Suite Question

In the past we have always gotten adjoining balcony rooms for my wife and I and our 2 (now adult 23 & 21 year old) kids. Never wanted for anything and having 2 bathrooms plus 2 couches and 2 balconies really made sense.

I am now planning to take the wife on a cruise to celebrate our 25th anniversary and thought I would splurge for a grand suite to make her feel special.

I could never surprise her with such a thing so I made my plans known and she immediately tried to talk me into taking the kids. I have figured out that if momma is happy then everybody is happy. Grown son has a good job so he can pitch in so why not.

Found a good deal on a 9 night cruise grand suite on Navigator and also found an inside cabin right across the hall for the kids. Money is right and the kids could care less but wife is worried that we will have access to things as suite guests that they will not have. Will they let them embark with us, eat breakfast in specialty restaurants, show seating, etc? I understand access to the already crowded lounges is asking too much but the other stuff seems a bit trivial. How stringent are they if they are our kids and not some tag along couple that are friends of ours.

The alternative is to get a owner's suite and let them sleep on the couch. Quite a bit more money but still doable.

Opinions please.

Actually, Royal allows kids in the Concierge Lounge with their parents. Also, they will most likely let your party stay together during check-in and boarding. I don't know about the breakfast in specialty restaurants or show seating or pool seating.

Edited by clarea

No problem with boarding, but I don't think they are allowed in the CL. They will be classed as adults even though they are your "kids." I think once they are adults and not in your cabin they are "on their own."

My daughter and her husband boarded with me. I was traveling solo in my cabin, but could not accompany me to reserved seating at shows.

Edited by PMcC1998

Actually, Royal allows kids in the Concierge Lounge with their parents. Also, they will most likely let your party stay together during check-in and boarding. I don't know about the breakfast in specialty restaurants or show seating or pool seating.

Minor children yes, adult children, I don't believe so. And the specialty restaurants likely will not let them in for breakfast - they get pretty busy just with the guests who are entitled to access.

Many people don't think that the reserved seating area in the theaters is the best - on NV in 2012 it was in the center balcony section (I liked it). But it's also usually sparsely populated and they release the seats 10 minutes before the show is due to start, so it's unlikely that your kids would have trouble joining you.

I'd go for the GS/inside combo. Giving up that second bathroom would be a dealbreaker for me.

It appears that Royal can be very inconsistent when applying rules, but when we planned to do this (us in a suite and grown up kids in a lower grade of stateroom), we contacted Royal to check to see if our family could join us in the Suite Lounge, theatre etc, and we were told No, as they are adults. They said that only the people who pay for the suite benefits can use them.

We decided not to take the Suite because it was a lot of money for a small number of benefits anyway, some of which we wouldn't use as we wanted to be with our family.

Might be best to contact them to double check the situation for your sailing, as different rules might apply to different sailings.

In the past we have always gotten adjoining balcony rooms for my wife and I and our 2 (now adult 23 & 21 year old) kids. Never wanted for anything and having 2 bathrooms plus 2 couches and 2 balconies really made sense.

I am now planning to take the wife on a cruise to celebrate our 25th anniversary and thought I would splurge for a grand suite to make her feel special.

I could never surprise her with such a thing so I made my plans known and she immediately tried to talk me into taking the kids. I have figured out that if momma is happy then everybody is happy. Grown son has a good job so he can pitch in so why not.

Found a good deal on a 9 night cruise grand suite on Navigator and also found an inside cabin right across the hall for the kids. Money is right and the kids could care less but wife is worried that we will have access to things as suite guests that they will not have. Will they let them embark with us, eat breakfast in specialty restaurants, show seating, etc? I understand access to the already crowded lounges is asking too much but the other stuff seems a bit trivial. How stringent are they if they are our kids and not some tag along couple that are friends of ours.

The alternative is to get a owner's suite and let them sleep on the couch. Quite a bit more money but still doable.

Opinions please.

1. It's your anniversary. Stick with the GS and an inside cabin. Don't do an OS and have your grown children in the room (my opinion only).

As for accesses, likely you can all board together, just explain to the official what your situation is. But it's possible they will make your kids board in the non-suite line. Really not a big deal. Boarding is usually fairly quick and you can wait for them if you get separated.

As for dining in the Suite area for breakfast, not likely. Also it's very unlikely that you can get them into the Concierge Lounge. They are usually very strict on entry as the lounge if has a very limited capacity.

As for shows, we have always found that the Suite seating area is not that desirable. We generally sit in normal seating.

Any "gold card" privileges will generally be strict. Including access to "Suite Sundeck," any private island will have a "gold card" beach which is strictly enforced, etc.

Honestly, you may think these perks are "trivial," but there really is little difference between traveling with adult children and traveling with adult friends. Extra adults are extra adults. It is pretty hard for Royal Caribbean to say ok to one set of circumstances and no to the next. We all sort of feel that our circumstances are "special."

But, definitely do the GS. It'll be well worth it.

Happy Anniversary. 25 years is definitely a milestone. We did a week at Disney and a 7 night cruise for our 25th (in 1994) and it was a fantastic way to celebrate.

Will they let them embark with us, yes eat breakfast in specialty restaurants, NO show seating, NO etc? I understand access to the already crowded lounges is asking too much but the other stuff seems a bit trivial. How stringent are they if they are our kids and not some tag along couple that are friends of ours.

Opinions please.

