Can I have blood tests on Prinsendam?

I am a cancer patient and I need weekly blood tests sent in to MD Anderson in Houston Texas. I have called HAL to ask this question and am awaiting a return call from "Fleet medical".

I just thought some one on this forum might know the answer.

Carol

I am a cancer patient and I need weekly blood tests sent in to MD Anderson in Houston Texas. I have called HAL to ask this question and am awaiting a return call from "Fleet medical".

Carol

My guess, based on answers we have seen for people that have dialysis (yes I know this isn't the same thing) is that you can make appointments in port to have something done but that the ship may not be equipped to assist as the medical center onboard really is more of a triage center.

I would definitely wait until you hear from fleet medical though as that will be the authoritative entity on the matter.

A thumbs down?

You need a blood draw, the resulting sample is sent to Houston? Or you need the ship to draw the blood, test it is some way, and send the results? The former is probably possible- blood draws are fairly simple. However, if you need the blood analyzed, that is a far more complex question.

Of course our opinions are of little value. HAL Medical will have the only opinion that matters.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Carol

Carol, don't do it! I too am undergoing treatment for cancer. I recently took a cruise, to celebrate completing my first round of chemo. I got sick on the cruise. My conclusion is immune compromised people should be careful traveling.

I got edema in my extremities. Whether it is from the food or from the water, it was a clear indication that my electrolytes were out of whack.

I got the "cruise crud" that is an URI with a fever. A month later and I am just about over it, but it was a bit of a battle that could have turned differently.

I tried to be careful of what I ate. Too many stories about G.I. diseases had me reaching for the Purell at every chance. If I would have gotten the Noro, I might not have died, but I would be wishing I would.

I asked the doctors about a cruise before the trip, not having an opinion they saw nothing wrong with it. I have since shared my new opinion with them.

I would say, wait until your Chi is back and your Chakra is strong, there'll be plenty of time for cruising later. Enjoy what is in your life now.

I would not take a cruise where I was required to send weekly blood tests to my doctor.

You are sailing on the Prinsendam which indicates to me that you are going to be in a lot of foreign ports where you may be sent to doctors/hospitals that are not as clean as ours and who knows if your samples would be handled correctly and sent to your doctor.

Not only will you have to take care about contagious illness aboard the ship but presumably you will have to fly to meet the ship and so many get sick from flying. I think I would wait until you may be more resistant to infectious disease. Wishing you and Lottie both a full and rapid recovery.

Whoops, yes I thought that was a question mark!

To the posters concerned about my cruising because of the cancer treatment:

I have cruised several times during treatment. I too have Purell with me at all times and avoid buffets and wipe down all surfaces in my cabin as soon as I arrive. I never touch handrails with bare hands etc.

As for the blood draw:

I just need CBC & CMP results sent back weekly because I am in a clinical trial.

Once in a while my potassium gets low and i need to take a supplement for a few days.

Thank you for your concern, but I have a chronic condition so as long as chemo can keep my disease stable I have decided to enjoy the days I have.

Carol

I have cruised several times during treatment. I too have Purell with me at all times and avoid buffets and wipe down all surfaces in my cabin as soon as I arrive. I never touch handrails with bare hands etc.

As for the blood draw:

I just need CBC & CMP results sent back weekly because I am in a clinical trial.

Once in a while my potassium gets low and i need to take a supplement for a few days.

Thank you for your concern, but I have a chronic condition so as long as chemo can keep my disease stable I have decided to enjoy the days I have.

Carol

I like your attitude.:) I have cruised with someone in the midst of battling cancer, I don't know anything about testing or what else was required, but he had the same attitude - do it while he could. He had a great time and didn't regret it. As long as you are aware of the risks and your own limitations, then I don't see why not.

As for the blood draw:

Carol

I can't answer your question and I hope someone at HAL can help you. That said, I see a lot of cancer patients on cruises and I say more power to them. You know your circumstances and I'm sure you'll take precautions. I think it's great to enjoy life as much as possible. Best wishes to you and Lottie Linda.

