Passport needed?

Hey guys,

So if we are on the cruise and we have an emergency back home, can we fly home without a passport? Or, can we fly home using the documentation that we were able to use to get on the ship? (Birth Certificate, I.D etc..) Some of us have a passport but a few of us were just going to use the other accepted documentation.

Thank you in advance!!!

This is exactly the reason it's recommended you have your passport.

If you travel with just your birth certificate and ID, you can't use it to get back into the US if you are not coming back on the same cruise ship you departed on.

Should something happen and you not have your passport, you would need to visit a US embassy in whatever country you're at at the time you decide you need to come back and get new paperwork. This can take several days, so you would have to pay for the cost of the hotel and meals in that country, the cost of the replacement paperwork, and the cost of the flight (or other transportation) back.

Hey guys,

So if we are on the cruise and we have an emergency back home, can we fly home without a passport? Or, can we fly home using the documentation that we were able to use to get on the ship? (Birth Certificate, I.D etc..) Some of us have a passport but a few of us were just going to use the other accepted documentation.

Thank you in advance!!!

I'm a huge advocate of passports because there simply is no question to be raised. But I must ask, are you anticipating leaving the ship at a foreign port and having to fly home? If so, then I'd really suggest not only a passport but cruise insurance. If not, don't worry about it.

Of course anything can happen, but the norm is that it doesn't. I don't actually know the answer, but my guess is that if you leave the ship to return home from the Caribbean you'll likely need a passport. But only my opinion.

Is this totally hypothetical, or are you anticipating an issue?

If you have proof of citizenship (birth certificate) and proof of identity (driver's license), and there's a U.S. Embassy or consulate available, you'll be able to get travel documents in an emergency. BUT, it won't be instantaneous. If the delay causes you to miss the only flight that would have gotten you home before your [fill in the blank] passed and you missed it, is that really worth the $11/year ($110) per person it would have cost you to simply get a passport????

If you're not anticipating a problem, maybe it's a worthwhile gamble. In our case, we travel overseas other than on U.S. close loop cruises, so there's no real option.

Is this totally hypothetical, or are you anticipating an issue?

If you have proof of citizenship (birth certificate) and proof of identity (driver's license), and there's a U.S. Embassy or consulate available, you'll be able to get travel documents in an emergency. BUT, it won't be instantaneous. If the delay causes you to miss the only flight that would have gotten you home before your [fill in the blank] passed and you missed it, is that really worth the $11/year ($110) per person it would have cost you to simply get a passport????

If you're not anticipating a problem, maybe it's a worthwhile gamble. In our case, we travel overseas other than on U.S. close loop cruises, so there's no real option.

Thank you for the information. I am hoping it is actually not going to be needed. However, we have a member of the family (not traveling with us) that is older and is in the middle of Chemo and Radiation. We are hoping nothing happens but we have a back of our mind fear that she could take a turn. I will pass this info on to our group and let them decide how they feel about the risk. I am happy that I already have a passport :D

I'm a huge advocate of passports because there simply is no question to be raised. But I must ask, are you anticipating leaving the ship at a foreign port and having to fly home? If so, then I'd really suggest not only a passport but cruise insurance. If not, don't worry about it.

Of course anything can happen, but the norm is that it doesn't. I don't actually know the answer, but my guess is that if you leave the ship to return home from the Caribbean you'll likely need a passport. But only my opinion.

We are hoping that getting a call from home is not needed but we have a sick one in the family that will not be traveling with us. Thank you for your information. I have confidence that everything will work out. :)

This is exactly the reason it's recommended you have your passport.

If you travel with just your birth certificate and ID, you can't use it to get back into the US if you are not coming back on the same cruise ship you departed on.

Should something happen and you not have your passport, you would need to visit a US embassy in whatever country you're at at the time you decide you need to come back and get new paperwork. This can take several days, so you would have to pay for the cost of the hotel and meals in that country, the cost of the replacement paperwork, and the cost of the flight (or other transportation) back.

Thank you very much for your information!! I hope all of this will not be needed. Fingers crossed.:)

Several years ago, we were on a cruise to Bermuda and the ship lost all propulsion and we actually had to be towed into Bermuda.(It WAS NOT and RCI ship). Cruise line wanted to fix the engines and cruise us back, after a delay for two days but the Bermuda government refused to certify the ship as seaworthy and made them fly all of us back home. We luckily had passports with us. Those that didn't had a tough time getting back home. The Customs staff don't want to hear any stories, especial lies these days. They just want to see the proper paperwork.

Spend a few bucks and get a passport for those in your group who don't have them.

There are international flight security rules that require you to have a passport to even get through security to board the plane nowadays. People think it's just about getting let in once you land but there are a ton of hurdles to cross before you even get near a plane. Being American is not a free pass through international borders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey guys,

Thank you in advance!!!

If your group is still sailing Sept 26 then an investment of $100 (or so) in a passport right now.....will save many $100's or more I expenses attempting to get an emergency passport while sailing in the Caribbean. It will take several days, hotels, food in order to get that emergency passport.

So best advice is to get it now and save huge money later. If you apply right away you should have plenty of time to get a passport in time for your sailing.

That passport is good for 10 yrs and a great investment!

Several years ago, we were on a cruise to Bermuda and the ship lost all propulsion and we actually had to be towed into Bermuda.(It WAS NOT and RCI ship). Cruise line wanted to fix the engines and cruise us back, after a delay for two days but the Bermuda government refused to certify the ship as seaworthy and made them fly all of us back home. We luckily had passports with us. Those that didn't had a tough time getting back home. The Customs staff don't want to hear any stories, especial lies these days. They just want to see the proper paperwork.

Spend a few bucks and get a passport for those in your group who don't have them.

Could you expound on this? When you say they had a tough time getting home exactly what did they have to do?

When Carnival had a couple of incidents like this happen the pax that didnt have passports were given a special dispensation to fly home without passports.

Bill

We luckily had passports with us. Those that didn't had a tough time getting back home. The Customs staff don't want to hear any stories, especial lies these days. They just want to see the proper paperwork.

Agree 100% - Just think if a private tour missed the ship simple mistake can become complicated.

Thank you for the information. I am hoping it is actually not going to be needed. However, we have a member of the family (not traveling with us) that is older and is in the middle of Chemo and Radiation. We are hoping nothing happens but we have a back of our mind fear that she could take a turn. I will pass this info on to our group and let them decide how they feel about the risk. I am happy that I already have a passport :D

Please buy cruise insurance to cover emergency costs.

If you are out of country and must FLY back home (for any reason) a passport is required therefore if you are out of country you should always have your passport with you. You never know why you may have to go home ie a relative is killed in a car accident. Bad weather destroys your home ect. You should also have insurance.

Edited by CaptData

There have been multiple instances of a cruise having to terminate due to mechanical issues or fire. The cruise lines have arranged for charters to fly passengers home or they put those with passports on available commercial flights. Arrangements are made with the governments involved for those passengers without passports to reenter the US via these charters.

Which cruise line did you sail that people had a hard time getting back home?

DHS will be able to answer that specifically. If you have a passport, bring it as it makes things easier if you are expecting you might need to return home early. If nothing is expected, don't worry about it and have a good time. Anytime you leave the country, you really should have your passport.