QM2 transatlantic crossing with kids - what to expect?

Katgoesonholiday

Hi, we have just booked our family onto a transatlantic crossing from NY to Southampton next year and will be bringing our three sons with us. Our biggest concern is whether there will be enough to keep them happy. The younger two will be 8 and 10 and the oldest will be 14.

The older one will be happy hanging out with his Dad and I if there is nothing that interests in with the youth program. But if we don't have a couple of hours where the younger two can go roar around with other kids and do arts and crafts and stuff then its not going to be a very relaxing voyage for my husband and I!

Any thoughts, advice or suggestions?

Hi, we have just booked our family onto a transatlantic crossing from NY to Southampton next year and will be bringing our three sons with us. Our biggest concern is whether there will be enough to keep them happy. The younger two will be 8 and 10 and the oldest will be 14.

The older one will be happy hanging out with his Dad and I if there is nothing that interests in with the youth program. But if we don't have a couple of hours where the younger two can go roar around with other kids and do arts and crafts and stuff then its not going to be a very relaxing voyage for my husband and I!

There's a kids program on all Cunard ships. From what I've seen this is an area where Cunard falls down. There seemed to be things for younger ones to do, but teenagers were generally bored (especially the older ones).

Personally, if I was taking a family on a cruise it would be with Royal Caribbean - they are much more geared towards kids and give the adults a much needed break.

If travelling Cunard I'd leave the kids at home if possible. It's far more geared towards adults.

Given that the one teenager seems to be content to hang with the parents, doesn't it appear that Cunard's kids program will be good for the younger two?

I'm hoping so! The kids only need a few hours. Otherwise they love hanging out with us and swimming in the pool or playing games or watching a movie. On our Disney cruise six months ago they only went to the clubs for a few hours each day - but there were more port stops which made a difference.

bringing our three sons with us. Our biggest concern is whether there will be enough to keep them happy. The younger two will be 8 and 10 and the oldest will be 14.

But if we don't have a couple of hours where the younger two can go roar around with other kids and do arts and crafts and stuff then its not going to be a very relaxing voyage for my husband and I!

My children have crossed the pond at all sorts of ages over the years on the QM2, and we are crossing again in a few months. My now 10 year old son is truly looking forward to his 7th crossing. Cunard has a great program for at least your 8-10 year olds, but it depends on their interests. They keep them very busy with various fun activities, free time with computer games, hockey on the deck, crafts, board games, etc. The staff are truly wonderful and have a great time with the kids. You will have to check your 8-10 yo out for an hour or so for lunch and dinner, and in the summer they close a little later ... around 11PM? I think... usually watching a movie late at night or playing video games. But overall my kids beg to spend their time in the children's zone; although I make a strong effort to spend time with the kids playing "tennis"/paddle ball, ping pong, ring toss, going to the pool, shuffle board, (and basketball back in the day when they had the court), and also boardgames on oceanview boardgame row, watch a movie in the theater (e.g. Lego Movie), planetarium etc.

Your 14 year old could get bored, but it really depends on the kid. The gregarious type 14 yo typically have a blast as they hook up with some similar aged friends... especially on a July crossing.

--

whyohwhyoh

We saw a very strange phenomenon on board the QM2 doing a TA:

Have you seen The Invasion Of The Body Snatchers ?

In the film, the people who have had their bodies taken over start following each other and form in to groups without anyone speaking. So people walk down a street, some people sitting say on a bench will just get up and follow them, forming a bigger group, and so on. No speaking, they just sort of attract each other.

Well, that's what we saw teenagers do on the ship. They were somehow communicating without speaking and forming into large groups and then just wondering around, and as the group passed other teenagers, they would just stop what they were doing, stand up, and follow the group.

It was a bit like watching birds flock - they formed into a large mass of the them.

Edited by ToadOfToadHall

My children have crossed the pond at all sorts of ages over the years on the QM2, and we are crossing again in a few months. My now 10 year old son is truly looking forward to his 7th crossing. Cunard has a great program for at least your 8-10 year olds, but it depends on their interests. They keep them very busy with various fun activities, free time with computer games, hockey on the deck, crafts, board games, etc. The staff are truly wonderful and have a great time with the kids. You will have to check your 8-10 yo out for an hour or so for lunch and dinner, and in the summer they close a little later ... around 11PM? I think... usually watching a movie late at night or playing video games. But overall my kids beg to spend their time in the children's zone; although I make a strong effort to spend time with the kids playing "tennis"/paddle ball, ping pong, ring toss, going to the pool, shuffle board, (and basketball back in the day when they had the court), and also boardgames on oceanview boardgame row, watch a movie in the theater (e.g. Lego Movie), planetarium etc.

