Tunisia

Just wanted to add that many UK holiday folk are still heading to Tunisia this summer for a holiday and are essentially saying they will not let the terrorists win.

My personal feeling on it is I would not be comfortable going (I have been twice already anyway) but the statistics say it is still extremely rare to be caught up in an attack.

Chances are they will cancel but most likely you will not be affected.

Sure, it's rare to be in a terrorist attack, but if you're in one, it becomes a 100% chance.

I would not let a cruise line decide for me...I would NOT go to a place where they hate us and want to see us dead.

BTW, the cruise lines cares about their ships...not so much their passengers. Read your cruise contract, and you'll see!

Edited by cb at sea

Apparently Tunisia is being added as a port of call for more cruises, they're not cancelling, terrorist attacks or not. I'm divided on whether this is a good or bad thing, I guess its for us to decide whether to book.

http://www.cruisearabiaonline.com/News/2015/07/01/Cruise-industry-not-cowed-by-Tunisian-terror-attacks-in-Sousse-as-more-cruise-lines-add-Tunis

Sure, it's rare to be in a terrorist attack, but if you're in one, it becomes a 100% chance.

I would not let a cruise line decide for me...I would NOT go to a place where they hate us and want to see us dead.

BTW, the cruise lines cares about their ships...not so much their passengers. Read your cruise contract, and you'll see!

This was an attack by a terrorist group, not a country. Tunisia doesn't hate "us". Yes, it would be sensible in the current climate to consider your travel requirements to certain countries, but the Middle East isn't out to get "you". Just remember how many people have died in terrorist attacks on your own soil, it's not like the US is a safe haven.

Edited by Jacs

I have just been watching on the tv all the new security measures being put in place.

Well. They have already moved on. Now they will go to where all the security used to be.

When we were planning our next cruise, we crossed off all the ones with visits to Tunisia, Morocco, Eygpt and, it is coming, Turkey. Just a tinderbox waiting to be lit. All the southern coast of the Med.

Saying that, we plumped for one with Russia!

In October 2012 we were on HAL with a scheduled stop in Tunisia. Right before the cruise there were issues in Tunisia. So, as soon as we got on board we cancelled our ship tour and said that even if the ship stopped in Tunisa we would not get off. A number of people cancelled their tours. I don't think this really made a deifference in the decision but, a few days into the cruise HAL announced we would not be stopping in Tunisia. Instead we went to Sardinia and it was a great stop. The stop may stay on your itinerary until the last minute.

I guess you did not see the pictures of the Tunisians forming a human shield to try and protect the European holiday makers, or read about the Tunisian builder who helped the police by throwing tiles onto the head of the terrorist ?

I know we are meant to be polite on these forums, but to denigrate a whole country with such a bigoted and incorrect view only highlights your lack of understanding and knowledge.

I guess you did not see the pictures of the Tunisians forming a human shield to try and protect the European holiday makers, or read about the Tunisian builder who helped the police by throwing tiles onto the head of the terrorist ?

I know we are meant to be polite on these forums, but to denigrate a whole country with such a bigoted and incorrect view only highlights your lack of understanding and knowledge.

I wish cruise critic had a like button! This is exactly what I was thinking

Are any cruise ships still going to Tunisia? It is on our itinerary for next year and doesn't look like a good place to go anymore.

Mercury Mark

I would consider the attack in Tunis as an anomaly, and wouldn't let it (or terrorists) dissuade me. I'm not going to live my life always looking over my shoulder. That being said, I might however avoid planning a trip there or at hot spots during Ramadan; no use tempting fate... Ironically I WILL be in Turkey next month (Ephesus and Istanbul) -- one can only be diligent and aware. But ultimately the chances are higher that I die in a car accident here in the SF Bay Area...

Well said. The terrorist attack on holidaymakers in Tunisia is very sobering for my husband and I. We stayed at that hotel for 10 days with my sister, her husband and our mum 7 years ago and we spent every day on that beach. In fact we always had the same sunloungers in the spot where the gunman started shooting. Very shocking.

Tunisians, Morrocans, Egyptians and Turks love tourists and their economies are highly dependent on tourism. We've got 2 trips booked over the next 6 months to both Turkey and Egypt and I wouldn't think of cancelling unless advised not to by the Home Office. These atrocities can happen anywhere, and at the risk of offending our US friends we hear more about gun spree atrocities in schools, malls cinemas etc happening in America than we do about terrorist attacks in Europe or North Africa.

We're booked on an MSC cruise that was supposed to go to Tunis. After the first attack, their website showed the cruise going to Corfu instead although MSC haven't officially notified us or our travel agent. I tried to get the visit reinstated but gave up after the second attack. I'd still like to go as I believe we shouldn't give in to terrorists and, as previous posters have said, the chances of being caught in a terrorist attack are low.

I'd like to see ships visiting these ports and people given the option of whether to disembark or not, including signing a disclaimer/waiver that they realise the risks. Unfortunately, US litigation seems to have put an end to disclaimers being valid.

Yah, the cruise lines must have cancelled calls to Tunisia because of all us American cruisers. :confused:

The first obligation of any ships' Captain is to keep crew. guests and ship safe. Given recent events on the beach in Tunisia, I'm not sure American litigants would be the reason cruise ships likely won't dock there in the immediate future.

Edited by sail7seas

Unfortunately CB at Sea never comes back to see responses. But I think (or want to think) she may have meant the terrorists, not the country. But who knows.

She doesn't have time to come back. She to busy giving poor advice in other threads.

In October 2012 we were on HAL with a scheduled stop in Tunisia. Right before the cruise there were issues in Tunisia. So, as soon as we got on board we cancelled our ship tour and said that even if the ship stopped in Tunisa we would not get off. A number of people cancelled their tours. I don't think this really made a deifference in the decision but, a few days into the cruise HAL announced we would not be stopping in Tunisia. Instead we went to Sardinia and it was a great stop. The stop may stay on your itinerary until the last minute.

Interesting.

My parents were on a HAL cruise also in October/November 2012 and the stop was cancelled. I was on another ship (British based) at the same time and our stop in Tunis was not cancelled. I do think there's something to the idea that ships carrying American tourists are more likely to cancel itineraries with pretty low risk more often than lines based in Europe.

I enjoyed Tunisia so much (and felt perfectly safe) that I booked a two week land tour there in 2014. It was a wonderful experience. I found Tunisians to be friendly and welcoming to tourists. Overall the country is more moderate -- not extremist. Unfortunately, they share a border with Libya, and the complete chaos there provides a point of access to individuals/groups looking to cause trouble.

I don't know that I would recommend a visit to Tunisia just at this particular moment, but I am happy to see cruise lines are optimistic enough to continue putting it on the schedules in future and hopefully the situation will be stable enough to allow them to actually make the stop there.