You can have a cbc drawn. Not familiar with the other test you will see the MD the first visit and be charged a consultation fee. You will then be charged for the blood test. After that you will just be charged the test fee The results can be emailed to your md

Terry

Edited by boone2

I would not take a cruise where I was required to send weekly blood tests to my doctor.

You are sailing on the Prinsendam which indicates to me that you are going to be in a lot of foreign ports where you may be sent to doctors/hospitals that are not as clean as ours and who knows if your samples would be handled correctly and sent to your doctor.

in The EU, ( and Norway and Iceland) you can be sure that any hospital or medical staff is at least as well trained as in the USA/ Canada, and this goes as well,for any Australian/ NZ destination and Japan/Korea/Taiwan.

What makes people in the US think that they have the epitome in Healthcare?!

( ER and Grey's anatomy is not reality)

As someone who also needs regular blood tests due to an auto-immune disease and being on chronic chemo, YES you can get many blood tests drawn and analyzed on HAL ships. Like Carol, this has nor will not prevent me from cruising (doing the WC in Jan so out for 4 months - life is short and there is just too much to see and do)! HAL medical will be able to let you know which ones but I get liver and kidney function plus blood cell tests done. These are not cheap but your insurance may pay part of the cost. My MD has cut down on the tests needed when I cruise due to the expense.

Having the results sent to your MD may be a little harder. Do understand that they like results but will your MD make any changes for you while cruising or are the results informational only? My MD worked out a chart of results for me as I am allowed to adjust my chemo and other drugs based on the test results without consulting him. He also shared his email address in case I had questions. Maybe ask if you can email results or just bring the results in when you return.

If your MD allows you to cruise, have a wonderful time as being immuno-compromised has never been an issue for me - but you do have to be extra careful and use lots of hand washing and Purell.

in The EU, ( and Norway and Iceland) you can be sure that any hospital or medical staff is at least as well trained as in the USA/ Canada, and this goes as well,for any Australian/ NZ destination and Japan/Korea/Taiwan.

When I broke my ankle in Estonia and had to have surgery there, I felt that I got good care. The hospital was very clean and all the staff seemed to know what they were doing. My surgeon was actually Russian. The main difference between hospitals in the US and the hospital I was in there was that they didn't have all the "extras" that don't really have anything to do with healthcare and are more about comfort. I had the impression that a lot of extras are generally provided by the patients' families.

When I got home and saw an orthopedic surgeon for follow up care, I asked him if they would have treated my injury the same way back home. He said that the only thing they would have done differently would have been to use a longer screw to tie the tibia and fibula together. (This screw is temporary and used to allow the ligaments to heal. The concern is that it can break if too much weight is put on it. Apparently, in the US they use a screw that goes all the way through both bones, so if it breaks, they can remove the broken piece from the other side.)

I'm glad that, if I had to have an injury, it happened in Europe. I've been on tours in the Caribbean where they've mentioned that some islands don't have any more that Urgent Care. Residents have to go to another island to find an actual hospital.

<snip>

I'm glad that, if I had to have an injury, it happened in Europe. I've been on tours in the Caribbean where they've mentioned that some islands don't have any more that Urgent Care. Residents have to go to another island to find an actual hospital.

I agree I'd much rather have an injury or illness while in Europe than in the Caribbean.

Agree. Too many in this country have been brainwashed to believe that the U.S. has the best care. Not the best and certainly not the cheapest.

Agree. Too many in this country have been brainwashed to believe that the U.S. has the best care. Not the best and certainly not the cheapest.

As a retired 'health care professional' who has worked all over the world - you are so correct! The US definitely does not have the best health care - check stats like newborn survival - do not think we even make the top 25 list.

Thank you to everyone for the replies & reassurance !

Knowing that I will receive a copy of blood test results & then I can email the results to MD Anderson is a great help. They go over the results & do tell me if I need supplements such as potassium or if any other numbers are of concern. At times magnesium is low & I take tablets with me for that too.

I will not let cancer limit my enjoyment ( and that of my dear husband/caregiver) as every day is precious for everyone!

Have to call HAL again as no one from "Fleet Medical" returned my call.

However, as usual, fellow cruisers can be counted on for good information!

Thank you all so very much...

Carol