No lobster!?

My in-laws just got off of the BOTS (Baltic) 12-day cruise. They said there was no lobster on the MDR menu. It was only available for an additional $35.! Their head waiter told them that lobster was only offered as part of the MDR regular menu in the Caribbean.

My wife and I have found the food on the last 2 RCI cruises to be deplorable. We have cruised almost 50 cruises and @ 225, 6'3" I ain't hard to please.

We have one more RCI cruise scheduled. Serenade OTS next April. We got it at such a good price last May that I hate to not go on it. But I do feel safe since it is Caribbean. After all is said and done, we may just be Princess people.

My in-laws just got off of the BOTS (Baltic) 12-day cruise. They said there was no lobster on the MDR menu. It was only available for an additional $35.! Their head waiter told them that lobster was only offered as part of the MDR regular menu in the Caribbean.

My wife and I have found the food on the last 2 RCI cruises to be deplorable. We have cruised almost 50 cruises and @ 225, 6'3" I ain't hard to please.

We have one more RCI cruise scheduled. Serenade OTS next April. We got it at such a good price last May that I hate to not go on it. But I do feel safe since it is Caribbean. After all is said and done, we may just be Princess people.

What does someone elses Baltic cruise have to do with you? Fuss about a frozen lobster tail, really

It has been a longstanding policy of Royal to offer "free" lobster in the MDR only on cruises of 5 days or longer based out of the US.

Edited by clarea

Seaus...I'm not "fussing" about someone else's cruise. It was my relatives and they were disappointed that lobster wasn't offered on the regular menu. It is snide comments like yours that turn some people off to this board. 10,000 club or not..UR rude.

This is because they are Maine lobsters and it is affordable to ship them within America but much more expensive to bring them to Europe. Other products are much better and cheaper in Europe so I suggest to try something else / local, e.g. fresh salmon from Norway if you are on the Northern Europe itenaries.

I've been on 3 Medit. cruises and no lobster on the menu. Disappointed the

1st time, but no big deal. The big deal on the 1st (Serenade) was that I could not get a hot cup of coffee whether in the WJ or MDR. I thought that this was due to safety concerns, as McDonald was sued for the hotness of their coffee that scolded an elderly lady for having the coffee in her lap while in her car. I finally begged our waiter to nuke my coffee before serving it to me.

Hate to burst your bubble, but don't you have better things to do and or moan about?....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is because they are Maine lobsters and it is affordable to ship them within America but much more expensive to bring them to Europe. Other products are much better and cheaper in Europe so I suggest to try something else / local, e.g. fresh salmon from Norway if you are on the Northern Europe itenaries.

The lobster served in the MDR at no extra charge on Caribbean cruises is warm water rock lobster. It isn't as tasty as Maine lobster, which I believe is available at an extra charge.

After all is said and done, we may just be Princess people.

We have very limited Royal Caribbean experience, but enough to tell you the food is much better on Princess. Having stated that, I advise you not to cruise Princess for the lobster.

Puny lobster tails are served in the MDR at no extra charge on one of the formal nights. True, you can have as many as you wish, but they're really not very good. Lobster tails are also available in the Crown Grill steak house at no additional charge. They're a bit better than those in the MDR, but not much.

Do yourself a favor and enjoy Maine lobster at home or in a local restaurant for the best experience.

Lew

Seaus...I'm not "fussing" about someone else's cruise. It was my relatives and they were disappointed that lobster wasn't offered on the regular menu. It is snide comments like yours that turn some people off to this board. 10,000 club or not..UR rude.

Actually I am turned off by the constant threats of "I am not sailing anymore". Generally these are accompanied by some entitlement whining.

Seriously just take your business elsewhere. Coming on here to post a public announcement is bizarre. What are you hoping? The cruise line is not going to come on here and beg you to stay. If you and others like you actually take your money elsewhere then they might notice (assuming there are enough of you)

Just got back from the baltic and yes there was no lobster on the standard MDR - it was available only as an extra (they did do 20%) off one night.

On the whole having been on celebrity before the meat cuts seems to be cheaper ones - but it was on the whole very tasty.

So whilst no lobster also no complaints from me :)

Maine/New England lobster is relatively cheap on the North East coast of the US (starting at about $6.50 per pound for live, whole lobsters which makes it competitive compared to other wild caught seafood), it gets more expensive the further away from New England you get. By the time you get to the west coast lobster is super premium, and it is almost impossible to find (comparatively) outside the US. On top of all that it's also a seasonal food. That said I haven't been on my first cruise ship yet, but I am under the impression that this isn't a floating McDonalds. I assume that he chefs try to use things that are easily accessible via the port they disembark from to keep things fresh, and frugal like any responsible chef does.

Just my two cents!

It's not worth all the fuss. I had two portions on my jewel cruise in January and both portions were tasteless.

Give me a good Steak any day.

Clarky cross the pond over to New England and try our fresh lobster and Ipswich steamed clams, you can even add a big steak and corn on the cob, you will see the difference from a frozen clawless cruise ship lobster.

Maine/New England lobster is relatively cheap on the North East coast of the US (starting at about $6.50 per pound for live, whole lobsters which makes it competitive compared to other wild caught seafood)...

Have you checked live Maine lobster pricing lately? Due to unusual sea conditions, live lobster is in the $16 per pound range.

Lew

They don't serve lobster in the Caribbean either. They do have some small dry little rubbery things that are somewhat edible and vaguely resemble a lobster tail.

Thanks. This saves me from having to post.:D

Have you checked live Maine lobster pricing lately? Due to unusual sea conditions, live lobster is in the $16 per pound range.

Lew

local grocery has live lobster for $7-$8 a pound

I have never seen lobster selling for $16.00/lb. At Stop & Shop yesterday it was $6.99/lb. And down the street at the docks I can get it for $4.99/lb. I can't fathom that transporting the critters to Burlington increases the price to $16.00/lb.