How do you dress for formal night(s)?

ladylyn915

Last week on the Breeze there plenty of people in shorts in the MDR on "elegant" night, including basketball type shorts. Plenty of hats, as well. On the first night there were even bathing suits with cover ups at dinner.

That's downright disrespectful.

Last week on the Breeze there plenty of people in shorts in the MDR on "elegant" night, including basketball type shorts. Plenty of hats, as well. On the first night there were even bathing suits with cover ups at dinner.

I have NEVER seen this on one of my cruises. The closest I have ever seen was an old man the wore overalls every night including in those days formal night. It didn't bother me and I enjoyed seeing him having a good time with his family.

I wish someone would take a picture sometimes and just show us it really happens.

I really don't care. I could not tell you what my neighbor was wearing. I do look for ridiculous shoes some of the women wear and I can't help but notice when a 400 pound woman in front of me was wearing lycra/spandex dress. I am still trying to figure out what that large bump over her thong was. Oh yes, I could even make out the tag on her bra because it had some kind of raised lettering on it. She thought she looked so good, with her ton of make up, high heeled shoes, a dress a min of 3 sizes too small and the over powering perfume. Now that, I noticed, but if she had not been directly in front of me I wouldn't have.

I rent a tux for my DH, it is picked up on the ship and we don't have to pack it, so it's a win-win! I wear a cocktail dress with some bling and my two DDs (13 and 15) wear something festive, like a pretty dress. Sometimes we wear our elegant garb to the show or we quick stop at the room to change into comfy wear. We got a terrific photo taken (see below:D) and used that for our Christmas card. Woo hoo!

Now, when my DH and I cruised without the DDs last September, we dressed nicely. Suit for him and nice restaurant/going to a wedding dress for me. That's how we roll!:)

Edited by momonthego17

We always dress up for our elegant nights ! Tux, Gown, the whole deal. We enjoy doing so as we don't get to do it much.

This discussion gets brought up quite often and it tends to divide cruisers into the "I am on vacation and I wear what I want" and the "It's formal (even though it's now called elegant) night, so dress up and show some respect" camps.

Either way, you will find cruisers dressed up, dressed down and anyway in between. Like I mentioned, we like to dress up, but we don't don't have any problems with folks just dressing down a bit because they have to dress up for work all the time. Now, if people show up in gym shorts and wife-beater shirts, that's a different story.....

Dress slacks, shoes, shirt and a tie. Sometimes a jacket. After dinner I ditch the tie/jacket and stay in my other attire sometimes, but other times I go back to casual, but not beach/pool side wear. Generally if I change I will stick to at least nice jeans and a nice shirt.

We used to do the tux and beaded dresses but last 7 or 8 cruises we have gone a LOT less formal.. Hubby now wears dress slacks and a dress long sleeved shirt, no tie. I wear black dress pants and kind of glitzy tops. No more heels either. Fancy sandals for me and a fancy evening bag.

I have NEVER seen this on one of my cruises. The closest I have ever seen was an old man the wore overalls every night including in those days formal night. It didn't bother me and I enjoyed seeing him having a good time with his family.

I wish someone would take a picture sometimes and just show us it really happens.

I really don't care. I could not tell you what my neighbor was wearing. I do look for ridiculous shoes some of the women wear and I can't help but notice when a 400 pound woman in front of me was wearing lycra/spandex dress. I am still trying to figure out what that large bump over her thong was. Oh yes, I could even make out the tag on her bra because it had some kind of raised lettering on it. She thought she looked so good, with her ton of make up, high heeled shoes, a dress a min of 3 sizes too small and the over powering perfume. Now that, I noticed, but if she had not been directly in front of me I wouldn't have.

Our first Carnival cruise was on the Fascination out of Norfolk quite a few years ago. There were literally hundreds of farmers on board. Men in coveralls and white t-shirts every night. That was back in the day when it was still called formal night. The wives had church going type dresses and they all carried their high heels until they got to the dining room then put them on. All over the ship we saw women with their shoes under their arm. It was funny but we weren't offended. After late dinner you could hardly find anyone out on the ship. I assume that being farmers they go to bed early. It was a different week to say the least. Bartenders were standing around doing nothing. Have never seen a group quite like that again.