Your 14 year old could get bored, but it really depends on the kid. The gregarious type 14 yo typically have a blast as they hook up with some similar aged friends... especially on a July crossing.

--

whyohwhyoh

That is great to hear! I am really reassured by that. Those all sound like activities my younger two would love. Though like you we also love the time we spend together as family on board. We built some great family traditions on our last cruise, which was the kids first, and we look forward to continuing these on the QM2.

The 14 year isn't a gregarious kid. He's pretty reserved but he's also quite intellectual so he'll probably enjoy the lectures. Not to mention that hours can pass quite happily if he has his kindle and a steady supply of mango smoothies!

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

We saw a very strange phenomenon on board the QM2 doing a TA:

Have you seen The Invasion Of The Body Snatchers ?

Yikes! I shall remain alert for such a phenomenon and should I see it, I will immediately take evasive maneuvers and hide under my bed with as much alcohol as I can find.

There's a kids program on all Cunard ships. From what I've seen this is an area where Cunard falls down. There seemed to be things for younger ones to do, but teenagers were generally bored (especially the older ones).

Personally, if I was taking a family on a cruise it would be with Royal Caribbean - they are much more geared towards kids and give the adults a much needed break.

If travelling Cunard I'd leave the kids at home if possible. It's far more geared towards adults.

OP was talking about a family "crossing" not a "cruise" - RC does not do crossings, and leaving half the family behind kind of runs against the concept. In any event, an older teenager should be able to find interesting activities, do some reading, or even (GASP!!!) spend some time with parents.

OP was talking about a family "crossing" not a "cruise" - RC does not do crossings, and leaving half the family behind kind of runs against the concept. In any event, an older teenager should be able to find interesting activities, do some reading, or even (GASP!!!) spend some time with parents.

If I was taking children across the Atlantic I would fly rather than do a "crossing".

I applaud your optimism in younger people, but unfortunately many teenagers today tend to lack the ability (and imagination) to occupy themselves in a meaningful way.

On QM2 groups of teens wandered the ship on the Transatlantic I took and caused trouble for crew and passengers (as I've commented before, several of them took to manipulating the breakfast cards on stateroom doors late at night).

Based on complaints I heard from parents of teenagers on my crossing (I happened to dine with a couple of people travelling with teens during the time on board) there was a lot for the little ones but virtually nothing for the older children.

By all means, take children on a cruise with ports and such. But a "crossing"? I think that's going to prove rather boring for the average youngster. I notice Disney cruises was mentioned as a past experience for the OPs family. Well, Cunard isn't Disney and I wouldn't expect anywhere near the same kind of youth programme on QM2 as I would on say Disney Magic.

I'm not saying the OPs children are terrible btw. I'm merely pointing out (based on observation and what ive heard from travelling parents) that I feel Cunard doesn't cater well in this area.

In fact, it is something I suggested to their head office after my Transatlantic - roaming, idle teens in ship corridors was not something I particularly liked seeing (or hearing as happened on a couple of occasions as I tried to relax or sleep).

If I was taking children across the Atlantic I would fly rather than do a "crossing".

I applaud your optimism in younger people, but unfortunately many teenagers today tend to lack the ability (and imagination) to occupy themselves in a meaningful way.

On QM2 groups of teens wandered the ship on the Transatlantic I took and caused trouble for crew and passengers (as I've commented before, several of them took to manipulating the breakfast cards on stateroom doors late at night).

Based on complaints I heard from parents of teenagers on my crossing (I happened to dine with a couple of people travelling with teens during the time on board) there was a lot for the little ones but virtually nothing for the older children.

By all means, take children on a cruise with ports and such. But a "crossing"? I think that's going to prove rather boring for the average youngster. I notice Disney cruises was mentioned as a past experience for the OPs family. Well, Cunard isn't Disney and I wouldn't expect anywhere near the same kind of youth programme on QM2 as I would on say Disney Magic.

I'm not saying the OPs children are terrible btw. I'm merely pointing out (based on observation and what ive heard from travelling parents) that I feel Cunard doesn't cater well in this area.

