Microsoft lectures

Fisherwoman

With Windows 10 coming out July 29th, does anyone know if HAL will be offering lectures on the new O/S? If so, when. I'm thinking of booking the Aug 1st Noordam and if they have Windows 10 that will be the hooker!

Windows 10 previews have been available for several months, beta copies even longer. I would suspect that all the techsperts have one that they downloaded themselves if Microsoft didn't provide them one.

I would also suspect that Microsoft has already provided the techsperts with official "talking points" about Windows 10. After all, from the standpoint of Microsoft these sessions are sales opportunities, a way to keep people on Microsoft products rather than moving to Apple, Linux or the other possibilities.

We have kept in touch with one of our favorite techsperts on facebook and last week she posted pictures of herself at the Microsoft campus with all of the other techsperts learning 20+ new classes - all centered around Windows 10. I sent her a note to ask her when she starts the new classes and she said anywhere from late June to beginning of July. They will get their packages from Microsoft with new software, etc and they will begin teaching and demoing 10 before it is actually released. And of course they will have a launch party on board if you happen to be on a ship when it's officially released. We were on board the Volendam when 7 was released with her and she decorated and gave out lots of Microsoft goodies.

We have kept in touch with one of our favorite techsperts on facebook and last week she posted pictures of herself at the Microsoft campus with all of the other techsperts learning 20+ new classes - all centered around Windows 10. I sent her a note to ask her when she starts the new classes and she said anywhere from late June to beginning of July. They will get their packages from Microsoft with new software, etc and they will begin teaching and demoing 10 before it is actually released. And of course they will have a launch party on board if you happen to be on a ship when it's officially released. We were on board the Volendam when 7 was released with her and she decorated and gave out lots of Microsoft goodies.

Thanks. That's good to know.

When you look up the partnership between HAL and Microsoft, MS sponsors the Techsperts/Digital Workshop. So it'd be kind of silly for them to pay for you to learn OS X.

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/tag/digital-workshop/

When I was on the Noordam in January, I attended a couple of the workshops and found them to be informative. I asked the techspert who actually employed her and she told me that she was a HAL employee and not Microsoft. I now wonder if this is true.

With this news, sounds like another reason to delay buying a Windows 8.1 computer and wait for Windows 10.

When I was on the Noordam in January, I attended a couple of the workshops and found them to be informative. I asked the techspert who actually employed her and she told me that she was a HAL employee and not Microsoft. I now wonder if this is true.

With this news, sounds like another reason to delay buying a Windows 8.1 computer and wait for Windows 10.

If you need the computer now, there is really no reason to delay. All computers with Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 get a free upgrade to Windows 10 if requested within the first year after the release of Windows 10.

We had Microsoft workshops on Statendam until May 30, when our Techspert left for Redmond. I'm still on Vista, so it was interesting to see what 8.1 was all about. Our Techspert said that he is not a Microsoft employee, but Microsoft pays HAL for his presence.

Edited by towhee

If your techspert was Trish, we were on the Noordam repo cruise from FLL - YVR in April with her as our techspert. She said she was using the "trial version" of Windows 10 so she was familiar with it. I am so awestruck with the Microsoft support we will book an Alaska cruise! Thank you!

.... And of course they will have a launch party on board if you happen to be on a ship when it's officially released. We were on board the Volendam when 7 was released with her and she decorated and gave out lots of Microsoft goodies.

We will be onboard the Statendam the day Windows 10 is launched. I'll be checking to see if they do anything special. It sounds like fun. I have already reserved my free upgrade to Windows 10.

Having just had a discussion about Windows 8.1, we were told by someone who should know that Windows 8 will be discontinued, much like Vista. Found that interesting.

Do you mean that Windows 8 will no longer be supported but Windows 8.1 will be? What about Windows 7?

Do you mean that Windows 8 will no longer be supported but Windows 8.1 will be? What about Windows 7?

For Windows 8, Microsoft wants everyone to update to 8.1 which is a free upgrade which corrects several things that users complained about. Since 8.1 is an incremental upgrade, no one is expected to stay with Windows 8.

For Windows 7, from ZDNet - a tech site: On January 13, Microsoft's mainstream support for Windows 7 Service Pack (SP) 1 ends.

for the full article see This article

As to the lack of a Windows 9, the story is that the version check utility which programs use to determine which os is in use points WIN9 to Windows 95 and 98, which are totally unsupported at this time. They are very different then the Win NT group of which everything past Win XP is a part.

Check this article for some additional information

Edited by richwmn

I always attend a couple of the tech time lectures, as I do pick up some new & interesting tips, it was where I first learned how to do a blog and a great way to spend some time during sea days.. It was the reason I got a Windows 7 computer, it was an introduction to Windows 8.

Allan