Summit has azipod problem leaving from New York

Tangocherie

She left Bayonne about a half hour late....thought I heard a whale was seen in the water????? Thoughts with everyone on the ship....hope they get the problem fixed.

I'm pretty sure the "liquor is flowing".....;)

Bet the American passengers are also on home cell/wifi service :)

whales have been back outside the harbor for the last 8 years or so-we even have whale watching tours out of Breezy Point/Rockaway. in fact an NCL ship caught one on its bow 2 or 3 years ago. hope everything works out for the ship. Guess they got the extended SoL viewing time.

I'm onboard. Just had dinner and went to my room. We are heading back to Bayonne to dock and get more assistance. The first announcement was not about azipods but rather about right propulsion. Not sure if they are linked. The lights are on in my cabin! All entertainment going as planned. We are going very very slow back to the pier though.

SORRY FOR THE TYPOS. Doing this on my phone.

Edited by goldesq

Hi!

As we dined on land with view of Statue of Liberty and Norwegian Breakaway

in view this late afternoon, we noticed your ship, the Summit, not moving. We've been on Celebrity many times and have had pod problems also- one time missing Puerto Rico.

Although it's a beautiful night and you have a great view, we feel bad for you missing your cruise. We hope that the repair will be made quickly and you'll get to Bermuda.

Our best to all-

M and K

Hi!

As we dined on land with view of Statue of Liberty and Norwegian Breakaway

in view this late afternoon, we noticed your ship, the Summit, not moving. We've been on Celebrity many times and have had pod problems also- one time missing Puerto Rico.

Although it's a beautiful night and you have a great view, we feel bad for you missing your cruise. We hope that the repair will be made quickly and you'll get to Bermuda.

Our best to all-

M and K

Thank you. I look at it this way, I would rather the Captain have us all be safe than make a quick decision to go and have issues way out at sea. Sure...I'd be disappointed if it canceled but it llooks like we might have at least one night on the ship! Already heard some nice music and had yummy prime rib!

We are almost back at the Pier now!

You have a great attitude on this...I hope you can spread it among your shipmates. What do some of them want? Return to the dock and go home?

If they get the problem fixed, the Summit has ample capability to recover a lot of lost time enroute to Bermuda....

Your absolutely right, years ago Celebrity ran two ships to Bermuda every week. One left on Saturday and arrived in Bermuda Monday morning, the other left Sunday and arrived on Tues. Plenty of time.

Thank you. I look at it this way, I would rather the Captain have us all be safe than make a quick decision to go and have issues way out at sea. Sure...I'd be disappointed if it canceled but it llooks like we might have at least one night on the ship! Already heard some nice music and had yummy prime rib!

We are almost back at the Pier now!

Thanks to you, too, for sharing your experience and any updates with us...

I imagine the folks on the cruises following yours are very interested, as well...

All the best to you, and your shipmates....

Since no one has mentioned it, the M class ships have since their launch had a problem with the Azipods which went as far as necessitating a law suit against the manufacturer which Celebrity won. These breakdowns were quite frequent in the few years after all the M class ships came out. If anyone wishes to check it out and the frequent number of sailings that were disrupted or cancelled, a search on this board will come up with loads of responses. They have not had many problems in the past few years.

Just pointing this out as an FYI, assuming it is an Azipod but from past experience it sure sounds like it.

I hope the Summit and her staff and crew can make up for any unhappiness on board. This ship has terrific people and I am certain Capt. Leo is going to do everything possible to get the cruise under way if it can be done safely.

If anyone on board is unhappy enough to want to leave, I would be very happy to occupy your cabin. :)

Since no one has mentioned it, the M class ships have since their launch had a problem with the Azipods which went as far as necessitating a law suit against the manufacturer which Celebrity won. These breakdowns were quite frequent in the few years after all the M class ships came out. If anyone wishes to check it out and the frequent number of sailings that were disrupted or cancelled, a search on this board will come up with loads of responses. They have not had many problems in the past few years.

Just pointing this out as an FYI, assuming it is an Azipod but from past experience it sure sounds like it.

The azipod problems were not just a problem for 'M' Class ship's, but many other's as well....and from different manufacturer's...just something inherent in their design, I suppose. Lots of them seem to prematurely wear out their thrust bearings, I believe....

I hope the Summit and her staff and crew can make up for any unhappiness on board. This ship has terrific people and I am certain Capt. Leo is going to do everything possible to get the cruise under way if it can be done safely.

If anyone on board is unhappy enough to want to leave, I would be very happy to occupy your cabin. :)

At this point, I can't see why anyone would be unhappy. The cruise isn't cancelled, we have electricity, food and drinks. There is full entertainment. What's to be unhappy about?

I am certain Capt. Leo is going to do everything possible to get the cruise under way if it can be done safely.

/quote]

Oh yes, Anne -- I definitely agree about Captain Leo. After all, he's the Captain who tried to out-run the hurricane, on the way to Bermuda last year. And, despite not being successful, he did get the Summit (and all aboard her) safely to the Bahamas, for an enjoyable cruise. I'm sure that, if there is any way to salvage this cruise, Captain Leo will find it! :cool:

At this point, I can't see why anyone would be unhappy. The cruise isn't cancelled, we have electricity, food and drinks. There is full entertainment. What's to be unhappy about?

A friend called me and said he is upset that there is no Pepsi and gambling on board at this time. That is what he is unhappy about.