minor scratch that bleed really bad due to my low platelet count. Then Friday we took a road trip of about 200 miles total. Saturday I cut grass riding the garden tractor and after that I was totally exhausted and had to rest the remainder of Saturday and all day Sunday. By Monday I was pretty much back to "normal". It was due to my reaction to those activities that we decided we needed to rethink the excursions on the cruise.

Take it from me I am living everyday to the fullest that I can. I just have a hard time accepting the fact that I can no longer do what I use to be able to do and would still be able to do if I did not have this cancer. But I am not letting it slow me down or stop me from enjoying the remaining life that I have.

We were on the Ruby the week of May 24 and booked a whale watching tour with Capt. Jack and Capt. Alan on the MV Scania. There were only 6 of us and Alan on the boat and it was great. I get sea sick on small boats and had NO problems on this one just like Jack had promised.

whalewatchingjuneau.com or search MV Scania and they will come up. They are very good about getting back to you asap since they book up fast.

Have a great cruise:)