Celebrity Cruise Line Complaints

Travel Hunter

Following your "complaint" theme, here I go.

Currently in the process of booking our 1st Celebrity cruise, and so far it's been exasperating. I'm simply trying to get us off the 8:30 dining waiting list onto the 6:00 dining waiting list...you'd think I was trying to get a curbside pickup from Celebrity.

I've written them 3 times about this request...no response at all. I called Celebrity yesterday, was on hold for 30 minutes before a person came on the line, spent over 10 minutes...mostly having me on hold to deal with my request. Eventually she assured me, she'd taken care of my request for transfer to the 6:00 waiting list. She didn't, we're still on the 8:30 list.

Ultimately we want to get a dining package, but will not do this until we have an assigned dining time and have prepaid gratuities taken off our bill.

If this simple issue causes so much heartburn between Celebrity and us; maybe we'll just switch back and stick with Royal Caribbean.

You may be on the waitlist but still on the 830 dining. I don't think they would take you off 830 until the 6pm clears. Otherwise, you are stuck with Select and have to do pre-paid grats and they aren't going to switch you to Select without an ok from you for the money.

So are you stating that Celebrity should provide a future cruise credit as you believe Southwest does

Let's not do the read tween the line. No I am not. We are not Tier 5 but use our Reward point's to fly. They have their program rules, and Celebrity has their, simple.

When you booked, you were okay with the price. Nobody is ever forced to book a cruise. By constantly checking for a better deal, you usually get frustrated. With all the new perks, etc., most prices go up until after the final payment is due. You booked when you thought that your fare was an amount that you were willing to pay. I book air tickets and often hotel rooms at a nonrefundable price. They usually are a good price. When I book that way, I avoid checking prices again. I cannot change it. If prices go up, I feel smart. However, if later prices drop, I will feel dumb. Avoid the situation by only booking when YOU are happy with the fare. Never ever ask anyone on the cruise what they paid. It can only make one of you feel bad. Relax, enjoy your cruise and stop complaining.

I agree that is not fair

Fair is where you go to pet the farm animals.

A contract is what the O.P. has with Celebrity.

Celebrity doesn't have the same refund policies as Macy's, and Macy's doesn't sell cruises.

Not to throw salt in the wound but I've looked at some of the OP's other posts and they have the same theme... complain, one line responses, ignore common sense, etc... repeat.

This is not Macy's or any other store (let me know when Macy's starts selling cruises). Sorry you don't like Celebrity's policy but it's pretty much IDENTICAL to the other lines.

Move on......

That has nothing to do with Celebrity, it has to do with the laws in the EU and/or the country you are in.

Yes and No. There is nothing in the laws that requires Celebrity to not allow cancellations, refunding of deposits, etc. So those practices are a business decision by Celebrity.

With that said some of the laws in Europe, such as the UK 1992 PTR do allow the consumer some protections that could be considered to raise the risk profile for a travel business selling in that market. A company would have to document consumer requested changes to a much higher degree then in the US. Easy way out, don't allow changes.

Add in currency risk and some other factors (such as relationships with travel agents) in doing business and you have a range of things that can drive the differences in business practices.

Bottom line is they could change the practices if they decided it was in their business interests to do so. Of course as long as their competition (land based travel packages as well as cruise lines) does the same thing they really don't need to,

Edited by RDC1

Cruise price was ok when you booked it, wasn't it? Now they make an offer for new bookings only. You aren't making a new booking, so you don't qualify. Seems pretty simple, what if they made an offer for residents of Ketchikan Alaska only? No matter how low tge price or how good tge offer, you wouldn't qualify. Similar here, you don't qualify and should let it go

Yes and No. There is nothing in the laws that requires Celebrity to not allow cancellations, refunding of deposits, etc. So those practices are a business decision by Celebrity.

With that said some of the laws in Europe, such as the UK 1992 PTR do allow the consumer some protections that could be considered to raise the risk profile for a travel business selling in that market. A company would have to document consumer requested changes to a much higher degree then in the US. Easy way out, don't allow changes.

Add in currency risk and some other factors (such as relationships with travel agents) in doing business and you have a range of things that can drive the differences in business practices.

Bottom line is they could change the practices if they decided it was in their business interests to do so. Of course as long as their competition (land based travel packages as well as cruise lines) does the same thing they really don't need to,

Bottom line is they could change the practices if they decided it was in their business interests to do so. I couldn't agree more and we should let them know, as frequent passengers and stockholders, when their process's and practices should be reviewed.

Bottom line is they could change the practices if they decided it was in their business interests to do so. I couldn't agree more and we should let them know, as frequent passengers and stockholders, when their process's and practices should be reviewed.

