How do you dress for formal night(s)?

ladylyn915

In January, we did long gown & tux on 1st formal night, short cocktail dress & suit on 2nd formal night.

In May, we just did slacks for him & capris for me. It was a last minute trip just to get a scuba trip in our log books.

In September, we won't do ultra formal - maybe a maxi dress or capris again. We are flying to port that trip, so will try to pack light.

As far as staying dressed up, most of the time we go back to the cabin to get comfortable. Occasionally we've stayed dressed up so we can catch a show right after dinner, but not very often.

Edited by dmdiver

We love dressing nicely, with cocktail dresses, and suits for the men. I wore a beautiful red beaded gown on my birthday night, which was elegant night. I thought I would be the only one in a gown, but was not. Because of airline changes regarding baggage fees, that dress will not be packed because of the sheer weight of it. Nice cocktail dress instead.

I have stated before how sweet it is to see the young girls and boys all dressed up on elegant nights. The teen guys are looking good, checking out the pretty teen girls. I see them wearing their dresses all night. They look and feel pretty, and really seem to enjoy it. On the last cruise I noticed some teen girls dressed in the cutest cocktail dresses, and some other teen girls looking at them as if they wished they were dressed up. We know how girls like to dress nicely for prom, so they might want to dress up. Initially, they may think they will be the only teens dressed, but they won't be. So, for anyone with teens, just ask them, and let them know that others do dress up.

I know many folks don't like to get dressed up at all, but for those of you who still enjoy it,

In 2015, what will you wear on formal night?

Does anyone wear actual evening gowns? Does anyone still wear a tux? Do you stay "dressed" all night?

I'm curious to how formal nights on Carnival 7 day or longer cruises may have changed over the years....

Suit and tie for me, nice dress for DW. We usually don't change.

I know many folks don't like to get dressed up at all, but for those of you who still enjoy it,

In 2015, what will you wear on formal night?

Does anyone wear actual evening gowns? Does anyone still wear a tux? Do you stay "dressed" all night?

I'm curious to how formal nights on Carnival 7 day or longer cruises may have changed over the years....

My wife and I wear our formal clothes. She a nice evening gown and me an off white dinner jacket and a conventional tux pants, shirt and tie. During our 10+ cruises we have always dressed up and enjoyed our formal nights. If you do not want to dress up go to the buffet and eat. Let everyone else enjoy their dinner without looking at slobs. Yes we stay dressed for at least 2 hours after dinner. We have done this on all the cruise lines we have cruised with.

Suit or sportscoat and tie. Other nights cruise casual. I have also worn a tux on a few occasions, just because I look good in one, LOL. I currently do not have a tux that will fit(lost weight) so it will be suit until I get another. I also stay in my "formal attire" the rest of the night.

Edited by uncleg

Love , Love , Love all the replies!

As I said, I was not looking for advice - just wondering about the pulse of CC passengers these days.

I am so glad to hear so many folks still get dressed up. Over the years, DH has worn both- suits or the tux - but we always get dressed up - wedding attire.

My DH will wear his tux and I will wear a cocktail dress - at least the first elegant night. We have two this coming cruise.

Still thinking about the second night. It may depend on what fits in his luggage.

If he wears a tie, he has to wear a jacket (his rule-not mine). So, that tux may get double duty...

Edited by ladylyn915

My wife and I wear our formal clothes. She a nice evening gown and me an off white dinner jacket and a conventional tux pants, shirt and tie. During our 10+ cruises we have always dressed up and enjoyed our formal nights. If you do not want to dress up go to the buffet and eat. Let everyone else enjoy their dinner without looking at slobs. Yes we stay dressed for at least 2 hours after dinner. We have done this on all the cruise lines we have cruised with.

Why do all "how do you dress for elegant night" threads always denigrate into "if you do not want to dress up go to the buffet" attacks? Regardless of anything everyone has a different definition of being dressed up...right down to being dressed up if you wear something on your feet. Not "dressing up" has no correlation to being a "slob". A pair of slacks and a pressed cotton shirt does not equate to being a slob for either men or women...

For us, since we live a very, very casual lifestyle and don't wear formals, cocktail dresses, tuxes, suits, ties, sparkly tops, bling in our regular lives off of a ship we aren't about to purchase these to sail on a cruise ship. Slacks and a pressed shirt for men something other than beach wear for gals are our typical choices.

On Carnival DH wears his Navy blazer, grey slacks, shirt and tie. On other lines he wears a dark suit.

I wear a little black cocktail dress on Carnival and save my beaded evening wear for Princess, RCCL and MSC.

We still wear the tux and gown. What the heck else am I going to do with my tuxes. There is near zero occasion to wear them anymore. Ours is simply becoming a more casual world.

Ya got that right.

This was taken at the 1970 college world series

70crowd2.jpg

Husband wears a button down shirt with tie and dress slacks (his everyday work wear). I wear nice top and slacks... sometimes with a dressy soft jacket. I have to wear a suit every day to work so I have no interest in dressing up on a cruise, but I do it out of respect.

Also, I never wear shorts or beach attire in the DR no matter what day it is. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but you can put on capri pants and a decent looking top. I don't want to see anyone in a bathing suit at dinner... that's just me :)

My husband used to wear a suit or a sports coat, tie, dress pants etc. He took the jackets off as soon as he arrived in the dining room as he was always warm. He then changed to just wearing a dress shirt, dress pants etc. but no tie.

After that I started wearing dress slacks and a fancy top along with some dress shoes and jewelry. I stay in those clothes all night, but on Carnival many times DH went back to the cabin and changed into shorts and a golf shirt.

If people want to dress to the nines, that's fine with me. I just don't think that on Carnival it's necessary and I guess I have cruised enough that I don't feel I need to get pictures taken so I don't feel I have to dress up that much.

Having lived in FL for many years, the casual life is far more to my liking.

We were never tux and ball gowns types of people, Hubby wore suit and tie, son wore nice shirt, nice slacks, nice shoes and tie and I wore dresses suitable for formal weddings or cocktail parties. As we have progressed, (and as more people became more casual about formal nights) Hubby will usually wear nice shirt and slack - sometimes with tie and I will wear a nice dress or nice slacks with a sparkly (or at least dressy) top.

Usually there are people fancier than us, but many are less dressed up so we never feel out of place. And we don't have to pack as much... :D

As we age we find we just want to cruise and enjoy without all the fuss!

Husband wears a button down shirt with tie and dress slacks (his everyday work wear). I wear nice top and slacks... sometimes with a dressy soft jacket. I have to wear a suit every day to work so I have no interest in dressing up on a cruise, but I do it out of respect.

Also, I never wear shorts or beach attire in the DR no matter what day it is. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but you can put on capri pants and a decent looking top. I don't want to see anyone in a bathing suit at dinner... that's just me :)

Yep - I agree! Will often wear nice capris and cute top when eating in the dining room... You would never catch me in a tee shirt and shorts unless at the buffet.

On Carnival DH wears his Navy blazer, grey slacks, shirt and tie. On other lines he wears a dark suit.

I wear a little black cocktail dress on Carnival and save my beaded evening wear for Princess, RCCL and MSC.

So interesting, sounds like you enjoy getting dressed up. Why not on Carnival?