In fact, it is something I suggested to their head office after my Transatlantic - roaming, idle teens in ship corridors was not something I particularly liked seeing (or hearing as happened on a couple of occasions as I tried to relax or sleep).

I don't know how old your children are, but ALL the ones I saw on our last trip looked as if they were having a great time.

I am quite happy to see teens idling around as that's what some of them do best while on holiday, hanging out, as long as they don't cause a problem of course. It is their holiday too.

We've never come across a child/teen centred problem on-board a Cunard ship, either a regular cruise or a crossing. We've not heard of any complaints either, from passengers or parents. You must have been unlucky, or have we just been very lucky?

I don't know how old your children are, but ALL the ones I saw on our last trip looked as if they were having a great time.

I am quite happy to see teens idling around as that's what some of them do best while on holiday, hanging out, as long as they don't cause a problem of course. It is their holiday too.

We've never come across a child/teen centred problem on-board a Cunard ship, either a regular cruise or a crossing. We've not heard of any complaints either, from passengers or parents. You must have been unlucky, or have we just been very lucky?

Some of the replies do not seem to have read the op thread.

They have already booked this crossing, so suggesting they fly is a bit of a dead duck.

Crossings except on repositioning cruises,which only happen at certain times of the year, are only undertaken by QM2, so suggesting other cruise lines are a bit of a dead duck.

OP do you think your eldest might like the planetarium talk. If he is that way included I am sure he would find it interesting.

Download films onto his tablet before you go,so he can watch them.

I would suggest looking for whales etc,but when we recently did a TA, the only thing living we saw for a few minutes one day were some flying fish. No birds either.

They have already booked this crossing, so suggesting they fly is a bit of a dead duck.

Crossings except on repositioning cruises,which only happen at certain times of the year, are only undertaken by QM2, so suggesting other cruise lines are a bit of a dead duck.

OP do you think your eldest might like the planetarium talk. If he is that way included I am sure he would find it interesting.

Download films onto his tablet before you go,so he can watch them.

I would suggest looking for whales etc,but when we recently did a TA, the only thing living we saw for a few minutes one day were some flying fish. No birds either.

You quote my post, but I don't think I mentioned flying and I did read the opening post.

I replied to a post which indicated a crossing wasn't suitable for children/teens. I think it's fine.

I understand what you are saying as the OP has stated what has been booked and is seeking opinions on the likely outcome being successful or not. Then people seem to be in a parallel universe saying more or less don't do it. The suggestion of going on a family cruise on Royal Caribbean seems a good idea on the face of it but that poster has never done that and this seems to imply they have never taken children on a family cruise anyway. Going on Cunard and leaving the kids at home was another masterful suggestion from another world.

ToadofToadHall has noticed a flocculation effect with teenagers which I think will more likely happen and eldest will have a good cruise albeit different from the younger siblings. Probably need to go over a few rules here.

I think you will all have a good cruise of different genres. Your main problems will be keeping in touch with each other on board. I suggest you use post it notes in cabin and leave voice messages on your cabin telephone if the kids are up to mastering the tech! Keep in good contact with cabin steward as they are often about and are happy to know what's going on and pass on information. I should book a big table in the MDR which will give a fixed regime to follow and a few people for you to see regularly each night.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Hi Kategoesonholiday. If you haven't already seen it, perhaps you'd be interested in this info from the Cunard webpage regarding activities on board for children: https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/childrens_club

Have you posted on the roll call for your voyage? Perhaps there are other families with similar interests.

Have a wonderful family holiday!

Bon voyage,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Here is a video of our family's crossing last summer. Skip in about 45 seconds to get to the QM2 portion. We were traveling from northern California to Edinburgh last summer.... we don't fly, this is part 2.

--

whyohwhyoh

We have booked and paid our deposit and are all very much looking forward to the crossing.

My eldest is a highly intelligent, somewhat reserved and shy kid who doesn't easily click with more outgoing groups of teens. His biggest regret on our last cruise was 'Mum, I wish I'd spent more time hanging out with you and Dad.' He'll love the lectures, he'll join me on my runs in the morning, he'll get involved with whatever my husband and I are doing and happily chill out with his kindle or iPad if there is nothing else on offer. The chances of him joining a roving gang of troublemakers are pretty much zilch! He's more likely to spend his time roaming round the buffet filling his hollow lanky legs.

