Sleevless tops for women?

My mother, sister and I are starting to figure our our wardrobe for our cruise in the Adventure in September. For formal night we will probably just wear dress slacks and fancy tops, however, most fancy tops for women are sleeveless. Will these be acceptable or will we have to wear some sort of cardigan over these? I'm used to the relaxed atmosphere of NCL, so I'm really stressing over the MDR dress lol. Thanks in advance for the help :)

My mother, sister and I are starting to figure our our wardrobe for our cruise in the Adventure in September. For formal night we will probably just wear dress slacks and fancy tops, however, most fancy tops for women are sleeveless. Will these be acceptable or will we have to wear some sort of cardigan over these? I'm used to the relaxed atmosphere of NCL, so I'm really stressing over the MDR dress lol. Thanks in advance for the help :)

you will be fine. Nothing is enforced, you can wear what you like.

Sleeveless dresses/tops are perfectly acceptable for dinner in the MDR. You may want to pack a light wrap/sweater as dining room temperatures can vary by ship and where you are sitting.

Enjoy your cruise and don't stress the small stuff!:D

You will be fine. With the number of strapless, very tight and short dresses we saw last week (think Vegas) you can wear whatever you feel pretty in. As it is so warm I found that I was most comfortable in sleeveless dresses though carried a lightweight linen cardigan in case it was cool though rarely put it on. It was a great cruise - have fun!

Women are welcome to go sleeveless, even strapless, if they want... it's just the men who can't wear "wifebeater" t-shirts into the dining room.

I've never needed a wrap...even tho I've lugged one on every cruise!

Edited by cb at sea

funny none of my fancy tops are sleeveless.

but I prefer a cover up anyway. gets very cold in the indoor public areas.

If you forget a wrap or shawl they sell $10. Wraps in every color. Enjoy your cruise the planning of these little details I love!!

Hey thanks for mentioning they sell wraps. I'm normally hot here at home, but on the ship's there are some cold spots. We haven't been on Royal in a few years, so your advice, though not for meant for me, was really helpful.

:). Bobbi

If you forget a wrap or shawl they sell $10. Wraps in every color. Enjoy your cruise the planning of these little details I love!!

Yes, surprisingly, the $10 fake pashminas are pretty nice quality. ;) :)

I just got off Adventure in May. You will be fine with your "fancy tops". We saw every kind of attire in the MDR on formal night. I wore a shawl over my shoulders ONLY because I get chilled easily in the evenings, but it wasn't a requirement. Don't stress; it's not that serious. Go and have a great sailing!

Hey thanks for mentioning they sell wraps. I'm normally hot here at home, but on the ship's there are some cold spots. We haven't been on Royal in a few years, so your advice, though not for meant for me, was really helpful.

:). Bobbi

[emoji41][emoji267]

It's called a double standard. it is fine for a woman but men are vilified for the same. So the answer is "Yes" since you asked about women.

Men sleeveless= underarm hair very visible

Women sleeveless = no underarm hair (for the majority, I know some countries don't

shave, but that would be a minority).

Not a double standard, just gross otherwise.

Women sleeveless = no underarm hair (for the majority, I know some countries don't

Both drip sweat. Doesn't matter which country one comes from.

Having a policy but letting one group slide because of their gender is pretty much text book definition of double standard.

Both drip sweat. Doesn't matter which country one comes from.

I have to honestly say that I have never DRIPPED sweat. And I grew up on the beach. I sweat, but not dripping. Plus, it's WAAAY too cold in the MDR to sweat, LOL....

Having a policy but letting one group slide because of their gender is pretty much text book definition of double standard.

dou·ble stand·ard

noun

noun: double standard; plural noun: double standards

a rule or principle that is unfairly applied in different ways to different people or groups.

UNFAIRLY being the key word here. I don't feel it's unfair based on the reasoning that I gave. Just my opinion.

Well, unfair is discriminating against someone because of their gender. No different than any other dress code policy violation that is enforced against men but not against women. It is de facto sexism. Now, I am not really bothered by a woman in a tank top at all. I think it is fine. But I'm calling it as it is; certain rules on Royal only apply to men even though the rules don't come out and say it.

...and then there are some men that do shave their underarm hair.

My dear departed mother used to say that women of a certain age had no business wearing shorts - she transitioned to capris, etc. in her 70's, and she had great legs.

I must be turning into her, because I often think to myself that many women (age not necessarily a factor, and myself included) have no business wearing sleeveless tops.

Not judging, so no need to flame, just sayin'.

The upper arm is rarely an attractive body part......use your mirror, ladies.