It is what it is when the price goes down and you've made your final payment. This policy needs to remain because it is not in Celebrity's or other cruiselines' business interest to rebook their pax at lower prices when reduced pricing is designed to fill a ship so as to maximize profit.

Fortunately, this is allowed prior to final payment!

Hopefully you'll have learned from this experience and either wait to book until after the final payment in hopes of an exciting deal or book early and monitor price drops.

Edited by TMLAalum

I'm happy that cruise lines stick to this policy. It gives us the opportunity to find the best deal or itinerary at a price that we can live with and if you book early you have until final payment to get any adjustments or to cancel without losing your deposit. It also gives those who have more flexibility in regards to time, category choice or itinerary the opportunity to catch a bargain after final payment. I think this policy is more than generous and they have every right not to offer a price adjustment after final payment and I support them in the decision.

Celebrity doesn't have the same refund policies as Macy's, and Macy's doesn't sell cruises.

Gosh I sure wish they did! I love Macy's. Imagine going in there with your 20% off coupon.:D

OP I'm sorry you feel you overpaid but many have stated the rules are the rules. Exciting deals are "New Individual Bookings Only" written right under the Exciting Deals title. Did you get any perks with your original price? Remember to subtract the value of those from your loss of $1000. Maybe that will make you feel better. No perks with Exciting Deals.

Same thing happened to me and it wasn't an exciting deal. They lowered the prices of guarantee verandas to what I had already paid for my inside stateroom. I just asked to be upgraded to the guarantee veranda since I paid the same amount. They said no. It was after final payment.

So some new person could come along and book, pay what I paid for an inside and get a veranda.

Same thing happened to me and it wasn't an exciting deal. They lowered the prices of guarantee verandas to what I had already paid for my inside stateroom. I just asked to be upgraded to the guarantee veranda since I paid the same amount. They said no. It was after final payment.

So some new person could come along and book, pay what I paid for an inside and get a veranda.

Or, you could have not booked your inside early, waited until they put the verandas on sale, and gotten one for the price you paid for your inside..........right ?

Of course the downside of that strategy is the only verandas left might well be the ones no one wants. Under a busy deck, next to a service area for instance. Also on last minute sales you sometimes have no choice on dining times.................Select may well be the only option.

Sometimes better the devil you know.

Edited by WpgCruise

Or, you could have not booked your inside early, waited until they put the verandas on sale, and gotten one for the price you paid for your inside..........right ?

Of course the downside of that strategy is the only verandas left might well be the ones no one wants. Under a busy deck, next to a service area for instance. Also on last minute sales you sometimes have no choice on dining times.................Select may well be the only option.

And of course there is always the airfare / hotel issue

We didn't book our inside early either. It was after final payment - I think it was 7-8 weeks prior to sailing and then 4 weeks later the verandas dropped. Which was strange because they weren't showing much availability when I booked the inside.

You may be on the waitlist but still on the 830 dining. I don't think they would take you off 830 until the 6pm clears. Otherwise, you are stuck with Select and have to do pre-paid grats and they aren't going to switch you to Select without an ok from you for the money.

Thanks for the good/useful feedback.

Celebrity hasn't contacted me yet, days and multiple e-mails later. So we cancelled the on-line reservation and are working with a travel agent (for the same cruise) instead; seems to be working out much better...so far.

I see your Elite Plus, Celebrity should be willing to offer you a Veranda, based on all the cruises you have taken with them. Or at least provide you with some other consideration. Seems as though, inadvertently, their process rewards those that look for a cheap deal, as opposed to rewarding frequent loyal passengers

That is a consideration, at least you would have the choice of accepting a cabin with a less desirable location as opposed to being told too bad.

We didn't book our inside early either. It was after final payment - I think it was 7-8 weeks prior to sailing and then 4 weeks later the verandas dropped. Which was strange because they weren't showing much availability when I booked the inside.

The same happened to me but the Aqua class dropped $1000 less than I paid for a Veranda two weeks after I booked. I have heard of others being able to get some consideration from Celebrity

I see your Elite Plus, Celebrity should be willing to offer you a Veranda, based on all the cruises you have taken with them. Or at least provide you with some other consideration. Seems as though, inadvertently, their process rewards those that look for a cheap deal, as opposed to rewarding frequent loyal passengers

Yes, I feel that they could do a better job at this. I mean I wasn't asking for money back but it's obvious they didn't want me to give up my inside cabin since they would have had a harder time getting rid of that than selling someone a guarantee veranda for $1,399.