The younger two are more boisterous and will benefit from some structured activities with their own age group during the day. And from the responses it seems that Cunard provides this more than adequately. And I am quite a hands on parent so the younger boys will either be with me, or in the care of the kids staff. At no point will they be allowed to check themselves out of the club and go for a little wander, potentially disrupting other guests with their high spirits.

When on holiday together, we love to spend a lot of time together as a family. At home I care for three more teenaged boys who live with us in our home for most of the year, and my husband travels frequently for business so our family time is precious and valued by us all. We always eat all our meals together, usually in the restaurant, and attend the shows together. The kids love to dress up and use their restaurant manners. We really enjoy all the family activities. It's focussed time for us to be together and that is one thing that I am really looking forward to with the crossing.

Here is a video of our family's crossing last summer. Skip in about 45 seconds to get to the QM2 portion. We were traveling from northern California to Edinburgh last summer.... we don't fly, this is part 2.

--

whyohwhyoh

Gosh it looks great! You have gorgeous kids and it looks like they had a fabulous time with plenty to do.

We are already flying Auckland to Houston which is going to result in horrible jetlag. My worst fear is doing the two 12 hour legs with a break of only 2 hours in between and arriving in London with jetlag that takes a week to resolve! I'd much prefer to spend that week leisurely relaxing on a ocean liner whilst the time changes are gradually introduced an hour at a time overnight. I was a mess for a week last July when we went from Auckland to London to Venice with no more than three hours between the stops. This seems like a MUCH more civilized way of doing it, especially with kids!

Gosh it looks great! You have gorgeous kids and it looks like they had a fabulous time with plenty to do.

We are already flying Auckland to Houston which is going to result in horrible jetlag. My worst fear is doing the two 12 hour legs with a break of only 2 hours in between and arriving in London with jetlag that takes a week to resolve! I'd much prefer to spend that week leisurely relaxing on a ocean liner whilst the time changes are gradually introduced an hour at a time overnight. I was a mess for a week last July when we went from Auckland to London to Venice with no more than three hours between the stops. This seems like a MUCH more civilized way of doing it, especially with kids!

Most of my recent QM2 Eastbound crossings the clock has been changed at noon (overnight Westbound). I actually prefer that as there's no loss of sleep.

Roy

Yes, very civilized.

...And I'd go a step further and state that Cunard is one of the best lines to travel with children of any age.

We have traveled on other lines, Celebrity, Carnival a few times and I've found the children amazing on QM2 crossings. I actually have carried out interesting conversations with various teenagers, and the children tend to be more well behaved of all ages.

In addition, on most QM2 crossings you are not flooded with masses of children like on a Disney or Carnival cruise, which likely tends to keep things better controlled. Also on QM2 crossings it seems that all the children staff are UK citizens who are getting child care experience for future jobs, and are truly engaged and thoughtful caretakers.

--

whyohwhyoh

• 2 weeks later...

We thought crossing with the family was awesome. We had kids from 4 to 16 and they all really enjoyed it. The teen's used the Zone the most. The one who struggled with it was the 11 year old - he struggled not because it wasn't fun but because his teen brothers were is a separate group and could come and go as they pleased. Under 13's have a strict sign in/sign out policy. I will try and scan their activity guide for the kids zone and the teen zone and share it out. All in all there wasn't more than 12 kids in any one of the 3 age groups. Big enough to have fun, but it wasn't overwhelming. Even if they don't use the zone there is lots for kids of all ages to do on board.

We thought crossing with the family was awesome. We had kids from 4 to 16 and they all really enjoyed it. The teen's used the Zone the most. The one who struggled with it was the 11 year old - he struggled not because it wasn't fun but because his teen brothers were is a separate group and could come and go as they pleased. Under 13's have a strict sign in/sign out policy. I will try and scan their activity guide for the kids zone and the teen zone and share it out. All in all there wasn't more than 12 kids in any one of the 3 age groups. Big enough to have fun, but it wasn't overwhelming. Even if they don't use the zone there is lots for kids of all ages to do on board.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! It's great to hear additional personal experiences that confirm we aren't either daft or vastly inconsiderate of the other passengers to be doing this!

We are really looking forward to this and I will make sure I report back afterwards so I can add my own voice to these helpful first person accounts.