ALL of the suite amenities are earned/paid for, not just the 'better ones' like CL access. they do and will screen all cards in the suite only areas. Pool, theater, etc.

I have kids your age. They will most likely not be allowed in CL with you as they are not minors anymore.

I would still get them the inside cabin. With the money you save, get them each a drink package. They will not miss you at cocktail hour. You can see them at dinner.

They will be sleeping at breakfast so you won't have to worry about that either.

They will probably even miss the WJ breakfast hours #20somethings

Edited by marci22

My only advice would be, if you think you've found a good deal (and you're not already to the point where things would be non-refundable, if you cancel), book it. You can always change cabins or cancel and book a different cruise later. But if you think about it a few days, then decide to book it, the price you liked (or the cabins) may or may not still be available.

I agree, stick with the GS and the inside. We were just in an OS and while it has a ton of room it's not enough for you and two grown kids. Do you really want to hear them coming in at 2:00 AM and/or sharing a bath room? We have three kids that age and my answer is clearly, NOPE!

Better question, is do you want to wonder whose cabin they ARE in when they don't come home?

On the Oasis we found the CL to be pretty lenient. We were traveling with my brother and SIL who were in a CLS. Their kids (6) were in balcony cabins. They (not all at the same time except on embarkation) joined us a couple of times in the CL for cocktails and snacks and nobody said anything.

Tip: either you go to the bar and use your gold card to get drinks or they go and just don't show it until asked. Our niece went up once and threw down her blue card (without being asked) and was told "this is for suite guest only." So I just went up and got her a drink without even showing my card since we had been there many times before.

I agree, stick with the GS and the inside. We were just in an OS and while it has a ton of room it's not enough for you and two grown kids. Do you really want to hear them coming in at 2:00 AM and/or sharing a bath room? We have three kids that age and my answer is clearly, NOPE!

Better question, is do you want to wonder whose cabin they ARE in when they don't come home?

On the Oasis we found the CL to be pretty lenient. We were traveling with my brother and SIL who were in a CLS. Their kids (6) were in balcony cabins. They (not all at the same time except on embarkation) joined us a couple of times in the CL for cocktails and snacks and nobody said anything.

Tip: either you go to the bar and use your gold card to get drinks or they go and just don't show it until asked. Our niece went up once and threw down her blue card (without being asked) and was told "this is for suite guest only." So I just went up and got her a drink without even showing my card since we had been there many times before.

Sorry to disagree, but people cheating the system is what is causing so many problems in the CL and DL. Your niece should not have been there. Unless you are talking minor children with their parents anyone else is just another passenger. You are very fortunate that the concierge did not ask her to leave. It has been my experience recently that each individual card is checked upon entry. After a couple of visits perhaps not so much, but too many people are trying to bring friends and family into the lounges, causing over crowding and definitely making it difficult for the staff.

OP, I've wondered about the same thing. My hubs and I have a couple of cruises coming up. One has us in a GS and the other is a JS. We are going to take two of our young adult children on one of them and are opting for the one that we have a JS booked for the very reason of the suite perks. When we have them, we want to enjoy them.

Regarding the RFS, I've stayed in it twice. Each time with only two people for very reasonable prices but upgraded way past final payment date.

I'm not sure of the price, but maybe another option would be the RFS?

Looks like it is in the aft. Sounds like something different. Doesn't show it as an option so I will have to consider other sailings.

Get 2 grand suites

Yikes. They will stay home before that happens. Son went to Notre Dame and the daughter is planning med school. They are lucky I am considering letting them go at all.

Wow, I sound like grumpy old dad. They are great kids and since they both went away to school Momma can't get enough of them. They will be thrilled to be anywhere on the boat. Just trying to balance it all out.

1. It's your anniversary. Stick with the GS and an inside cabin. Don't do an OS and have your grown children in the room (my opinion only).

As for accesses, likely you can all board together, just explain to the official what your situation is. But it's possible they will make your kids board in the non-suite line. Really not a big deal. Boarding is usually fairly quick and you can wait for them if you get separated.

As for dining in the Suite area for breakfast, not likely. Also it's very unlikely that you can get them into the Concierge Lounge. They are usually very strict on entry as the lounge if has a very limited capacity.

As for shows, we have always found that the Suite seating area is not that desirable. We generally sit in normal seating.

Any "gold card" privileges will generally be strict. Including access to "Suite Sundeck," any private island will have a "gold card" beach which is strictly enforced, etc.

Honestly, you may think these perks are "trivial," but there really is little difference between traveling with adult children and traveling with adult friends. Extra adults are extra adults. It is pretty hard for Royal Caribbean to say ok to one set of circumstances and no to the next. We all sort of feel that our circumstances are "special."

But, definitely do the GS. It'll be well worth it.

Happy Anniversary. 25 years is definitely a milestone. We did a week at Disney and a 7 night cruise for our 25th (in 1994) and it was a fantastic way to celebrate.

Thanks for the comments. Sound advice.

Looks like it is in the aft. Sounds like something different. Doesn't show it as an option so I will have to consider other sailings.

I'll give you this hint in spite of your school allegiance... call RCI about the RFS. It doesn't come online to inventory unless it hasn't sold.

Roll Tide. ;)

No clue on suites... Just wanted to say "GO BUCKEYES!!!"

Class of '91 here. Daughter just finished her third year. We are a Buckeye family.

Wife wants to do the Buckeye cruise for cancer but I am not keen on the timing or the boat.