I wear long khaki pants, a collared golf shirt, and my dress slippers.

I honestly have no idea how someone could equate how someone dresses to a meal as disrespectful. This isn't a "funeral" and shouldn't be compared to one.

If and when they allow shorts then I'll do that. I just do not care if you judge me on my attire at dinner, and I am not judging anyone on what they're wearing either. I'm going there to eat my meal with my own company.

I always get a big kick out of people who can't discern the difference between the old fashioned formal night and the current elegant night...well let us have the dictionary help us:

formal (in this context)...designed for wear or use at occasions or events marked by elaborate ceremony or prescribed social observance:

The formal attire included tuxedos and full-length gowns.

elegant...showing good taste : graceful and attractive.

No where in the definition of elegant is their a subset definition of good taste. And since graceful and attractive is include I would hazard a guess that there are lots of folks in gowns and tuxes whose character doesn't fit that bill.

I'll stand behind my assertions that elegant is more about decorum than clothes, and more about cleanliness than pomp.

99% of cruisers will wear respectable clothing that fits into their personal definitions of "good taste" and will be graceful enough to make sure their apparel is clean and tasteful.

This post is such fun!

As the OP, please remember its a poll - I only asked "what" everyone wears to Elegant night in 2015.

No need to editorialize and give us the "why". That's not what the post is supposed to be about.

I am glad to see that others wear a tux. I have only been on one cruise (five years ago) and I was on the fence deciding if I would bring my tux or a black suit. After reading the discussion on this thread, I have decided to bring my tux as I really want to get an anniversary picture with my wife as a keepsake and will probably use this occasion to sit for some photos.

I haven't read any of the posts, but I am annoyed with the title "formal night". Why do people insist on calling "Elegant night", Formal Night? Hello, it is not formal! You can be as formal as you want, but it is not required. Elegant is (to me anyway) what you might wear to a wedding or special business banquet dinner. No one needs to be formal if they choose not to. Just nicely dressed. How you interpret that is outlined in the guidelines on the Carnival site. How hard is that? JMOFWIW :rolleyes:

Well, I've seen it :cool: Did I get my panties in a twist about it? No, it was just noticeable that's all. Quite frankly, I was more disturbed by the family having a huge, loud fight amongst themselves. Dad finally told everyone to "shut the f... up, while waving a knife at Mom :eek:

My husband and are have never been the dress up type. However, we dress up for elegant night. With 2 cruises in the next six months my husband bought his first suit and I will wear a cocktail gown. Other than that every meal will be a minimum of a long sleeve dress shirt and slacks for him and a dress for me.

First off I want to say I like what Familyoutdoors said about dressing up

on formal nights. I like seeing people dress up because I think it gives you

a great feeling. I would wear a suit also if I could get one to fit me. I am

275 pounds with a neck that is so big I would have to have it custom made. So I wear my good shoes and nice slacks and a buttoned down collar shirt.

I am good to go and I feel good dressed up for a change. I am in shorts

most of the time on the ship so this a nice change.

HAPPY SAILING!!!

I just want to say that I love to people watch. Seeing ladies in formal wear & men in tuxes - love it! Oh, and the men in uniform - so sharp! One cruise there was a woman who looked like a princess - she & her hubby took pics & they were a beautiful pair! All our family portraits are from cruises since it is rare that we dress up & go out as a family at home.

I saw a couple who showed up for elegant night - woman in denim shorts and tee shirt and man in cut up jeans and a ratty looking shirt and they were refused. So yes, I do believe that they usually enforce it. May vary from ship to ship though.

I saw a couple who showed up for elegant night - woman in denim shorts and tee shirt and man in cut up jeans and a ratty looking shirt and they were refused. So yes, I do believe that they usually enforce it. May vary from ship to ship though.

Good!

Please let us know when you were sailing, and which ship. I hear stories like this all the time but have never witnessed anyone being that brash on elegant night.

Please let us know when you were sailing, and which ship. I hear stories like this all the time but have never witnessed anyone being that brash on elegant night.

I've never witnessed it either. But that doesn't mean it hasn't happened...

I wear a cocktail dress, or something that I would be ok with wearing to a wedding. Sometimes a sundress. But honestly I don't stay in it for the whole evening. I usually end up changing after dinner...